GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 101 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,703
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,279
Posts1,057,732
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001253
12/12/20 05:10 PM
12/12/20 05:10 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
,@Giacomo_Vacari
Do you have any info on JOE VENZA or NICK GUASTELLA?

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001283
12/13/20 04:48 AM
12/13/20 04:48 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Andrew Bucaro- known as Andy Curly. Born in 1906 in New Jersey. Lived in Manhattan. Frequented Manhattan, Brooklyn, New Jersey, and before his 1960 arrest also Bay area to Visit Nick Guastella, and the Ditri brothers, there is supposedly a picture of Bucaro and Frank Garofalo at Garofalo box making plant in Mercer California. Arrests for Robbery, Shooting (1931), bootlegging a couple of times. Associates, Frank and Vincenzo Garofalo, Natale Evola, Nick Guastella, Giuseppe Venza, Eugene Tramaglino, the Aloi's, Salvatore Mussachio, Joe Armone, Tommy Russo, Pietro Novello and Girolamo Licata of Sicily, the DiPalermo brothers, and Joe Zicarelli of New Jersey. A protege of Nick Guastella. Traveled to Sicily frequently in the 1920s and 1930s. Made at the age of 26 in 1930 or 1931. Identified as a soldier in Natale Evola crew. Believed to smuggle narcotics until his arrest in 1944 in connection with bootlegging. After his 1960 arrest, was quiet except for attending a dinner for Natale Evola getting out of prison in the late 1960s, Giuseppe Buccellato, Stefano Cannone, Peter Licata, and Angelo Caruso were in attendance. Passed away in 1980.

Nicolo Guastella- Born in 1896 in Palermo. Emigrated to the United States in 1921, living Manhattan. Mentor to Andrew Bucaro and Eugene Tramaglino. Made trips to Sicily in the 1920s, one of which was in the company of Andrew Bucaro and at least two different occasions was living in Sicily during that time. Arrests for homicide, bootlegging, vagrancy, detained on suspicion of harboring a fugitive. Associates, Vito Mule, Bill Bonanno, the Ditri brothers, Frank Garofalo, Joe Venza, Salvatore Vassello, Frank Buffa, Salvatore Cerrito, Giovanni Bello, Salvatore Profaci, Santo Vultaggio, and Natale Evola. Made either in Sicily and transferred membership, or made during the Castellammarese war. Moved to Monterey California in the 1940s. Owned a construction company and listed his occupation as carpenter. Reported to both Frank Garofalo and Joe Venza. When Joe Venza retired and moved back to Sicily, the west coast Bonannos were split into two crews, with Bill Bonanno becoming Capo over the Arizona members, and John Bello becoming Capo over the Bay Area members in California. Bello would last a couple of years before Nick took his spot. Passed away in 1977.

Salvatore Giglio- Known as Salvatore Galante, Little Sal, Salvatore king, and Mr. Phillips. Born in 1906 NYC. Lived in Montreal, Manhattan, and the Bronx. Arrests for Narcotics which had one conviction, trespassing. Associates, Carmine Galante, Natale Evola, Mike Sabella, Nicholas Marangello, John Petrone, Joe Notaro, Joe Biondo, Joe DiPalermo, and Peter Licata of New York City, Joe Cotroni, Paolo Violi, Luigi Greco, Nicolo Rizzuto, and Giovanni Papalia of Montreal, Rosario Mancuso of Utica, Joe Zicarelli, and Nick Alfano of New Jersey. Made in the late 1940s. Frequented Montreal and NYC. Moved to Canada with Galante, was deported back to US. Known as an international drug dealer. Served in Galante crew. Worked at E and Q Trucking company, and was a salesman for Theta Electronics Company. Loyal member to Carmine Galante, after Galante was killed, sideline.for the rest of his career. Passed away in 2006

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1001305
12/13/20 12:48 PM
12/13/20 12:48 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
@Giacomo_Vacari
How about BIAGO RESTIVO, ANGELO SALVO, VITO DE FILLIPO, SALVATORE MIRABILE and JOSEPH SPADARO? Obviously, I know the first three are more prominent members.

I would also be curious to have your analysis/opinions on the membership of the Family?

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 12/13/20 12:49 PM.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1003178
01/12/21 05:41 PM
01/12/21 05:41 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

Its something that was brought up in another thread that makes me wonder. We know this group, historically (outside of Joe's clique) this wasn't a powerhouse group, earning wise. What exactly were the Di Gregorio/Sciacca/Rastelli faction fighting to obtain control of? Was it the title (boss)? Was it simply, they didn't want to pay tribute?

I say this because, alot of the legitimate power went with Joe, apparently he was still involved in the international drug trade by way of contacts in Canada (surely he still had more pull then Sciacca and Rastelli).

Its just interesting how they went from close-knit, secretive and clannish, to completely unraveling in 10yrs.

Joe must've been cracking them with the tribute for them to think Di gregorio, Sciacca and Rastelli were better choices. lol we all know how that turned out for them. They did alot of fighting for nothing in my opinion

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 01/12/21 05:41 PM.

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1003543
01/22/21 12:50 AM
01/22/21 12:50 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

Although its a couple days past and he is a controversial figure, I have to say Happy Belated Birthday to the real DON PEPPINO, Joe Bonanno.

Alot of people may wonder my interest in his story in Cosa Nostra. I've studied this subject for the better part of 20 years. In the beginning, I was on the "joe bananas" no respect train like everyone else. But the most curious thing for me was, How Did This Guy Survive The Gambino/Lucchese Hit??? In my research, your not supposed to survive that. Needless to say, whatever you believe, he did. He is the epitome of a Survivor, lived to be 97, an Original Commission Member, participant in the legendary Castellamare war, Founder of the Family that bares his name but not his image or legacy. In my research of him, I learned to truest meaning of Cosa Nostra and a Mafioso. As a Boss, there isn't anything he didn't accomplish. Not saying, he was the best (clearly thats Carlo Gambino, Tommy Lucchesse, Tony Accardo and Joe Zerilli), Bonanno was a trailblazer and pioneer in the life as a Boss and as a human, he was a fox and a Survivor. Anyway, I'm sure this might get some heat. (I am open to debate however).

I have to say , Don Peppino, Joseph Bonanno 🥃 Salute

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1030270
02/20/22 08:51 AM
02/20/22 08:51 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

Does anyone know specific rackets or businesses of the Arizona crew?

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1030272
02/20/22 10:05 AM
02/20/22 10:05 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino

There basically weren't any rackets operated there. The men, some of whom were inducted members, generally just chose to retire to Arizona with Joe Bonanno when he left NYC. The were mostly older by that point in time and were either completely retired, or were semi-retired. A few ran small businesses like bakeries, etc. But "technically speaking" there was no formal "crew" and there were no "rackets" per se.

Only Joe's two idiot sons, got involved with a few stupid criminal acts. But all in all, it was over for them! (whatever connections Joe still had and whatever he may have done separately was just that, separate from any crew activity per se).

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1030277
02/20/22 01:56 PM
02/20/22 01:56 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

I was speaking of during the 50's. Was Joe Venza just looking over Joe's legitimate interest there and in California???

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1030286
02/20/22 02:57 PM
02/20/22 02:57 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
California Bay Area, they had interests in Appeal City, a garment center in San Francisco shared with San Francisco crime family, sweatshops, Construction, narcotics, car dealerships, a box making plant, bars (two bar, one of which was involved in an arson for insurance by San Jose crime family after the associate bought it in the early 1970s, and a decade later it was set on fire, honky tonks scene.) Bookmaking. Orchards. Grand theft auto.

Southern California- Narcotics, Gambling, Bookmaking, garment industry, sweatshops, car dealerships, cheese company until mid 1950s, talent agencies, fishing boots, trucking, and restaurants.

Arizona- Narcotics, ranching, trucking, bakeries, restaurants, construction, delivery services, bookmaking,

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1030905
03/03/22 10:51 PM
03/03/22 10:51 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

Giacomo_Vacari or NYM

Does anyone know of DiGregorio-Sciacca solider Joe Badalamonte? Killed during the Bananas War in Bay ridge Feb 1965?

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: NYMafia] #1031019
03/06/22 06:02 PM
03/06/22 06:02 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by NYMafia

Only Joe's two idiot sons, got involved with a few stupid criminal acts. But all in all, it was over for them! (whatever connections Joe still had and whatever he may have done separately was just that, separate from any crew activity per se).

When I watch Bill Bonanno talk like a tough guy, I just laugh...Like Junior Gotti, without his old man, he'd be nothing

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: DiLorenzo] #1031027
03/06/22 09:54 PM
03/06/22 09:54 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted by DiLorenzo

When I watch Bill Bonanno talk like a tough guy, I just laugh...Like Junior Gotti, without his old man, he'd be nothing

I agree Bill was a lousy mobster. But I do respect him for one thing. Like alot of guys, he was really only there trying to protect his father. Obviously it's always about money at the end of the day but on a human level, I think alot of the bloodline guys also have this as a motivation. That's an often over looked aspect of what's really going on

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1031031
03/06/22 11:01 PM
03/06/22 11:01 PM
N
Njein Offline
Capo
Njein  Offline
N
Capo

I agree Bill was a lousy mobster. But I do respect him for one thing. Like alot of guys, he was really only there trying to protect his father. Obviously it's always about money at the end of the day but on a human level, I think alot of the bloodline guys also have this as a motivation. That's an often over looked aspect of what's really going on

I think Santo Trafficante Jr. was the true inspiration for Michael Corleone rather than Bill Bonanno. Also, did Big Paulie Castellano have any interaction with the Bonanno family pre-1964? If so, in what rackets and with whom?

Last edited by Njein; 03/06/22 11:10 PM.
Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1031033
03/06/22 11:37 PM
03/06/22 11:37 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss

He was a good son, no doubt about that, and you can tell that by the way Joe Bonanno talked about him

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1031041
03/07/22 11:28 AM
03/07/22 11:28 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
California Bay Area, they had interests in Appeal City, a garment center in San Francisco shared with San Francisco crime family, sweatshops, Construction, narcotics, car dealerships, a box making plant, bars (two bar, one of which was involved in an arson for insurance by San Jose crime family after the associate bought it in the early 1970s, and a decade later it was set on fire, honky tonks scene.) Bookmaking. Orchards. Grand theft auto.

Southern California- Narcotics, Gambling, Bookmaking, garment industry, sweatshops, car dealerships, cheese company until mid 1950s, talent agencies, fishing boots, trucking, and restaurants.

Arizona- Narcotics, ranching, trucking, bakeries, restaurants, construction, delivery services, bookmaking,

You don't give any sources as usual. Is this info from old news stories, FBI reports, or a book?

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1031050
03/07/22 05:21 PM
03/07/22 05:21 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
[/quote]

I think Santo Trafficante Jr. was the true inspiration for Michael Corleone rather than Bill Bonanno. Also, did Big Paulie Castellano have any interaction with the Bonanno family pre-1964? If so, in what rackets and with whom?
[/quote]

I haven't been able to truely find anything that would tie them business wise. Castellano is really well documented as a boss but his earlier days are not as public. I would say Castellano was just another soldier (although he was a earner due to family connections early on) until the mid 50s when Gambino succedes Frank Scalise as the Head of the Palermantani. Paul became Capo around 1956. I do know that during the aftermath of the Anastasia hit, one of Paul's meat Factories was a meeting at least once. I'd have to image that they had peripheral dealings at best. Paul was in Brooklyn before operating in Staten Island so he definitely knew some people. The FBN named Carmine Galante as an associate in his file in 1961.

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1031054
03/07/22 06:17 PM
03/07/22 06:17 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
The wedding was based on Bill Bonanno's wedding, not Michael's character

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: jace] #1031089
03/08/22 05:23 AM
03/08/22 05:23 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Originally Posted by jace

You don't give any sources as usual. Is this info from old news stories, FBI reports, or a book?

Research Frank Garofalo, Nick Guastella, Tony and Dan Ditri, Tony and John Bello, Tony Canzoneri, Charles Battaglia, Santo Manfre, Vito Mule, Peter Sciortino, Michael Angelina, John Petrone, Nino Rizzuto (No relation to Montreal). There are others but that should help you piece things together. The FBN, FBI, California and Arizona LE Agencies has info on the activities. These members also had associates around them who were actually doing the heavy part of the activities.

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1031292
03/13/22 12:02 AM
03/13/22 12:02 AM
N
Njein Offline
Capo
Njein  Offline
N
Capo
Any info on the following Bonanno members:

FRANK MISTRETTA
PHILLIP TARTAGLIA
SALVATORE MARCHESE
MICHAEL "BIG MIKE" ALLEGATO
VINCENT "TAPPY" SOVIERO

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1032220
03/30/22 12:08 PM
03/30/22 12:08 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss

Research Frank Garofalo, Nick Guastella, Tony and Dan Ditri, Tony and John Bello, Tony Canzoneri, Charles Battaglia, Santo Manfre, Vito Mule, Peter Sciortino, Michael Angelina, John Petrone, Nino Rizzuto (No relation to Montreal). There are others but that should help you piece things together. The FBN, FBI, California and Arizona LE Agencies has info on the activities. These members also had associates around them who were actually doing the heavy part of the activities.

So you have no source to show, just as I thought.

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: jace] #1032227
03/30/22 02:20 PM
03/30/22 02:20 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar

So you have no source to show, just as I thought.

Oh no, I have sources. I am just tired of the laziness of your generation who won't work to find the information. Trust me when I say the information is out there. You just want it to he handed to you, without it costing anything.
Here are some info for you.
FBI #2534540
NYC PD# B66994
FBI #452993A
Happy hunting.

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1034207
05/07/22 06:51 AM
05/07/22 06:51 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

Giacomo_Vacari
Have you (or anyone else) heard of Frank Mallamaci? The New York Times linked him to a Jersey case with "Bayonne" Joe Zicarelli. The labeled him as his lieutenant, Do you know of him being a made guy?

Also stumbled upon fbi docs that name a Dr. Mario Tagliagambe as a made guy. Do you know anything on him? I know Bonanno stated in his book "we had legitimate businessmen, doctors, lawyers, accountants...." I know he had a son in law Dr. Greg Genovese who was allegedly made in the L.A Family.

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 05/07/22 06:56 AM.

Re: The Bonanno Family Organization circa 1956-1968 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1034210
05/07/22 07:05 AM
05/07/22 07:05 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Dr. Tagliagambe was allegedly straightened out. I do not believe Mallameci was. He may have been close to Zicarelli, but in the old days LE often used that term "lieutenant" very loosely. It didn't carry the same meaning as today.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull