GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (JGil916, 1 invisible), 133 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,712
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,280
Posts1,057,756
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Don Vito’s Home Office #1003513
01/20/21 05:04 PM
01/20/21 05:04 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline OP
The Don
J Geoff  Offline OP
The Don

New Jersey, USA

An old "friend of ours" was curious about the plaque hanging in Don Vito's office -- I'm wondering if anyone knows what it's all about?

I found the following interesting article by a (presumably former) college student while researching: Office Space: Don Vito’s Home Office, and Michael’s

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files DonVitoOffice2.jpgDonVitoOffice3.jpg
Last edited by J Geoff; 01/20/21 05:18 PM. Reason: Added 2nd pic

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Don Vito’s Home Office [Re: J Geoff] #1003679
01/25/21 02:25 AM
01/25/21 02:25 AM
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
Signor Vitelli Offline
Underboss
Signor Vitelli  Offline
Underboss
Bar Vitelli, Queens, NY
A good question. Actually, I've been wondering about this for years.

First off, I confess I don't know what is is, either. I do have a few theories as to what it isn't.

I don't know if I'd call it a plaque. It looks like something framed. It looks to me like it's something flat mounted on a piece of brown paper. Or, perhaps, the image and brown background are printed together, as one? The reason I think it's flat is because it seems to throw no shadow within the frame. Notice how the frame itself has such depth that it casts a shadow on the wall. But whatever's within the frame casts no shadow - hence, the assumption that what-ever-it-is is flat. Also, it appears to be mounted asymmetrically - meaning that there's background space on the top and two sides, but it doesn't look like there's corresponding space along the bottom side.

It doesn't look like it's a "shadow box" - there would have to be more depth within the framed area for that.

So, what is it? It could be anything. It appears to have three areas, but while the overall shape seems roughly symmetrical, the image (?) itself doesn't appear to be. But, that's not to say it might not be something photographic, like fragments of a picture (pictures?) or something like that. Fragmentary photos that Vito saved, coming to America? The central image or images look like they're black and white. (A piece of snakeskin?) It doesn't look like it's any sort of document, or printed text.

One might think about what else is in the office, as far as decor. The painting over the mantel, other pictures, items, etc. And imagine, if you were Vito, what would be cherished or valuable to you? What would you want to be reminded of, or look at all the time? I think we can safely assume it would have nothing to do with "business".

Then again, look at it from the point of view of Dean Tavoularis, the designer: While a designer would seek to dress the set with items that would be appropriate and "fit", he would not want (nor would Coppola have approved) any one item drawing undue attention away from what was going on in the scene itself. A piece of scenery should never upstage the actors.

Dean Tavoularis is still alive, though he's 88 and recently sold his home in California. Don't know his present location or any way to contact him off the top of my head. If anybody would know, I would think he would - or maybe someone who worked as his assistant? Just guessing about all this.

To sum up - yeah, I've looked at the film over and over until my eyes ached and I still can't hazard a guess. You'd think that with all the HiDef-Ultra-Remastered-WhateverItIs versions that seem to come out every three weeks or so, we would finally be able to enlarge a screenshot and get a definitive answer, once and for all! confused

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull