GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ciment, Big_Tuna93), 118 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,712
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,280
Posts1,057,753
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #1004788
02/10/21 02:16 AM
02/10/21 02:16 AM
C
CaLoyalty Offline
Associate
CaLoyalty  Offline
C
Associate
I think he certainly did at the beginning, but after meeting and losing Apollonia, I don't think he had the ability to feel true love anymore, at least in a romantic sense. I always thought Pacino did an incredible job portraying this in the scene where he greets Kay in NH. His words seem scripted, and his slight hesitation in saying that what's important is that they have a life together, have children etc. to me betrayed the fact that this was purely a transactional marriage for him

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: olivant] #1004808
02/10/21 12:44 PM
02/10/21 12:44 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by The Last Woltz

I also think it's highly unlikely that there was an actual divorce or any kind of formal visitation agreement. Michael would never have allowed his personal affairs to be aired in court.

At the beginning of III, Kay shows up at Michael's Church ceremony with her husband, Douglas. I doubt she was a bigamist.

Originally Posted by olivant
Now, this is a quandary.

I agree with Woltz that Michael would not want the exposure of his underbelly that would be the product of a divorce. On the other hand, as TB states, Kay was not a bigamist. So, what transpired?

Well, maybe Michael made a deal with Kay about a quiet divorce that would not expose his underbelly and her abortion: You give me the kids and I won't ruin your life. On the other hand, Michael's underbelly was already exposed by the Senate hearings. However, Michael would have been cautioned by legal counsel that once ya'll are divorced, your marital privilege (regarding testimony) disappears. Maybe he followed that advice until he made the decision to entrust the kids education to Kay. Of course, we don't know when that would have taken place: grade -school, high-school, college?

There are so many mitigating factors to consider here.

Good points, TB and Oli.

You're right, they got divorced at some point. But there's no way Michael would have allowed a contentious divorce proceeding in open court. Kay probably leveraged that to get control of the kids' education.

After 1970, no-fault divorce was available in parts of the US. That would have allowed Kay and Michael to simply state something anodyne ("We have irreconcilable differences.") and prove they no longer lived together to get the divorce. No court testimony needed.

So I'll assume they remained legally married until the early 1970s and then divorced on paper. That would have given Kay plenty of time to re-marry before the events of GFIII in 1979.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: The Last Woltz] #1004868
02/10/21 07:41 PM
02/10/21 07:41 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
Originally Posted by The Last Woltz
I'm not arguing that Kay was Mother of the Year.

But to claim that she "abandoned" the children is just wrong. That, by definition, would mean that she cut off contact with the children, which is clearly not the case.

In fact, she must have had pretty open lines of contact to both the children and Michael if she was able to persuade Michael - not exactly a guy to let bygones be bygones - to allow her to take over the children's education.

I don't think that Michael didn't know Kay was visiting the children. I think that Michael would have done more than close a door in Kay's face if he and Connie were conspiring against his wishes.

I also think it's highly unlikely that there was an actual divorce or any kind of formal visitation agreement. Michael would never have allowed his personal affairs to be aired in court.

My inference is different! At that time of the abortion scene, she did cut off contact with the children, she ceased to support and look after them when they needed her most

whatever arrangements made, would have all been on Michael's terms I reckon she would have had no leverage whatsoever to get the divorce, to get control of the kids' education

As Michael said in his letter I entrusted your education to your mother

Michael didn't know Kay was visiting the children Otherwise he'd want to know a day in advance so he won't be there
He couldn't have done more than close a door in Kay's face in front of the children and Connie

The time lapse when Godfather 3 came around / in between 2 and 3, is lengthy
We are none the wiser as to lines of contact, when Kay got the children, when they divorced

No doubt it is nice, fun to flesh out the different opinions, interpretations, speculations, knowledge of the Forum members, in the spirit of the Board

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull