GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 97 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,190
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 45 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 44 45
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Lilo] #759429
01/20/14 05:49 AM
01/20/14 05:49 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read one I got for Christmas. John Grisham's new one, Sycamore Row. It's not bad but lets face it, Mr Grisham has been writing the same story for the last 15 years!!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #759434
01/20/14 07:26 AM
01/20/14 07:26 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
Just read one I got for Christmas. John Grisham's new one, Sycamore Row. It's not bad but lets face it, Mr Grisham has been writing the same story for the last 15 years!!

Sadly that is true. I remember reading Grisham's first book ("A Time to Kill") and thought it was absolutely wonderful. I later read an article about him and his success. The article mentioned how Grisham wrote the first book - he had lots of time with which to write the first three quarters of it, and it really showed in the quality of the story. The last quarter was rushed a bit, and it changed the whole pace of the story (although I still enjoyed it). Each one of his following novels has degenerated a bit. I still would read his stuff but I don't look forward as anxiously as I once did.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #759450
01/20/14 01:07 PM
01/20/14 01:07 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
It was on clearance on Amazon for the kindle, so I grabbed it for $4. I read it for a little bit, and put it aside when I was able to get some of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series from my library. That is one author that does NOT get stale, unlike Cornwell and Grisham, who I really haven't enjoyed in a long time.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #759611
01/21/14 05:47 PM
01/21/14 05:47 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

I just read the memoir Yes, Chef by one of my favorite celebrity chefs, Marcus Samuelsson. A fascinating journey from Ethiopia, to Sweden, to America.

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: J Geoff] #759656
01/22/14 05:53 AM
01/22/14 05:53 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
NOW AND THEN:A MEMOIR,FROM CONEY ISLAND TO HERE by Joseph Heller. Interesting read about the life of famous Catch 22 author. Enjoyed it!!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #759825
01/23/14 09:25 AM
01/23/14 09:25 AM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
I often read books a second time and it always amazes me to see how much I missed the first time. In college and work I always read and re read reports Etc to be sure I understood them. I just re-read Vinnie Gorgeous (Basciano). I previously gave it a so-so review on the forum, but now think I was wrong. This time I enjoyed thee entire book, not just the first half as I previously stated. Basciano was no angel to be sure but it pisses me off that the fat pig Massino may someday be out because he was a back stabber - like so many of them are.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: bigboy] #761546
02/02/14 07:25 PM
02/02/14 07:25 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: bigboy
This time I enjoyed thee entire book, not just the first half as I previously stated. Basciano was no angel to be sure but it pisses me off that the fat pig Massino may someday be out because he was a back stabber - like so many of them are.

Massino was actually given time served not too long ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/massi...ticle-1.1398122

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 02/02/14 07:27 PM.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #765305
02/23/14 09:41 PM
02/23/14 09:41 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro

BATTLE ROYALE

This was a little bit of a difficult book for me to read. Not due to language or anything like that. I think I just preferred the movie more than the novel. For those unaware, this is basically like THE HUNGER GAMES only it takes place in Japan, was written in 1999 and is a bit more violent.

The movie is pretty spot on to the novel but the novel gives some details on characters that I thought weren't really needed. For example, we're given a back story about 2 students who are first introduced to the reader and then a handful of pages later are dead. There are 40 students in this game and there can only be one winner (that's a lot of back stories and can be confusing from time to time). The film's good and it's one of Quentin Tarantino's favorites. However, I still enjoyed THE HUNGER GAMES more overall. The only thing I like more about BATTLE ROYALE compared to it is this has more violence and isn't afraid to not tone it down. I understand it's about kids killing kids but I also understand that it's just a novel.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #765658
02/26/14 07:21 AM
02/26/14 07:21 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I recently finished "Black House" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It's a sequel to their work "The Talisman". The child hero of that book, Jack Sawyer, is 20-22 years older and is a retired (his family was wealthy) former LAPD cop who has moved to Wisconsin.

But there's a serial child killer on the loose who proves to have links to places and experiences Jack has forgotten about. "Black House" also has been written to bring in links to King's "Dark Tower" series.

It was fun trying to pick out just who wrote what. The story was very hard core horror though and not for faint of heart.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #765665
02/26/14 09:45 AM
02/26/14 09:45 AM
Cajunland
LaLouisiane Offline
Cajun Mafia
LaLouisiane  Offline
Cajun Mafia
Underboss
Cajunland
I might be the last guy on here but I recently read "Jaws". I have had the movies part I-IV since I was a child and can pretty much quote them back to you.

I was surprised how far the book and movie differed. From the affair with Hooper, to the mafia involvement, to the way quint died and lastly how the shark died.

I think that's one time I can recall that the movie and book were polar opposites but they both came off as equally intriguing.

"What are you cacklin' hens cluckin' about?!?!"

"Is that him?!? With the sombrero on?!?"

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #765670
02/26/14 10:44 AM
02/26/14 10:44 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands

And we keep reading them. All these popular, fiction authors do the same thing. It's their style and we like it. I read Sycamore Row also. It was enjoyable. I put up with the repetition that is interspersed with plot twists, drama and character portrayals.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #765672
02/26/14 10:51 AM
02/26/14 10:51 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Recently read Dan Brown's "Inferno". Aptly named, it should have been thrown into the inferno. The actual plot could have been boiled down to 50 pages. He spent 200 pages describing Florence, Italy and all the art work. I've been to Florence, so I found some of it interesting.

Scott Turow's "Identical". Ambivalent. Interesting concept, but delivered in a confusing manner (maybe it was me). Not high on my recommend list.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: MaryCas] #765682
02/26/14 11:36 AM
02/26/14 11:36 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
This past week I read James Joyce's Ulysses for the fourth time in my life. I last read it in 2001, and the 13 1/2 year gap was too long for this quintessential Modernist novel, and one of the greatest literary achievements in history. The twisting narrative techniques, the brutal depths of the stream of consciousness where the novel itself exerts its own consciousness, the richness and creativity of language to propel the well designed themes, rich in cultural, historic, religious and litereary allusions make this something much more than a reading experience.

I also read George Eliot's Middlemarch for the third time last month. It's, of course, a classic Victorian novel that is much different in style and content than Joyce's work, but a masterpiece nonetheless. In elegant prose Eliot captures not only the separations of class, but also the subtle distinctions within class.

I place both of these books as the greatest novels in the English language.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #765771
02/26/14 10:27 PM
02/26/14 10:27 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I've been getting books from the library, which is somehow (I'm not technical, so, no, I don't know how) is able to beam you books onto your Kindle for three weeks. I tend to get books that I don't care if I keep or not.

I'm still on my Harry Bosch kick. I like author Michael Connelly and am in the middle of one where he brought his two mott famous characters, Bosch and Lincoln lawyer Mickey Haller, together to solve a case.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #765947
02/27/14 10:58 PM
02/27/14 10:58 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: klydon1
This past week I read James Joyce's Ulysses for the fourth time in my life. I last read it in 2001, and the 13 1/2 year gap was too long for this quintessential Modernist novel, and one of the greatest literary achievements in history. The twisting narrative techniques, the brutal depths of the stream of consciousness where the novel itself exerts its own consciousness, the richness and creativity of language to propel the well designed themes, rich in cultural, historic, religious and litereary allusions make this something much more than a reading experience.
Sounds good! *scribbles 'Joyce' into notepad...* wink

I've barely read anything of length in the past few years so decided to make an active effort to up my reading at New Year. Finished Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy, Graham Greene's The Quiet American and Jonathan Rendall's This Bloody Mary is the Last Thing I Own. I recommend the latter if you're into boxing. Turnbull would love it, if he's not already familiar with it (I suspect he is).

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #765994
02/28/14 11:18 AM
02/28/14 11:18 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

I've barely read anything of length in the past few years so decided to make an active effort to up my reading at New Year. Finished Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy, Graham Greene's The Quiet American and Jonathan Rendall's This Bloody Mary is the Last Thing I Own. I recommend the latter if you're into boxing. Turnbull would love it, if he's not already familiar with it (I suspect he is).

Wonderful to see you on the boards, and I admit that more than once I thought about you as I immersed myself in Ulysses because I remember once or twice discussing it with you. Particularly, I remember saying that I've tried to conquer Finnegan's Wake , but concluded that it requires a far more evolved literary mind than mine to read it with the intelligence it deserves. I felt that you have the ability to do it justice.

I know that your current career keeps you very busy, but have you ever had the chance/desire to jump into Finnegan's Wake ? I just may attempt to approach it again before I die. I may read some more analyses and commentaries to make it more comfortable to start it again.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #766003
02/28/14 12:06 PM
02/28/14 12:06 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I really must read Ulysses before I die!!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #766029
02/28/14 02:19 PM
02/28/14 02:19 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
In case any of you Joyce fans make it to NYC on Bloomsday, lots of cheer to go around. I had a friend who never missed it. Of course he was an Irishman who liked to raise a glass or two,four,six,eight.

Bloomsday Celebrations

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: MaryCas] #766157
03/01/14 11:52 AM
03/01/14 11:52 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: MaryCas
In case any of you Joyce fans make it to NYC on Bloomsday, lots of cheer to go around. I had a friend who never missed it. Of course he was an Irishman who liked to raise a glass or two,four,six,eight.

Bloomsday Celebrations

I never attended a Bloomsday event, but I've heard about them all over the world. Dublin, which was pretty much spared by the world wars, still has most of the landmarks it did on June 16, 1904, the day on which the novel takes place (also the day on which Joyce actually met his wife). It's an Irish holiday as many make their way through the locations, including an establishment, called Davy Byrene's where Leopold Bloom had lunch. Interestingly, Ireland was the last country to lift its ban of the book.

The events of Bloomsday are observed around the globe. while the novel takes place in Ireland and touch a bit on Irish history, the effect of the Church on Ireland, Irish nationalism and the English occupation of Ireland, the themes are universal. It's more of an experience than a book.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #766498
03/03/14 10:34 PM
03/03/14 10:34 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK

Wonderful to see you on the boards, and I admit that more than once I thought about you as I immersed myself in Ulysses because I remember once or twice discussing it with you. Particularly, I remember saying that I've tried to conquer Finnegan's Wake , but concluded that it requires a far more evolved literary mind than mine to read it with the intelligence it deserves. I felt that you have the ability to do it justice.

I know that your current career keeps you very busy, but have you ever had the chance/desire to jump into Finnegan's Wake ? I just may attempt to approach it again before I die. I may read some more analyses and commentaries to make it more comfortable to start it again.
Cheers Klyd - always nice to drop by.

I still haven't read Finnegans Wake. Though I did meet a film programmer in Santiago de Compostela last year who translated it into Galician! I've been advised it's best consumed alongside an audio book, where the sounds and rhythms of the work take on a real musicality. I'd like to get to it someday. Part of the reason I haven't read much fiction at all in recent years is that everything felt like a disappointment after Ulysses.

Alongside my work as a film critic, I'm a programming consultant for several film festivals, one of which is Bradford International Film Festival (BIFF) in the north of England. Next month, I'll be seeing The Joycean Society at said festival, a doc on a group of Joyce enthusiasts who meet up in Zurich to read Finnegans Wake. Sounds like an idiosyncratic but accessible film; my colleague Neil Young (not that one), who programmed it as co-director of BIFF, wrote about it here. Keep a look out!

I've just started a book on Joe Dante, and am about to begin Simon Winlow's Badfellas.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Don Cardi] #766546
03/04/14 10:41 AM
03/04/14 10:41 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read crime author king James Lee Burke's new book, LIGHT OF THE WORLD. He is a master no doubt and I have read all his books, it's just they are all starting to seem a bit the same now. Possibly I read to many books.....

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #766559
03/04/14 12:04 PM
03/04/14 12:04 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Cheers Klyd - always nice to drop by.

I still haven't read Finnegans Wake. Though I did meet a film programmer in Santiago de Compostela last year who translated it into Galician! I've been advised it's best consumed alongside an audio book, where the sounds and rhythms of the work take on a real musicality. I'd like to get to it someday. Part of the reason I haven't read much fiction at all in recent years is that everything felt like a disappointment after Ulysses.

Alongside my work as a film critic, I'm a programming consultant for several film festivals, one of which is Bradford International Film Festival (BIFF) in the north of England. Next month, I'll be seeing The Joycean Society at said festival, a doc on a group of Joyce enthusiasts who meet up in Zurich to read Finnegans Wake. Sounds like an idiosyncratic but accessible film; my colleague Neil Young (not that one), who programmed it as co-director of BIFF, wrote about it here. Keep a look out!

I've just started a book on Joe Dante, and am about to begin Simon Winlow's Badfellas.

I didn't know that there were enough people speaking Galician in the world to require a translation, but if one undaunted Galician-speaking person wants to grapple with Finnegan's Wake, so be it.

I'm fascinated by the suggestion of reading it alongside an audio tape to gain a sense of the rhythm and music of the novel. As I was reading some of Bloom's complex stream of consciousness monologues in Ulysses, I sensed a rhythm in the text that made them easier to understand. Some of the passages I read aloud...after my wife and daughter were sleeping.

I look forward to the Joycean documentary. These people apparently have devoted their lives collectively to this work, and I'm eager to hear what they have to say. They have to have stunning streks of madness blended with their brilliance. Best of luck with your ambitious career. If you will be reviewing The Joycean Society, I'll keep my eyes open on Facebook for a link to your review.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #766591
03/04/14 01:50 PM
03/04/14 01:50 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I have decided to read me some William Faulkner works!! For some reason I have never read any, this will have to change, apparently he is quite good whistle

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #766618
03/04/14 04:10 PM
03/04/14 04:10 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I just finished "Orange is the New Black," by Piper Kernan. Very well written account of 13 months spent in a Federal lockup after being involved in a drugs/money laundering scheme 9 years earlier. Not at all brutal--written with feeling and full of humanity. Highly recommended.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #766684
03/04/14 10:38 PM
03/04/14 10:38 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I have decided to read me some William Faulkner works!! For some reason I have never read any, this will have to change, apparently he is quite good whistle

One of my favorite authors.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #766798
03/06/14 05:21 AM
03/06/14 05:21 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Well I take your recommendation as gold Babe, Amazon here I come!!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #766809
03/06/14 12:34 PM
03/06/14 12:34 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

Well I take your recommendation as gold Babe, Amazon here I come!!

You won't be disappointed, Yogi. I haven't read Faulkner in about 20 years, but he is one of America's literary giants, the greatest of the great southern writers.

His masterpiece is The Sound and the Fury, which uses creative narrative techniques. The first part of the novel is told through the craggy mind of a mentally retarded man, whose fractured thoughts create a brilliant, disjointed rhapsody.

A couple of my favorites are Absalom, Absalom, and Light in August. As I Lay Dying is also a provocative book, told through several dozens of voices.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: klydon1] #768849
03/20/14 05:34 AM
03/20/14 05:34 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Just read a very interesting book called WWII:BEHIND CLOSED DOORS,STALIN,THE NAZIS AND THE WEST by a BBC historian fella called Laurence Rees. Very good it was as well, shows that for as cruel and evil Hitler was, Stalin was every bit as much, just possibly not as deranged as Adolf.

Churchill gets positive mention as a great war time PM (everyone knows he was no peace time leader) and Mr. Roosevelt gets top praise as a very brave and clever leader!!

Well worth a read!!

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #768861
03/20/14 08:34 AM
03/20/14 08:34 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Just finished The Agent by Leigh Steinberg. He was one of the premier sports agents since the mid-1970s. It was somewhat interesting, but not well-written in my opinion. His fall from grace, particularly his battle with alcohol and losing his agent license, was not really covered in great detail. But I did get a greater appreciation for some of the quality things that Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, Steve Young, and Steve Bartkowski did off of the field.

Re: Books you just read discussion [Re: Fame] #769467
03/24/14 02:27 PM
03/24/14 02:27 PM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
I am again reading Murder Machine for the third time in about 3 years. It always amazes me that every time I re-read a book I learn something that I missed before. Even though I know the outcome, it is still an interesting read.

Page 36 of 45 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 44 45

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull