GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (The_Marble_Guy), 106 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,162
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? #1009083
04/06/21 02:03 AM
04/06/21 02:03 AM
J
JackieAprile Offline OP
Capo
JackieAprile  Offline OP
J
Capo
Anyone have a clue?

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1009093
04/06/21 11:11 AM
04/06/21 11:11 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
In Cleveland approximately 1969 the boss or underboss openly cooperated and testified. In New York the only one we know for certain besides Valachi is Scarpa, and others in New York are just speculation. I know a lo ton internet wannabe detectives look at FBI files and try to figure out how many letters are redacted in a document and fit it to a name, or accuse some members of having been informers, but that is silly. Scarpa was fairly high up, he was close to his boss and knew a lot of members in other families. I think he was informing before Valachi.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1009097
04/06/21 11:59 AM
04/06/21 11:59 AM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
For the Philadelphia family at least you had both Harry Riccobene and Rocco Scafidi as member sources providing information to the FBI. For the Colombos there was obviously Scarpa. For the Genovese family there was Valachi. For the Bonannos there was at least Willie Dara. For the Gambinos there was Alfredo Santantonio before he was killed. That's what comes to the front of my mind at least. All made guys.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1009099
04/06/21 12:17 PM
04/06/21 12:17 PM
UK
D
dsd Offline
Capo
dsd  Offline
D
Capo
UK
Some evidence that Carmine Lombardozzi ?? was informing. Some site has the info, maybe smoking gun. From the evidence , FBI releases, the reckon it can only be CL.
I'm sure there was plenty of informers back then but it wasn't really until.the 80's that informers turned to being prepared to testify in open court.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: jace] #1009104
04/06/21 06:20 PM
04/06/21 06:20 PM
G
Galassi70 Offline
Button
Galassi70  Offline
G
Button
The Cleveland Boss in 1969 was John Scalish.
I.dont.know where you.got the info.He was a informant.
He was LCN through and through.
The underboss was John DeMarco.
He was having health issues and was like Scalish was very
Loyal to omerta.
Angelo Lonardo flipped but that wasnt until 1985ish

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: dsd] #1009116
04/06/21 09:26 PM
04/06/21 09:26 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by dsd
Some evidence that Carmine Lombardozzi ?? was informing. Some site has the info, maybe smoking gun. From the evidence , FBI releases, the reckon it can only be CL.
I'm sure there was plenty of informers back then but it wasn't really until.the 80's that informers turned to being prepared to testify in open court.

He was one of the people i was referring to, someone started an online rumor with no proof or evidence, and people fell for it. He was even doing time when he was old and constantly under one investigation of indictment after the next up until he died.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: Galassi70] #1009117
04/06/21 09:28 PM
04/06/21 09:28 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Galassi70
The Cleveland Boss in 1969 was John Scalish.
I.dont.know where you.got the info.He was a informant.
He was LCN through and through.
The underboss was John DeMarco.
He was having health issues and was like Scalish was very
Loyal to omerta.
Angelo Lonardo flipped but that wasnt until 1985ish

My fault on the Angelo Lonardo timeline, he is who I was referring to. I thought he had testified way earlier than 1985. Thanks for the correction.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1009122
04/07/21 01:55 AM
04/07/21 01:55 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Bill Bonanno of the Bonanno family. There were two others that retired and were administration members in other families, but they only told history in their areas and nothing that was current, besides one confirming that Tommy Lucchese was a boss since early 1950s, Stefano Magaddino and Joe Bonanno were cousin's and longest serving bosses in the states, but both were having problems with each other and other families and the informant was glad he had retired back in the 1950s. Bill and and the other two were confirmed of membership and current or former positions by other informants. Carmine Lombardozzi was indeed an informant. One thing to keep in mind about those informants is that most times they don't reveal what they are really doing, or they are ratting out on their competition or another monster, so they don't have to go to jail or appear in court.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1009129
04/07/21 06:54 AM
04/07/21 06:54 AM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Bill Bonnano came off like a real jackass, nothing like his father.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1009133
04/07/21 08:32 AM
04/07/21 08:32 AM
T
thecooler Offline
Wiseguy
thecooler  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Like others have said, Bill Bonanno likely talked in the 1960s, identifying members and sharing details of the negotiations between different factions during the Banana War. He was consigliere at one point.

Anthony Lima likely talked in the 1960s and 70s. He was the former boss of the SF crime family, although he was demoted and probably only a soldier when he sat down with federal agents.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: GerryLang] #1009135
04/07/21 09:24 AM
04/07/21 09:24 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by GerryLang
Bill Bonnano came off like a real jackass, nothing like his father.

Bill B was a half a legitimate sucker, who was never meant for the life. His father made a big, big, mistake putting his kid in there. Fucked the kid right up. and fucked up his borgata to boot

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1009144
04/07/21 11:31 AM
04/07/21 11:31 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Bill Bonanno of the Bonanno family. There were two others that retired and were administration members in other families, but they only told history in their areas and nothing that was current, besides one confirming that Tommy Lucchese was a boss since early 1950s, Stefano Magaddino and Joe Bonanno were cousin's and longest serving bosses in the states, but both were having problems with each other and other families and the informant was glad he had retired back in the 1950s. Bill and and the other two were confirmed of membership and current or former positions by other informants. Carmine Lombardozzi was indeed an informant. One thing to keep in mind about those informants is that most times they don't reveal what they are really doing, or they are ratting out on their competition or another monster, so they don't have to go to jail or appear in court.

There is no reason for anyone to believe Lombardozzi was an informant, it's made up and pushed by internet trolls, don't fall for it

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1009152
04/07/21 02:07 PM
04/07/21 02:07 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
A former mob boss is enought?

http://mafiahistory.us/rattrap/sanfranlima.html

"Honor is stressed as the most sacred thing in the world. To destroy another person must be for honor and not money alone..." - Anthony Lima

It was generally accepted, until recently, that only a small number of La Cosa Nostra's 1960s-era inducted members shared confidential information with the FBI. Anthony Villano, former FBI agent and organized crime expert, wrote in his memoir that there were no more than a dozen informants in the entire LCN at the time. It has since come to light, through the release of declassified FBI reports, that many more LCN members secretly cooperated. And at least one of those informants had been an LCN boss. Anthony Lima Lima In 1965, Anthony Lima, former boss of the San Francisco Crime Family, began to secretly share confidential information with federal law enforcement. [1] The veteran LCN member provided an insider's view of organized crime from the highest levels. Lima told federal agents about his induction ceremony, provided details about the history of the Pittsburgh Crime Family, and identified LCN members, many for the first time, in Pittsburgh and the San Francisco Bay Area. He kept the FBI up-to-date on the activities of LCN members and helped shape the Bureau's organized crime investigations across the country.

Anthony Lima told federal agents that he was inducted into the Pittsburgh LCN family in 1927. [3] He said the boss at the time was Stefano Monastero and the underboss was Nicasio Landolina. He would have been about twenty-two at that time. Lima told federal agents that the Pittsburgh Crime Family, or "Burgata" as he called it, was established about 1905. Before that, the Italian-Sicilian underworld was more fragmented. An early extortion group known as the "Black Hand" was comprised of Italians from Calabria. The Black Hand became associated with a regional Neapolitan Camorra organization, and they subsequently merged with the Sicilian Mafia. (In Italy, the Neapolitan Camorra network is distinct from the Calabrian criminal societies, now collectively known as 'Ndrangeta, and the Sicilian Mafia. Transplanted into the U.S., these organizations eventually blended into an Italian-Sicilian crime syndicate the FBI labeled, "La Cosa Nostra.")

Lima explained the significance of the induction ceremony and broke down the membership rules. He said the sponsor of the proposed member would take a knife or pin and draw blood by pricking his finger. The blood of the proposed member was then smeared on a holy card. The card was lit on fire and placed in the cupped hands of the proposed member. The sponsor would then "affirm" that the proposed member would uphold the rules and code of the organization. [4] According to Lima, "Honor is stressed as the most sacred thing in the world. To destroy another person must be for honor and not money alone. A member is warned never to engage in an affair with the wives of other members. A member must never engage in white slavery or narcotics, both crimes which are degrading to the name of the organization. A member must obey the complaints and instructions of his superior and is never to take the life of a fellow member before presenting his grievance to the Commission. A member must do nothing which would affect the organization without first receiving permission from a superior." The proposed member was warned that, if he ever betrayed the organization, he would be "destroyed" just like the burning holy card. Afterward, all the members embraced the new initiate and kissed him on both cheeks. Lima never indicated what role the boss or capodecina played in the ceremony.

The inclusion of a burning holy card in Lima's description differs from the experience of Samuel Mannarino, another member of the Pittsburgh Crime Family. Mannarino told federal agents that his finger was pricked during his induction ceremony but no holy card was used or lit on fire. Mannarino couldn't say if holy cards were used in other induction ceremonies but he personally "never got no burns on my hands that way." [5] Mannarino's precise initiation date is unknown - he refused to say - but he did imply he was inducted by John LaRocca in the 1940s. The different rituals experienced by Lima and Mannarino suggest the Pittsburgh Crime Family induction ceremony may have evolved over time as the separate Mafia groups in the area were united into the LCN. Lima bio Anthony Lima was born in 1905 at Johnstown, Pennsylvania, an industrial city east of Pittsburgh. His family had traveled to the area from Sicily looking for work. Western Pennsylvania was known for its steel, iron and coal production, as well as for its reliance on immigrant labor. Lima came from a family connected to organized crime. Evidence suggests his uncle and cousin were, like Lima himself, early members of the Pittsburgh Crime Family. There is no indication that Lima's father was an LCN member (although he might have been) but he was on good terms with Mafia members in Sicily and in the United States. In 1928, Anthony Lima was charged with murder while he was living in the Pittsburgh-area. Acquitted at trial, he soon relocated to San Francisco and began to associate with the local Italian underworld. His uncle and cousin also relocated to California and became affiliated with the San Francisco Crime Family. [C] Lima married his uncle's daughter; they later divorced. In California, Lima had a financial interest in a fruit farm and he operated an olive oil business with future San Francisco Crime Family boss Michael Abati. Lima was described by law enforcement at the time as "Mafia killer who is greatly feared by the Italian residents of the Stockton-Lodi, California, area. He specializes in extortion and fraud." [D] Lima became boss of the San Francisco Crime Family in 1937. He replaced Francesco Lanza who had formally established the LCN family in the early 1930s. Lima was boss for sixteen years. He lost power in 1953, when he was convicted of theft and sentenced to four years imprisonment. [E] While he was incarcerated, Lima was replaced as boss by his former business partner and underboss, Michael Abati. After he was released from prison, Lima continued to operate as a soldier although the FBI no longer saw him as a top priority. He was dropped from FBI's "Top Hoodlum" investigations into Mafia leaders. His investigative file was marked "closed". [F] Lima died in 1986. John LaRocca and Pittsburgh Anthony Lima told federal agents that John LaRocca was the boss of the Pittsburgh Crime Family. He said they used to be close associates. He called LaRocca an "extremely fine individual" who had conducted himself "fairly and well during the past 20 years." [6] Lima's statement implies that LaRocca became boss in the Pittsburgh-area sometime in the mid-to-late 1940s. Lima claimed LaRocca "decided" to semi-retire in the 1960s and handed control to his underling Michael Genovese. Since that time, Lima said, Genovese had "completely taken over" from LaRocca. Michael Genovese Michael Genovese According to Lima, Michael Genovese was a "high-type" individual who was "fearless" and "honorable." He thought Genovese would make an excellent leader and was a better choice than capodecina Gabriel "Kelly" Mannarino. Lima said Mannarino was also considered for the role but "because of his intelligence in some fields, consideration of him was withdrawn by organization members." Lima said Joseph Regino was the boss of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Regino was a close associate of LaRocca and one of the "principal leaders" of LCN in the region. Lima said Regino was an "extremely fine man" and was well-regarded by other members. Lima and Regino were longtime friends.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: jace] #1009156
04/07/21 02:23 PM
04/07/21 02:23 PM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
Originally Posted by jace
There is no reason for anyone to believe Lombardozzi was an informant, it's made up and pushed by internet trolls, don't fall for it

NY 6436-C-TE was almost definitely Lombardozzi. The informant was a Gambino member who attended Apalachin and spent time in Baltimore. The only five Gambino members who attended Apalachin were Lombardozzi, Gambino, Castellano, Joe Riccobono and Tommy Rava (Armand Simonetti may have also been present). Rava was dead by the point that the informant started talking and Riccobono was inactive. Gambino was obviously the boss and Castellano was already acting boss so that also makes both of them extremely unlikely. That just leaves Lombardozzi. Also take into account Lombardozzi spent some time in Baltimore and had been charged with fraud just before NY 6436-C-TE started cooperating. Lombardozzi is the only one who can be reliably traced to Apalachin and Baltimore and the timing lines up with his arrest. It's almost certainly him.

Plenty of guys provide info at some point then end up doing time later regardless. Like Harry Riccobene from Philly. Talked to the feds in the 1960s, died in prison anyway.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1009157
04/07/21 03:18 PM
04/07/21 03:18 PM
T
thecooler Offline
Wiseguy
thecooler  Offline
T
Wiseguy

I'm the guy behind the Mafia Rat Trap articles that first identified Lombardozzi and those other informers. Everything I've written is sourced from FBI intelligence reports. I'm interested in the truth, so if I've included a factual error that impacts my conclusions, I'll correct the record.
Best regards Ed

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: thecooler] #1009179
04/07/21 08:54 PM
04/07/21 08:54 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by thecooler

I'm the guy behind the Mafia Rat Trap articles that first identified Lombardozzi and those other informers. Everything I've written is sourced from FBI intelligence reports. I'm interested in the truth, so if I've included a factual error that impacts my conclusions, I'll correct the record.
Best regards Ed

I think you over reached, no insult meant, you do a lot of research on your site. Lombarrdozzi may have spoken to a person in his crew or immediate family like a brother and they may have passed info along. If he was an informer they would not have been hounding him and leaking news stories about him the last years of his life, or have kept bringing cases against him. I also don't see how the FBI would not protect an actual informer. If they placed an item in there that blatantly states him as a rat, then it was to sabotage him by leaking it later.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: thecooler] #1009182
04/07/21 09:22 PM
04/07/21 09:22 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by thecooler

Best regards Ed

I will tell you this my friend. I'm very impressed with your work. Nobody is 100% correct. Especially when you're trying to decipher rats that are under FBI code #s and other hidden info. But I think you have great deduction skills, and I have read most of your work deeply.

My compliments! Keep it coming.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1021640
10/11/21 07:36 PM
10/11/21 07:36 PM
B
boomboomroom Offline
Made Member
boomboomroom  Offline
B
Made Member
John Lombardozzi | Organized Crime Figure | Gambino Crime Family (1978)

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: furio_from_naples] #1021645
10/11/21 08:29 PM
10/11/21 08:29 PM
Friend_of_Henry Offline
Underboss
Friend_of_Henry  Offline
Underboss
Thanx Furio for all that info about Pittsburgh. I came along in the middle of the LaRocca era but knew nothing of his predecessors. I briefly met John when I was a "Kid" and as time went on everyone said the same thing: he was an extremely fine individual. It's no secret that I spent a reasonable amount of time with Michael. Considering that I was a relative "square" made it somewhat unusual and I found his description fit him to a tee.
Of all the Mob Bosses I've ever read about and if I was ever going to be one, I'd be Michael in a minute. Otherwise I'll be a square :-)

Last edited by Friend_of_Henry; 10/13/21 08:05 PM.

"Never walk in a room that you don't know how to get out of"- Henry Zottola
Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: jace] #1021656
10/12/21 05:10 AM
10/12/21 05:10 AM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
In Cleveland approximately 1969 the boss or underboss openly cooperated and testified. In New York the only one we know for certain besides Valachi is Scarpa, and others in New York are just speculation. I know a lo ton internet wannabe detectives look at FBI files and try to figure out how many letters are redacted in a document and fit it to a name, or accuse some members of having been informers, but that is silly. Scarpa was fairly high up, he was close to his boss and knew a lot of members in other families. I think he was informing before Valachi.

Wtf are you talking about? Scalish never talk nor Licavoli. You must be thinking about Underboss/Acting Boss Angelo Lonardo in the mid 80s

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1021663
10/12/21 07:29 AM
10/12/21 07:29 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

I'm not sure he was the highest (he was a soldier I believe), but Brooklyn's "Freddy the Sidge" Santantonio also did a lot of damage during the time he was cooperating. Until they put a couple of slugs in him. He gave the FBI lists of guys who were members, what crews they belonged to, etc. Similar to Scarpa.

The difference being that the mob uncovered Santanotnio and ended his chatting. So his use to the FBi was short lived compared to the 30+ years Scarpa was spilling his guts.

To our knowledge, Scarpa and Santantonio were the two most important rats in Brooklyn during that era. I'm sure there were others, in Brooklyn and the other bores who were doing the same to varying degrees.

Last edited by NYMafia; 10/12/21 07:32 AM.
Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1021667
10/12/21 09:16 AM
10/12/21 09:16 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Anthony Lima, who was a former boss, was said to be spilling info out west for some years during the 1950s-1960s I think. So he's a top echelon rat as well.

And for that matter, Charles (Chuckie) Nicoletti out of Chicago was another highly placed stool pigeon active during the late 1960s, early 1970s era.

Last edited by NYMafia; 10/12/21 09:18 AM.
Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1021669
10/12/21 10:43 AM
10/12/21 10:43 AM
N
Njein Offline
Capo
Njein  Offline
N
Capo
Alfredo "Freddie the Sidge" Santantonio was a Gambino informant in the 1950s and was reportedly close to Anastasia. Gunned down in 1963 while at a florist shop.

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1021744
10/13/21 07:32 PM
10/13/21 07:32 PM
T
TonyBombassolo Offline
Banned
TonyBombassolo  Offline
Banned
T
Made Member
did they ever figure out who gave up the 1968 House of Chan info?

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: jace] #1021752
10/14/21 06:08 AM
10/14/21 06:08 AM
UK
D
dsd Offline
Capo
dsd  Offline
D
Capo
UK
[quote=thecooler]
Best regards Ed

""I think you over reached, no insult meant, you do a lot of research on your site. Lombarrdozzi may have spoken to a person in his crew or immediate family like a brother and they may have passed info along. If he was an informer they would not have been hounding him and leaking news stories about him the last years of his life, or have kept bringing cases against him. I also don't see how the FBI would not protect an actual informer. If they placed an item in there that blatantly states him as a rat, then it was to sabotage him by leaking it later. [/quote]

Didn't FBI agents get beaten up by lombardozzi' s family / goons at a funeral?
Maybe that convinced to rat.
Also it would of looked blatant if he WASN'T being harrased by the FBI.
He was one of the most well known mob guys. Plus the funeral incident.
Wasn't he demoted from capo for funeral incident?

Last edited by dsd; 10/14/21 06:09 AM.
Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: NYMafia] #1030829
03/02/22 01:24 AM
03/02/22 01:24 AM
B
beargrillz Offline
Associate
beargrillz  Offline
B
Associate
Originally Posted by NYMafia
Anthony Lima, who was a former boss, was said to be spilling info out west for some years during the 1950s-1960s I think. So he's a top echelon rat as well.

And for that matter, Charles (Chuckie) Nicoletti out of Chicago was another highly placed stool pigeon active during the late 1960s, early 1970s era.

where do you get that chuckie was an informant? paperwork?

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: JackieAprile] #1030830
03/02/22 06:13 AM
03/02/22 06:13 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

highest publicized informant of notoriety was of course, without a doubt, Joe Valachi (1963)

Re: Who was the highest level informant in the 60s? [Re: NYMafia] #1030845
03/02/22 02:05 PM
03/02/22 02:05 PM
B
beargrillz Offline
Associate
beargrillz  Offline
B
Associate
Originally Posted by NYMafia
highest publicized informant of notoriety was of course, without a doubt, Joe Valachi (1963)

Yeah MOB 101 ,but you said charles nicoletti was an informant,i wanted to know if you had a source ? ive seen online someone asking for his file from the FOIA through a formal request and even appealed specifying Nicoletti has been dead many years but the (FOIA) FBI denied his request so no way to find his information

Last edited by beargrillz; 03/14/22 12:10 AM.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull