GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,815
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,300
Posts1,058,173
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring #1002332
12/30/20 12:56 PM
12/30/20 12:56 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
In one of Sammy “The Bill” Gravano’s interviews; He mentions that Toddo Aurello; who was Sammy’s captain asked to step down and retire after the hit on Paul Castellano. Is this true???

I know Toddo stepped down; but was it because of the Castellano hit or old age??

Also Sammy is not accurate when he says that Toddo died before he went to prison. Didn’t Toddo die after Sammy cooperated?? 1998??

How powerful was Toddo Aurello in his prime?? I know he was close with Carlo Gambino.

Would love responses!

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002344
12/30/20 02:54 PM
12/30/20 02:54 PM
Paris
M
Malavita Offline
Capo
Malavita  Offline
M
Capo
Paris
My understanding is that Aurello knew a new order had begun and nothing good will come out of it for him. I think he didn't feel like taking part in the new regime so he chose to retire. He didn't condone the hit but he was smart enough to stay quiet.

One thing that was new from samm'ys podcast compared to the book was that Aurello seemed to have been scared at first. He didn't know what happened and thought he could be hit too. Gravano said he assured him that nothing was gonna happen to him and that's how Aurello knew Gravano was in on the hit. I thought that was a very interesting part of the podcast.

Regarding Toddo's power, not much is known about his background and relationships. He has a pretty solid crew before retiring : Sammy Gravano, Boozy De Cicco, John Rizzo, Louis Milito, his son Charlie, Joey Russo,...

One thing that suggested he was powerful within the family was his ability to have guys made.

When Gravano was made, he was rather young and had only recently joined the Gambinos from the Colombos.A the time, the books had been opened for a short time and there were plenty of more experienced guys that were waiting to be made but somehow Gravano got in early and i think it's mainly because Aurello proposed him.

Also, He didn't want to propose his son and had to be persuaded to do it after the list was already being shared with other families. At the time, they were making guys every 2 or 3 months so they could have told him the list was already going around and that his son would be proposed in the next batch. Yet somehow, they agreed to add his son at the last minute and make him right away.

Same thing for Louie Milito who was made pretty early and against the wishes of the soldier he was on record with (John Rizzo). Aurello proposed him and he was made.

To me, these examples shows that Aurello was very respected. It's also likely that he benefited from the fact that he was considered a Gambino/Castellano loyalist so the administration was eager to beef up his crew as opposed to capos like Fatico, Fat Andy Ruggiano or Joe Armone who had more trouble making guys.

Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002345
12/30/20 03:18 PM
12/30/20 03:18 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
@Malavita

Another interesting thing;

Sammy says that John Gotti and Frank DeCicco didn’t want Toddo Aurello to retire; They even offered him to stay on to be close to the administration.

Maybe be in the administration at some point?

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002346
12/30/20 03:24 PM
12/30/20 03:24 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
1) Yes it is true.
2) Malavita hit it on the head, Aurello was not scared nor stupid. He knew the winds had changed and it was a smell he did not like. He already had Gravano as his acting Capo, and had been grooming him, to where at that point, it was a good time to retire and let Sammy take over the reigns.
3) Toddo died after Gravano cooperated, but none of that hurt his crew, which means it was part of the deal Gravano had made with the FBI.
4) Salvatore Aurello was powerful in his prime. He came up under Tommy Rava crew, he was close to many members in that crew, such as Neil Dellacroce, Tony Rizzo, Mike Ciazzo, and Petey Pumps. He went with Rizzo when the Rava Crew was split, and became Capo of the crew when Petey Pumps died, after that he was close to Gambino and Castellano. Over the years Aurello was respected by Gambino, Castellano, Dellacroce, Fialla, Joe N. Gallo, and many more members in the family, where if there was a problem, it did not last long. He had a lot of pull, but also had alot of respect from other families which made him a good Capo, and biggest trait he had, was his fairness among everyone.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002348
12/30/20 04:03 PM
12/30/20 04:03 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
I know Sammy was serving as Acting captain under Toddo Aurello; Sammy was big into construction rackets; Is this how he became close to Paul Castellano by being a liaison to Aurello and Castellano??

I saw something a while back that Sammy; even though a soldier; He had access to Paul; and was able to accompany Paul and Thomas Bilotti on meetings that involved construction.

I wonder how ackward that was?? Sammy hated Bilotti; but Bilotti always accompanied Paul everywhere.

Last edited by Zavattoni; 12/30/20 04:04 PM.

Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002350
12/30/20 04:59 PM
12/30/20 04:59 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Yes Toddo did step down after Paul was killed. Sammy was close to Paul and I’m sure their mural interest in construction was a big part of it. Also Paul used Sammy to eliminate Johnny Keys Simone in 1980. According to Sammy Paul was very impressed with how Sammy handled it

Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002356
12/30/20 06:31 PM
12/30/20 06:31 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
Anyone know when Toddo Aurello was made??

1940’s or 1950’s?

Sammy has it good with being so close to Paul. He was young too.

Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002358
12/30/20 06:49 PM
12/30/20 06:49 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Not sure when Toddo was made. Just taking a guess late 40’s early 50’s. Yes Sammy was in a good position having Toddo as a mentor and a good relationship with Paul. I know the Frank Piccolo murder didn’t sit well with him and others and then the whole thing with the maid.

Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002359
12/30/20 06:55 PM
12/30/20 06:55 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
That sounds about right; Pretty sure he was in the age range of Arcuri; Armone; Castellano; And all the old captains.

I think in a recent interview

Sammy said he dispised Paul for throwing their Connecticut captain (Frank Piccolo) to the wolves (The Genovese’s)

Frank was making plenty of money and kicking up to Paul the right way; and he still got whacked by another family who was jealous of his rackets; and money-making ability.

Paul should have saved him...

Last edited by Zavattoni; 12/30/20 06:56 PM.

Re: Salvatore “Toddo” Aurello retiring [Re: Zavattoni] #1002383
12/31/20 01:18 AM
12/31/20 01:18 AM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Originally Posted by Zavattoni
In one of Sammy “The Bill” Gravano’s interviews; He mentions that Toddo Aurello; who was Sammy’s captain asked to step down and retire after the hit on Paul Castellano. Is this true???

I know Toddo stepped down; but was it because of the Castellano hit or old age??

Also Sammy is not accurate when he says that Toddo died before he went to prison. Didn’t Toddo die after Sammy cooperated?? 1998??

How powerful was Toddo Aurello in his prime?? I know he was close with Carlo Gambino.

Would love responses!

He was a smart guy. Stepped down, dies of old age in 98 in his bed

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull