GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (m2w, Thankyoukyle, joepuzzles234), 99 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,399
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,292
Posts1,058,083
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Relationship between Gigante and Salerno #999607
11/12/20 02:01 PM
11/12/20 02:01 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
Do anyone have a better understanding of the relationship between Anthony “Fat Tony” Salerno and Vincent Gigante??

We’re they very close or more like business partners??

Salerno was almost 20 years older then Gigante; so how was their agreement?

A lot of people that don’t know anything about the mafia say that; Salerno was stupid and was just fronting for Gigante with no power..... Obviously that was not true; Salerno was the one of the most powerful guys through out the country.

What was the relationship like between Chin and Fat Tony?

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999608
11/12/20 02:51 PM
11/12/20 02:51 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by Zavattoni
Do anyone have a better understanding of the relationship between Anthony “Fat Tony” Salerno and Vincent Gigante??

We’re they very close or more like business partners??

Salerno was almost 20 years older then Gigante; so how was their agreement?

A lot of people that don’t know anything about the mafia say that; Salerno was stupid and was just fronting for Gigante with no power..... Obviously that was not true; Salerno was the one of the most powerful guys through out the country.

What was the relationship like between Chin and Fat Tony?

Traditionally power was divided between 3 locales. Harlem, the Lower Westside, and North Jersey. So their relationship was representative of that. Chin ruled Downtown, and Fat Tony ruled Harlem/Bronx. And in New Jersey, it was Bobby Manna. The triumvirate

Someone had to be #1, it just so happened to be Chin. He was closer to Vito.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999620
11/12/20 05:52 PM
11/12/20 05:52 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
Bobby manna always intrigued me, very powerful. Nymafia have you done an in-depth story on him? If not how about considering it.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: majicrat] #999622
11/12/20 06:39 PM
11/12/20 06:39 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by majicrat
Bobby manna always intrigued me, very powerful. Nymafia have you done an in-depth story on him? If not how about considering it.

I am considering it

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999669
11/13/20 04:28 PM
11/13/20 04:28 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
I don’t think my question was really ever answered;

Did Gigante look up to Salerno like a father figure?? Or advisor of some sort??

@NYMafia

I agree; the family was ruled like a triumvirate. I think it was that way when Benny “Squint” Lombardo ran the family.

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999671
11/13/20 05:03 PM
11/13/20 05:03 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by Zavattoni
I don’t think my question was really ever answered;

Did Gigante look up to Salerno like a father figure?? Or advisor of some sort??

@NYMafia

I agree; the family was ruled like a triumvirate. I think it was that way when Benny “Squint” Lombardo ran the family.

Did Chin view Salerno as a mentor or father figure? I doubt it. I'm positive that he respected him for his service and tenure to the borgata, but Chin was pretty full of himself, and I doubt he looked to many as a "father" figure. The one exception being Vito. Or possibly Costello and Luciano even though he clipped Costello in the noggin on Vito's orders. THEY were iconic figures.

Chin was younger than Fat Tony, but had nearly as much time in the tenches ya know, so I don't think it was that kind of relationship. But who knows?

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999735
11/14/20 08:44 PM
11/14/20 08:44 PM
WhackWhack Offline
Made Member
WhackWhack  Offline
Made Member
In my Chin book written by Larry McShane he writes that Gravano testified that Salerno and Gigante were not close at all and supposedly Chin would make faces and "mock" Salerno behind his back while he was talking....but I don't know If I can truly believe that. Especially coming from a liar like Gravano. Chin needed Salerno to take the major fall for him to keep the charade going, if Salerno knew that Chin really felt that way about him it would make him less likely to take the 100 years.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999740
11/14/20 11:04 PM
11/14/20 11:04 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

mutual respect. fat tony was a millionaire when chin was selling herion in the 50tys. fat tony was underboss when chin was a capo.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: pmac] #999743
11/15/20 02:57 AM
11/15/20 02:57 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by pmac
mutual respect. fat tony was a millionaire when chin was selling herion in the 50tys. fat tony was underboss when chin was a capo.

Sometimes in perspective , this family is dizzying....I did not realize that Fat Tony was so much older than Chin..Poor Tony died in the clink 4 just basically being a patsy...eating candy bars 2 boot...

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: WhackWhack] #999791
11/15/20 05:48 PM
11/15/20 05:48 PM
UK
D
dsd Offline
Capo
dsd  Offline
D
Capo
UK
Originally Posted by WhackWhack
In my Chin book written by Larry McShane he writes that Gravano testified that Salerno and Gigante were not close at all and supposedly Chin would make faces and "mock" Salerno behind his back while he was talking....but I don't know If I can truly believe that. Especially coming from a liar like Gravano. Chin needed Salerno to take the major fall for him to keep the charade going, if Salerno knew that Chin really felt that way about him it would make him less likely to take the 100 years.

Yeah, I've. just read this book. And this really caught my attention.
Like you I find it hard to believe. Especially pulling faces in front of members of another family.
How come you call Gravano a liar? I've always thought him very pretty truthful in interviews.

Although, he obviously lied about his motives for ratting out. And the killing of his brother in law

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: hoodlum] #999794
11/15/20 05:59 PM
11/15/20 05:59 PM
UK
D
dsd Offline
Capo
dsd  Offline
D
Capo
UK
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Originally Posted by pmac

Sometimes in perspective , this family is dizzying....I did not realize that Fat Tony was so much older than Chin..Poor Tony died in the clink 4 just basically being a patsy...eating candy bars 2 boot...

I wouldn't say Salerno was a patsy/ fall guy at all. He must of been in the family administration for years.
If people like Scoop, Indelicato??, Furnari, G.Lang, were part of the case then he definitely should of been.

How comes only the full admins. of the Luccs were indicted? what happened to gambino consig. Gallo?

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999824
11/16/20 12:37 AM
11/16/20 12:37 AM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Fat Tony was at the top of the biggest numbers operation in the 40s when Chin was still a boxer. fat Tony ruled in acting capacity in east harlem when Trigger Mike Coppola was down in Florida. fBI documents show that Salerno was semi retired in the mid to late 70s in Florida and wanted to retire for good like Catena and Coppola did but the Genovese admin called him back into the fold. He couldn't refuse. The guy was wanting to retire at 70 to his upstate residence in Rhinebeck and his place down in Florida. The east harlem crew was almost as powerful and influential as the Village crew in the early 60s. Chin was doing a bid for a drug charge at the time Tony was taking over officially for Trigger Mike.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999825
11/16/20 12:40 AM
11/16/20 12:40 AM
C
ColonelReb Offline
Banned
ColonelReb  Offline
Banned
C
Underboss
Fat Tony was at the top of the biggest numbers operation in the 40s when Chin was still a boxer. fat Tony ruled in acting capacity in east harlem when Trigger Mike Coppola was down in Florida. fBI documents show that Salerno was semi retired in the mid to late 70s in Florida and wanted to retire for good like Catena and Coppola did but the Genovese admin called him back into the fold. He couldn't refuse. The guy was wanting to retire at 70 to his upstate residence in Rhinebeck and his place down in Florida. The east harlem crew was almost as powerful and influential as the Village crew in the early 60s. Chin was doing a bid for a drug charge at the time Tony was taking over officially for Trigger Mike.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: ColonelReb] #999831
11/16/20 08:24 AM
11/16/20 08:24 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by ColonelReb

Absolutely correct! every word!

Salerno was a senior compared to Chin. And highly respected by all. He was nobody's patsy. He caught the 100, and that was that.... we went in to do his time like a man

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999852
11/16/20 01:49 PM
11/16/20 01:49 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Yaeh fat tony was respected across the country. I think some family's preferd his easy accessibility and seemed pretty level. The buffalo guys went to him the Cleveland. New england. They knew chin was boss. Tony ducks was visiting fat Tony's club when there recorded on wires well after chin took over in 80/81. Big Paul's on tape call fat tony or chin like they were equals

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999855
11/16/20 02:26 PM
I
IrishDave Offline
Wiseguy
IrishDave  Offline
I
Wiseguy
I always thought, from reading the boards and other files, fat Tony asked to come back after having a stroke. That's when he became the front boss for chin. Prior to his stroke he was the underboss.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999856
Paris
M
Malavita Offline
Capo
Malavita  Offline
M
Capo
Paris
One indvidual that can answer this question is Fish Cafaro. From what i read from his testimony (but i didn't read everything), it was clear to Salerno that Gigante was the shot caller. Salerno didn't seem to have any negative feelings towards Gigante.

It also appears that somehow, Gigante made sure that Salerno was well informed on what was going on with the family and that he was included in the decision making. As stated above, Salerno was one of the best connected mafioso in the country and i feel that Gigante gave him some autonomy in how he would deal with other families.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Malavita] #999859
11/16/20 03:07 PM
11/16/20 03:07 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Originally Posted by Malavita
One indvidual that can answer this question is Fish Cafaro. From what i read from his testimony (but i didn't read everything), it was clear to Salerno that Gigante was the shot caller. Salerno didn't seem to have any negative feelings towards Gigante.

It also appears that somehow, Gigante made sure that Salerno was well informed on what was going on with the family and that he was included in the decision making. As stated above, Salerno was one of the best connected mafioso in the country and i feel that Gigante gave him some autonomy in how he would deal with other families.

I think your assessment of their relationship is on point.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999863
11/16/20 04:11 PM
11/16/20 04:11 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Was SALERNO from the Genovese camp or a Luciano/Costello guy? Its interesting that this Family was able to remain intact after having such a divisive and destructive Boss like Vito.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #999878
11/16/20 06:56 PM
11/16/20 06:56 PM
J
Jimmybrown Offline
Made Member
Jimmybrown  Offline
J
Made Member
Maybe it made them smarter, enough cake for everyone to eat. Have rotation of admin positions to keep everyone happy and instill a front boss to take the heat.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999915
11/16/20 11:49 PM
11/16/20 11:49 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
Was SALERNO from the Genovese camp or a Luciano/Costello guy? Its interesting that this Family was able to remain intact after having such a divisive and destructive Boss like Vito.

This.

This family just seems to have always done everything right. Even the Genovese/Costello incident was short lived and settled quickly. Nothing like the Colombo or "Banana" wars, or the Amuso/Gaspipe bloodbath. Or Phily under Scarfo. Costello just retires, peace is restored and the wheels were moving again.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #1008722
03/30/21 09:51 PM
03/30/21 09:51 PM
B
boomboomroom Offline
Made Member
boomboomroom  Offline
B
Made Member
Here's a cool on YouTube called; VINCENT “THE CHIN “GIGANTE SENTENCED. Click on the link below to view the video. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/iQNEwn5ndSI

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: WhackWhack] #1008735
03/31/21 02:47 PM
03/31/21 02:47 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss

I don't believe that story for a second...Gigante wasn't some 20 year old kid, he certainly wouldn't make faces behind Salerno's back in front of other families

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: ColonelReb] #1008738
03/31/21 03:05 PM
03/31/21 03:05 PM
G
GerryLang Offline
Underboss
GerryLang  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted by ColonelReb

That's pretty rotten, if a guy that age wants to retire, you should at least let him semi-retire.

I haven't seen pmac around, anything happen to him? I know he likes the bottle and other stuff.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: DiLorenzo] #1008755
03/31/21 07:03 PM
03/31/21 07:03 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted by DiLorenzo

I don't believe that story for a second...Gigante wasn't some 20 year old kid, he certainly wouldn't make faces behind Salerno's back in front of other families

I don't believe that story either. It's absurd...

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: dsd] #1008799
04/01/21 10:15 AM
04/01/21 10:15 AM
WhackWhack Offline
Made Member
WhackWhack  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted by dsd

Yeah, I've. just read this book. And this really caught my attention.
Like you I find it hard to believe. Especially pulling faces in front of members of another family.
How come you call Gravano a liar? I've always thought him very pretty truthful in interviews.

Although, he obviously lied about his motives for ratting out. And the killing of his brother in law

He lied about the # of people he clipped. He lied about the reasons for them (so he can make more $$$$) and most of all he LIED about never being a drug dealer. When he was a major one, as Gaspipe said for years. His ecstasy thing was pure karma.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: GerryLang] #1008800
04/01/21 10:16 AM
04/01/21 10:16 AM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by GerryLang

I haven't seen pmac around, anything happen to him? I know he likes the bottle and other stuff.

He posted in this thread above yours.. You sure you're not liking the bottle a bit much yourself? Lol

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #1008907
04/03/21 04:21 AM
04/03/21 04:21 AM
J
jackdempsey1930 Offline
Button
jackdempsey1930  Offline
J
Button
I thought fat tony would joke about the chin other way around. Didnt fat tony send out christmas cards with a picture of him in a bathrobe to all the genovese guys and the chin didnt mind. Fat tony was as powerful as a mob guy can possible get, his decision on matters was considered law and he was a worth millions. He didnt need to block the rise of the chin from being boss because he was an old man and the chin was groomed his whole lcn life to be adventual boss.

Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: RollinBones] #1008915
04/03/21 09:38 AM
04/03/21 09:38 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by RollinBones
Originally Posted by GerryLang

He posted in this thread above yours.. You sure you're not liking the bottle a bit much yourself? Lol

He is over on Black Hand site

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Relationship between Gigante and Salerno [Re: Zavattoni] #1010762
05/01/21 04:51 AM
05/01/21 04:51 AM
Quiet_Doms Offline
Capo
Quiet_Doms  Offline
Capo
Fat Tony was initially supposed to take the reign after Lombardo retired. Yet he suffered a stroke and wad "taken down" by Gigante, Benny Eggs & I believe Funzi at his hospital bedside!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull