GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Lou_Para, DiLorenzo, 1 invisible), 83 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,703
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,708
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California #995769
08/20/20 03:28 PM
08/20/20 03:28 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California

Despite being one of the smallest, nondescript Cosa Nostra borgatas to ever operate in the United States, longtime boss Joe Cerrito must have been doing something right.

Because the home he resided in is currently valued at almost $5,500,000 in today’s market, and he owned auto dealerships, other businesses and properties valued in the millions...and he did it all without ever serving one day in prison!

Now THAT’S what I call a “Wiseguy!”

https://thenewyorkmafia.com/cerrito-family-san-jose-california

**** I was actually surprised when I realized how well plugged in Cerrito was. Even as a boss I didn't realize he earned like that. I don't doubt he may have been involved in narcotics smuggling at a high level as a "financier" or partner because he was too close to East Coast narcotics guys and made too much $$ for that. Either that or he made a ton of cash during Prohibition and just wisely invested it all afterwards.

Last edited by NYMafia; 08/20/20 06:36 PM.
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995786
08/20/20 06:38 PM
08/20/20 06:38 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

That makes more sense. Especially that he traveled to Sicily at a time when the American and Sicilian mobs were collaborating on heroin smuggling. His meeting with Garofalo in Sicily. His ties to Rubino, Nani, and known Gambino traffickers like Pete Piacenti, etc.... to many coincidences!

Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995799
08/20/20 11:08 PM
08/20/20 11:08 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Salvatore Taranto, Frank Genovese, Gregory Genovese, and Alfonso Gunetta were made members of San Francisco Family. Vincenzo Di Girolamo, Nick Guastella, Tony Ditri, John Bello, Joe Venza, Salvatore Coppola, and Prospect Salvatore Mule were made members of the Bonanno family, some of which transferred when Joe Bonanno retired. Phil Morici went back to New York before and after the Castellammarese War and Chicago, still owned business on the east coast till he died, his son Tony took over part of them while the others went to a couple of New York families. Joseph Genovese was made into the Bonanno family and transferred to the Barbara/Bufalino family. Carlo America, Larry Bracco, and Thomas Novello are made members. Good list, some important associates you missed, Leo Chargin, Salvatore Novello, Ernest Cassetta, Stephen Cerrito, Joe Perrucci, Al Salciccia, Thomas Salciccia brother to Al and in family lawyer, Jack Matchak, Frank Rao, Jack Allen, and Joe Campagna. San Jose and San Francisco both were big in narcotics before Appalachian and still had some guys dealing afterwards. San Jose associates who were big after the 1950s in the drug trade were Al Salciccia, Richard Salciccia, Salvatore Vaccaro, and George Rich. The Misuracas go back to Detroit where Joe Cusenza and his brothers killed Big Sal Misuraca. Interesting that both Joe Cusenza and Pietro Misuraca ended up in the San Jose crime family. I keep seeing Nicholas Orlando on the charts, it is actually Orlando Catelli.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #995800
08/20/20 11:43 PM
08/20/20 11:43 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

A few may have been with San Francisco like Frank Genovese. But remember that more than a few shifted to SF. And with the close affiliations between the Westcoast crews I do NOT doubt that a few may have even moved back and forth for various reasons over the decades.

Also those Bonanno guys. A few transferred their membership like Guastella when he moved west many years before. the others like Mule etc., had no choice. When Bonanno was expelled he couldn't even keep members. He wasn't even recognized anymore. He was "persona non grata"

So they had the choice to transfer where they wanted, and they chose San Jose or elsewhere as preferred.

As far as those associates you mentioned, several were indeed listed by me. you need to look at the bottom by my "associates" section. Ernie Casetta, the Salciccia brothers, Steve Cerrito, Frank Rao. They are ALL there!!

The Misuraca's originated in Detroit, but after their brother got clipped moved to Profaci in NYC. Big John Misuraca became an underboss to Magliocco. HIs brother "Artie Price" Misuraca was also affiliated with the NY Family.... their other brother Pete Misuraca, a half-wit and "ner do well", stayed in California. He was a thorn in John's side forever. John Misuraca tolerated him because he was blood. But Pete was an embarrassment and a fuckup, plain and simple.

As I'd stated both the Profaci and Bonanno Family greatly influenced this Family. But as "compare" from Villabate, Cerrito was VERY close with Joe Profaci. Profaci was his man on the Commission because of it.

PS: Know what, I take that back, I had those associates to added, and forgot to put them in or they accidentally got deleted by mistake. LOL....oh well. Nobody is infallible!

I will say that I didn't include, or wanna include several guys such as Rao, etc., because he only owned a restaurant and was friendly on a personal level with Cerrito. He wasn't what I'd label as a "Mob Associate" per se. Thats the problem with some of these associates that make these lists. A "personal friend" is just that, a personal friend. Although he may have even associated on a "social" basis with several wiseguy's, that type of guy is not a "knockaround guy", criminal, or hoodlum as I'm sure you know.

If a guy has a criminal record or has been documented as being involved in the rackets, then he should make the list. But from what I've read about a few of those guys I don't think they make the grade.

And if you notice I only included Italian surnamed associates. I know that there were other "non Italians" involved, but these men were listed under "associate members". The reason for this is that when I use that phrase, I only list men who because of their ethnicity were "eligible" for induction. I am aware that several could very well have been inducted members, or may have been inducted at a later time. But if they were "on the fence" in my estimation, they went in that list and not the "soldier" list above it.

Last edited by NYMafia; 08/21/20 12:07 AM.
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995801
08/21/20 12:13 AM
08/21/20 12:13 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

But Giacomo, I do have a question for you.

What did you think of my expose on the Cerrito Family overall?

I for one was surprised at how much intricate information I was able to glean than I first thought I'd be able to gather up. The Cerrito crew was a very flat borgata for the most part. Attempting to write a full story about them was a challenge to say the least. There isn't a lot on them.

And as I stated in my intro I was also surprised at just how successful Joe Cerrito actually had been. He had a stellar underworld career to say the least!

Made many millions, remained a top boss for decades, and never did a day in the jug! It doesn't get much better than that!! LOL

Last edited by NYMafia; 08/21/20 12:31 AM.
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995815
08/21/20 12:59 PM
08/21/20 12:59 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
Another great article NYMafia! TY

Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995818
08/21/20 03:29 PM
08/21/20 03:29 PM
California
M
Mikey_Sunset Offline
Capo
Mikey_Sunset  Offline
M
Capo
California
Awesome read - thanks!

As a native San Franciscan anything about alleged LCN in the Bay Area is always interesting. There isn't a lot of info compared to NY, Chicago, Vegas, Montreal and other areas where OC makes/made headlines on a regular basis.

Do you know if Ed Barbara was associated with San Jose? Ed was a locally "famous" TV pitchman for his Furniture USA stores. He was involved in a goldmine and other scams. Here's some info...

https://www.sfweekly.com/news/yesterdays-crimes-the-wolfman-of-el-camino/

Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995829
08/21/20 08:04 PM
08/21/20 08:04 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Not a bad article. A challenging project. Joe Bonanno was their representative on the Commission. Frank Garofalo had a box manufacturing plant in Mercer, Salvatore Profaci brother to Joe Profaci visited a few times a year there. Vincenzo Figlia, father of Emmanuel Figlia was also made in the Profaci family before relocating to San Jose. Anthony Scavuzzo owned a peach orchard outside Modesto, and was listed in a janitorial capacity at his sons steakhouse in Santa Clara. Salvatore Costanza worked at General Motors plant in Freemont. Joe Cerrito was not caught at the 1957s big meet at Barbara's house, he and Jimmy Lanza escaped, Cerrito through New Orleans and Lanza through Milwaukee. That law suit brought on by Joe Cerrito really angered alot of members in his family, and some members in the San Francisco family thought he had lost his mind.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #995851
08/21/20 09:28 PM
08/21/20 09:28 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Not a bad article. A challenging project. Joe Bonanno was their representative on the Commission. Frank Garofalo had a box manufacturing plant in Mercer, Salvatore Profaci brother to Joe Profaci visited a few times a year there. Vincenzo Figlia, father of Emmanuel Figlia was also made in the Profaci family before relocating to San Jose. Anthony Scavuzzo owned a peach orchard outside Modesto, and was listed in a janitorial capacity at his sons steakhouse in Santa Clara. Salvatore Costanza worked at General Motors plant in Freemont. Joe Cerrito was not caught at the 1957s big meet at Barbara's house, he and Jimmy Lanza escaped, Cerrito through New Orleans and Lanza through Milwaukee. That law suit brought on by Joe Cerrito really angered alot of members in his family, and some members in the San Francisco family thought he had lost his mind.

Well thanks for that glowing endorsement. That was very generous of you!...LOL

Not so sure about Bonanno repping them, In fact thats one of the reasons why he was pulled on the carpet by the Commission. For trying to make moves on smaller WC families. I personally think Profaci was their man. Bonanno was out in Arizona by the 40s and with that excuse he tried pushing in on San Jose and San Francisco with several of his men who had either moved or been sent out there.

But at the end of the day Cerrito and his brother Sal were "compare" with Joe Profaci (all Villabate born), and even Profaci's men who later got nabbed with the drug cases tied up with the Cerrito mob. Bonanno was a friend (or was supposed to be), but he had big eyes.

And he lost ALL his men after he was shelved by the Commission. Period!.... Finito!

At that point whoever was out that way went with San Jose or another crew that were petitioned.

Last edited by NYMafia; 08/21/20 10:08 PM.
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995856
08/21/20 09:51 PM
08/21/20 09:51 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Reading your articles and learning more about the mob has shown something nobody really teaches you when you first start researching. Transferring families is not uncommon, it's actually very common. And some families (like on the west coast) actually rely on it to survive.

Who knows what happened to the 20-40 Bonanno east coasters once Bonanno was put on the shelf. Maybe they settled in San Jose, San Francisco, or went back to New York to be part of the main borgata. Charles Battagia and I want to say...Vito Mule are the only Bonanno west coasters there's a lot of info on.

In my opinion the entertainment industry and shipping industry was so huge on the west coast that there has to have been opportunity that wasn't getting exploited. Bonanno was right to try to hone in on their turf from an economic standpoint. However, it was against the mafia rules, frowned upon, and one of many infractions that landed him in hot water (planting his flag all over the world).

NY Mafia I don't post a lot but I read all your articles. Look forward to it in these quarantine times.

Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: BarrettM] #995860
08/21/20 10:27 PM
08/21/20 10:27 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by BarrettM
Reading your articles and learning more about the mob has shown something nobody really teaches you when you first start researching. Transferring families is not uncommon, it's actually very common. And some families (like on the west coast) actually rely on it to survive.

Who knows what happened to the 20-40 Bonanno east coasters once Bonanno was put on the shelf. Maybe they settled in San Jose, San Francisco, or went back to New York to be part of the main borgata. Charles Battagia and I want to say...Vito Mule are the only Bonanno west coasters there's a lot of info on.

In my opinion the entertainment industry and shipping industry was so huge on the west coast that there has to have been opportunity that wasn't getting exploited. Bonanno was right to try to hone in on their turf from an economic standpoint. However, it was against the mafia rules, frowned upon, and one of many infractions that landed him in hot water (planting his flag all over the world).

NY Mafia I don't post a lot but I read all your articles. Look forward to it in these quarantine times.

Barrett, first of all I want to thank you for your very positive comments about this story, as well as other stories I've posted. I enjoy my research and writing. But your comments and compliments are another of the main reasons why I do what I do. To try and entertain people as well as try and shed light on little known aspects of "The Life".... So thanks for that!

I enjoy the feedback from readers of my articles and exposes' afterwards, so please feel free to interact with me. I greatly respect what you have to say.

And I agree with EVERYTHING you said about the West Coast crews 100%!

Because of their ages (most were getting on in years), many of the inducted soldiers and associates who later followed the Bonanno's out to Tuscon just retired. Just faded off into the sunset. In truth they had pretty much resigned themselves to that from the get-go when they migrated out there with him.

The few who wanted to stay active in the life did indeed move over to the San Jose crew. And I'm sure as "good fellows" they had many, many "compare" back in NYC that they could call on for help if needed. And although they may have stayed out west, it doesn't mean that they HAD to transfer membership unless they were in a territory THAT IS preordained as another Family bosses territory.

Sometimes a guy could live in a far off city for years such as Sal Pisello (a soldier in the Gambino family does), and still always retain his NYC Gambino membership.

There used to be a steadfast rule that any good fellow who moves to the territory of another borgata has to transfer membership if he plants his flag there and intends to stay past 6 months..... in the old days the Old Mustaches were sticklers over rules like that. Nowadays (and even 20-30 years ago), it became a lot looser.

I know guys who have lived out of state for years and never had to re-affiliate. Lots of times it's because the soldier WANTS to get away from his parent borgata. He wants a fresh start. Know what I mean?
----
As far as you saying the the shipping industry and other industries were wide open for the taking, you're absolutely right. But at the end of the day, even if the resident borgata is a Mickey Mouse Crew like the LA Family was, etc., its their call to run the way their Representante sees fit! NOT that of another boss from another city.... PERIOD!

Last edited by NYMafia; 08/21/20 10:30 PM.
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995879
08/22/20 09:53 AM
08/22/20 09:53 AM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
@NYMafia great stuff as always. One thing thats always interested me when looking at LCN in this country was always the information about the small families that came and went.

" If you're going to be bad, be good at it "

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: The_Marble_Guy] #995882
08/22/20 10:01 AM
08/22/20 10:01 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by The_Marble_Guy
@NYMafia great stuff as always. One thing thats always interested me when looking at LCN in this country was always the information about the small families that came and went.

I wholeheartedly agree. So much has and is always written about the larger Families that it almost bores me at some point. But the little known borgatas draw my interest for that exact opposite reason. Mostly nobody knows diddly about them.

Thats actually why I've been writing about them. To draw out all the little known "secondary" information that typically "mob buffs" don't care about. Everybody wants the blood and guts aspect of the mafia. But I find the little nuances of their lives the most interesting part.

BTW: I left you a message in the above post about "littlest" families in the USA. I've got my story almost completed about what was INDEED "the littlest" Family ever - Carlo Caputo's borgata in Madison. Please read it and give any feedback you wish to me ok.

Last edited by NYMafia; 08/22/20 10:01 AM.
Re: The Cerrito Family of San Jose, California [Re: NYMafia] #995905
08/22/20 07:52 PM
08/22/20 07:52 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Joe Bonanno was the "District Trouble Shooter" for San Jose. The smaller families always made sure to have two allies or friends on the Commission. After Bonanno was in trouble the Profaci family represented San Jose through John Misuraca. When Persico became boss it was Salvatore Profaci son of Joe Profaci who was the messenger. When Angelo became boss, the Gambino family represented the family on the Commission through a retired member living in Livermore who was direct with Dellacroce, being a former soldier in his crew. During Angelo Marino reign as boss is interesting before 1980, when the Colombo through Salvatore Profaci, Bonanno through Phil Ciaccone, Gambino, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia had some influence in San Jose "Nostra Brigada". When Figlia became boss, the Gambino family still represented them until John Gotti became boss of the Gambino family, then it was back to Salvatore Profaci for the Colombos. The family voted to disband in 1995.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull