GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,360
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,202
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vito Genovese allies #990538
05/04/20 08:54 AM
05/04/20 08:54 AM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline OP
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline OP
Underboss
I know this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find any of the threads that answer this specific question. If you know of one, please post the link.

I was wondering what captains or otherwise key soldiers/associates were Vito Genovese supporters during and after his move on Costello. Vito's faction, if you will.

Furthermore, do Bellomo and the family leadership today have roots in the Luciano/Costello faction or the Vito Genovese faction?

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990539
05/04/20 09:42 AM
05/04/20 09:42 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

If I remember correct Vito was Luciano underboss till he had to flee to Italy in the 40tys because of some murder. Costello's was consig and got bumped to acting boss or was he the official boss of the genovese family by 1950ish. My point was vito had all the power when he went on the run and when he came back to the USA he job was taken. I think the commission backed Costello's it wasn't really about any capos in there family. The power was the other bosses

Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990541
05/04/20 10:09 AM
05/04/20 10:09 AM
OakAsFan Offline OP
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline OP
Underboss
Thanks Pmac.

Do you know which actual Genovese captains or influential soldiers were against Vito all along and which sided with him? Was there a Vito Genovese faction of this family and a Costello faction? If so, where does today's leadership have its roots? Would Barney be more a Vito Genovese guy or a Costello guy?

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990544
05/04/20 11:14 AM
05/04/20 11:14 AM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
According to Peter Maas' book The Valachi Papers, when Genovese came back from Italy, he had the support of two crews out of the six that made up the family. The crews headed by Tony Bender and Mike Miranda. According to Valachi, Genovese was pissed off at Bender because he felt like Bender let Costello's guys take over everything.

Last edited by Fleming_Ave; 05/04/20 11:16 AM.
Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990545
05/04/20 11:31 AM
05/04/20 11:31 AM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
The same book also says that when Vito finally made his move, he called a meeting of all the captains. They all showed up except for one, and he was later clipped. (along with a woman who happened to be with him) for it.

Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990564
05/04/20 04:52 PM
05/04/20 04:52 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
I'll tackle the Alleged Barney position first, He would have come out of the Vito Genovese line by Coppola crew and virtue of being blessed by Vinnie Chin.

Sceond, the power that Costello wielded was partly because Luciano was still in the picture in the late 40's when Genovese returned to U.S. Once Willie Moretti who was Costello's muscle got clipped, the power within started to shift back to Vito
the main players
Costello side:
Willie Moretti/Jerry Catena
Joe Adonis/Jimmy Blue Eyes Alo
Little Augie Pisano Carfano
Joe Socks Lanza
Genovese Side:
Tony Bender Strollo
Trigger Mike Coppola
Mike Miranda

On the fence guys:
Tommy Greco
Rocco Pellegrino
possibly more

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 05/05/20 04:40 PM.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990567
05/04/20 06:02 PM
05/04/20 06:02 PM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
In recorded conversations, Ray DeCarlo spoke very highly of Genovese. I'm pretty sure Little Pussy Russo liked him too.

I agree with Dob_Peppino about Barney being a "Genovese guy".

Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990577
05/04/20 08:49 PM
05/04/20 08:49 PM
OakAsFan Offline OP
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline OP
Underboss
So with Barney being a Genovese guy, it's safe to say that ultimately Vito won out despite going to prison and Gambino maneuvering into power.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm going to read the Valachi Papers again soon. I read it about a decade ago and couldn't really get into it, but I think I'll enjoy it a lot more now since I recognize more of the names and have taken more of an interest in the history and politics of the Genovese family.

Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990588
05/05/20 05:30 AM
05/05/20 05:30 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
The old mob books are always better after more years of researching information. I'm more of a Bonanno guy(obviously lol) myself and I've reread "Man of Honor" joe bonanno's autobiography, I had way more understanding and context reading the second time around, making it more interesting. It was pretty boring the first time.

Genovese's influence was definite until his death because of the people that he had in place and the power to remove potential rivals within the Family (Tony Bender, Tommy Eboli, Mike Miranda, Benny Squint, Frank Tieri etc).
Gambino made stragetic maneuvers to eliminate his opponent but he wasn't bloodthirsty. And he inherited alot of his power from his alliance with Tommy Lucchese, fter his death.

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 05/05/20 05:31 AM.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: Vito Genovese allies [Re: OakAsFan] #990593
05/05/20 10:11 AM
05/05/20 10:11 AM
OakAsFan Offline OP
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline OP
Underboss
I always recommend revisiting non fiction books that people might have found boring the first time if they've learned more on the topic. The first time I read Frattiano's book I didn't like it. It was my introduction to the California mob and I didn't recognize most of the names. It was a difficult read and I ended up skimming through it. Over the course of the next few years I learned a lot more about the topic, and when I reread the book the names were really jumping out at me. I enjoy it more each time I read it.

I like Man of Honor. Bonanno really goes into the "Sicilian faction" vs. the "Americanized" faction. That was really a thing. At first the Americanized faction (Luciano, Costello, Anastasia, etc) won out obviously but when you look at the mob today and see Sicilians being incorporated into the higher ranks, especially in the Gambinos, you get the sense the organization is going back to its roots. Bonanno really despised Neapolitans. Insisted they could never understand what the mafia truly stands for. He didn't even believe Capone should have been made.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull