GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 62 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,212
Posts1,056,141
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! #988859
04/05/20 08:45 PM
04/05/20 08:45 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! The Myths Exposed

Is the mob life everything it's cracked up to be? How many happy endings were there for the risk? The Other Guy takes a hard look.

https://thenewyorkmafia.com/mob-job-security/

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #988873
04/05/20 10:02 PM
04/05/20 10:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: Turnbull] #988875
04/05/20 10:11 PM
04/05/20 10:11 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Thanks for sharing. The other guy isn't a member of this board, but I forwarded him the link.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996165
08/28/20 03:07 PM
08/28/20 03:07 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I think that relative to the conversation we are having about Crea, as well as the life in general, this piece of mine does accurately reflect what many face in "the life".

And of course there were many others that you've NEVER heard about because they were extremely savvy, lucky, low key....or a combination of all three and never fell.

Or in the alternative you may have heard of their names, but they were never high profile guys and mostly stayed under the radar.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: Turnbull] #996656
09/07/20 02:53 PM
09/07/20 02:53 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by Turnbull

Turnbull, I've been reading through this link you sent me previously related to my post.

It was a very good thread you started. I'm not done with it yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996658
09/07/20 04:52 PM
09/07/20 04:52 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
The big camorra clans pay the members that are jailed and in some cases also the legal fees.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996660
09/07/20 05:30 PM
09/07/20 05:30 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Be a criminal never was easy because you can't trust anyone and risk to be killed every moment and often is your best friend that pull the trigger or flip but what made wiseguys different was that in the glorious days,in my opinion from the 1930s to the Valachi hearings,was more easy to made money because the old guys that come from poverty was more tought and ready to go to prison (and like in Goodfellas the life in prison was more easy for a mobster) and also was more easy to bribe someone and even with the drugs you would have the garsh sentences of today.

For this reasons in to be a wiseguy there were more strengths than defects but now the wiseguys are like the other criminals and for this reason that many mobsters refused to be made because is like to put a target for the feds on his back.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: furio_from_naples] #996661
09/07/20 06:04 PM
09/07/20 06:04 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
Be a criminal never was easy because you can't trust anyone and risk to be killed every moment and often is your best friend that pull the trigger or flip but what made wiseguys different was that in the glorious days,in my opinion from the 1930s to the Valachi hearings,was more easy to made money because the old guys that come from poverty was more tought and ready to go to prison (and like in Goodfellas the life in prison was more easy for a mobster) and also was more easy to bribe someone and even with the drugs you would have the garsh sentences of today.

For this reasons in to be a wiseguy there were more strengths than defects but now the wiseguys are like the other criminals and for this reason that many mobsters refused to be made because is like to put a target for the feds on his back.

I agree with your assessment. Years back their lives were poverty filled and there was little to lose. Even life inside a jail was often better than the conditions they came from.

Today it is much different......across the board. Both in "quality" of guy who is drawn to the life, and the laws and conditions around them

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996673
09/08/20 05:12 AM
09/08/20 05:12 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Originally Posted by NYMafia

I agree with your assessment. Years back their lives were poverty filled and there was little to lose. Even life inside a jail was often better than the conditions they came from.

Today it is much different......across the board. Both in "quality" of guy who is drawn to the life, and the laws and conditions around them

What I saying is that in the 1930s-1950s the mosters was emigrated from italy or was a second generation americans that still speak italian and saw Cosa Nostra as a brotherhood and prefer to die than be a snitch or to spend long years in prison.
When in the 1960s-1970s they was replaced by full americanized mobsters that saw the mob only as a way to made money and doesnt want to spend years in prison or put the family beyond the blood family that the american Cosa Nostra become to lost strenght and with the RICO and Witsec in the 1980s that the american mafia was seriously damaged.

Now with a poor recruitment pool of course there still young stand up guys like Pappa or DeFrancisci or Nicodemo in philly but are only exceptions.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996675
09/08/20 06:31 AM
09/08/20 06:31 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I agree with you Furio. As the years and decades passed, the mob recruitment pool was diluted of its purity and quality. Originally most of the men who joined the mob revered its history and concept of fidelity and brotherhood. And although most went into the mob as a way to make big money quickly, for many money was almost secondary to the "honor" of being made into this brotherhood of "men of honor.

As they immigrated to America, and even into the second generation of American born mafiosi (but still Italian speaking men) the mob stayed strong with its unique set of "values" so to speak.

But as the more American born recruits were brought into the fold, and especially with the advent of crippling new laws such as the RICO and WITSEC programs, the mob "gene" pool got diluted and weaker. And it became the "Me" generation of putting yourself first and not the organization. Basically many of the new breed were "full of shit" and only there for the "gravy train" of money they thought they could make. Once they got arrested many of them folded.

The Mafia is not uncommon to the larger general public of Yuppie assholes who are self-centered and think its all about them.

PS: one more MAJOR thing to consider is the fact that decades ago many of the men drawn to this life (although not formally college educated) were extremely bright individuals who were drawn to the life for its sense of brotherhood and honor, which when growing up in Italian neighborhoods was a big thing and viewed very differently than the general public views the organization. Many of these were men that if circumstances in their lives had been different, could have become executives of major companies and captains of industry. But because of the cards they were dealt (poverty, etc), became captains in Cosa Nostra instead.

Today?? Lol, most of the fellas drawn to this life as the "dregs" of society. Dummies and "ner do wells", that in any era would have been at the low end of the totem pole. With few exceptions, these fellas are not the "creme of the crop" so to speak. You're not seeing the Frank Costello's and Carlo Gambino's anymore. Visionaries and savvy guys.

There are a few, but overall young Italian men have too many other "options" today. Our people are highly educated, college educated, and most are solidly middle class if not upper class in American society..... Thank God for it.

There is little "need" for an organization such as the Mafia in the year 2020. These are the REAL reasons why the brotherhood is weak.

I have my own thoughts on how Cosa Nostra should proceed if they want to successfully survive in todays world, but that is a story that I will keep to myself for now. But I am thinking about possibly writing an expose' on that very subject in the future.... we'll see. Lol

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996676
09/08/20 07:26 AM
09/08/20 07:26 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
I agree with you Furio. As the years and decades passed, the mob recruitment pool was diluted of its purity and quality. Originally most of the men who joined the mob revered its history and concept of fidelity and brotherhood. And although most went into the mob as a way to make big money quickly, for many money was almost secondary to the "honor" of being made into this brotherhood of "men of honor.

As they immigrated to America, and even into the second generation of American born mafiosi (but still Italian speaking men) the mob stayed strong with its unique set of "values" so to speak.

But as the more American born recruits were brought into the fold, and especially with the advent of crippling new laws such as the RICO and WITSEC programs, the mob "gene" pool got diluted and weaker. And it became the "Me" generation of putting yourself first and not the organization. Basically many of the new breed were "full of shit" and only there for the "gravy train" of money they thought they could make. Once they got arrested many of them folded.

The Mafia is not uncommon to the larger general public of Yuppie assholes who are self-centered and think its all about them.

PS: one more MAJOR thing to consider is the fact that decades ago many of the men drawn to this life (although not formally college educated) were extremely bright individuals who were drawn to the life for its sense of brotherhood and honor, which when growing up in Italian neighborhoods was a big thing and viewed very differently than the general public views the organization. Many of these were men that if circumstances in their lives had been different, could have become executives of major companies and captains of industry. But because of the cards they were dealt (poverty, etc), became captains in Cosa Nostra instead.

Today?? Lol, most of the fellas drawn to this life as the "dregs" of society. Dummies and "ner do wells", that in any era would have been at the low end of the totem pole. With few exceptions, these fellas are not the "creme of the crop" so to speak. You're not seeing the Frank Costello's and Carlo Gambino's anymore. Visionaries and savvy guys.

There are a few, but overall young Italian men have too many other "options" today. Our people are highly educated, college educated, and most are solidly middle class if not upper class in American society..... Thank God for it.

There is little "need" for an organization such as the Mafia in the year 2020. These are the REAL reasons why the brotherhood is weak.

I have my own thoughts on how Cosa Nostra should proceed if they want to successfully survive in todays world, but that is a story that I will keep to myself for now. But I am thinking about possibly writing an expose' on that very subject in the future.... we'll see. Lol

Yo're right too NYMafia for me the only way to survive for the familieas was to made few and trusted men and enlarge the associates numbers and why not recruit more men from sicily or even in Calabria and the other South Italy regions.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996677
09/08/20 08:36 AM
09/08/20 08:36 AM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

That would help them Furio, but today even in Italy and Sicily there are too many of the new generation malandrinna that also do not hold to the strict values and rules of Cosa Nostra. They are a much better "crop" of mafiosi than the Americans, but still are not what they once were.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996678
09/08/20 11:06 AM
09/08/20 11:06 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
That would help them Furio, but today even in Italy and Sicily there are too many of the new generation malandrinna that also do not hold to the strict values and rules of Cosa Nostra. They are a much better "crop" of mafiosi than the Americans, but still are not what they once were.

Maybe not in Sicily or Campania but in Calabria there young boys that still believe in the ndragheta values.Maybe the 5 families should try to ally with the ndrangheta clans.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996683
09/08/20 03:08 PM
09/08/20 03:08 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

I believe that some of that IS currently happening today. And has been. Several years ago I was introduced to several Calabrese who had recently immigrated to New York. We ate lunch together in an Italian restaurant in Manhattan that one of them operated. We talked about our common Calabrian heritage.They asked me where my people came from in Calabria, and they told me where they were born. Very nice guys, in the late 30s early 40s.

After we said our goodbyes and left, I was told by my friends that they were also "friends" from Italy. And very good guys. I obviously understood what that meant.
---
Although they had a very late start compared to Sicilians and the Napolitani, the Calabrese are indeed making major inroads in the States (as well as Canada which has been well documented for decades already).

So believe me, they are stronger America than many would think

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: NYMafia] #996685
09/08/20 04:32 PM
09/08/20 04:32 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
I believe that some of that IS currently happening today. And has been. Several years ago I was introduced to several Calabrese who had recently immigrated to New York. We ate lunch together in an Italian restaurant in Manhattan that one of them operated. We talked about our common Calabrian heritage.They asked me where my people came from in Calabria, and they told me where they were born. Very nice guys, in the late 30s early 40s.

After we said our goodbyes and left, I was told by my friends that they were also "friends" from Italy. And very good guys. I obviously understood what that meant.
---
Although they had a very late start compared to Sicilians and the Napolitani, the Calabrese are indeed making major inroads in the States (as well as Canada which has been well documented for decades already).

So believe me, they are stronger America than many would think

Stronger in America? For sure is possible given that the Calabrians used to create celle in every contry.

7 calabrian men of honour can create a ndrina,7 ndrine create a Locale and so on. The Feds don't are focused on the ndrangheta but on the mexican cartels.

Re: In Any Era The Mafioso Path Was A Rocky One! [Re: furio_from_naples] #996689
09/08/20 04:48 PM
09/08/20 04:48 PM
N
NYMafia Offline OP
NYMafia  Offline OP

N

---

So believe me, they are stronger in America than many would think

Stronger in America? For sure is possible given that the Calabrians used to create celle in every contry.

7 calabrian men of honour can create a ndrina,7 ndrine create a Locale and so on. The Feds don't are focused on the ndrangheta but on the mexican cartels.

Yes, I have to say they operate very low key in the United States. Almost like ghosts. Thats a good thing for them

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull