GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (furio_from_naples, 1 invisible), 117 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,355
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,735
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,283
Posts1,057,853
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Morellos #988748
04/04/20 07:31 PM
04/04/20 07:31 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline OP
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline OP
Underboss
Do a search on the history of the mob and you'll likely be linked to a wikipedia entry and several articles about this family. My question isn't so much in regard to their history but as to how many bloodline Morellos were still active when the commission was formed in 1931. Had they all pretty much died out by then? If any were active were they mostly with the Harlem families like the Gagliano/Lucchese or Luciano ? Did any branch out elsewhere? I believe they were active in New Orleans so did any end up with Marcello or any of the southern mobs after commission was formed?

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The Morellos [Re: OakAsFan] #988778
04/05/20 08:36 AM
04/05/20 08:36 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
There are families in the mafia related to them, but as for the names Morello or Terranova, no. Joe Morello son passed away sometime ago, didnt realized he had another son when he remarried, it was in an obituary that another poster had sent to me. Rocco Lupo, son of the Wolf was killed in 1948, was a mob associate to either the Genovese or Lucchese crime family. Catania, Provanzano, and a lot of other members can trace connections to Ciro Terranova and the Catania family.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Morellos [Re: OakAsFan] #988801
04/05/20 12:26 PM
04/05/20 12:26 PM
OakAsFan Offline OP
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline OP
Underboss
Thanks Vacari. I was wondering how many of the Morellos were even still around when the commission was formed. Probably not many. It's interesting how many guard changes there were before the commission. Since the commission the power only seems to shift every 20 years or so.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The Morellos [Re: OakAsFan] #993199
06/27/20 10:21 PM
06/27/20 10:21 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Morello family split into the Genovese, Gambino, Lucchese, and Colombo crime families. Genovese and Lucchese being the big ones. When Ignazio Lupo went away, Salvatore D'Aquila took over being the forerunner for the Gambino family. Around 1920 Salvatore DiBella an independent gang took in members from A'quila. Bonanno family is the only family that did not have any connections to the Morello crime family. Also there a lot of gangs that were absorbed into the five families.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Morellos [Re: OakAsFan] #993203
06/28/20 05:41 AM
06/28/20 05:41 AM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
There's evidence to suggest that Lupo ran his own family rather than being a lieutenant of Morello. In a 1902 letter from Francesco Genova (of New Orleans) to Morello, he describes a young Sicilian as being in the "House of Lupo". "House of" was also a term used in Man of Honor when Bonanno recalls a discussion between Morello and Maranzano about the "House of Schiro" or the Schiro Family.
There are also other indications that Lupo held his own authority equal to Morello in New York at the time, such as in 1903 when an informant witnessed a meeting in a restaurant between Lupo, Morello, Vito Cascio Ferro and Morello's men. Lupo was the one leading that meeting. In 1909, Antonio Comito observed Lupo interrupting Morello, which was noticeably different from the behaviour observed from Morello's men. Just before Morello and Lupo were convicted of counterfeiting, Lupo was observed by Comito to berate Morello.
A deported mobster using the pseudonym Zio Trestelle also told author Giuseppe Selvaggi that Lupo promptly established himself as a boss shortly after arriving in New York in 1898.
It's likely the Family headed by Lupo was that of Nicola Taranto who was described as the "Supreme Head of the Mafia" by the New York Herald after he was arrested in 1896 for counterfeiting. Taranto's "right hand man" was Frank DiGregoli, who was from Palermo, like Lupo (unlike the Morellos, who were from Corleone).

In late 1913, the Secret Service learned from informant Salvatore Clement that there were four borgatas in New York at that time, lead by Manfredi Mineo, Nicolo Schiro, Fortunato Lo Monte (successor to Morello), and Salvatore D'Aquila.
Mineo and D'Aquila were both Palermitani, and both operated in similar areas in Manhattan and Brooklyn. It's possible the Lupo Family was split between the two of them or that one of them took over that Family and another group was formed. What's interesting is that when D'Aquila was killed, it was Mineo who took over that Family, meaning you would have had a boss transfer from one Family to another (which seems more likely if the two groups split off in the first place). By the late 1920s, one Palermitani Family goes from D'Aquila to Mineo to Frank Scalise to Vincent Mangano, and the other (likely the original Mineo Family before he transfered to the D'Aquila group) goes from Salvatore DiBella to Joseph Profaci in time for the Castellammarese War. Either way, you can see the origins of the Gambino and Colombo Families at that moment in the split in the Palermitani.
In the Morello Family, Lo Monte is killed in 1914 and eventually succeeded by Salvatore Loiacano. When Morello got out he tried to take control of the Family again, killing Loiacano and resulting in the Second Mafia War. You don't see evidence of the split in the Corleonesi until the 1920s, which likely was caused by Morello's war. Regardless, you see at that point the emergence of the Masseria-Morello Family and the Reina Family (though you can argue about which one split from which; after all, the Morello group were the rebels in the war). Masseria then has Reina killed and installs Joseph Pinzolo as the new boss (like how he replaced D'Aquila with Mineo), but the Tommy Gagliano group kills him and takes over, siding with Maranzano. Masseria and Morello are killed during the war and Charles Luciano takes over that Family.
For the origins of the Bonanno Family, you can trace them back to Paolo Orlando, then Sebastiano DiGaetano (who appears to have briefly been Capo Dei Capi during Morello's incarceration), then Schiro until 1930 and then Maranzano. Obviously, Maranzano is killed in 1931 and temporarily replaced by his underboss Angelo Caruso. Caruso then steps aside and Joseph Bonanno is elected boss.

Re: The Morellos [Re: OakAsFan] #993206
06/28/20 09:35 AM
06/28/20 09:35 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Great post CG. The Camorra origins into the families is easy, the Ndrangheta were welcomed into the Genovese, Gambino and Lucchese crime family without a hitch. I like to point out that that A'quila and Mineo families did merge in June 1914 after Fortunato Charles Lomonte died. Salvatore DiBella was from The Mineo family, but broke away after Salvatore Mauro is killed, not by A'quila but by Joe the Boss.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull