GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,190
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sonny and Carlo fight #986567
02/17/20 01:52 PM
02/17/20 01:52 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Wouldn’t there have been serious repercussions within the family because Sonny put his hands on a made man? He ultimately met his demise later on but do you think there were people within the Corleone family who were against Sonny touching another made man in that manner? Sonny had other men with him like Willie Cicci who must have been loyal to him at that time. We know it’s a hypocritical rule in itself but there people have been killed or at least almost killed over putting their hands on made men before.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Revis_Knicks] #986574
02/17/20 03:26 PM
02/17/20 03:26 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
I don't believe that Carlo was anything above an associate at best. Vito even told Tom to "give him a living" and not to discuss Family business with him. Vito distrusted him because he wasn't full blooded Sicilian and he only consented to his marriage to Connie on the condition that they have a traditional Sicilian wedding. Nobody in the Family had any respect for him,and certainly could care less about Sonny beating his brains out. He ran a small gambling business for the Corleones and he even screwed that up.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Lou_Para] #986590
02/17/20 07:24 PM
02/17/20 07:24 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
I don't believe that Carlo was anything above an associate at best. Vito even told Tom to "give him a living" and not to discuss Family business with him. Vito distrusted him because he wasn't full blooded Sicilian and he only consented to his marriage to Connie on the condition that they have a traditional Sicilian wedding. Nobody in the Family had any respect for him,and certainly could care less about Sonny beating his brains out. He ran a small gambling business for the Corleones and he even screwed that up.

Thank you for so much insight. I read that Carlo’s family was from northern Italy and that’s why Vito didn’t trust him. Sonny obviously did since he was the one who introduced Carlo to his sister Connie. Southern Italians really stuck together against the northern Italians at that time. Especially the southern 3rd of the country. Places like Sicily, the lower half of Calabria and Apulia. Naples too but some of their natives weren’t as close with some of the people from regions further south.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Revis_Knicks] #986591
02/17/20 09:38 PM
02/17/20 09:38 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
FYI, Sicily is a separate country. It is the island just off the "toe" of the boot of Italy. No Italian would refer to himself as Sicilian,and vice-versa. I'm Northern Italian and when I was growing up, my Grandmother would warm me about playing with the Sicilian kids in our neighborhood. She would tell me that if I had an argument with one of them,all of them would attack me,even kids who didn't know the guy I had the beef with. There is no love lost between the two countries.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Revis_Knicks] #986592
02/17/20 10:01 PM
02/17/20 10:01 PM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
Sicily is not a country. They still answer to the Italian government. If you're Sicilian, you're Italian. You can be Italian and not be Sicilian.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: blueracing347] #986597
02/17/20 10:58 PM
02/17/20 10:58 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
blueracing, I stand corrected. I think that because In my experience,if I asked a Sicilian if they're Italian they would emphatically say NO! and most "Italians" I know would speak negatively about Sicily,which many of them referred to as "La Terra Bruciata" (the scorched earth). Just goes to show that even at my age,(mid 60's), I can still learn something. That's the beauty of this board.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: blueracing347] #986598
02/17/20 11:03 PM
02/17/20 11:03 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
blueracing, I stand corrected. I think that because In my experience,if I asked a Sicilian if they're Italian they would emphatically say NO! and most "Italians" I know would speak negatively about Sicily,which many of them referred to as "La Terra Bruciata" (the scorched earth). Just goes to show that even at my age,(mid 60's), I can still learn something. That's the beauty of this board.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Revis_Knicks] #986599
02/17/20 11:04 PM
02/17/20 11:04 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Sorry about the duplicate post.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: blueracing347] #986600
02/17/20 11:07 PM
02/17/20 11:07 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Nowhere does it say that Carlo was a made man. And, even if he were, it would have been considered a family matter, not subject to some Mob BS rule that probably wasn't enforced anyway. Besides, Sonny was acting Don--and who was going to say boo to him?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Turnbull] #986693
02/20/20 01:18 AM
02/20/20 01:18 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Nowhere does it say that Carlo was a made man. And, even if he were, it would have been considered a family matter, not subject to some Mob BS rule that probably wasn't enforced anyway. Besides, Sonny was acting Don--and who was going to say boo to him?

I think I guessed that he was a made guy due to Michael moving him up once he became boss. He must have been made sometime between Sonny’s murder and Michael becoming don. Or as you said, it was a family matter and Carlo had no respect.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Lou_Para] #986694
02/20/20 01:27 AM
02/20/20 01:27 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lou_Para

It’s ok just an honest mistake. I think that regional mindset rings true with a lot of Italians. Not just Sicilians. I don’t think the southern Italians that I interacted with growing up in and out of my family were that different from one another whether they were from Sicily or not. I think there might be some minor differences between say a Sicilian and a Neapolitan but there is little to no difference between a Sicilian and a Calabrese. Especially if the person from Calabria is from any town close to Sicily.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Revis_Knicks] #986696
02/20/20 01:46 AM
02/20/20 01:46 AM
Michael_Giovanni Offline
Underboss
Michael_Giovanni  Offline
Underboss
I can’t speak for people living in Sicily but I know here in America I’ve met plenty of people with Sicilian heritage who refer to themselves as Italians.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Revis_Knicks] #986699
02/20/20 02:44 AM
02/20/20 02:44 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Revis_Knicks

I think I guessed that he was a made guy due to Michael moving him up once he became boss. He must have been made sometime between Sonny’s murder and Michael becoming don. Or as you said, it was a family matter and Carlo had no respect.

Michael said, "You're going to be my right hand man in Nevada." The novel says Carlo grew up in Nevada. Doesn't necessarily mean he was made--doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't made.

But, you raise an interesting point: Was anybody in the Corleone Family actually made? No depiction or mention of an actual "making" ceremony is shown or mentioned in the film or in the novel. Vito became a Don by killing Fanucci, taking over his local rackets, and expanding them via the "olive oil business." Clem and Tess were his trusted associates. Sonny, Fredo and Michael were sons. Granted, the Trilogy is fiction. But, I doubt Puzo and Coppola would have passed up an opportunity to show a "making" ceremony if they thought it was necessary or even relevant to the story. About the closest we see is Clem kissing Michael's hand at the very end and saying, "Don Corleone." Nice dramatic touch, period.

As I mentioned earlier, there's no ironclad rule that I know of that says everyone in every Mafia family has to be made--depends on what the Don wants to do. I think that was especially true in the era when GF takes place.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Revis_Knicks] #986719
02/20/20 08:48 PM
02/20/20 08:48 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Any insights about Rocco's status change, as fleshed out in the book? He was only in the family a couple years, was running some sort of rationing coupon operation during the war years. Would he have been part of the family then, or an associate? It seems clear that after killing Paulie he's to be part of the family with some sort kfiving.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: mustachepete] #986730
02/20/20 10:16 PM
02/20/20 10:16 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
Michael saying Carlo grew up in Nevada and moving him up once he became boss was a ploy keeping the enemies close
He was going to be whacked, he had to answer for Santino

Rocco's status changed after killing Paulie He became part of the family He was eating dinner with them before Sollozzo and McCluskey killings

I think it is fleshed out in the book Clemenza said something like he would be looked after once all these problems were taken care of by the family

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Evita] #986739
02/20/20 11:42 PM
02/20/20 11:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
All true. I infer (from the novel) that Clem's promised reward to Rocco was that he would be made after all the dust settled. That's why I found it surprising that, right after killing Paulie, he's eating Chinese food with Sonny, Clem, Tess and Michael. Pretty quick rise, don't you think? The late P. Lawrence and I used to go round and round about that. He questioned that it really was Rocco at that table--we went over the DVD frame by frame in that scene and he still wasn't convinced.

Re: Sonny and Carlo fight [Re: Turnbull] #986763
02/21/20 04:14 PM
02/21/20 04:14 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Revis_Knicks

Michael said, "You're going to be my right hand man in Nevada." The novel says Carlo grew up in Nevada. Doesn't necessarily mean he was made--doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't made.

But, you raise an interesting point: Was anybody in the Corleone Family actually made? No depiction or mention of an actual "making" ceremony is shown or mentioned in the film or in the novel. Vito became a Don by killing Fanucci, taking over his local rackets, and expanding them via the "olive oil business." Clem and Tess were his trusted associates. Sonny, Fredo and Michael were sons. Granted, the Trilogy is fiction. But, I doubt Puzo and Coppola would have passed up an opportunity to show a "making" ceremony if they thought it was necessary or even relevant to the story. About the closest we see is Clem kissing Michael's hand at the very end and saying, "Don Corleone." Nice dramatic touch, period.

As I mentioned earlier, there's no ironclad rule that I know of that says everyone in every Mafia family has to be made--depends on what the Don wants to do. I think that was especially true in the era when GF takes place.

I think your last sentence is the most important and sums it up. It is very much about eras. Who knows if Luciano and some of the early american gangsters went through any kind of ceremony? There’s a good chance that some from the era of the 1920s-1950s did not. That is the main reason why I think Michael Franzese seems to say certain scenes and plot points from The Godfather(such as Tom being consigliere) and the sopranos(such as Tony talking to a therapist) are unrealistic to him. Because he was not a part of the mafia in those eras. While he sees Goodfellas and Gotti to be realistic because those both depict his era.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull