GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 109 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,355
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,734
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,838
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #988995
04/07/20 04:29 PM
04/07/20 04:29 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
By 1960s many of Bonanno friends and allies in those families were dead, locked up, or retired For Buffalo top spot it would have been Peter Magaddino Sr or Salvatore Pieri Sr, Bonanno would have counted on Rochester, Hamilton, and Youngstown to take the rackets away from Magaddino. Salvatore Pieri Sr would eventually become boss.

Gambino, best bet would Joseph Colozzo, Peter Ferrara, or Carmine Fattico.
Lucchese, this is the hardest one to pin down cause that family was loyal to Lucchese. Paul Vario, and Ciro
Giampaolo are the only ones I can think of Bonanno trying to approach.

Paul Castellano was being used a messenger .

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #989002
04/07/20 06:18 PM
04/07/20 06:18 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Do you think if Carmine Galante was out the can, it could have changed the out come for Bonanno?

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Dob_Peppino] #989009
04/07/20 07:59 PM
04/07/20 07:59 PM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
Originally Posted by axx

Bonanno was able to settle his beef with Gambino.
Keep his legitimate businesses outside Ny.
Still act as a liason to Montreal and Sicily
secure peace for his loyalist who moved to Arizona and some of those who remained in Ny.
establish a quasi-Family in Arizona and California, unbothered.

He lost control of his family but evaded the RICO sentence and thus rotting in jail for the last 20 yrs of his life like other bosses. Had he been less close-fisted he would have been untouchable.

I agree, if Bonanno lasted past 1970, he would've ended up in jail on Rico or taking Galante's bullets as well.

Galante was loyal to Joe its my opinion he would never have turned on him. He wanted to take back family for what happened to Bonanno while he was away.

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: mchang93] #989029
04/07/20 09:12 PM
04/07/20 09:12 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by mchang93
Originally Posted by axx

Bonanno was able to settle his beef with Gambino.
Keep his legitimate businesses outside Ny.
Still act as a liason to Montreal and Sicily
secure peace for his loyalist who moved to Arizona and some of those who remained in Ny.
establish a quasi-Family in Arizona and California, unbothered.

He lost control of his family but evaded the RICO sentence and thus rotting in jail for the last 20 yrs of his life like other bosses. Had he been less close-fisted he would have been untouchable.

I agree, if Bonanno lasted past 1970, he would've ended up in jail on Rico or taking Galante's bullets as well.

Galante was loyal to Joe its my opinion he would never have turned on him. He wanted to take back family for what happened to Bonanno while he was away.

I meant Bonanno would have gotten the same thing that happen to Galante. I agree, Lilo probably wouldn't have betrayed Bonanno but I believe it was too much of a treacherous underbelly with the likes of Mike Sabella, Nicky Glasses, Rusty Rastelli and the upcoming Sonny Red, Philly Lucky, Big Trin, Sonny Black and Joe Massino. I think the result would've have been Bonanno laying next to Galante.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #989050
04/08/20 12:00 AM
04/08/20 12:00 AM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
What did wiseguys such as Lefty Guns, Frank Coppa, Curly Lino, etc. think of Joe Bananas after he was shelved to Arizona?

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #989053
04/08/20 12:55 AM
04/08/20 12:55 AM
A
axx Offline
Wiseguy
axx  Offline
A
Wiseguy
There wasn't much love for Bonanno, especially after he wrote the book. They were told not to approach or talk to him if they saw him anywhere. But I don't doubt he was still held in certain amout of respect amongst soldiers.

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: axx] #989054
04/08/20 06:06 AM
04/08/20 06:06 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
most of the people loyal or who had respect for Bonanno were dead or retired. of course, he would still be respected from the standpoint of being one of the originals. I am sure Bonanno did worry about the opinions of who he viewed as traitors.

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #989055
04/08/20 06:10 AM
04/08/20 06:10 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Njein
What did wiseguys such as Lefty Guns, Frank Coppa, Curly Lino, etc. think of Joe Bananas after he was shelved to Arizona?

I am curious what Lefty guns thought of Bonanno and where he was during the Bananas war? Wasn't he with Joe Notaro?
I wouldn't be suprised if their was no love lost, seeing as to he didn't get a button for his outstanding debts

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Dob_Peppino] #989075
04/08/20 12:46 PM
04/08/20 12:46 PM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by Njein

I am curious what Lefty guns thought of Bonanno and where he was during the Bananas war? Wasn't he with Joe Notaro?
I wouldn't be suprised if their was no love lost, seeing as to he didn't get a button for his outstanding debts

Agreed. I'm not sure if Bonnano stayed boss Lefty would have ever been made. The stipulation was he has to pay his huge debts and as far as I read he never fully paid it off before he was. He got it down to an acceptable amount and then was made. Bonnano's old school way of thinking problaly wouldnt have allowed it.

Last edited by mchang93; 04/08/20 12:47 PM.
Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #989087
04/08/20 03:24 PM
04/08/20 03:24 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Genovese
Michael Coppola- Phil Lombardo was acting for Coppola, Thomas Eboli- Pasquale Eboli was acting for his brother, Frank Celano, Frank Tieri, Peter DeFeo, Vincent Alo, James Angellino, Rosario Mogavero, Nick Ratenni, Richard Boiardo, Angelo DeCarlo, Eugene Catena, Vincenzo Genoroso, Thomas Greco, Cosmo Fresca, Salvatore Cufari, Girolamo Santuccio.

The Worcester crew was put under control of Girolamo Santuccio of Connecticut after Frank Iacone died in 1956, with Angelo Iacone acting capo in the area. Raymond Patriarca Sr, made Salvatore Cufari and five other members then transferred them to the Genovese crime family as a favor to Vito Genovese, thus Worcester than reported to Springfield Massachusetts.

With so many powerhouses, why do you think the Genovese Family were able to reframe from in-fighting? Do you think anyone or a combination of capos had enough support to take over the Family during this time?

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #989352
04/11/20 10:15 PM
04/11/20 10:15 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
What crew did Sonny Red Indelicato and Phillip Giaccone come from?

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #989358
04/12/20 01:13 AM
04/12/20 01:13 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
From his release from prison in 1966 till the time of his introduction into the Bonanno crime family he was an associate to the Sabella crew, by way of Frank Mari. When Mari was killed, he was claimed by Nicholas Marangello claimed Sonny Red. Sonny Black made mention of Alphonse Indelicato being an associate to the same crew in one of his talks with Joe Pistone, Sonny Red and Sonny Black were made at the same ceremony. 76' Alphonse Indelicato was a soldier in the Sabella crew. 77' they move soldiers around, Joe Massino was in Phil Giaccone crew, but switched to Sabella crew, while Indelicato was switched from Sabella to Leonardo Coppola crew as his son Bruno was given the ok to be made and would be put in that crew, also in the crew was Dominick Trinchera.

Phil Giaccone was in Rastelli's crew.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #989401
04/12/20 10:49 PM
04/12/20 10:49 PM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
Not sure if this is totally accurate, but Phil Lucky was also a protege of Joe Bonanno's underboss John Bonventre in the 50s and was related to Carlo Gambino through marriage.

As a side question, did the Gambinos, Genoveses, Luccheses and/or Colombos have any interests in Canada? I know the Bonannos have (or had) a crew based in Montreal since the 1950s, when Bonanno sent Galante there as part of his heroin scheme. The crew also lent several of their gunmen in the 3 capos murder, and George from Canada was the capo until he was killed in 1999. Sciascia's killing really soured the relations between the Rizzutos and the Bonannos.

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #989406
04/13/20 01:05 AM
04/13/20 01:05 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Alfano base was in New Jersey during the time and most members outside New York stayed on the sidelines, the exceptions were California and Arizona members that were not retired at the time. Alfano was in fact the defecto boss of New Jersey Bonanno faction since Carmine Galante was locked up. Galante had one of the biggest crews before his arrest, as by 1960 it split unknown who became capo of the new crew as two years later it would reemerge back into Galante crew, then again in 1965 which Joe Notaro was official capo then demoted for remaining loyal to Bonanno, Mike Sabella became official capo, but decided to remain on the sidelines which caused him to be demoted. The crew was then split into four crews with Michael Consolo, Amando Pollastrino, and Michael Zaffarano were named capos for the opposition against Bonanno, Joseph Ziccarelli became capo over the New Jersey members of the crew remained on the sidelines, while some soldiers went with Joe Notaro into supporting Bonanno, and a couple went with Sabella under the Lucchese crime family protection on the condition that dont touch a gun during the conflict.

Paul Sciacca was a good earner for the family in the Garment business, unions had his own bank or two in New Jersey, and had put in some work for the family. His business in the garment industry attracted Bonanno to promote him to capo. This is important cause he was such an earner there that Lucchese liked him over the year after they met that a friendship began, and through that he was introduced to Carlo Gambino. When Gaspare stepped down, Lucchese picked Paul Sciacca to lead and the other commission members backed the pick up. He was bumped up to acting boss and made his old mentor Pietro Crociata Capo over his old crew. Crociate was able to get old members in the family to their side. Sciacca was still struggling trying to get the family together during and after the war. During the war he bumped up Mari and Adamo to capos, then bumped Mari to his underboss.

Why Adamo and Mari tried to takeout Sciacca? Greed. Who supported them? Some members in the Bonanno crime family, and members in other families. Mari was feuding with Michele Miranda, and Frank Celano in the Genovese crime family. My theory is that the Genovese were setting them up. Whatever happened, Adamo and Mari were sure they could pull it off. The members who are said to have tipped off Sciacca about the plot are Nicholas Marangello and Frank Tartamella. After Mari and Adamo disappeared, Mike Sabella came back into the folds thanks to his good friend Marangello, and Tartamella was promoted to capo.

You said something interesting here about Lucchese "picking" Sciacca..... Tommy Lucchese, who i respect as a boss but not a fan because he was a weasel lol All those political connections taught him a thing or two. It is to my understanding based of Bonannos Book, the original 7 commission member had a complete autonomy of their Family. This was one of agreements of the Committee of peace. During the Anastasia/Gambino transition it was at a meeting where Lucchese suggested that Bonanno(as the chairman) make a decision on who should be allowed to lead that Family. This set the precedent of the Commission allowing, who was boss of a major family. Before this point, only the smaller families (like philly) needed Commission approval.

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #989407
04/13/20 01:12 AM
04/13/20 01:12 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
It keeps popping up that Ciaccone was a protege to Giovanni Bonventre, but it was John Aquaro. When Rastelli was bumped up to Consigliere, he made Ciaccone and bumped him up to capo in his old crew, Paul Sciacca, Carlo Gambino, and Joe Colombo approved him being made, and yes Gambino was a huge factor for the push. Joe Messino resented that, cause he had to wait till a decade later to he made. I would not he suprised if that was the real reason why he blocked Donnie Brasco for membership in fear he would be made before Salvatore Vitale.

Yes, the biggest interests they had in Canada was the drug trade. There plenty of documents that put Paolo Gambino, Joe Biondo of the Gambino family in Toronto, John Omento, Carmine Tramunti of the Lucchese in Toronto, Salvatore Profaci, Giuseppe and Salvatore Badalamenti, Salvatore Mineo and Ambrogio Magliocco of the Colombo crime family in areas of Canada, Pasquale Eboli, Salvatore Granello, Frank Iacone, Gasparo and Salvatore Campisi, and Vito Palmieri of the Genovese family. Not limited to Narcotics, but it was a big money maker and a lot of drugs that showed up in the North Eastern United States came from Canada.

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #989420
04/13/20 09:29 AM
04/13/20 09:29 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
By 1960s many of Bonanno friends and allies in those families were dead, locked up, or retired For Buffalo top spot it would have been Peter Magaddino Sr or Salvatore Pieri Sr, Bonanno would have counted on Rochester, Hamilton, and Youngstown to take the rackets away from Magaddino. Salvatore Pieri Sr would eventually become boss.

Gambino, best bet would Joseph Colozzo, Peter Ferrara, or Carmine Fattico.
Lucchese, this is the hardest one to pin down cause that family was loyal to Lucchese. Paul Vario, and Ciro
Giampaolo are the only ones I can think of Bonanno trying to approach.

Paul Castellano was being used a messenger .

Did Paul Vario and Ciro Giampaolo have issues with Three-fingers Brown?
any info on Ciro Giampaolo?

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #989483
04/14/20 12:18 PM
04/14/20 12:18 PM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
Based on the number of capos in 1963, am I correct to imply that this is a rough estimate of how many made men each family had?

- Bonanno: 200 to 250 made men
- Colombo: 150 to 200 made men
- Gambino: 400 to 450 made men
- Lucchese: 150 to 200 made men
- Genovese: 400 to 450 made men

Families outside of NYC:

- Buffalo Arm: 70 to 100 made men
- Philly: 70 to 100 made men
- New Jersey: 50 to 75 made men
- New England: 50 to 75 made men
- Bufalino/NE Pennsylvania: 50 to 75 made men
- Pittsburgh: 40 to 50 made men
- Cleveland: 40 to 60 made men
- Detroit: 70 to 100 made men
- Chicago: 150 to 200 made men
- Milwaukee: 30 to 40 made men
- Denver: 25 to 40 made men
- Tampa Bay: 40 to 60 made men
- New Orleans: 100 to 150 made men
- Dallas: 20 to 30 made men
- St Louis: 20 to 30 made men
- KCMO: 20 to 30 made men
- San Francisco: 25 to 45 made men
- Los Angeles: 45 to 60 made men
- San Jose: 25 to 40 made men
- Rochester: 50 to 75 made men
- Omaha: 20 to 40 made men

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #990243
04/28/20 02:24 PM
04/28/20 02:24 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
what is the split in the Gambino Family? Meaning who was apart of the Gambino/Sicilian faction and who were the remnants of Anastasia's Loyalist?

Can we assume that the Anastasia-Gambino family had the most members (on the Italian side) of Murder Inc?

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #990315
04/29/20 04:56 AM
04/29/20 04:56 AM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
Murder Inc was a myth. It was a loose affiliation of Jewish gangs that was misinterpreted (based on a pre-Valachi understanding of LCN) to be an enforcement wing for the Commission, and this idea has been repeated to the point where it is accepted as truth. The killings attributed to 'Murder Inc' were carried out by those Jewish gangs, sometimes with the approval of Albert Anastasia (to ensure they weren't killing anyone they shouldn't). Executions ordered by Anastasia are generally also attributed to 'Murder Inc', but the idea of Murder Inc as a clearly defined entity carrying out contracts nationwide for LCN is a myth.

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #990327
04/29/20 11:44 AM
04/29/20 11:44 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
They used to hang out in the candy store taking orders over the pay phone. They would travel all over the country. Come on now.

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #990338
04/29/20 03:40 PM
04/29/20 03:40 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
Murder inc. a myth? I’m sorry but t that’s gotta be an attempt at humor. No way it can be a serious comment

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: majicrat] #990350
04/29/20 07:35 PM
04/29/20 07:35 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by chin_gigante
Murder Inc was a myth. It was a loose affiliation of Jewish gangs that was misinterpreted (based on a pre-Valachi understanding of LCN) to be an enforcement wing for the Commission, and this idea has been repeated to the point where it is accepted as truth. The killings attributed to 'Murder Inc' were carried out by those Jewish gangs, sometimes with the approval of Albert Anastasia (to ensure they weren't killing anyone they shouldn't). Executions ordered by Anastasia are generally also attributed to 'Murder Inc', but the idea of Murder Inc as a clearly defined entity carrying out contracts nationwide for LCN is a myth.

Originally Posted by majicrat
Murder inc. a myth? I’m sorry but t that’s gotta be an attempt at humor. No way it can be a serious comment

What's the argument for or against Murder inc being a myth?

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Njein] #990355
04/29/20 08:47 PM
04/29/20 08:47 PM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
First of all, here's what Peter Maas writes about Murder Inc in "The Valachi Papers":

On the heels of this, the revelations of Abe (Kid Twist) Reles kept public attention focused on organized crime. Reles, a Buchalter crony, belonged to a band of Brooklyn mobsters popularly called Murder Incorporated, which had strong ties with several Cosa Nostra figures, most notably Anastasia. Information from Reles led to convictions in a half dozen previously unsolved gangland slayings. Murder Incorporated has since been portrayed as a sort of specialty house which handled contracts to kill for the entire U.S. underworld. This, according to Valachi, was not so at least as far as official Cosa Nostra executions were concerned. In such matters, he says, it has always relied on its own membership.

To follow up, as set forth below, is the most compact and comprehensive debunking of the Murder Inc narrative I can find:

This week we set the record straight about a  subject that has been raised by several Gang Land readers in the last few weeks: Murder Incorporated.

Murder Incorporated, the legendary gang of so-called hired killers from the Brownsville section of Brooklyn that supposedly served as an enforcement arm of La Cosa Nostra during the 1930's and 40's, is a myth.

There was never a stable of salaried killers who sat around waiting for murder assignments. The myth began in the 1940's, was reinforced by a 1951 best seller, "MURDER INC," by Burton Turkus and Sid Feder. The myth still  survives to this day for several interrelated reasons:

1. The general lack of knowledge about La Cosa Nostra half a century ago.
2. Certain law enforcement officials with political ambitions who wanted to appear as cutthroat gangsters.
3. Good old-fashioned media sensationalism.

Many murders were committed by a motley group of mainly Jewish gangsters based in Brownsville, but most had to do with battles over garment industry rackets in Manhattan and had nothing to do with La Cosa Nostra. Lepke Buchalter became a major target of the law, he lost his cool, and like many mob bosses of the 1980's and 1990's, began rubbing out anyone who he thought might testify against him.

The Cosa Nostra connection to some of these so-called MURDER INC. hoods  came from their close associations with Albert Anastasia, then-underboss of the crime family known today as the Gambino family. If Jewish hoods wanted to whack someone, they would check with Anastasia and make sure the murder wouldn't screw up any of his schemes. It was a smart political move because of  the power Anastasia wielded.

MURDER INC. was co-authored by Turkus, an assistant district attorney in Brooklyn who prosecuted many of the killers. There were no turncoat mobsters then and Turkus simply got some things wrong. He knew there was some kind of national syndicate but he overestimated its organizational structure. Turkus tried to paint a picture of a well-organized nationwide  company with clearly defined roles, goals, and job descriptions.

There is an excellent analysis of MURDER INC. in "East Side-West Side," a book by Alan Block, a Penn State University professor. A key player in Block's research was Abe Reles, a well known informer who helped Turkus win many convictions.

Reles was part of a gang battling for control of rackets in Brownsville that killed off their main rivals to consolidate their control. Reles was associated with Louis Capone, who was in the Anastasia orbit. When the gang wanted  to knock off someone interfering in their rackets, they would, as a courtesy, tell Anastasia. They did not want to inadvertently kill someone who was a friend or associate of a powerful Cosa Nostra leader. They were not hired killers. No one paid them to wipe out their rivals.
Reles, through Capone, sometimes did some favors for Anastasia as a way to curry favor, probably a handful of hits. But there was no payment; Reles was not a hired killer.
He, like all all racketeers, was out to make money through scams and schemes. Murder was simply a means of getting things done.

The affairs of the notorious Buchalter also played a big role in the legend of Murder Inc. He was a big man in the garment district and used muscle to get what he wanted. After prosecutor Thomas Dewey's main target, Dutch Schultz, was wiped out, Dewey turned his sights on Buchalter. As legal pressure mounted, Buchalter went into hiding and tried to cover his tracks by killing anyone he thought might become an informer. Many of these killings have been attributed to Murder Inc., but were really the unraveling of the Buchalter organization.

The prosecutors, the police, and the newspapers at that time, had no idea of the true nature and structure of La Cosa Nostra. The media lumped the disparate group of murders into one major conspiracy and labeled it Murder Inc. In the 1960's, when Joe Valachi broke his vow of omerta and opened a window on mob doings, he put the lie to Murder Inc. But Hollywood and the mob groupies refused to let go of the myth they helped create.

The American public loves a boogie man - be it the Communist threat exaggerated by Senator Joe McCarthy in the 1950's or Saddem Hussein in the 1990's. For a time, Murder Inc. was the great American boogie man. It's time to lay this lame myth to rest.

Jerry Capeci, Gang Land News, 01 Feb 1999 (https://www.ganglandnews.com/members/column112.htm#murderinc)

Re: 1963 Five Families Capos [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1001667
12/18/20 10:51 AM
12/18/20 10:51 AM
N
Njein Offline OP
Capo
Njein  Offline OP
N
Capo
1) At the time Genovese crime family was the richest with the Gambinos creeping up on them.
2) the most dangerous family to be in was the Colombos. The most dangerous family to go up against were the Genovese crime family. I'll you why, when Costello and Genovese were housed at the same facility, they compared notes and realized that Tony Bender was playing both of them. When Strollo disappeared in 1962, there was finally peace and stability with the family acting as one overall when 1963 came around.
3) Lucchese crime family
4) Colombo crime family. The Bonanno family did not start running into problems until 1964 and by 1965 they started to come unhinged.
5) This is a tough one to answer. They were all mysterious to the public at the time. I would have to say Bonanno and Lucchese were contenders at the time, but Gambino crime family was a lot more mysterious and unknown to the public and LE. Take a look at those charts and you can see people were placed in the wrong family, Valachi, other informants and bugs helped LE to piece the families more accurately, but still thay got members wrong here and there.

Lukes didn't go haywire until Amuso and Casso came along in 1987.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull