GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (The_Marble_Guy), 106 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,162
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"...Barzini all along..." #984495
01/12/20 12:26 PM
01/12/20 12:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
After the Commission meeting, Vito tells Tom: "Until this day, I didn't know it was Barzini all along." Perhaps he saw the same hints that we saw at the meeting: Barzini sits at the head of the table, leads the discussion, jumps to the concluding statement ("Then it is agreed: The traffic in drugs will be permitted, and Don Corleone will give it protection in the East"). BUT:

How could Vito not have known, way before the meeting, that it was Barzini all along? In explaining to Tom how he came to that revelation, he says, "Tattaglia is a pimp...alone he could never have outfought Santino." Well, Tattaglia was a pimp way before the war began--didn't Vito know that then? And, at the beginning of the Commission meeting, he says, "I want to thank Don Barzini for helping me to arrange this meeting." Since the beef was between Vito and Tattaglia, why would Vito reach out to Barzini, if not to acknowledge that he was the key belligerent? Maybe Vito was slippin'...?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "...Barzini all along..." [Re: Turnbull] #984496
01/12/20 02:07 PM
01/12/20 02:07 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by Turnbull

How could Vito not have known, way before the meeting, that it was Barzini all along? In explaining to Tom how he came to that revelation, he says, "Tattaglia is a pimp...alone he could never have outfought Santino." Well, Tattaglia was a pimp way before the war began--didn't Vito know that then? And, at the beginning of the Commission meeting, he says, "I want to thank Don Barzini for helping me to arrange this meeting." Since the beef was between Vito and Tattaglia, why would Vito reach out to Barzini, if not to acknowledge that he was the key belligerent? Maybe Vito was slippin'...?

I thought there might be some direction in the novel about this in the, but I can't find my copy. However, maybe Vito's words (as put into this mouth by Puzo and FFC) was a little inaccurate. Maybe they should have had him say that his suspicions regarding Barzini were not confirmed until today. I think that in the novel Vito states to Tom that Barzini never committed himself. So, maybe that's an indication of Vito lack of certainty until the meeting.

Last edited by olivant; 01/12/20 02:08 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "...Barzini all along..." [Re: olivant] #984525
01/13/20 02:10 AM
01/13/20 02:10 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
Oli, I looked in the novel just now. There was no "it was Barzini all along" anywhere. In his narrative describing the Dons at the Commission meeting, Puzo writes: "The closest ally to the Tattaglia Family was Don Emilio Barzini." A page later, describing Tattaglia, Puzo writes: "In a curious way his almost victorious war against the Corleone Family had not won him [Tatt] the respect it deserved. They [the Dons] knew his strength had come first from Sollozzo and then from the Barzini Family."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: "...Barzini all along..." [Re: Turnbull] #984537
01/13/20 10:11 AM
01/13/20 10:11 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA

I always took that to mean that Vito knew that someone was backing Tattaglia but, until the meeting, he did not know who it was. (BTW, I don't think Vito says "alone" when talking about Tatt outfighting Santino, TB, but the sentiment is certainly there.)

I agree that Barzini seemed to be the most likely suspect, but Vito probably wanted to make sure of it before he took any action. After all, his primary motivation at the meeting was to ensure Michael's safe return.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: "...Barzini all along..." [Re: Turnbull] #984643
01/14/20 11:45 PM
01/14/20 11:45 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Tom has the closest thing to the line in the book. After the peace conference, Vito tells Tom that Barzini never committed himself and doesn't get caught on the losing side, and Tom replies, "You mean he was behind Sollozzo and Tattaglia all the time?". Then Vito calls Tattaglia a pimp, and says it's enough to know Barzini had a hand in it.

The whole course of the war is murky in the book. Barzini's not committed, Barzini's supporting Tattaglia, all five families (seemingly including Barzini) are actively at war. Which is it, when? It's hard to make sense of the ending if all the families were actively fighting the Corleones, but it seems they were. I assume that the explanation is that Puzo was writing quickly.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: "...Barzini all along..." [Re: Turnbull] #984649
01/15/20 12:22 PM
01/15/20 12:22 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Pete, in the novel law enforcement starts cracking down on all of the families' activities as a result of the McClusky murder and they demanded that the Corleones give up the murderers. Eventually, Sonny realizes that the Corleones are overmatched.

What's interesting to me about that is that the war apparently was costing so many lives that the Families' counter-blows declined and then eventually ceased. Sonny was jubilant and said he would pour it on. That was the root of the deception by the families; make Sonny think he was winning, get him to be careless, and then strike. So, what if Sonny takes Tom's advice and ceases his attacks on the families and even sues for peace? I also question what the families were trying to accomplish by deceiving Sonny? Was it purely to end the killing by killing Sonny? Certainly, they could have accomplished that by suing for peace. For me, that's where the murkiness comes in.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: "...Barzini all along..." [Re: The Last Woltz] #984895
01/19/20 01:05 AM
01/19/20 01:05 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted by The Last Woltz

I always took that to mean that Vito knew that someone was backing Tattaglia but, until the meeting, he did not know who it was. (BTW, I don't think Vito says "alone" when talking about Tatt outfighting Santino, TB, but the sentiment is certainly there.)

I agree that Barzini seemed to be the most likely suspect, but Vito probably wanted to make sure of it before he took any action. After all, his primary motivation at the meeting was to ensure Michael's safe return.
My take, for what it is worth!

Vito certainly suspected there was more to Sollozzo’s proposal than what Sollozzo was telling Vito – why Vito sent Luca to find out what ‘they had under their finger nails”

However I believe Vito didn’t suspect someone was backing Tattaglia until his murder attempt that the hit on the top, most powerful, Numero Uno Mafia Don would not have been carried out on just the say-so of Tattaglia, a pimp

Hence that someone must be Barzini “the most likely suspect” as evident by Vito reaching out to Barzini "I want to thank Don Barzini for helping me to arrange this meeting."

The meeting confirmed Barzini was that someone

Sure thing Woltz, Vito’s “primary motivation at the meeting was to ensure Michael's safe return” so that Vito could / would get Michael to re-establish the Corleones' glory, standing, reputation etc. to do all the dirty work, thus leaving a murderous legacy for “I never wanted this for you” son Thanks! Pop

Re: "...Barzini all along..." [Re: Lana] #985304
01/24/20 11:23 PM
01/24/20 11:23 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
No doubt Vito was slippin'

Re: "...Barzini all along..." [Re: Turnbull] #985796
02/02/20 11:08 AM
02/02/20 11:08 AM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
I always assumed that the "I want to thank Don Barzini.." line was Vito subtly indicating that he knew Barzini was involved because Barzini was quick to help arrange a meeting once the Corleones had "lost". But it never did quite make sense that he wouldn't have naturally assumed Barzini from the start given that the Tattaglias were considered a weak family (they were the weakest IIRC) so would have been stupid to start an all-out war with the Corleones unless they had some allies to actually give them aid (as opposed to just siding with them to avoid a war the way Cuneo and Stracci did in the novel).

I get the meeting confirming that it was Barzini, but Barzini should have been the top suspect from the onset of the war. Sollozzo wouldn't have struck without someone backing him, which was Tattaglia as far as manpower, but with how overall weak the Tattaglia family was it should have been obvious they needed someone strong to back THEM up, and the only person capable and ambitious enough to do that was Barzini.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull