GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Jimmy_Two_Times, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,356
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,200
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? #982717
12/14/19 06:21 AM
12/14/19 06:21 AM
J
JackieAprile Offline OP
Capo
JackieAprile  Offline OP
J
Capo
If so, who was the Captain of the crew? Was it actually Joey or was it his brother Larry? Or were the bunch of them just Soldiers?

Also, what was Joey's ultimate aim? Was he trying to establish himself as a Boss, take over the Profaci Family, or establish a sixth family run by him or what?

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? [Re: JackieAprile] #982723
12/14/19 09:18 AM
12/14/19 09:18 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Well remember that soldiers or even associates can have their own crews.
Larry Gallo and Joey Gallo were both made members of what was then the Profaci Family along with supporters such as Carmine Persico and John "Mooney" Cutrone. Larry was considered to be the crew leader. But at the time of the troubles, these four men (and who ever else was "made" ) were officially soldiers, not captains. I've read that they officially reported up to Frankie Abbartemarco, but also had understandings and up until then good relations with captains Johnny Oddo and Harry Fontana.

The Gallo crew was very large and was allegedly distinctive for the time for having a large number of non-Italian associates, who of course would not have eligible for formal induction.
I think the initial goal of the Gallos was just to get more money and/or keep more of what they earned instead of having to pass it up in tribute. Joey may have had more revolutionary ideas but ultimately it was Larry who ran things.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? [Re: Lilo] #982726
12/14/19 09:41 AM
12/14/19 09:41 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lilo
Well remember that soldiers or even associates can have their own crews.
Larry Gallo and Joey Gallo were both made members of what was then the Profaci Family along with supporters such as Carmine Persico and John "Mooney" Cutrone. Larry was considered to be the crew leader. But at the time of the troubles, these four men (and who ever else was "made" ) were officially soldiers, not captains. I've read that they officially reported up to Frankie Abbartemarco, but also had understandings and up until then good relations with captains Johnny Oddo and Harry Fontana.

The Gallo crew was very large and was allegedly distinctive for the time for having a large number of non-Italian associates, who of course would not have eligible for formal induction.
I think the initial goal of the Gallos was just to get more money and/or keep more of what they earned instead of having to pass it up in tribute. Joey may have had more revolutionary ideas but ultimately it was Larry who ran things.

. You hit it on the head. You can still have a crew without it being an official crew of a mob family with a captain running it. Obviously one of the most famous crews was the a Demeo Crew. Roy was the leader but never rode past the rank of soldier. The rest were just associates BUT they were bigtime money earners and all were bigtime killers

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? [Re: JackieAprile] #982731
12/14/19 11:07 AM
12/14/19 11:07 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Profaci ordered gallo brothers to kill Abbatemarco in 1959 and the boss should give to Joey the profitable loansharking racket of Abbatemarco but the boss didnt and Gallo start the war.
Apart him,larry and mariani that was killed in 1963 nobody was made. Cutrone wasnt made in fact was killed because after the other gallo crew italian members was made he decided to stay in his own and was killed in 1978.

Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? [Re: JackieAprile] #982746
12/14/19 02:16 PM
12/14/19 02:16 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Per the DiMatteo book and the other sources I've seen, Cutrone was indeed made. DiMatteo says of Cutrone that:

"..I didn't really know much about him, just that he was made by Profaci in the early 1950s, long before Larry or Joey got their buttons. I didn't like him. Nobody liked him. My father wanted to kill him. It was all I heard about for what seemed like years, how much he wanted to kill that ******** Mooney. ...Mooney , in the meantime, continued to breathe and annoy everyone. He was made, and therefore whackproof.

Mooney was a small man with a sour puss and a nasty disposition. For some reason Larry liked him. That, and how the guy got made in the first place, are two unsolved mysteries. An old time Profaci guy might know, but there aren't many of them left. The instant that Mooney's magic shield began to lower, the contract went out on him, and seven guys raised their hands to volunteer for the job.
.."

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? [Re: JackieAprile] #982750
12/14/19 04:56 PM
12/14/19 04:56 PM
Zavattoni Offline
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline
Underboss
How big was Frank Abbatemarco's crew?

Didn't he have a crew seperate from the Gallo gang?

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Were the Gallo gang a proper "crew"? [Re: JackieAprile] #982813
12/15/19 06:48 AM
12/15/19 06:48 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Abbatemarco crew was big. By the time of his death, he had 8 to 9 soldiers, over 100 associates, had a huge policy game going, labor racketeering, carpenter union, burglary, hijacking, loan sharking, gambling, counterfeit (late 1940s to early 1950s), narcotics on a small scale, frauds, and then there are joint family operations. Gallo crew was his main crew as many of his soldiers were getting up there in age or dying out and needed new blood. Tony Abbatemarco hanged out with the Gallo brothers and so it was easier to remain close to that crew. He did not just have the Gallo brothers crew.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull