GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 114 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,703
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,706
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
are there examples of non-pure italians being made #978986
10/03/19 08:12 PM
10/03/19 08:12 PM
F
FireHawk Offline OP
Made Member
FireHawk  Offline OP
F
Made Member
in certain American families throughout the decades

was Meyer Lansky made? He was Jewish, but he seemed to have a high position in the Genovese family with being an associate of Luciano?

are there rare exceptions of this happening?

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: FireHawk] #978992
10/04/19 03:07 AM
10/04/19 03:07 AM
I
Immortale Offline
Wiseguy
Immortale  Offline
I
Wiseguy
No non-Italians have been made, ever. BUT, the saying goes, only people who are a 100% Italian can be made, which I believe hasnt held up since the 70s. Many half Italians and these days people who are 1/16th Italian have been and get made, why? Noone is 100% Italian in America anymore. It mostly goes by heritage nowadays.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Immortale] #978995
10/04/19 03:53 AM
10/04/19 03:53 AM
N
Neo Offline
Underboss
Neo  Offline
N
Underboss
Originally Posted by Immortale
No non-Italians have been made, ever.

Tons of non-Italians have got made. Look at the OutFit. Asians, Russians, Jews and God knows who else all getting made.

The Rizzuto family made that French guy, what's his name...

Last edited by Neo; 10/04/19 03:54 AM.
Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Neo] #978998
10/04/19 04:19 AM
10/04/19 04:19 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted by Neo

Tons of non-Italians have got made. Look at the OutFit. Asians, Russians, Jews and God knows who else all getting made.

tons? i never heard of any in united states or italy, the only one are maybe desjardin and a couple other in canada

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: FireHawk] #978999
10/04/19 04:49 AM
10/04/19 04:49 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Salemme is half irish and Charles Porter was not even italian from the father side but was made.
Today there not many made men that are full blooded italian.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Immortale] #979000
10/04/19 05:23 AM
10/04/19 05:23 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
No non-Italians have been made, ever. BUT, the saying goes, only people who are a 100% Italian can be made, which I believe hasnt held up since the 70s. Many half Italians and these days people who are 1/16th Italian have been and get made, why? No one is 100% Italian in America anymore. It mostly goes by heritage nowadays.

That is such an absolutely false and ridiculous claim. Beyond the Mafia-related discussion, I’m shocked that someone living in America could come up with it. Demographically speaking there are obviously tons (and I mean tons) of full blooded Italian-Americans. Regardless of their generation. Especially in large Italian enclaves along the Atlantic seaboard, Upstate/Western NY and the Rustbelt.

No excuses for not knowing this, even if you’re an hermit living out in the sticks in AK. If you’ve got “the internet” to access to this forum you sure can check Census sites, sociology and cultural anthropology publications and articles focusing on Italian-American Studies.

Contemporary Italian culture in the USA and Canada goes well beyond the Mafia.

Back on topic, Mafia-wise, even though there have been examples of non-100% Italians getting made they have always been an exception to the rule. Besides, recently, at least in NYC, they’ve gone back to the 100% rule, allegedly.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Neo] #979002
10/04/19 05:43 AM
10/04/19 05:43 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Neo

I may be getting too old for today’s web standards so I don’t know if you’re serious or just poking fun.

Originally Posted by Neo

Those were unconfirmed rumors. Joe Bravo was bragging about getting his button along with Reynald Desjardins. Most knowledgeable posters/reporters didn’t buy it, not even for a second. They were “high-ranking” associates like in the Outfit.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: LuanKuci] #979004
10/04/19 06:07 AM
10/04/19 06:07 AM
N
Neo Offline
Underboss
Neo  Offline
N
Underboss
Originally Posted by LuanKuci
Originally Posted by Neo

I may be getting too old for today’s web standards so I don’t know if you’re serious or just poking fun.

Originally Posted by Neo

Those were unconfirmed rumors. Joe Bravo was bragging about getting his button along with Reynald Desjardins. Most knowledgeable posters/reporters didn’t buy it, not even for a second. They were “high-ranking” associates like in the Outfit.

Fucking TONS

I had a quick look on the net for some recent examples of non-Italian made guys but my five minute search turned up nothing. It's getting late but I'll try again tomorrow

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: LuanKuci] #979006
10/04/19 06:34 AM
I
Immortale Offline
Wiseguy
Immortale  Offline
I
Wiseguy
No non-Italians have been made, ever. BUT, the saying goes, only people who are a 100% Italian can be made, which I believe hasnt held up since the 70s. Many half Italians and these days people who are 1/16th Italian have been and get made, why? No one is 100% Italian in America anymore. It mostly goes by heritage nowadays.

That is such an absolutely false and ridiculous claim. Beyond the Mafia-related discussion, I’m shocked that someone living in America could come up with it. Demographically speaking there are obviously tons (and I mean tons) of full blooded Italian-Americans. Regardless of their generation. Especially in large Italian enclaves along the Atlantic seaboard, Upstate/Western NY and the Rustbelt.

No excuses for not knowing this, even if you’re an hermit living out in the sticks in AK. If you’ve got “the internet” to access to this forum you sure can check Census sites, sociology and cultural anthropology publications and articles focusing on Italian-American Studies.

Back on topic, Mafia-wise, even though there have been examples of non-100% Italians getting made they have always been an exception to the rule. Besides, recently, at least in NYC, they’ve gone back to the 100% rule, allegedly.

If you're not born in Italy you're not 100% Italian. Facts. I'm from Europe. Not the US.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Neo] #979007
I
Immortale Offline
Wiseguy
Immortale  Offline
I
Wiseguy
Originally Posted by Neo

Ouimette or something. Not made. Not inducted trough ceremony. There's a difference between being made and being associated.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Immortale] #979009
10/04/19 07:50 AM
10/04/19 07:50 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
you're not born in Italy you're not 100% Italian. Facts.

smile

This statement is wrong for so many reasons (sociological, political, cultural, etc...), and it has been debunked countless times in the academia, that it would be a waste of a thread to tackle them all.

I’m from Europe. Not the US

The fact that you’re from “Europe” (as if that’s a definitive description of a highly diverse continent made of many different nations, each with its distinct and unique culture, history and ethnicity) confirms that you should definitely stay on the sidelines when discussing America’s own cultural realities and possibly even the consequences of its immigration history.

If you’ll do that with an open mind you may learn something new.

But not now, I come here for organized crime news and information, not to do some extra curricular teaching work.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Neo] #979010
10/04/19 07:55 AM
10/04/19 07:55 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Neo
Fucking TONS

smile smile smile

Tons of Asian made members in Chicago, uh? No wonder they have a “Chinatown Crew”.

This forum never ceases to entertain...

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: LuanKuci] #979014
10/04/19 09:14 AM
10/04/19 09:14 AM
I
Immortale Offline
Wiseguy
Immortale  Offline
I
Wiseguy
you're not born in Italy you're not 100% Italian. Facts.

smile

This statement is wrong for so many reasons (sociological, political, cultural, etc...), and it has been debunked countless times in the academia, that it would be a waste of a thread to tackle them all.

I’m from Europe. Not the US

The fact that you’re from “Europe” (as if that’s a definitive description of a highly diverse continent made of many different nations, each with its distinct and unique culture, history and ethnicity) confirms that you should definitely stay on the sidelines when discussing America’s own cultural realities and possibly even the consequences of its immigration history.

If you’ll do that with an open mind you may learn something new.

But not now, I come here for organized crime news and information, not to do some extra curricular teaching work.

Let's be honest now. Relating it to the thread. Because it IS related. These Americans with Italian roots, whose great grandparents were born in Italy are NOT 100% Italian, that's not how it works. Thus it stands that it no longer holds up that made men are no longer required to be 100% italian. Right?

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Immortale] #979015
10/04/19 09:40 AM
10/04/19 09:40 AM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Neo

Ouimette or something. Not made. Not inducted trough ceremony. There's a difference between being made and being associated.

gerard outimette was an associate of the patriarca family in RI

neo is talking about reynald desjardins, who i don't think was made, he was just very close to vito like joe bravo was. joe bravo said they were made, then ended up dead.

idk what neo is talking about when it comes to asian members or any of that though. never heard of that.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Immortale] #979017
10/04/19 10:33 AM
10/04/19 10:33 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
I’m honest, and so are you when you share your take on this topic.

That said, we will never agree because we disagree on the very basic idea of what “100% Italian” stands for. I have gathered a certain experience (personal, professional, academic) that makes it impossible to agree with you on this matter.

Luckily this thread doesn’t require our agreement to continue.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Neo] #979025
10/04/19 02:21 PM
10/04/19 02:21 PM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
Originally Posted by Neo

Raynald was never made.....

Last edited by The_Marble_Guy; 10/04/19 02:24 PM.

" If you're going to be bad, be good at it "

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Immortale] #979026
10/04/19 02:24 PM
10/04/19 02:24 PM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
Originally Posted by Neo

No Ouimette had his own crew under the Patriarca's of non made Irish, French, and Italian guys. raynald desjardins was with the rizzutos and not made.

" If you're going to be bad, be good at it "

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: furio_from_naples] #979028
10/04/19 02:36 PM
10/04/19 02:36 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
Salemme is half irish and Charles Porter was not even italian from the father side but was made.
Today there not many made men that are full blooded italian.

yes, there are people made who are not italian on mother side, but i never heard of somebody non-italian made, porter was italian, although very few there are italian surnames which do not end with a vowel

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: FireHawk] #979030
10/04/19 03:43 PM
10/04/19 03:43 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
Oh boy, I'm taking a peak after it's been a while and what do I read?

The Chicago Outfit currently making everybody from Irish Travellers to Pakistanis...

The Outfit never made a non-Italian. They always had lots of "associates" that were non-Italian, but I'm willing to bet there hasn't been a single non-Italian made guy in the Outfit ever.

As for New York. Of course one could say that Italian-Americans and Italians from the European motherland are worlds apart culture-wise, but there's still plenty of Italian-Americans that are full-blooded Italian ancestry-wise over in NY and NJ. Anybody who thinks that the NY mafia doesn't have an "Italian" recruitment pool anymore is being ridiculous. Sure you don't have endless bands of young Italian-American hoodlums running around in Bensonhurst anymore that are ripe to be picked off the street by some experienced wiseguy, but there's more than enough of them still willing to step into that life to make sure that the Mob doesn't have to start making Russians, Albanians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans or African Americans to stay viable. It will take at least a couple of generations before that recruitment pool will be completely diminished.

Made guys in the NY Mob are still for close to 100% full-blooded Italian ancestry-wise. There have been exceptions, but those always were few and far between.

And I as well am going to echo the statement made by others: Desjardins was never made. 'Joe Bravo' Fernandez was a Spanish cokehead who probably had his nose stuck in too much of the white powder when he allegedly made those statements, but neither of them were made guys.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: TheKillingJoke] #979062
10/05/19 05:47 AM
10/05/19 05:47 AM
N
Neo Offline
Underboss
Neo  Offline
N
Underboss
Originally Posted by TheKillingJoke

Made guys in the NY Mob are still for close to 100% full-blooded Italian ancestry-wise.

Sicilians aren't even 100% Italian because they have mixed genes. This is due to the fact that a few centuries back the Moors conquered Sicily and interbreed with Sicilian women and in doing so, forever changed the Sicilian blood line for ever.

Sicilians are part Africans. So those Sicilian made guys in NY aren't 100% full-blooded Italians.

Last edited by Neo; 10/05/19 05:49 AM.
Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: FireHawk] #979063
10/05/19 06:26 AM
10/05/19 06:26 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
^ holy hell not this all over again.

Are people still believing this in 2019? It has been debunked countless times.

I guess that pop-culture/urban legends/Quentin Tarantino are valued more highly than actual history books.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: LuanKuci] #979064
10/05/19 06:30 AM
10/05/19 06:30 AM
R
Ravens410 Offline
Made Member
Ravens410  Offline
R
Made Member

As an Italian living in the Atlantic seaboard, this great post by LuanKuci should just end this thread.

Last edited by Ravens410; 10/05/19 06:31 AM.
Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Neo] #979065
10/05/19 06:31 AM
10/05/19 06:31 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Neo

Made guys in the NY Mob are still for close to 100% full-blooded Italian ancestry-wise.

Sicilians aren't even 100% Italian because they have mixed genes. This is due to the fact that a few centuries back the Moors conquered Sicily and interbreed with Sicilian women and in doing so, forever changed the Sicilian blood line for ever.

Sicilians are part Africans. So those Sicilian made guys in NY aren't 100% full-blooded Italians.

Ok, Dennis Hopper.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: TheKillingJoke] #979066
10/05/19 06:49 AM
10/05/19 06:49 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
On a second thought I shouldn’t be surprised given that the same poster implied that the Chicago Outfit made people of Asian, Russian, Jewish etc... descent.

Ok, Dennis Hopper.

lol

Funniest thing is that, in that scene, it’s clear that not even Hopper’s character believes it, he’s just saying that to mock Walken’s character, passively showing his ignorance about his own heritage and, most importantly, get a quick, painless death rather than being tortured.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: LuanKuci] #979067
10/05/19 07:45 AM
10/05/19 07:45 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
On a second thought I shouldn’t be surprised given that the same poster implied that the Chicago Outfit made people of Asian, Russian, Jewish etc... descent.

Ok, Dennis Hopper.

lol

Funniest thing is that, in that scene, it’s clear that not even Hopper’s character believes it, he’s just saying that to mock Walken’s character, passively showing his ignorance about his own heritage and, most importantly, get a quick, painless death rather than being tortured.

lol

To be honest, it's true that a lot of Italians probably aren't of 100% Italic stock (meaning that they descended from the ancient Italic tribes). For instance, I got a few friends that are of Calabrian ancestry that did an ancestral test just for shits and giggles and found out that for a large part they could trace their lineage back to Greece. It's only natural that people that passed through a region left their genetic marker. Sicily for instance is a very varied place. I know a blonde Sicilian and a ginger-haired one, just like I know a Sicilian who could pass for a Lebanese. The question is though, would these people claim to be anything other than "Italian"? Of course not.
(ignoring the fact that a Sicilian will always claim to be Sicilian first and foremost lol)

When push comes to shove, almost everybody in Europe is mixed somewhere down the line. When I did an ancestral test, I could trace my lineage back to Germany, Spain, Italy, France and Scandinavia.

Last edited by TheKillingJoke; 10/05/19 09:52 AM.
Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: FireHawk] #979076
10/05/19 10:17 AM
10/05/19 10:17 AM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Even Toto Riina is of Greek origin.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: Hollander] #979087
10/05/19 03:34 PM
10/05/19 03:34 PM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Hollander
Even Toto Riina is of Greek origin.

He was of Arbëreshë ancestry, not Greek. They were Albanians who fled the balkans due to Ottoman colonialism between the 1300’s and the mid-1700’s. They were allowed to seek refugee in Southern Italy by the Church.

Greeks did flee as well, but they mostly settled in Calabria and Basilicata, only few communities were established in Sicily.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: FireHawk] #979105
10/05/19 08:50 PM
10/05/19 08:50 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

I read Greek immigrants, however they all belonged to the Roman Empire.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: FireHawk] #979112
10/06/19 01:36 AM
10/06/19 01:36 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
^ so that’s an even earlier generation than the one I referred to. Still, I argue that his last name is more Arbëresh than Greek. Although both were Romanized throughout the centuries.

Re: are there examples of non-pure italians being made [Re: FireHawk] #979113
10/06/19 02:51 AM
10/06/19 02:51 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
very hard to trace riina ancestry, 'riina' in sicilian dialect mean 'queen', anyway corleone town is not arberesh or greek, so i doubt he's of that origin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull