GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, thekidfromthesouth), 87 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,399
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,292
Posts1,058,085
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What if Carlo complains to Vito? #978231
09/16/19 07:14 AM
09/16/19 07:14 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Both Connie and Vito's wife have complained to Vito about Carlo's abuse of Connie and urged some sort of intervention. Vito has refused to do this, mostly because he believes in staying out of marital disputes as well as thinking every man is a king in his own home. Even knowing that his only daughter is getting the stuffing beaten out of her on a regular basis Vito refuses to use the considerable resources at his disposal to "convince" Carlo to stop. So staying out of domestic disputes is apparently a pretty important goal for Vito.

Vito ordered Sonny not to intervene. Vito was apparently pretty po'd that Sonny did intervene.

"But the Tattaglia Family had not streamlined itself for the war, [the news about Sonny’s appearance and assault of Carlo]still had to go all the way through the insulation layers before [it] finally got to the caporegime who contacted the Tattaglia chief. By that time Sonny Corleone was safely back in the mall, in his father’s house, in Long Beach , about to face his father’s wrath.”

Angry about his public humiliation, Carlo either approaches or is approached by the Barzinis--goodbye Sonny.

But what if Carlo had gone to the mall to complain in person to Vito? How would Vito have handled it? Was there a way Vito could have finessed this situation that would have (1) Given Carlo some sense of justice (2) Stopped the beatings (3) Prevented Sonny from reacting violently again (4) Allowed Vito to maintain his non-interference policy.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: What if Carlo complains to Vito? [Re: Lilo] #978247
09/16/19 04:54 PM
09/16/19 04:54 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
My guess is that he'd tell Carlo about what he told Connie: that Carlo should learn to act in a way that didn't infuriate Sonny. Vito could rebuke Sonny after the fact, but he couldn't watch Sonny 24 hours a day.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: What if Carlo complains to Vito? [Re: mustachepete] #978260
09/16/19 07:34 PM
09/16/19 07:34 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Yup. That makes sense.
Perhaps Vito would “listen rudely” to Carlo and then say something like “I don’t interfere in other men’s private affairs. But if you beat my daughter I can’t help you with Santino. We won’t discuss this again. Now please leave. It’s late and I want to see my grandchildren before I go to bed.”

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: What if Carlo complains to Vito? [Re: Lilo] #978523
09/22/19 04:14 PM
09/22/19 04:14 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, Vito's attitude was not to interfere. But, if Carlo had complained to him about Sonny, he probably would have said, "What goes on between you and your wife is none of my business. Now you've made it my business by complaining to me." He would have lectured him about being a real man, along the lines he lectured Johnny Fontaine, except more forcefully. I think he would have been much harsher with Sonny--not only for interfering between a man and his wife, but also by exposing his temper--his main weakness--in public, which Vito would have known would lead to a bad end.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What if Carlo complains to Vito? [Re: Turnbull] #978616
09/24/19 09:37 PM
09/24/19 09:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Yes, Vito's attitude was not to interfere. But, if Carlo had complained to him about Sonny, he probably would have said, "What goes on between you and your wife is none of my business. Now you've made it my business by complaining to me." He would have lectured him about being a real man, along the lines he lectured Johnny Fontaine, except more forcefully. I think he would have been much harsher with Sonny--not only for interfering between a man and his wife, but also by exposing his temper--his main weakness--in public, which Vito would have known would lead to a bad end.

You're probably right TB. However, Vito's indifference to Connie's suffering is one of the most disturbing parts of the novel. Equally disturbing was Vito's apparent admission that he would have beaten his wife if she had given him reason to.

In a way, it's not surprising. Afterall, he was willing to drag his sons into his murderous way of life.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull