GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Captbony1999, 1 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,354
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,182
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: furio_from_naples] #980761
11/10/19 08:03 PM
11/10/19 08:03 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
So Sheeran doesnt kill:
Joe Gallo
Jimmy Hoffa
Paul Castellano (as write in Brandt book)
There are proofs that he really killed or was involved in a killing?
Or he said to Brandt and Hoffa's parents what they wanted to to hear?

He never claimed Castellano !
He was alleged to have conspired to murder Francis J. Marino, also known as Big Bobby, a 300‐pound Philadelphia labor organizer who died in 1976 after being bludgeoned and shot five times.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #980767
11/10/19 08:07 PM
11/10/19 08:07 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Tapes Provide Rare Glimpse of Union‐Crime Dealings
By Alan Richman
Oct. 28, 1979

October 28, 1979, Page 26Buy Reprints
New York Times subscribers* enjoy full access to TimesMachine—view over 150 years of New York Times journalism, as it originally appeared.
SUBSCRIBE
*Does not include Crossword-only or Cooking-only subscribers.
About the Archive
This is a digitized version of an article from The Times’s print archive, before the start of online publication in 1996. To preserve these articles as they originally appeared, The Times does not alter, edit or update them.
Occasionally the digitization process introduces transcription errors or other problems. Please send reports of such problems to archive_feedback@nytimes.com.
PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 27 — Friends of Francis J. Sheeran, president of Local 326 of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters in Wilmington, Del., paid $100 apiece to attend his 59th birthday party at a motel restaurant Thursday night. The aonations were intended to help offset the cost of prime steaks, a Las Vegas band and Mr. Sheeran's defense on charges of murder, attempted murder, arson and embezzlement.

The partygoers, unidentified despite intense interest on the part of the local news media, arrived in dozens of luxury cars bearing license plates from New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Maryland.

The day before the affair, which Mr. Sheeran called a “fund‐raising party,” he held a news conference at the same motel, the Treadway Roosevelt Inn in northeast Philadelphia. He asserted that the source of his legal difficulties was “harassing and hassling” by the Federal Government and newspapers and television over the last 15 years.

“In their opinion, if you are a union official, you are a bad person,” he said.

Named in a Sept. 24 indictment as a codefendant with Mr. Sheeran on Federal racketeering charges is Louis J. Bottone, former president of teamsters Local 107 in Philadelphia. Both men are free on bail, pending trial early next year.

Named as co‐conspirators are Russell Bufalino, a former teamsters business agent and reputed head of organized crime in Pennsylvania's coal region; Angelo Bruno, reputed head of organized crime in the Philadelphia area, and 15 other men, some of them present or former union officials.

Mr. Sheeran is alleged to have conspired to murder Francis J. Marino, also known as Big Bobby, a 300‐pound Philadelphia labor organizer who died in 1976 after being bludgeoned and shot five times, and Frederick John Gawronski, shot to death the same year in a tavern in New Castle, Del. He is also charged with four attempted murders, arson in the bombing of a hotel in Delaware, arson in the burning of a teamsters office here, and the embezzlement of $3,780 from his own local to pay for beatings and violent acts.

Mr. Sheeran denied all the charges. “1 have been a working man for over 45 years,” he said at his press conference.

Charge in 1967 Killing Dropped

He said he had not seen the late Mr. Marino since 1967. (In the same year, Mr. Sheeran was charged for murder in the death of Robert DeGeorge, who was killed in a shootout in front of Local 107 headquarters. The case was dismissed in 1972 on the ground that Mr. Sheeran had been denied a speedy trial.) He said of the late Mr. Gawronski, “I met him for two minutes.”

Of the key witness for the prosecution, Charles Allen, who has confessed to murdering for hire, Mr. Sheeran said, “Sure I know him. I don't know what he does.”

Mr. Allen made a secret deal with prosecutors after being arrested in July 1978 on a charge of manufacturing amphetamines. In exchange for a written agreement from the Federal Government that he would not have to serve more than seven years in prison, Mr. Allen confessed to a variety of crimes, including a murder committed for Mickey Cohen about 30 years ago, a conspiracy with James R. Hoffa to kill his successor as teamsters president, Frank E. Fitzsimmons, and the actual murder of Mr. Marino.

That September, investigators from the Philadelphia Organized Crime and Racketeering Strike Force supplied Mr. Allen with a recording device. He returned from as many as 15 meetings with Mr. Sheeran and Mr. Bottone with taped conversations that make up the bulk of the evidence against them.

Tapes Provide Vivid Look

Peter F. Vaira, the United States attorney for the eastern district of Pennsylvania, said that the tape recordings provided “one of the most vivid, most explicit” looks into a relationship between organized crime and labor unions.

The indictment charges that in about December 1975, Mr. Sheeran, Mr. Buttone and Mr. Allen agreed to kill Mr. Marino, a teamster organizer and alleged loan shark, and William Mario Brown, a former secretary‐treasurer of teamster Local 500 in Philadelphia.

According to documents filed in court by the prosecution, this was the scenario:

Mr. Allen went to Frank Sindone, reputed to be a lieutenant in the Angelo Bruno crime family and known to be owner of Frank's Cabana Steaks, a sandwich shop in South Philadelphia, for permission to carry out the murders. The elimination of Mr. Brown was found acceptable, but not the killing of Mr. Marino. Nevertheless Mr. Allen was told by Mr. Sheeran that Mr. Bufalino had approved the killings and that he should proceed.

Mr. Allen failed in several efforts to get a clear shot at Mr. Brown. He did succeed in killing Mr. Marino. Mr. Allen was very nearly marked for death by Mr. Bruno because he had not approved the Marino murder. Only when Mr. Bufalino interceded and Mr. Allen apologized did Mr. Bruno spare his life.

Further Indictments Possible

The United States attorney, Mr. Vaira, said that since a wide range of conversations were recorded by Mr. Allen, further indictments could result. But he said that he did not anticipate “any great wave” of legal activity against organized crime emanating from the Allen tapes.

In his agreement with the Federal Government, Mr. Allen promised to cooperate with investigations of a number of activities of which he had first‐hand knowledge, including the suspected murder of Mr. Hoffa. Although Mr. Sheeran was once a close associate of Mr. Hoffa and later became a suspect in his disappearance, Mr. Vaira said the information supplied by the Allen tapes “fills in one more gap, doesn't break the case.”

At his press conference last week, Mr. Sheeran denied any involvement.

“Anything I got I owe him,” he said. “If it wasn't for Hoffa, I wouldn't be where I am today.”

Associated Press

Francis J. Sheeran, president of Local 326 of the teamsters’ union, In a Phila- delphia motel lounge Wednesday after charging news media harassment.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #980768
11/10/19 09:21 PM
11/10/19 09:21 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Frank Sheeran was in Detroit, but do to the timetable. It is impossible for him to be at two place at once during the time Hoffa was killed. The house that he said Hoffa was killed in might have actually been for someone else Sheeran killed. The Gallo hit, he was not there. A few witness and informant said it was someone else. No doubt Sheeran killed men, but by the time 1970 rolled around he was a known drunk, getting into trouble with Bruno, Tony Pro, Rosario Gambino, among other members, his protector had always been Bufalino.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #980774
11/11/19 02:54 AM
11/11/19 02:54 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Originally Posted by Hollander
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
So Sheeran doesnt kill:
Joe Gallo
Jimmy Hoffa
Paul Castellano (as write in Brandt book)
There are proofs that he really killed or was involved in a killing?
Or he said to Brandt and Hoffa's parents what they wanted to to hear?

He never claimed Castellano !
He was alleged to have conspired to murder Francis J. Marino, also known as Big Bobby, a 300‐pound Philadelphia labor organizer who died in 1976 after being bludgeoned and shot five times.

Ah sorry I confused this part with the Kuklinski book.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #988718
04/04/20 06:21 AM
04/04/20 06:21 AM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

He was a thug.
And a drunk.
He liked to hang around wiseguys.
He may have “done some work,” although the consensus is that he paid someone else to pull the trigger.

What he didn’t do, according to most reliable sources, is put two bullets in the back of Jimmy Hoffa’s head.

The Irishman, Martin Scorsese’s latest Mafia epic, may alter the public perception but not the reality of who Frank Sheeran was and the role he played in the underworld.

“He was a tough guy and a big drinker,” said former Philadelphia mobster Nicholas “Nicky Crow” Caramandi. “He used to come down to this restaurant on Front Street every Monday night. We’d eat spaghetti and clams.”

Read more: https://jerseymanmagazine.com/mob-scene-scorceses-real-life-mobsters/

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #988719
04/04/20 06:35 AM
04/04/20 06:35 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
It’s a movie ...

Most know that it was for entertainment only.

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #988724
04/04/20 09:07 AM
04/04/20 09:07 AM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
And..not a good move either. Boring and completely off the rails from reality for the most part. In my opinion.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: majicrat] #988725
04/04/20 10:01 AM
04/04/20 10:01 AM
Word Wide
MolochioInduced Offline
Underboss
MolochioInduced  Offline
Underboss
Word Wide
Was Hoffa as crazy as Pacino portrayed him, it was like Tony Montana in a white guy body.

It’s as if Hoffa wanted to whack everyone, close to reality or no??

Last edited by MolochioInduced; 04/04/20 10:03 AM.

In Sicily, women are more dangerous than the shotgun.
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #988729
04/04/20 11:55 AM
04/04/20 11:55 AM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Both Al and Jack did a great job, both had studied on Hoffa for a long time.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #988749
04/04/20 07:55 PM
04/04/20 07:55 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
Nicholson's Hoffa was a great movie. It's an alternate history, too. DeVito's "Bobby Ciaro" is pretty much based on Chucky O' Brien and several other Hoffa lackeys. Armand Assante is sort of a composite of Tony Pro and Tony Jack. This doesn't bother me because I don't go to movies for history. Movies are entertainment. Capturing the personalities is more important to a movie than getting facts straight.

Hoffa 1992. Written by David Mamet. Produced by Gambino soldier Joe Isgro. Reportedly a Nicholson pal.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #988759
04/05/20 01:35 AM
04/05/20 01:35 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
I liKed Jack better. I liked the Irishman, but Hoffa kicked ass. The Irishman seemed too much like a fantasy. Hoffa didn't get too carried away.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #988766
04/05/20 04:44 AM
04/05/20 04:44 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Agree. Nicholson became Hoffa. Pacino played Hoffa.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull