GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 96 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,190
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Article: The Lies of The Irishman #976570
08/07/19 08:54 AM
08/07/19 08:54 AM
Rochester/Pittsburgh
FrankValenti Offline OP
The Sphinx
FrankValenti  Offline OP
The Sphinx
Made Member
Rochester/Pittsburgh
A new hit piece was published this morning that is worth a read. The writer seems pretty hell bent on disproving the entire plot of the new movie The Irishman in this article. He examines the possibility, or in his words, certainty, that Frank Sheeran lied about nearly all of his claims in "I Heard You Paint Houses." It's not so much of an attack on Scorsese and De Niro as it is against Charles Brandt and the late Sheeran.

Whether or not you agree – I don't – this one is worth checking out.

The Lies of The Irishman

Last edited by FrankValenti; 08/07/19 08:55 AM.
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976576
08/07/19 10:36 AM
08/07/19 10:36 AM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
So my question is this, are we looking for this movie to be another great mob flick, especially after the Gotti debacle, or do we want it to be historically accurate? These movies are always filled with fiction mixed with some factual events or events based on a similar situation.

" If you're going to be bad, be good at it "

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976578
08/07/19 11:29 AM
08/07/19 11:29 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Promise you i didnt write. Im looking forward to the movie it will be free or the wife pays her netflix account and thats about all the bills she pays. I did not write a hit piece... but the book is stiill good but a work of fiction

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: pmac] #976623
08/08/19 06:39 AM
08/08/19 06:39 AM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline
Underboss
North Jersey
Originally Posted by pmac
or the wife pays her netflix account and thats about all the bills she pays

Ouch!, below the belt!.......There must be something she gets credit for that doesn’t necessarily involve a money transaction? Right?

Housewife IS, or at least use to be a good example of such.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976624
08/08/19 06:53 AM
08/08/19 06:53 AM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline
Underboss
North Jersey
I certainly THINK, that most of Frank Sheeran’s claims sound fake... I don’t KNOW. I wasn’t alive for or near the action to know.
However, Frank’s seemingly fake claims can also bring about the truth. It can bring out someone to step forward and either claim ownership or, provide actual believable evidence that proves Frank’s claims wrong.

If Frank’s stock goes up because of these stories, jealousy and anger can brew up among some people.

Someone knows or knew who committed the unsolved crimes. Time will tell if they honor Omertà or recognize it has become, every man for himself.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976638
08/08/19 10:46 AM
08/08/19 10:46 AM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
I’m looking forward to the movie for entertainment reasons, but, much like godfellas there will be artistic liberties with the truth. The book was full of exaggerations if not outright lies. Some truths I’m sure, but in any case it’s not like some gangster is going to sue him for taking credit for something he didn’t do. Just like the iceman lied over and over who’s gonna claim otherwise and admit to murder? I will say he’s a bad ass just for being in combat over 400 days. I don’t doubt he’s a real tough guy.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976669
08/08/19 08:18 PM
08/08/19 08:18 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

I don't know about the 25 murders he claimed, but I do think he pulled the trigger in a few hits.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976673
08/08/19 08:37 PM
08/08/19 08:37 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Guy isn't even Irish! He's American of Swedish and Irish descent. He's like one of those wonderbread wops who had a grandfather come off the boat over a hundred years ago and thinks it makes him Italian.

Joe Rogan and Steve Schirripa had a good conversation about stuff like this on their podcast.

And look at them, despite his surname Rogan is actually more Italian than Schirripa. Rogan's 75% Italian and 25% Irish, Schirripa's half Italian and half Jewish.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976690
08/09/19 02:49 AM
08/09/19 02:49 AM
J
JimmyIrons Offline
Made Member
JimmyIrons  Offline
J
Made Member
When I clicked on the article I expected to factual basis for the hit piece.. But nothing. He doesn’t disprove one single thing. Is the book full of lies? Maybe. But it’s clear this website I’ve never heard of doesn’t have an editor.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: JimmyIrons] #976835
08/10/19 11:45 PM
08/10/19 11:45 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by JimmyIrons
When I clicked on the article I expected to factual basis for the hit piece.. But nothing. He doesn’t disprove one single thing. Is the book full of lies? Maybe. But it’s clear this website I’ve never heard of doesn’t have an editor.

I agree..

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: Moe_Tilden] #976838
08/11/19 02:36 AM
08/11/19 02:36 AM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Guy isn't even Irish! He's American of Swedish and Irish descent. He's like one of those wonderbread wop who had a grandfather come off the boat over a hundred years ago and thinks it makes him Italian.

That term refers to someone’s culture, and not to his “ethnic purity”.

The cultural environment in which an individual is raised defines his personality more than DNA, unless one believes in racist theories.

Someone may be born in Italy, holding an Italian passport but if he was raised by Chinese parents in a monocultural, close-knit community (read: ghetto) in Prato or Milan he’d be less culturally Italian than a “non-genetically pure” wop raised in a majority-Italian area in Montreal, Staten Island or Melbourne.

Better example: Look at the many French-born-and-raised youths who are more culturally Maghrebi than French. An Acadian or a Québécois who never stepped foot on French soil is more in line with his ancestral culture than them.

Most “national identities” are transnational due to obvious historical (mass emigration, colonization) and social (poverty, segregation, self-segregation, radicalization) reasons thus more fluid and complex than many believe.

America, being one of the first Western nations to experience massive immigration has reached a stage that many European nations will experience later or are starting to experience today.

As for Frank Sheeran, supposedly that was his underworld nickname. I don’t know if he “felt” Irish at all. Whitey Bulger was 50% Canadian-Québécois but being born in Southie in 1929 sure played a fundamental role in the creation of his persona.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: hoodlum] #976858
08/11/19 10:20 AM
08/11/19 10:20 AM
NEPA and now Fla
J
Jshov31 Offline
Retired Capo
Jshov31  Offline
Retired Capo
J
Made Member
NEPA and now Fla
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Originally Posted by JimmyIrons

I agree..

Me too. The guy that wrote this article is a complete jerkoff.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976928
08/12/19 08:54 PM
08/12/19 08:54 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
I tend to believe Sheeran's account of Hoffa's disappearance. Hoffa's family (hell, even Sheeran's daughter) thinks he did it. Hoffa was streetwise and cautious, he wouldn't have gotten into a car with just anyone. As for the Joey Gallo hit, that's less plausible, but it's not impossible.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: Fleming_Ave] #976929
08/12/19 09:14 PM
08/12/19 09:14 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Originally Posted by Fleming_Ave
I tend to believe Sheeran's account of Hoffa's disappearance. Hoffa's family (hell, even Sheeran's daughter) thinks he did it. Hoffa was streetwise and cautious, he wouldn't have gotten into a car with just anyone. As for the Joey Gallo hit, that's less plausible, but it's not impossible.

Why would Sheeran claim the Gallo hit if he had nothing to do with it. Gallo disrespected Bufalino and it happened in a Genovese place.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976930
08/12/19 09:39 PM
08/12/19 09:39 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Don't forget in those years Bufalino was appointed as an "interim boss" of the Genovese crime family by the Commission at a time when that crime family was experiencing internal difficulties.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976933
08/12/19 10:30 PM
08/12/19 10:30 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

I forgot where i read that buffalino was sometype of interim boss that is bullshit.. its in a fbi file somewhere. There is zero percent chance it ever happened. Was he called into mediate disputes in there family probaly yes. But benny squint took over as boss after genovese died. You had heavy weights like benny squint,catena, and eboli. Never mind fat tony and funzi tieri. I think after benny squint has eboli killed, catena retires and funzi gets upped to underboss. They might have used buffalino to smooth out feathers in the family. No way a boss from a tiny family is put incharge of the biggest family in the usa

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: Hollander] #976934
08/12/19 10:34 PM
08/12/19 10:34 PM
J
JC Offline
Made Member
JC  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted by Hollander
Don't forget in those years Bufalino was appointed as an "interim boss" of the Genovese crime family by the Commission at a time when that crime family was experiencing internal difficulties.

With all due respect it makes no sense that the Genovese would let anyone pick a boss for their family. They wewre arguably still the most powerful family in the country in the late 60's early 70's, easily still in the top 3, and had a ton of guys who were powers in their own right who could run the family (Lombardo, Tieri, Salerno, Catena, etc.). They didn't need an interim boss, and I doubt that they would let either rival families (Gambino) or lesser out of town families (Philly, Detroit) have a say in deciding who would run their family. The line of sucession is fairly straight forward: Genovese dies in 1969, Catena takes over,, he goes to jail in 1970 and sometime while he is in jail Lombardo/Tieri start running the family, in 1981 Fat Tony is briefly the boss before his stroke, then the Chin takes over. When would Bufalino have run the family? Sorry, that doesn't hold water, the Genovese wouldn't let someone from coal country come in and run the family.

As for the Gallo hit, do you really think that that the bosses in NY said "He insulted Bufalino? That's the final straw, we can't let that stand!" After all that he had done, insulting an ouf ot town boss was what finally got him clipped? If you really believe that I don't know what to tell you, I might have some swamp land in Florida and a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976936
08/12/19 10:49 PM
08/12/19 10:49 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

You're probably right pmac McGee was more like an adviser to them. Luparelli revealed who the perpetrators of the Gallo murder were, but his testimony was not considered credible by the FBI.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976938
08/12/19 11:21 PM
08/12/19 11:21 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

buffalino was a very important guy. he had his own family for along ass time, and he was very successful. him being so hands on made it easy for the fbi to put his ass away because he wasnt insulated like the big families. i forgot what he got a federal bid for in the 80tys but it was pretty dumb. i read that old mary fer fbi file where a informant says (70tys) buffalino is acting boss of the genovese family but i think it was just poorly written report and the info probaly came from someone way down on the food chain. i think he was called into a genovese sitdown as like a outside mediator they could trust. theres a picture of him and bobby manna walking together around 1980 on the pic thread

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976939
08/13/19 12:08 AM
08/13/19 12:08 AM
J
JimmyIrons Offline
Made Member
JimmyIrons  Offline
J
Made Member
From reading the book the author didn’t just take Sheerhan’s word on everything, he took quite a few steps to try and verify things. Such as the Gallo hit.

I’m not saying everything is 100 percent true but I tend to believe Sheerhans side. Certainly more than this putz.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #976949
08/13/19 08:47 AM
08/13/19 08:47 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
For me Sheeran help to ambush and get rid of Hoffa body but nothing more.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #977084
08/16/19 05:36 PM
08/16/19 05:36 PM
Rochester/Pittsburgh
FrankValenti Offline OP
The Sphinx
FrankValenti  Offline OP
The Sphinx
Made Member
Rochester/Pittsburgh
The publisher of I Heard You Paint Houses wrote an extremely thorough rebuttal to this article. The publisher disputes all of the journalist's claims in this hit piece. Honestly, the publisher did a very good job of tearing apart Slate's attempts to discredit Frank Sheeran and Charles Brandt. In fairness, the journalist also responded well to the book's publisher.

This is worth a read:

https://slate.com/culture/2019/08/the-irishman-book-publisher-reply-bill-tonelli.html?

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: Hollander] #977096
08/16/19 11:02 PM
08/16/19 11:02 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Fleming_Ave

Why would Sheeran claim the Gallo hit if he had nothing to do with it. Gallo disrespected Bufalino and it happened in a Genovese place.

I could have written that better. I totally believe he killed Hoffa. I do think it's possible he could have killed Gallo. It's just not as certain as the Hoffa hit. But it is entirely possible, Buffalino was a boss of a city not too far from NYC, so it's likely he went there often. And we know Gallo had no respect for bosses.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: JC] #977171
08/19/19 08:38 AM
08/19/19 08:38 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by JC

With all due respect it makes no sense that the Genovese would let anyone pick a boss for their family. They wewre arguably still the most powerful family in the country in the late 60's early 70's, easily still in the top 3, and had a ton of guys who were powers in their own right who could run the family (Lombardo, Tieri, Salerno, Catena, etc.). They didn't need an interim boss, and I doubt that they would let either rival families (Gambino) or lesser out of town families (Philly, Detroit) have a say in deciding who would run their family. The line of sucession is fairly straight forward: Genovese dies in 1969, Catena takes over,, he goes to jail in 1970 and sometime while he is in jail Lombardo/Tieri start running the family, in 1981 Fat Tony is briefly the boss before his stroke, then the Chin takes over. When would Bufalino have run the family? Sorry, that doesn't hold water, the Genovese wouldn't let someone from coal country come in and run the family.

As for the Gallo hit, do you really think that that the bosses in NY said "He insulted Bufalino? That's the final straw, we can't let that stand!" After all that he had done, insulting an ouf ot town boss was what finally got him clipped? If you really believe that I don't know what to tell you, I might have some swamp land in Florida and a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

I also don't think Bufalino had the authority to clip Gallo, who was still a member of the Colombos, without first consulting the Colombo leadership. And normally such matters takes some time and are not arranged within one evening. And indeed, if Bufalino/Sheeran knew where to find Gallo, how come the Colombos themselves somehow weren't able to as they had all the reason in the world to get rid of him.

This movie is going to be filled with artistic license. Scorsese's former mob movies (Goodfellas and Casino) were largely factual.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: JC] #977567
08/27/19 07:45 PM
08/27/19 07:45 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Originally Posted by JC

Sheeran probably didn't know what the reason was behind the Gallo hit he didn't knew him, didn't he read about it later in the newspapers? The commission was fed up with Joey.

Last edited by Hollander; 08/27/19 07:46 PM.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #977574
08/27/19 11:59 PM
08/27/19 11:59 PM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
Did anyone else hear that the movie is suppose to be 3.5 hours long?

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: The_Marble_Guy] #977639
08/29/19 06:34 PM
08/29/19 06:34 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Originally Posted by The_Marble_Guy
Did anyone else hear that the movie is suppose to be 3.5 hours long?

Yep Marty's longest film ever let's hope for a Goodfellas 2.0 he should have had the best film Oscar back then, maybe now.

Last edited by Hollander; 08/29/19 06:40 PM.

Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #977653
08/30/19 10:19 AM
08/30/19 10:19 AM
Providence, RI
T
The_Marble_Guy Offline
Capo
The_Marble_Guy  Offline
T
Capo
Providence, RI
Exclusive interview coming from Empire Magazine next week

https://www.empireonline.com/movies...exclusive-scorsese-de-niro-pesci-pacino/

Jerry Tillinghast
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #980735
11/10/19 02:29 AM
11/10/19 02:29 AM
GangstersInc Offline
Underboss
GangstersInc  Offline
Underboss
Who killed Jimmy Hoffa? Veteran journalists share their insights at the Mob Museum http://gangstersinc.ning.com/profil...teran-journalists-share-their-insights-a

The best website about global organized crime & the Mafia: http://www.gangstersinc.org - Since 2001 - Want to write for us? Drop me a DM/mail!
Re: New Article: The Lies of The Irishman [Re: FrankValenti] #980754
11/10/19 03:27 PM
11/10/19 03:27 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
So Sheeran doesnt kill:
Joe Gallo
Jimmy Hoffa
Paul Castellano (as write in Brandt book)
There are proofs that he really killed or was involved in a killing?
Or he said to Brandt and Hoffa's parents what they wanted to to hear?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull