GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 90 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,162
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? #974376
07/05/19 11:44 AM
07/05/19 11:44 AM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
This topic may have been discussed for years; but how much power and influence did Fat Tony have? I know he could sit on commission meetings and conduct initiation ceremony's; but most of the bosses knew he wasn't the real boss. That honor goes to either Phil Lombardo or/and Vincent Gigante.

Was Salerno respected by the other bosses who had a strangle hold on their family; Speaking specifically about Anthony Corallo; Carmine Persico; Phil Rastelli and Paul Castellano.

Salerno's position in the family is confusing. Did he have more power then the underboss and consigliere?

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974402
07/05/19 05:49 PM
07/05/19 05:49 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

the genovese jungled there positions all threw the 70tys. but from everything ive read fat tony was underboss after eboli is killed. funzi tieri is consig according to vincent fish cafaro in 1974 when he was inducted and benny squint is boss. there was tons of wire taps of tonys office. he complains about another family passing him a list of guys they want to induct in 1983 but left out there nick names. he says to his friend oh well thats up to the boss meaning chin. benny squint and chin after let tony have huge leeway not like gotti having his underboss next to him every day or gaspipe and vic. makes you think where was bobby manna, he was never picked up at tonys club in the 80tys or chin. they spread it out. big paul on tape in 1982 saying call fat tony or never mind call chin

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974403
07/05/19 06:00 PM
07/05/19 06:00 PM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
I would say Tony Salerno had a huge amount of power and influence, regardless of what his actual title was.

He has been directly connected to many big rackets, in NY and in other states, including large scale numbers and loan sharking operations, the construction industry and the waterfront. He also had powerful connections in the "legitimate" world through his lawyer Roy Cohn.

Cosa Nostra members from across the USA would come to meet him to discuss business. Now this could be just because he was the designated Genovese family representative and others were the real power behind the scenes, but this kind of nationwide access still makes him very powerful and influential.

I don't know about the other bosses, but Corallo and Salerno seemed like old buddies and Castellano respected him enough to be partners with him in a big concrete business.

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974404
07/05/19 06:18 PM
07/05/19 06:18 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

when benny squint wants to retire in 1981 fat tonys sick i think, had a stroke. chin takes the helm. he makes manna his consig i think santora is acting underboss cause fat tony recuperating. when tony gets better either he gets back the underboss title or the front boss. i think he was underboss agin 82 till he gets arrested for the commssion trial febuary 85

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974405
07/05/19 06:20 PM
07/05/19 06:20 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

chin let him take care of all the business shit with the other families but he kept big money guys like morris levy and pete savino to himself

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974419
07/05/19 08:34 PM
07/05/19 08:34 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

yes mighty dr your rite on point. theres tapes of him and tony ducks shooting the shit like buddys at a bar except there 70tys yr old life long mobsters. and when the guys from buffalo new york went to fat tony and hes telling them the big boys from new york said no shooting war. think buffalo was fighting to crown a new boss. or the cleveland family asking him to induct new soldiers. he was respected across the usa. he seemed like a money maker not a violent guy like chin. throwing guys to death off buildings ect

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974438
07/05/19 11:06 PM
07/05/19 11:06 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
@ Pmac. That's interesting. Never knew Corallo and Salerno were buds. The conversations between them are ancient and legendary. I honestly didn't think they liked eachother. Both were old school LCN. Salerno hated the press; and used his cane to keep them away; Corallo would spit on the courthouse steps every chance he got...

Is it true that the captains in the family; Could go to Lombardo; Chin or Fat Tony on certain issues? Those 3 were like a 3 man panel with Phil Lombardo having the final say. I heard all the captains could go to all 3.....

@Pmac. Tell me more about Tieri. I heard there was meeting in a book where he was said he was boss. I think Salerno was there and someone else..

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974447
07/06/19 06:47 AM
07/06/19 06:47 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Corallo and Salerno go back to when they were driving their bosses, Lucchese and Genovese respectively. Genovese and Lucchese went way back so it was not uncommon for them before Appalachian, to make social calls once a week. Fat Tony was powerful, to where he would be one of the two New York mobsters Manny Figlia of SJ would reachout to, the other being Colombo member Thomas DiBella. The California families would reachout to Chicago, and if it was real serious, they would reachout to New York and Tony Salerno was always one of the mobsters they would reachout to, as Chicago represented California, but Tony's son was a made member for Chicago so once a California met with Chicago, Salerno Son would sit in some of those meetings and message his dad Tony in New York as best as he could about what was on that family's mind or issue was. It was just easier to have an audience with Fat Tony as there was a good chance he knew what the topic would be and have sometime to think things over with the Genovese administration to make a ruling on the matter. That is just California, there are well documented sitdowns Salerno had with Buffalo, Cleveland, Boston, and Pittsburgh families.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974449
07/06/19 08:31 AM
07/06/19 08:31 AM
UK
S
streetbossliborio Offline
Underboss
streetbossliborio  Offline
S
Underboss
UK
Tony son was made in Chicago? Who is he and is he still alive?

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974453
07/06/19 11:35 AM
07/06/19 11:35 AM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
All I know people say Fat Tony was a "Front" or some guy that was used up by Phil Lombardo and The Chin. Seems like this man was respected and powerful in his own right. He wasn't a normal underboss; He might be the most powerful underboss to ever been around....

Another question; Was Frank Tieri the main man responsible for the Angelo Bruno murder?? Or do you think there were a bunch of Genovese leaders involved too? Theres different conflicting accounts. I know Tony Caponigro wanted Bruno whacked but who else could have been involved?

Last edited by Zavattoni; 07/06/19 11:36 AM.

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974473
07/06/19 02:26 PM
07/06/19 02:26 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
Salerno was one of the most fascinating "bosses" of all-time, right out of central casting. I wish we knew more about him, it's obvious he wielded major power and had the ear of nearly every family in the United States during their heyday

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974487
07/06/19 05:55 PM
07/06/19 05:55 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Streetboss, my mistake Louie the Mooch was Tommy Eboli son, it was Tommy Eboli Jr another son of Tommy Eboli and man in Chicago, who would make trips to New York and relay messages with the Genovese family. Fat Tony and Vincent Gigante were who he met with among other capos and soldiers in the family.

Zavattoni, many people believe the Genovese crime family was behind it, but it was all Frank Tieri. He had a score to settle with Tony Caponigro and still wanted his bookmaking operations. Two birds one stone. When looking over the info on Angelo Bruno hit, it appears many soldiers and some capos in Philly and New Jersey wanted him removed. I don't believe the Genovese crime family ordered the hit, but they knew Tieri was behind it after a meeting with Caponigro, and thus tried to cover it up to protect the family and relied on Louis Manna to influence and gain control of the Philly family through Scarfo, and having Peter Casella as underboss, with advicement from Jerry Catena, also helped the Genovese gain control of Philadelphia. Casella became a bad choice, as Frank Narducci Sr. paid Peter to go along with a plot to remove Phil Testa, become the boss, then name Frank as his underboss, after awhile, retire and gain more money from Narducci after naming Frank boss. Scarfo checked with New York about Peter becoming the boss, Bobby Manna has always been said to have been the person, but Scarfo checked with Fat Tony and Sammy Black to make sure, and was told the commission never approved Casella to become boss. Narducci was killed and Jerry Catena spoke for Casella and Casella was spared but had to pay a fine and retire from LCN affairs, he ended up movie to Florida where Catena was able to keep an eye on. Rosario and Giovanni Gambino were having problems with Angelo Bruno and Tony Caponigro, the problems finally when away when Rosario was locked up, but there is strong evidence that John Stanfa was involved in the hit as Brunos driver, and was close to the Gambino brothers. Paul Castellano tricked John Johnny Keys Simone in thinking he would back him up, but in reality he set him up to be killed. Before Simone reached out to Big Paul, he met with someone high up in the Genovese family. How he kept saying Vincent Gigante set it all up and betrayed him, would indicate The Chin sent John Keys to Big Paul guys to get support for the boss spot in Philadelphia. It all points to different groups wanting Bruno removed and working towards it, but did not know some of the other participants, Tony Caponigro was the key, and we will never really know the full story as he was killed pretty fast.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: pmac] #974488
07/06/19 07:56 PM
07/06/19 07:56 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by pmac
the genovese jungled there positions all threw the 70tys. but from everything ive read fat tony was underboss after eboli is killed. funzi tieri is consig according to vincent fish cafaro in 1974 when he was inducted and benny squint is boss. there was tons of wire taps of tonys office. he complains about another family passing him a list of guys they want to induct in 1983 but left out there nick names. he says to his friend oh well thats up to the boss meaning chin. benny squint and chin after let tony have huge leeway not like gotti having his underboss next to him every day or gaspipe and vic. makes you think where was bobby manna, he was never picked up at tonys club in the 80tys or chin. they spread it out. big paul on tape in 1982 saying call fat tony or never mind call chin

No doubt a powerhouse !

He was a street guy , he loved being right in it and with his guys .( other when he would break away up state) Others personalities like Chin is different fucken guy slept till sunset . But they were low key and if not they were bold in the life “ not in there mouth ! like now with these guys bragging.

It’s was a secret society not a fucken college fraternity . And the guys back then knew and were raised like men . Guys now are soft most have never wanted for nothing most have never seen what these guys went through as kids.

What the Westside had back then was something that will never happen again, I don’t think you got five guys in the life right now in all the families that the Westside had with there top four at any point .

Last edited by Serpiente; 07/06/19 07:56 PM.

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974491
07/06/19 08:51 PM
07/06/19 08:51 PM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted by Zavattoni

Another question; Was Frank Tieri the main man responsible for the Angelo Bruno murder?? Or do you think there were a bunch of Genovese leaders involved too? Theres different conflicting accounts. I know Tony Caponigro wanted Bruno whacked but who else could have been involved?

Looking over the info about it in different books (Gravano’s, Leonetti’s and Fresolone’s), I think it was a joint effort by the Genovese leaders.

Tieri wanted to move in on a big bookmaking operation Caponigro had. They took the dispute to the Commission. Caponigro wins because he has the backing of Bruno and Bruno has the backing of Castellano, so they have the majority of the Commission votes.

So the Genovese people want to take over Caponigro’s business in NJ and they want Philly’s support on the Commission. Caponigro ends up giving it to them on silver platter. For some reason, he starts confiding his grievances about Bruno in Tieri, who eventually tells Caponigro he has Commission permission to kill Bruno.

Bobby Manna met with Scarfo before Bruno was killed and asked him if “God forbid” something happened to Ange and Philip Testa became boss, where the Genovese would stand with the Philly family. Scarfo told him they would align themselves with the Genovese family.

Bruno is killed and Chin tells the Commission the Genovese family is volunteering to lead the investigation into how this happened. Caponigro is called before Fat Tony, Tieri, Bobby Manna and the Chin. They ask him who gave him permission to kill his boss, he says Tieri, Tieri say “I told you straighten it out, not kill him”. Then Caponigro is brutally killed.

So now the Genovese family doesn’t have to deal with Caponigro in NJ anymore and they have the Philly family’s support. Like GV said, two birds with one stone.

Last edited by MightyDR; 07/06/19 08:54 PM.
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974492
07/06/19 09:31 PM
07/06/19 09:31 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
@MightyDR.
At the time Caponigro was called before Chin; Fat Tony; Bobby Manna; And Tieri. What were their ranks at the time?

@Serpeinte
Why is Scarfo's name never put with the Bruno or Testa hit. I believe he was involved somehow. John Stanfa had something to do with the Bruno hit; I read he met with one of the leaders of the 5 families after the hit.

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974493
07/06/19 09:48 PM
07/06/19 09:48 PM
UK
S
Underboss
S
Underboss
UK
I like the way joey Merlino came in and told NY to get stuffed and to meet him in philly if they wanted to meet. It was common knowledge what they done with Bruno and he didnt give a sh*t about them. For all the bad press he gets he has been very clever and all the brazen moves he has made have worked in his favour. How he isn’t dead or serving life is insane

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974494
07/06/19 09:58 PM
07/06/19 09:58 PM
UK
S
Underboss
S
Underboss
UK
Funny why Merlino gets bad press as a crap young turk boss. The guys touching 60 been a boss for decades, loads of bodies under his reign, won wars, told meddling NY to go f**k themselves, women, money and he still hits the streets with no life sentence in this day and age. As a mafioso goes he has been very successful no? (not condoning that lifestyle just judging him as part of that life against others in that life)

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974497
07/06/19 10:56 PM
07/06/19 10:56 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Zavattoni, at the time of Angelo Bruno hit in spring of 1980, this is what I have of those members ranks in the Genovese family. Vincent Gigante Consigliere, Anthiny Salerno Underboss, Louis Manna Acting Consigliere, Frank Tieri Capo and front boss. Someone might chip in and add to it or correct it, but that is what I have for the Genovese, after Carmine Zeccardi disappeared in 1977.

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974503
07/07/19 08:34 AM
07/07/19 08:34 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Zavattoni
@MightyDR.
At the time Caponigro was called before Chin; Fat Tony; Bobby Manna; And Tieri. What were their ranks at the time?

@Serpeinte
Why is Scarfo's name never put with the Bruno or Testa hit. I believe he was involved somehow. John Stanfa had something to do with the Bruno hit; I read he met with one of the leaders of the 5 families after the hit.

Because he was about the rules and and looked the other way possibly on Mannas advice or hints .

I don’t think it was as perfectly put together as everyone is saying, but the chips did fall in place . I just don’t see the Westside starting a war . I think it was Caponigro overzealousness .

Does anyone know his relationship with Terri years prior ? Why trust him with what he did ?

Nick would of looked the other way if he was not involved, and he would of been involved if it really had come from the Commission .

But Nick would never of believed one mans word . Commission has a way of letting others know when shit like that was going to go down.

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #974517
07/07/19 01:08 PM
07/07/19 01:08 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Zavattoni, at the time of Angelo Bruno hit in spring of 1980, this is what I have of those members ranks in the Genovese family. Vincent Gigante Consigliere, Anthiny Salerno Underboss, Louis Manna Acting Consigliere, Frank Tieri Capo and front boss. Someone might chip in and add to it or correct it, but that is what I have for the Genovese, after Carmine Zeccardi disappeared in 1977.

At the time; Lombardo was the Official Boss?

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974519
07/07/19 03:00 PM
07/07/19 03:00 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
@Giacomo_Vacari.
I don't think Chin was ever Consigliere. I think people thought he was. Was it Gravano who stated this?

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974521
07/07/19 03:13 PM
07/07/19 03:13 PM
Zavattoni Offline OP
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline OP
Underboss
The Genovese heiarchy is soo confusing. Funzi; Chin; Fat Tony; Ben Lombardo, Thomas Eboli have all been called bosses. Are their any Genovese old timers who is living that knew the whole set up?

I think Chin brother Mario Gigante is living. He might kno. He's been around for sooooo long. He was in the crew of Vito Genovese when he was a captain.

Last edited by Zavattoni; 07/07/19 03:15 PM.

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974522
07/07/19 03:34 PM
07/07/19 03:34 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Yes, I am saying Phil Lombardo was the official boss. He also lived in New Jersey for most of the year then lived in Florida in late fall till early spring the next year. I dont believe Lombardo was involved in the Bruno hit, and it was all Tieri, when Phil found out what Frank had done, he saved his old friends ass, and then retired a year later when he felt Philadelphia was settled down, trying to pick between Gigante and Salerno, but Fat Tony had suffered a mild stroke, so he picked The Chin. Right after Lombardo retired, Phil Testa was killed in March.

Salerno was a bookie and loan shark, which that operation was making Millions of dollars annually alone, it varies each year, but not less than 25 million a year. He was partners with Paul Castellano in S&A Concrete Inc, that made a lot of money. He got a piece of Las Vegas skim, but most likely that went to the administration and a few retired members. The Teamsters Union, a few other unions, was a silent partner in a couple of restraunts, and an unnamed horse racetrack. We know Gigante took away alot of his business when Tony was broken down to a soldier, but was given an unknown number back when he was serving as a front boss for awhile. There has been reports of Tony having influence in AC, but that was mostly Bobby Manna, and Louis Gatto.

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974523
07/07/19 03:39 PM
07/07/19 03:39 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
I read somewhere that fat tony was first choice to be boss, not chin...stroked out at a bad time

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974540
07/07/19 08:01 PM
07/07/19 08:01 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

He was one of the most influential mobsters in US history, he had contacts in Cleveland, Philadelphia, New England, Buffalo, Chicago.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974542
07/07/19 08:28 PM
07/07/19 08:28 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

He had split operation or atleast a cutt with jewish bookies in boston back in the 50 n 60tys. He comes up in some ray p wires in 60tys. Gerry a had to go to miami to talk to him. Yaeh he had huge weight across the country and seems to genuinely be liked. Big paul was on his wire tap in his house talking how nice it was fat tony sent him that famous picture on a Christmas card he sent to alot of mob guys. I wonder if it was only bosses or did he print 200 and send it to all his friends. Ebay make a few bucks. I think that guy peanut tronolone or some shit from cleveland set up johnny keys at fat tony and the commissions backing. The gambinos just happend to take care of the hit. Samm the bull

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974543
07/07/19 08:31 PM
07/07/19 08:31 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

I think it was a convo between fat tony and tony ducks getring mad about big Paul getting the most money from the concrete club when it was to be a even split or fair. Tony ducks was talking shit

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: azguy] #974557
07/07/19 09:24 PM
07/07/19 09:24 PM
J
JC Offline
Made Member
JC  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted by azguy
Salerno was one of the most fascinating "bosses" of all-time, right out of central casting. I wish we knew more about him, it's obvious he wielded major power and had the ear of nearly every family in the United States during their heyday

There is a ton that's known about Tony Salerno, more than most mobsters. He came up in the 116th Street Crew with his brothers and Phil Lombardo under Trigger Mike Coppola. That crew along with the Greenwich Village Crew (Genovese, Tony Bender Strollo, Tommy and Patsy Eboli and Vinny the Chin and his brother Mario) was arguably the most powerful crew in the Genovese family. When Tirgger Mke moved to Miami Fat Tony basically became his voice in NYC. Just like Trigger Mike he had interests all over the place, NYC, Miami, Vegas, Boston, Newport, Kentucky to name a few. It was even speculated that he owned part of the Cal Nevada lodge with Sam Giancana. He is mentioned a ton in the Mary Ferrell documents, when Paul Ricca sold his house in Miami I believe that he sold it to Fat Tony, who was back and forth alot between there and NYC. I don't know if that was the compound that he was said to have there, he also had a big place in Rhineback. He was very influential in boxing and in the Tommy James book he talks about Salerno spending a good deal of time with Morris Levy along with a bunch of other guys in the Genovese family. I think that Barney Bellomo's dad was in his crew. He and Tony Ducks Corallo knew each other since they were young in East Harlem. The Genovese and Lucheses worked very closely in that area, so much so that members of one family were often misidentified as being with the other family in early mob documents. George Barone mentioned him in him in his testimony. He said that Fat Tony kept calling shipping containers box cars or something like that and that he didn't really understand what was going on on the waterfront He also talked about Fat Tony sending him to Newport to kill some black guy who was giving him a problem and to Miami to kill Genovese captain John Biello. He was friendly with Jack Cerone and Peanuts Tronolone.

Whether he was actually ever actually number one in the family even for a brief period, who knows. Just like Tieri and Eboli, two other supposed "front" bosses, he was a mega earner and carried his own weight, they were all powers in their own right and had contacts all over the country. They didn't need a title to have power and respect.

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: JC] #974562
07/07/19 09:36 PM
07/07/19 09:36 PM
J
JC Offline
Made Member
JC  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted by JC
Originally Posted by azguy

There is a ton that's known about Tony Salerno, more than most mobsters. He came up in the 116th Street Crew with his brothers and Phil Lombardo under Trigger Mike Coppola. That crew along with the Greenwich Village Crew (Genovese, Tony Bender Strollo, Tommy and Patsy Eboli and Vinny the Chin and his brother Mario) was arguably the most powerful crew in the Genovese family. When Tirgger Mke moved to Miami Fat Tony basically became his voice in NYC. Just like Trigger Mike he had interests all over the place, NYC, Miami, Vegas, Boston, Newport, Kentucky to name a few. It was even speculated that he owned part of the Cal Nevada lodge with Sam Giancana. He is mentioned a ton in the Mary Ferrell documents, when Paul Ricca sold his house in Miami I believe that he sold it to Fat Tony, who was back and forth alot between there and NYC. I don't know if that was the compound that he was said to have there, he also had a big place in Rhineback. He was very influential in boxing and in the Tommy James book he talks about Salerno spending a good deal of time with Morris Levy along with a bunch of other guys in the Genovese family. I think that Barney Bellomo's dad was in his crew. He and Tony Ducks Corallo knew each other since they were young in East Harlem. The Genovese and Lucheses worked very closely in that area, so much so that members of one family were often misidentified as being with the other family in early mob documents. George Barone mentioned him in him in his testimony. He said that Fat Tony kept calling shipping containers box cars or something like that and that he didn't really understand what was going on on the waterfront He also talked about Fat Tony sending him to Newport to kill some black guy who was giving him a problem and to Miami to kill Genovese captain John Biello. He was friendly with Jack Cerone and Peanuts Tronolone.

Whether he was actually ever actually number one in the family even for a brief period, who knows. Just like Tieri and Eboli, two other supposed "front" bosses, he was a mega earner and carried his own weight, they were all powers in their own right and had contacts all over the country. They didn't need a title to have power and respect.

He was also supposedly tied to Steve Wynn. In the book Running Scared they had transcripts of the wiretap where they caught Peanuts Tronolone talking to him at the Palma Boys social club about the sale of the Stardut in Vegas in the early 80's. Supposedly Peanuts was sent by Jack Cerone to ask Fat Tony to stop Steve Wynn from blocking the sale of the casino. Although I dont think that it was ever conclusively provent that Wynn was a Genovese associate, I believe that a few Genovese associates worked in one or more of his casinos if my memory is correct. I also seem to remember that Wynne sued the author of the book for libel and lost.

Another place where he was mentioned was in the book My Father My Don that was written by Tony Napoli's son, who I think just passed away recently. The guy admittedly had a huge drinking problem so what he wrote should be taken with a grain of salt, but he claims that Fat Tony was his father's rabbi when he was still an associate. He also claimed that Tony Nap and Fat Tony sent him to Vegas to move Genovese money around to different casinos, he told some interesting stories, whether they are entirely true or not who knows.

Re: Anthony "Fat Tony" Salerno"s power and influence? [Re: Zavattoni] #974563
07/07/19 09:37 PM
07/07/19 09:37 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

I was just reading a old gangland article. Fat tonys hitter george barone testified at pete gotti trial he killed that guy in miami. I thought it was boston guys nope

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull