GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Irishman12, RushStreet, The_Marble_Guy, 1 invisible), 101 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,353
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,214
Posts1,056,166
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Cali hit got me thinking #967457
03/22/19 01:13 AM
03/22/19 01:13 AM
M
matteodenaro Offline OP
Wiseguy
matteodenaro  Offline OP
M
Wiseguy
The recent hit of Frank Cali is unorthodox, per mob standards. This goofy 24 yr old kid taking out a Boss is insane. It got me thinking about the current state of LCN. I'm 41, and as a kid in the south suburbs of Chicago, there were notorious people you heard stories about. They were almost legendary in a sense. Names that come to mind for me would be Francis "thin man" Curry, Dominic Confiliano, Armand D'Andrea, Dino Zazetti, "sp*c" Bianco, Joe Mancuso, Eddie Foschi, Bobby Tezak, Vic Gallo and Al Koukas. These are names that no one here probably has ever heard of.

Most of the names were tied to the Chicago Heights street crew and we're so under the radar that their only folklore existed within our own little suburb. They controlled unions, had relatives in the Police department and city hall, ran construction companies, owned cemeteries and controlled gaming and amusements. Some ran "clip joints", which were basically strip bars that hustled the customers into over spending.

No one would ever think of jacking with these people. And if you did, there was a serious consequence to pay. There was a certain mystique about these people.

But now in 2019, some MAGA Qanon jagoff wants to bang the boss's niece and decides to off him over it. And I have to say, I really don't think this dude will be dealt any gangland consequence for it. I mean guys, we're talking about the Gambino Crime Family. In 1980, this mfkr wouldn't have had the luxury of being arrested. He'd have been gone, fast. Especially seeing how the niece and the family in general for that matter, would have known exactly who this jagoff was and a Gambino squad would have been dispatched immediately.

My point is, I've resided to the fact that La Cosa Nostra's influence is gone. They are nothing more than a small gang of criminals that are holding onto something that has seen it's day. Are they dangerous people? Sure. But no more dangerous than an Anthony Comello or a Ceasar Sayoc.

The mob as we knew it, is a shell of it's former self. And that's being nice IMO. Any thoughts?

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967461
03/22/19 01:51 AM
03/22/19 01:51 AM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
Mobsters now & back then aren't immune to domestic violence period. He would of been locked up like today. Nothing extraordinary about the situation unless more information comes out in the future. Dude was a Underboss.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967466
03/22/19 05:38 AM
03/22/19 05:38 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
do you really think a similar fool is worried about conseguences? he has the same mentality of that suprematist who did a massacre in new zealand
It has nothing to do with lcn losing power

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967470
03/22/19 08:06 AM
03/22/19 08:06 AM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Exactly what BlackFamily and m2w said , same thing could have happened back in the day , some nutcase shows up and kills Carlo Gambino. And Cali was not underboss , he was consigliere.

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967471
03/22/19 08:30 AM
03/22/19 08:30 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
I think what he's saying is that back then, the family would have gotten to him first and that would be that. Shit, look at what happened to the boyfriend of big Paul's daughter. The guy compared big Paul to the Purdue guy. He ain't around no more. Back then, there were so many crooked cops, they would've been selling the location and info on the killer to the Gambino family. Those days are gone. Who knows, maybe this is only the beginning and we get a real gruesome story on how they pour gas in his cell and he burns to death. Wasn't the black guy who shot Colombo a patsy? Someone will make a name for themselves and get him inside. Nobody called Bulger's slaying.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967472
03/22/19 08:37 AM
03/22/19 08:37 AM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
The mob may not be what they were, but don't kid yourselves. Unless this kid is kept in protective custody he's toast. The Gambinos don't have to lift a finger. Every guy convicted of a violent crime who doesn't have a release date coming up is going to be looking to kill that kid or at least put a real hurt on him to get in on the mob's good side.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967473
03/22/19 08:53 AM
03/22/19 08:53 AM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Even back then , how they could come to him first , no one would expect a nobody to kill a boss/underboss.They would probably start killing each other

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967475
03/22/19 09:22 AM
03/22/19 09:22 AM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Comello's alpha as fuck. He didn't cuck out when some mob boss told him he couldn't have the girl he wanted...

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Strax] #967476
03/22/19 09:26 AM
03/22/19 09:26 AM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Strax
same thing could have happened back in the day , some nutcase shows up and kills Carlo Gambino.

But it didn't.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967477
03/22/19 09:36 AM
03/22/19 09:36 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
He's going to wish he did. "Alpha" dog will soon be bitch. Slaughtered bitch at that. I wonder how the family handles the niece. I know from my dad's side of the family, the Sicilians know how to hold a grudge.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967478
03/22/19 09:46 AM
03/22/19 09:46 AM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
I know the neighborhood very well where Comello got arrested. It's a very nice neighborhood, expensive houses on lagoons near the bay. Some of the houses are only occupied in the summer, so it's quiet this time of year. The geography may explain why the wiseguys didn't get him before law enforcement did. If someone called 911 on that street, the cops would only have to block off I think 2 roads and anyone there is trapped, unless maybe they had a boat to get away.

Last edited by Fleming_Ave; 03/22/19 09:47 AM.
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: OakAsFan] #967479
03/22/19 09:54 AM
03/22/19 09:54 AM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
same thing could have happened back in the day , some nutcase shows up and kills Carlo Gambino.

But it didn't.

You get the point what im trying to say. It doesn't show how much mafia is powerful/weak. They are not immune to that stuff.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Strax] #967480
03/22/19 10:11 AM
03/22/19 10:11 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

I can't see that happening, back in the day. At least not in his Brooklyn home. Don Carlo would have never personally answered the door plus there was a patrol car sitting outside the house 24/7.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Strax] #967481
03/22/19 10:35 AM
03/22/19 10:35 AM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss

It doesn't show how much mafia is powerful/weak.

Well, actually it does. The fact that this happened today and never did back in the day does indicate a decrease in power and strength.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967483
03/22/19 10:44 AM
03/22/19 10:44 AM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
Another thing to considered is that we will be unaware of nearly how many close calls like this happen back in time.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967484
03/22/19 11:42 AM
03/22/19 11:42 AM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
I rather think it's a mistake on Cali's part than the decline of the mafia as a whole. Cali just wasn't thinking with his head.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967486
03/22/19 11:55 AM
03/22/19 11:55 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
That is a sign of times. Before even the bosses understand that could be killed and had bodyguards. In italy its normal that every men with even a little power continue watch his back,use armored cars and in some cases even wear a bullet proof vest.
Paolo DiLauro rarely went out of his house and some of his men doesn't know his face but in italy Comello and the cali's niece would be dead only because doesn't followed the boss orders.
Anyway the US media what say about Comello and the girl?
The Gambinos must kill him for dont lose the other families respect.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967495
03/22/19 02:38 PM
03/22/19 02:38 PM
Stubbs Offline
Capo
Stubbs  Offline
Capo
If history has taught us anything, it's that anyone at anytime can be killed by anyone. We've had people like JFK (a president!), RFK, and MLK gunned down by random nutjobs, and they had their bodyguards. Even Joe Colombo was gunned down in a public place, and he had an army of street guys surrounding him. Didn't matter.

Don't forget Oswald was only 24 when he killed Kennedy. People latch on to these wild conspiracy theories about these killings because the conspiracies almost more comforting that someone super powerful was taken down by some shadowy group. We like to think that there's something bigger at play, like CIA or military conspiracy theories. The idea that someone that powerful could be gunned down by some loner d-bag acting alone like Oswald or Comello is almost scarier than the conspiracies... the idea that presidents, mob bosses, and kings are mortal just like the rest of us and can be taken out by anyone else as easy as swatting a fly.

The reason Cali felt safe and didn't need bodyguards is because of how intense the NYPD and the Feds are in keeping a lid on crime and violence in NYC. The Mob had to adjust to the heavy police presence over the past two decades (since Guiliani) and had to put a stop to the killings (or, most of them) in NYC. Nowadays killings are rare in the mob. I mean, Cali had no reason to fear a mob hit because mob hits (at least internal mob hits) don't happen any more. Not to mention how strict the gun laws are these days in NY.

So in response to the heavy police presence, violence is down and mob-diplomacy is up. So why the hell wouldn't Cali open his door unarmed? Makes total sense. And in his mind, who's going to take a shot at him? Someone wants to take him on it's a 100% death sentence, either when they're locked up or on the street. So he thinks anyone who wants to take a shot couldn't be stupid enough to do it because they could never get away clean. But this wasn't a "mob hit" in the traditional sense... this wasn't some rival trying to take power or get revenge. It's just some punk kid with a half-assed plan who had no shot in hell of getting away with the crime... and he's gonna get shanked if he ever leaves protective custody.

"It wasn't very good parsley to begin with, and then the cat went and peed on it." -Sicilian proverb
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: OakAsFan] #967505
03/22/19 03:06 PM
03/22/19 03:06 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss

Well, actually it does. The fact that this happened today and never did back in the day does indicate a decrease in power and strength.

that lcn is by far weaker than the 1960s it is not a new thing, they repeated it 1 million times, but this hit has nothing to do with its decline etc.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: OakAsFan] #967517
03/22/19 05:01 PM
03/22/19 05:01 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Comello's alpha as fuck. He didn't cuck out when some mob boss told him he couldn't have the girl he wanted...

With all the latent machismo and testosterone on this forum when it comes to gangsters, I'm kind of surprised Comello isn't getting his dues for punking out Cali. Kid has some pair of balls on him.

Kid is going to be a legend in prison.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967519
03/22/19 05:06 PM
03/22/19 05:06 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
*Kid is going to get legendarily shanked in prison.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Moe_Tilden] #967521
03/22/19 05:14 PM
03/22/19 05:14 PM
S
spartan Offline
Button
spartan  Offline
S
Button
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden

With all the latent machismo and testosterone on this forum when it comes to gangsters, I'm kind of surprised Comello isn't getting his dues for punking out Cali. Kid has some pair of balls on him.

A "legend" with a shelf life smaller than the spam you eat. What a troll you are.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Stubbs] #967523
03/22/19 05:27 PM
03/22/19 05:27 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by Stubbs
If history has taught us anything, it's that anyone at anytime can be killed by anyone. We've had people like JFK (a president!), RFK, and MLK gunned down by random nutjobs, and they had their bodyguards. Even Joe Colombo was gunned down in a public place, and he had an army of street guys surrounding him. Didn't matter.

Don't forget Oswald was only 24 when he killed Kennedy. People latch on to these wild conspiracy theories about these killings because the conspiracies almost more comforting that someone super powerful was taken down by some shadowy group. We like to think that there's something bigger at play, like CIA or military conspiracy theories. The idea that someone that powerful could be gunned down by some loner d-bag acting alone like Oswald or Comello is almost scarier than the conspiracies... the idea that presidents, mob bosses, and kings are mortal just like the rest of us and can be taken out by anyone else as easy as swatting a fly.

The reason Cali felt safe and didn't need bodyguards is because of how intense the NYPD and the Feds are in keeping a lid on crime and violence in NYC. The Mob had to adjust to the heavy police presence over the past two decades (since Guiliani) and had to put a stop to the killings (or, most of them) in NYC. Nowadays killings are rare in the mob. I mean, Cali had no reason to fear a mob hit because mob hits (at least internal mob hits) don't happen any more. Not to mention how strict the gun laws are these days in NY.

So in response to the heavy police presence, violence is down and mob-diplomacy is up. So why the hell wouldn't Cali open his door unarmed? Makes total sense. And in his mind, who's going to take a shot at him? Someone wants to take him on it's a 100% death sentence, either when they're locked up or on the street. So he thinks anyone who wants to take a shot couldn't be stupid enough to do it because they could never get away clean. But this wasn't a "mob hit" in the traditional sense... this wasn't some rival trying to take power or get revenge. It's just some punk kid with a half-assed plan who had no shot in hell of getting away with the crime... and he's gonna get shanked if he ever leaves protective custody.

You bring good points.

Don't necessarily agree that he'll get shanked in prison. There have got to be plenty of prisons that don't have much of a mob presence. If he does get shanked it'll be because prison staff aren't doing their jobs.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Moe_Tilden] #967537
03/22/19 09:13 PM
03/22/19 09:13 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss

Frogs vs. the mob.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Moe_Tilden] #967539
03/22/19 09:35 PM
03/22/19 09:35 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss

He's gonna be the next Ricky Spanish, lol.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Moe_Tilden] #967546
03/23/19 12:09 AM
03/23/19 12:09 AM
>>>OVA THERE
njcapo35 Offline
BANNED
njcapo35  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
>>>OVA THERE
Kid has some pair of balls on him.

Originally Posted by njcapo35
Moe's just....yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda. Yadda yadda yadda yadda.* flaming remarks edited out.

*njcapo, despite being warned against flaming chose to ignore the warnings. He decided he'd rather be a rude bore than post here. He is banned.

Last edited by SC; 03/23/19 01:07 AM. Reason: remove flaming remarks

"Jersey...It's where my story begins."
Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967548
03/23/19 04:05 AM
03/23/19 04:05 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
N.Y.has very strict gun laws. They worked so well. Let this be an example. When someone wants to kill you, you will die. If you're not packing in Florida you're the odd man out.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: Moe_Tilden] #967549
03/23/19 04:13 AM
03/23/19 04:13 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Originally Posted by Stubbs

You bring good points.

Don't necessarily agree that he'll get shanked in prison. There have got to be plenty of prisons that don't have much of a mob presence. If he does get shanked it'll be because prison staff aren't doing their jobs.

Do you remember in breaking bad when Walt pay the nazi to kill the men in prison? After Comello will be in prison the gambinos can easly pay the most powerful gang in the prison to whack him.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967567
03/23/19 02:34 PM
03/23/19 02:34 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
If gun laws aren't being enforced then the problem must be with law enforcement.

Re: The Cali hit got me thinking [Re: matteodenaro] #967644
03/24/19 12:58 PM
03/24/19 12:58 PM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
Is there a chance Comello will always be in PC? Assuming that's the case it will certainly be much harder to get to him. I mean will they just release this kid into Gen pop? Probably not anytime soon right? Maybe never?

"Thank God for the American Jury System" - Nicky Scarfo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull