GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Lenox, RushStreet, Irishman12, 1 invisible), 93 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,182
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Turnbull] #963939
02/13/19 09:49 PM
02/13/19 09:49 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by Revis_Island

Who do you think was Michael’s toughest adversary?

Roth, without a doubt. He was incredibly clever and resourceful.

Gotta go with Roth too.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Evita] #963940
02/13/19 09:50 PM
02/13/19 09:50 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Evita
No doubt Roth was incredibly clever and resourceful in Godfather 2

I reckon, in terms of most irreparable permanent damage and most significant adverse turn of events were caused by

Godfather – Carlo and Fabrizio
Godfather 2 – Fredo and Rocco failing to secure Tahoe
Godfather 3 – Vincent including failing to secure the safety of the Corleones

Why did Michael have Rocco kill Roth if he was a high ranking member of the family? Was it revenge for not keeping the compound secure?

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963997
02/14/19 06:40 PM
02/14/19 06:40 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I recall Michael Franzese saying The Godfather wasn’t realistic because Tom was consigliere. But he obviously neglected to point out that Vito ignored any objections and issues that the other families had with him elevating Tom to such a high position within the family because A) He was his son, and most importantly B) He was extremely capable.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #964221
02/18/19 02:03 AM
02/18/19 02:03 AM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
imo not taking the time forward so much
they should have made it closer to no 2
or change the script completely

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: MeyerLansky] #964342
02/20/19 09:24 AM
02/20/19 09:24 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by MeyerLansky
imo not taking the time forward so much
they should have made it closer to no 2
or change the script completely

I think parts of the story, script and time period could have worked. But I wholeheartedly agree. That was one of the gripes that Coppola had, I think he wanted around 6 months or so to write a script but because he was at the studio’s mercy(his previous movies had flopped) they only gave him 2 months.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #968971
04/09/19 12:33 AM
04/09/19 12:33 AM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
FFC should have offered Robert Duval an offer he couldn't refuse.

Where's Luca Brasi when you need him !!

I know... he sleeps with the fishes.

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #977339
08/22/19 11:07 AM
08/22/19 11:07 AM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
How about this? The strong points in the GFI & GFII was the attention to detail in depicting the Corleone family in the past. GFIII, basically set in the present time. Just doesn't quite hold the same interest.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: johnny ola] #977340
08/22/19 12:06 PM
08/22/19 12:06 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by johnny ola
How about this? The strong points in the GFI & GFII was the attention to detail in depicting the Corleone family in the past. GFIII, basically set in the present time. Just doesn't quite hold the same interest.

One could make a case that I&II largely portrayed Vito and Michael in control despite the travails they faced. One had confidence that they would successfully meet the challenges they faced. However, in III, Michael's control seemed tenuous and the challenges he faced required help to overcome.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: olivant] #977346
08/22/19 03:31 PM
08/22/19 03:31 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally Posted by olivant
Originally Posted by johnny ola

One could make a case that I&II largely portrayed Vito and Michael in control despite the travails they faced. One had confidence that they would successfully meet the challenges they faced. However, in III, Michael's control seemed tenuous and the challenges he faced required help to overcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-IkWpm7TS0

I got the impression that Michael finally got the point of being considered legitimate. "Kay, my father's way of doing things is over -- it's finished. Even he knows that. I mean in
five years, the Corleone Family is going to be completely legitimate. Trust me. That's all I can tell you about my business". A promise he made to Kay upon his return to the USA. I think he wanted to just bask in the glory of being a philanthropist, especially with the Catholic Church.

I read somewhere that FFC really didn't want to do a GFIII. He basically did it for the money to start his winery. I found many of the scenes in GFIII repeated from previous GF's i.e. the family group picture, family events wedding/first Holy Communion.

This topic has been discussed many times in the past. The best opinion that I read was by itself it would have been a great film. It just had the misfortune of being naturally compared to the first two.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #978409
09/19/19 11:10 PM
09/19/19 11:10 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Some, much, or perhaps all of III was forced. Whether FFC produced it for want of cash or pursuant to we fans' demands, or just because it seemed the thing to do, there was no natural storyline that FFC could follow as there was from I to II.

Maybe FFC figured that we fans would want to know what happened to Michael et all. If so, perhaps he could have produced a one hour documentary that answered our questions. Of course, he couldn't just do that; he had to try to produce an epic that at least attempted to emulate the previous two films.

You know, when I watch the documentaries on TV about the Mafia in the 30s, 40s, 50s (and even somewhat into the 60s), I have a certain feeling about it that is so different from what I feel when I watch a Mafia documentary about the 70s, 80s, and the present. Those latter decades documentaries (what they document) just seem so cheap by comparison. Gotti and Massino simply don't rise to the level of Luciano, Genovese, Costello, or Gambino.

Now, scum of the Earth are just that no matter during what decade they are scum. However, there was something substantial about the early decades' Mafiosi that recent Mafiosi can't even come close to. In I and II, Michael et al had that substance. In III, they just plain didn't. That's the big cognitive problem; we had I and II with which to compare III. III's plots were contrived. Murder is bad enough, but why or why incest?

So, what could have made III better? Maybe just don't make it.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: olivant] #978454
09/21/19 09:49 AM
09/21/19 09:49 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
It should have been made more timely instead of Coppola hemming and hawing for sixteen years. For those of us old enough to remember, those sixteen years felt like an eternity. It's not like today where you get a sequel in a series every two or three years. Plus, I think it would have behooved them to set the film in the sixties rather than the late seventies. Throw in a different plot, maybe something akin to the Colombo war (the Rosatos, who were loosely based on the Gallo brothers, seemingly survived Part II), and let the Corleones win decisively. Pacino was quoted as saying that no one wanted to see a weak Michael, let alone lose his daughter. And he was right.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: pizzaboy] #980990
11/15/19 04:37 PM
11/15/19 04:37 PM
Westchester
Frankie_Five_Angels Offline
Made Member
Frankie_Five_Angels  Offline
Made Member
Westchester
Could've started with better casting/luck. Eli Wallach as Don Altobello and Sofia Coppola as Mary, were just horrible decisions... Due to illness or not, they were just not believable in their roles. Thats what killed the movie for me.

"I'll give you undignified. Go fuck yourself. You, Phil... whoever. He's my fuckin' cousin."

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents"..
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: pizzaboy] #980992
11/15/19 04:48 PM
11/15/19 04:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by pizzaboy
It should have been made more timely instead of Coppola hemming and hawing for sixteen years. For those of us old enough to remember, those sixteen years felt like an eternity. It's not like today where you get a sequel in a series every two or three years. Plus, I think it would have behooved them to set the film in the sixties rather than the late seventies. Throw in a different plot, maybe something akin to the Colombo war (the Rosatos, who were loosely based on the Gallo brothers, seemingly survived Part II), and let the Corleones win decisively. Pacino was quoted as saying that no one wanted to see a weak Michael, let alone lose his daughter. And he was right.

PB, basically I agree with you especially about setting it in the 60s and basing it on actual mob events such as the Columbo and Bananas Wars. Letting the Corleones win decisively would have sealed it too by making Michael (regrettably) the family's savior.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull