GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (British, joepuzzles234, m2w, 1 invisible), 67 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,318
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,670
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,497
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,264
Posts1,057,456
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What could have made Godfather 3 better? #962560
01/27/19 07:22 PM
01/27/19 07:22 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
What could they have done differently in Godfather 3 to make it a classic like the 1st and 2nd? I thought the story was pretty good but just maybe not executed very well.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962562
01/27/19 07:36 PM
01/27/19 07:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
What could they have done differently in Godfather 3 to make it a classic like the 1st and 2nd? I thought the story was pretty good but just maybe not executed very well.

Recast it; remove the incest storyline; reword some of the dialogue.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: olivant] #962590
01/28/19 01:31 AM
01/28/19 01:31 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by olivant

Recast it; remove the incest storyline; reword some of the dialogue.

I thought Andy Garcia was great. Some of the characters were a little boring to me though, I will say.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962620
01/28/19 11:05 AM
01/28/19 11:05 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I think if FFC's original plan of having Winona Ryder play Mary had worked out, it would have made a huge difference.

Sofia Coppola was so terrible it kind of ruined what should have been a heart-rending conclusion.

It wouldn't have made GFIII anywhere near as good as the first two installments but it would have spackeled over a lot of the film's problems.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962626
01/28/19 03:03 PM
01/28/19 03:03 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I didn’t even know she was in the running. James Caan said that FFC was going through a lot of problems in his personal life when he made the movie so that may have played a role too

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962661
01/29/19 09:50 AM
01/29/19 09:50 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
I didn’t even know she was in the running. James Caan said that FFC was going through a lot of problems in his personal life when he made the movie so that may have played a role too

Yeah, she was actually hired but had some medical problems and had to drop out.

They needed to fill the role on extremely short notice, so they ended up with the director's daughter instead of an actual actress.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962682
01/29/19 04:36 PM
01/29/19 04:36 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Do you think that part of it could’ve been because the 4 hour long movie had run its course already too? For instance, today I am unsure if The Godfather 1 and 2 would garner as much attention because today’s generation would not sit through a 4 hour long movie. And in the 1990s, I think it was somewhat like that as well.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962699
01/29/19 10:18 PM
01/29/19 10:18 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Another thing, do you think that they could’ve explained Vinny’s background a little better? He kind of just ascended from soldier to boss. Didn’t even have to become a captain or anything. And it seemed as though Michael didn’t even really know him. And I think his role was the best part of the movie. I thought the feud between Zasa and Mancini was amazing.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962738
01/30/19 03:28 PM
01/30/19 03:28 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
By the way, I watched Making of the Mob last night. In it Vito Genovese begins an affair with his cousin. Is this affair the prompt for FFC's inclusion of the Vincent/Mary affair?

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: olivant] #962771
01/30/19 10:44 PM
01/30/19 10:44 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by olivant
By the way, I watched Making of the Mob last night. In it Vito Genovese begins an affair with his cousin. Is this affair the prompt for FFC's inclusion of the Vincent/Mary affair?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that. I’m not too knowledgeable on Genovese though. But I don’t think so. I wonder what the motivation was for that whole plot line. Vinny was such a great character. No need to waste some of his screen time with this boring and bizarre subplot.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962966
02/01/19 06:55 PM
02/01/19 06:55 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
Tom Hagan. The studio lowballed Robert Duvall, and I'm guessing this is why Pacino phoned in his performance. Pacino didn't even try to play Michael Corleone. He was just basically being 90s Pacino.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: OakAsFan] #962998
02/02/19 02:23 AM
02/02/19 02:23 AM
Australia
L
Lana Offline
The Hunted One
Lana  Offline
The Hunted One
L
Underboss
Australia
Stone/s! in my shoe, among others -

1. No Tom Hagen [no brainer]
2. Weak and stupid Michael
3. Sonny's or even Connie's son/s as power struggle schemers instead of inventing Vincent

I felt Sofia was alright especially compared to the performances of quite a few of the seasoned actors....

"The studio lowballed Robert Duvall" indeed

Robert Duvall felt the pay gap between Al Pacino and him was unacceptable
Robert Duvall-Seth Meyers interview

Al Pacino on The Godfather: Part III (1990)

Al Pacino - Biography - IMDb
under 'Personal Quotes' -

You know what the problem with that film is? The real problem?

Nobody wants to see Michael have retribution and feel guilty. That's not who he is. In the other scripts, in Michael's mind he is avenging his family and saving them.

Michael never thinks of himself as a gangster - not as a child, not while he is one and not afterward. That is not the image he has of himself.

SPOILER
He's not a part of the [Goodfellas (1990)] thing.

Michael has this code: he lives by something that makes audiences respond. But once he goes away from that and starts crying over coffins, making confessions and feeling remorse, it isn't right.

I applaud [Francis Ford Coppola] for trying to get to that, but Michael is so frozen in that image.

There is in him a deep feeling of having betrayed his mother by killing his brother. That was a mistake. And we are ruled by these mistakes in life as time goes on. He was wrong.

SPOILER
Like in [Scarface (1983)] when Tony kills Manny - that is wrong and he pays for it. And in his way, Michael pays for it.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963322
02/05/19 07:13 PM
02/05/19 07:13 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
I reckon it is Turnbull's and his mantra Crime doesn't pay fault!!

After Turnbull's mantra, Coppola had no choice but to make Michael pay dearly, deeply, resulting in his beloved daughter Mary's death and his own lonely, miserable death

He had to show Crime doesn't pay “Your sins are terrible and it is just that you suffer” beyond redemption...

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Lana] #963429
02/07/19 01:37 PM
02/07/19 01:37 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Lana
Stone/s! in my shoe, among others -

1. No Tom Hagen [no brainer]
2. Weak and stupid Michael
3. Sonny's or even Connie's son/s as power struggle schemers instead of inventing Vincent

I felt Sofia was alright especially compared to the performances of quite a few of the seasoned actors....

"The studio lowballed Robert Duvall" indeed

Robert Duvall felt the pay gap between Al Pacino and him was unacceptable
Robert Duvall-Seth Meyers interview

Al Pacino on The Godfather: Part III (1990)

Al Pacino - Biography - IMDb
under 'Personal Quotes' -

You know what the problem with that film is? The real problem?

Nobody wants to see Michael have retribution and feel guilty. That's not who he is. In the other scripts, in Michael's mind he is avenging his family and saving them.

Michael never thinks of himself as a gangster - not as a child, not while he is one and not afterward. That is not the image he has of himself.

SPOILER
He's not a part of the [Goodfellas (1990)] thing.

Michael has this code: he lives by something that makes audiences respond. But once he goes away from that and starts crying over coffins, making confessions and feeling remorse, it isn't right.

I applaud [Francis Ford Coppola] for trying to get to that, but Michael is so frozen in that image.

There is in him a deep feeling of having betrayed his mother by killing his brother. That was a mistake. And we are ruled by these mistakes in life as time goes on. He was wrong.

SPOILER
Like in [Scarface (1983)] when Tony kills Manny - that is wrong and he pays for it. And in his way, Michael pays for it.

I agree with everything. But I really did think Vinny was a great character. Maybe they could’ve made him Connie’s son or Sonny’s son with his wife and not his mistress. But I didn’t have a problem with that.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: OakAsFan] #963430
02/07/19 01:38 PM
02/07/19 01:38 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Tom Hagan. The studio lowballed Robert Duvall, and I'm guessing this is why Pacino phoned in his performance. Pacino didn't even try to play Michael Corleone. He was just basically being 90s Pacino.

Pacino’s performance was terrible. Michael was so focused in 1 and 2. Especially after Vito’s shooting. He was the opposite of that in the 3rd. But maybe that’s what Coppola wanted.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963431
02/07/19 01:39 PM
02/07/19 01:39 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Side question, what mobster was Michael based on if any? Or what mobster do you think Michael mirrored whether intentionally or unintentionally?

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963487
02/07/19 11:02 PM
02/07/19 11:02 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
No one. Several Dons attempted to have one of their sons succeed them, but none of the sons was anywhere near as successful as Michael. Looked at as a "stand-alone," Michael has no parallels in Mobdom. You might say that Joe Columbo, like Michael, attempted to make himself appear "legitimate," but that's where the comparison fails.

I'd like to hear from others on this board.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Turnbull] #963494
02/08/19 01:15 AM
02/08/19 01:15 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by Turnbull
No one. Several Dons attempted to have one of their sons succeed them, but none of the sons was anywhere near as successful as Michael. Looked at as a "stand-alone," Michael has no parallels in Mobdom. You might say that Joe Columbo, like Michael, attempted to make himself appear "legitimate," but that's where the comparison fails.

I'd like to hear from others on this board.

Pretty much my opinion also. The Bonannos come the closest though to the father/son duo. Like Michael, Bill was forced into the life too early and probably somewhat reluctantly. However, once in, Bill's fortunes significantly depart from Michael's.

One significant difference is Bill's hesitancy to strike back against Maggadino et al while Michael wants to jump right in: "We can't wait."

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963542
02/08/19 08:35 PM
02/08/19 08:35 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I was talking more as a stand-alone. But as far as his cunningness, I think Gambino could be a good comparison. Maybe Lucchese. I’m surprised more people within the Corleone family didn’t have a problem with Michael jumping all of them to be named boss just because he was the son of Vito. Obviously the right choice was made but I can see why some people might’ve felt like Michael was just a spoiled kid who didn’t put in enough work and didn’t deserve to be boss. Tessio was handled, maybe everyone in the family fell in line after that.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963573
02/09/19 02:43 AM
02/09/19 02:43 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I’m surprised more people within the Corleone family didn’t have a problem with Michael jumping all of them to be named boss just because he was the son of Vito. Obviously the right choice was made but I can see why some people might’ve felt like Michael was just a spoiled kid who didn’t put in enough work and didn’t deserve to be boss. Tessio was handled, maybe everyone in the family fell in line after that.

No one would question Vito's choice, but the novel points out that many (in and out of the family) thought Michael put in "a bravura performance against the Turk and McCluskey," but he lacked "force." Tessio obviously carried that thought to the extreme when he betrayed Michael.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Turnbull] #963615
02/09/19 04:00 PM
02/09/19 04:00 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I’m surprised more people within the Corleone family didn’t have a problem with Michael jumping all of them to be named boss just because he was the son of Vito. Obviously the right choice was made but I can see why some people might’ve felt like Michael was just a spoiled kid who didn’t put in enough work and didn’t deserve to be boss. Tessio was handled, maybe everyone in the family fell in line after that.

No one would question Vito's choice, but the novel points out that many (in and out of the family) thought Michael put in "a bravura performance against the Turk and McCluskey," but he lacked "force." Tessio obviously carried that thought to the extreme when he betrayed Michael.

I never read the novel. Maybe I should.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Turnbull] #963616
02/09/19 04:50 PM
02/09/19 04:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

All true TB. However, as the novel states, "Tessio had a better opinion of Michael. He sensed something else in the young man: a force cleverly kept hidden, a man jealously guarding his true strength from public gaze ..."

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: olivant] #963655
02/10/19 01:28 PM
02/10/19 01:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You're right, Oli. But, at the end of the day, Tessio threw in with Barzini because he didn't think Michael would win.

Underestimation is a major subtheme of the Trilogy. Vito underestimated Solozzo. Sol underestimated Michael. Sonny underestimated Carlo. The other Dons underestimated Michael. Michael underestimated Roth. Roth underestimated Michael. Michael underestimated Fredo. Michael underestimated Altobello. Vincent underestimated Mosca and overestimated The Twins...As Vito said; "Women and children can afford to be careless. But not men.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Turnbull] #963679
02/10/19 07:03 PM
02/10/19 07:03 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
You're right, Oli. But, at the end of the day, Tessio threw in with Barzini because he didn't think Michael would win.

Underestimation is a major subtheme of the Trilogy. Vito underestimated Solozzo. Sol underestimated Michael. Sonny underestimated Carlo. The other Dons underestimated Michael. Michael underestimated Roth. Roth underestimated Michael. Michael underestimated Fredo. Michael underestimated Altobello. Vincent underestimated Mosca and overestimated The Twins...As Vito said; "Women and children can afford to be careless. But not men.

Who do you think was Michael’s toughest adversary?

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963798
02/12/19 06:25 AM
02/12/19 06:25 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Andy Garcia could have played the victorious schemer, the horse riding, Joey Zasa ear biter and slayer, keeping the theme going
Vincent pop-up story was too lazy and his ascension to Don Corleone too easy, no other contenders in the current story

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Capri] #963818
02/12/19 12:23 PM
02/12/19 12:23 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by Capri
Andy Garcia could have played the victorious schemer, the horse riding, Joey Zasa ear biter and slayer, keeping the theme going
Vincent pop-up story was too lazy and his ascension to Don Corleone too easy, no other contenders in the current story

That’s actually how I felt about Michael in Godfather 1 but it was made apparent to me that the novel elaborates on his climb up the ranks more than the movie.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963819
02/12/19 12:26 PM
02/12/19 12:26 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Another question I have is, did they ever say what businesses exactly helped Michael accumulate such immense wealth? He was going to buy shares for $600 million and donated $100 million in the beginning of the movie. I’m assuming that the olive oil business did not earn the majority of that.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963830
02/12/19 01:30 PM
02/12/19 01:30 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.

Rocco.

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #963844
02/12/19 03:26 PM
02/12/19 03:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

Roth, without a doubt. He was incredibly clever and resourceful.

Re: What could have made Godfather 3 better? [Re: Turnbull] #963867
02/12/19 09:13 PM
02/12/19 09:13 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
No doubt Roth was incredibly clever and resourceful in Godfather 2

I reckon, in terms of most irreparable permanent damage and most significant adverse turn of events were caused by

Godfather – Carlo and Fabrizio
Godfather 2 – Fredo and Rocco failing to secure Tahoe
Godfather 3 – Vincent including failing to secure the safety of the Corleones

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull