GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 97 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,703
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,727
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961646
01/14/19 09:16 PM
01/14/19 09:16 PM
J
JC Offline
Made Member
JC  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted by Revis_Island
Originally Posted by furio_from_naples
Carlo Gambino become so powerful because yes,was smart but was sicilian and in the 1950s most of the family boss was sicilian and/or was born and emigrated to america so thanks to this net he can expand the family rackets,a thing that a boss like costello that was calabrian or genovese that,worst, was neapolitan wouldn't do.

Why wouldn’t Genovese or Costello not be able to expand the family rackets because of that? And Costello was northern Calabrese I believe which was closer to campania. Southern Calabria is more like Sicily in dialect and culture I’m assuming. And I would think that both Costello and Genovese had a lot of support from Sicilian mobsters within their crime families in order to become bosses no? My family is from Sicily and I’ve never understood the differences growing up.

No offense, but that statement makes absolutely no sense. The Genovese, particularly with Costello, had more expansive rackets than anyone else in American LCN other than maybe Chicago. They were one of the first families involved in Florida, California, Reno and Las Vegas. They were the only outside family to ever have anything in New Orleans. They were the only east cost family that I know of to be in Newport, Kentucky. They were first into places that the primarily Sicilian Gambinos would never operate in. The regions where their bosses came from did nothing to hold them back. Even if there was some prejudice because of it, which I don't think that there was, they more than made up for it with their network of Jewish associates, something again that the Gambinos never had. The Genovese never had trouble expanding anywhere in the US, or outside of the US, no matter who the boss was.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: JC] #961652
01/14/19 11:25 PM
01/14/19 11:25 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by JC
Carlo Gambino become so powerful because yes,was smart but was sicilian and in the 1950s most of the family boss was sicilian and/or was born and emigrated to america so thanks to this net he can expand the family rackets,a thing that a boss like costello that was calabrian or genovese that,worst, was neapolitan wouldn't do.

Why wouldn’t Genovese or Costello not be able to expand the family rackets because of that? And Costello was northern Calabrese I believe which was closer to campania. Southern Calabria is more like Sicily in dialect and culture I’m assuming. And I would think that both Costello and Genovese had a lot of support from Sicilian mobsters within their crime families in order to become bosses no? My family is from Sicily and I’ve never understood the differences growing up.

No offense, but that statement makes absolutely no sense. The Genovese, particularly with Costello, had more expansive rackets than anyone else in American LCN other than maybe Chicago. They were one of the first families involved in Florida, California, Reno and Las Vegas. They were the only outside family to ever have anything in New Orleans. They were the only east cost family that I know of to be in Newport, Kentucky. They were first into places that the primarily Sicilian Gambinos would never operate in. The regions where their bosses came from did nothing to hold them back. Even if there was some prejudice because of it, which I don't think that there was, they more than made up for it with their network of Jewish associates, something again that the Gambinos never had. The Genovese never had trouble expanding anywhere in the US, or outside of the US, no matter who the boss was.

Great points

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: BensonHURST] #961653
01/14/19 11:29 PM
01/14/19 11:29 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
@BensonHURST How did Vinny Gorgeous get his hands on that money exactly? I wasn’t even aware that he was involved whatsoever because I thought it was orchestrated by members of the Lucchese family more so than any other family. But I knew the Gambino’s had a hand in it as well. Didn’t know about the Bonnano’s.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961654
01/15/19 12:09 AM
01/15/19 12:09 AM
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NYC
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Burke paid off Gotti $250K because that was Gambino's end of the entire racket @ JFK.

Anthony Indelicato son of Sonny Red Indelicato (The 3 Capos) is married to Cathy Burke, daughter of James Burke.

She was in care of James Burke's Monies from the heist between $1MM and $2MM and Anthony conned her into believing that he and Vinny Gorgeous were going to invest it and flip it to earn additional monies, they finally convinced her to turn it over. They invested a small amount into a B.S. business venture the rest Basciano and Indelicato blew at the craps game.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: JC] #961655
01/15/19 12:13 AM
01/15/19 12:13 AM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Originally Posted by JC
Carlo Gambino become so powerful because yes,was smart but was sicilian and in the 1950s most of the family boss was sicilian and/dor was born and emigrated to america so thanks to this net he can expand the family rackets,a thing that a boss like costello that was calabrian or genovese that,worst, was neapolitan wouldn't do.

One of the other basis of Luciano forming the 5 families and the commission was because the "MUSTASCHE PETE'S" refused to work with anyone other than Sicilians. Luciano opened everything up and partnered with the Jews, IRISH and other ethnic groups across America and abroad.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961660
01/15/19 03:48 AM
01/15/19 03:48 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
@m2w I see some or the cash amounts from seizures by law enforcement on some of the top Sicilian and Camorra members from that time and it’s mind boggling. They started to get into the heroin and cocaine trade in the late 1970s? Is that when they really took over?

they were involved in drugs also before but the market was smaller, sicilian mafia started to produce heroin in sicily that was the most lucrative at that time supplying both europe and north america
but what make them so powerful was the connections into italian government and the freemasons, thanks to it they infiltrated heavily the construction business, managing the public works and the waste disposal

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961666
01/15/19 09:56 AM
01/15/19 09:56 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Online content
furio_from_naples  Online Content

naples,italy

I don't say that Costello and Genovese wasnt able to expansed their rackets but tgey used irish and Jew gangsters because some old sicilian mafiosi had a prejudice on them.
For Calabria,Campania and Sicily it are very different but today there arent so many prejudices but the sicilian mafia considerate for years the camorra and ndrangheta as inferior because less organizated. And today more Calabrians say that the Signa welcome to italy stay in Calabria and that the sicily is part of africa.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: BensonHURST] #961693
01/15/19 03:06 PM
01/15/19 03:06 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Burke's daughter also had a big hand in spending that loot , even though rumor has it that some luccs & bonnanos extorted her of a lot of it.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: m2w] #961707
01/15/19 05:29 PM
01/15/19 05:29 PM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Originally Posted by m2w
@m2w I see some or the cash amounts from seizures by law enforcement on some of the top Sicilian and Camorra members from that time and it’s mind boggling. They started to get into the heroin and cocaine trade in the late 1970s? Is that when they really took over?

they were involved in drugs also before but the market was smaller, sicilian mafia started to produce heroin in sicily that was the most lucrative at that time supplying both europe and north america
but what make them so powerful was the connections into italian government and the freemasons, thanks to it they infiltrated heavily the construction business, managing the public works and the waste disposal

FreeMasons?

Tell me more?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: furio_from_naples] #961725
01/15/19 09:27 PM
01/15/19 09:27 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss

I don't say that Costello and Genovese wasnt able to expansed their rackets but tgey used irish and Jew gangsters because some old sicilian mafiosi had a prejudice on them.
For Calabria,Campania and Sicily it are very different but today there arent so many prejudices but the sicilian mafia considerate for years the camorra and ndrangheta as inferior because less organizated. And today more Calabrians say that the Signa welcome to italy stay in Calabria and that the sicily is part of africa.

That sounds so childish because Calabria and Sicily practically border each other and from what I’ve read, even share the same dialect. It’s actually funny lol.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: BensonHURST] #961726
01/15/19 09:28 PM
01/15/19 09:28 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by BensonHURST
Burke paid off Gotti $250K because that was Gambino's end of the entire racket @ JFK.

Anthony Indelicato son of Sonny Red Indelicato (The 3 Capos) is married to Cathy Burke, daughter of James Burke.

She was in care of James Burke's Monies from the heist between $1MM and $2MM and Anthony conned her into believing that he and Vinny Gorgeous were going to invest it and flip it to earn additional monies, they finally convinced her to turn it over. They invested a small amount into a B.S. business venture the rest Basciano and Indelicato blew at the craps game.

What a shame.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: m2w] #961731
01/15/19 09:41 PM
01/15/19 09:41 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by m2w

Did any of the three organizations in Italy ever compare to the Medellin cartel under Escobar?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961742
01/16/19 03:39 AM
01/16/19 03:39 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy

That sounds so childish because Calabria and Sicily practically border each other and from what I’ve read, even share the same dialect. It’s actually funny lol.

Revis_Island this is not true,even if Calabria and Sicily border each other they were different as for dialect that for the other things (Im italian and can say the difference between the two dialects) for the oc the Calabrians was focused until the 1990 on the kidnappings and after when the mafia declared war to the italian state,the ndrine used the bilion that made with kidnappings for replace cosa nostra in drug trade.
The sicilians for example considered the ndrangheta as the gambinos considered the decavalcante aka a peasants because they were only focused in blood ties and had no International links.
That wasnt true and cosa nostra had to ask help for save their men that was in narcos hands because have no money for pay the drug.
Its hard to explane but the proximity is only physical for the rest there is a huge abyss that divides them.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961760
01/16/19 01:33 PM
01/16/19 01:33 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
@Furio I was really only speaking culturally from what I’ve experienced from immigrants hailing from Sicily and Calabria here in America. Not really organized crime. Perfect analogy of how the ndrangheta was looked at however until they really rose to power. Just like the Decavalcante’s. Can you expand on the story about cosa nostra men being trapped in Narcos hands because they didn’t have enough money? Sounds interesting. They didn’t have enough money for the supply they had agreed upon?

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: BarrettM] #961765
01/16/19 01:52 PM
01/16/19 01:52 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Originally Posted by BarrettM
?

There's no such thing as a boss of bosses. Gambino and Lucchese were the best two politicans on the Commission, therefore, they became the most powerful. Then Lucchese died. It's very simple.

Giacomo, why was Rava allowed to have such a gigantic crew? Was he defacto Underboss to Anastasia?

Back then the New York families had 8 to 10 crews, with the 1950s allowing them to crew 1 to 3 more crew due to the books opening up and geographically locations changed. So the big crews became smaller. After Appalachian they split crews up to avoid LE scrutiny some the feds and cops would not know who was with them and what business they owned and controlled.
Correction on Failla, he was in Aurello crew at the time headed by Peter Ferrara, but he was close to Joe Gennero, Joe Paterno and John Riccobono son of Joe Riccobono. When Lucchese passed away Gambino made Failla a capo over half the crew Joe Gennero was running, this was the old Squilante crew. Another member of Anastasia old crew who became a capo was Joseph Colozzo, it is possible he became a Capo during Anastasia reign as boss when the boss opened up to slit the crew into two, or he was made capo after Rava was killed.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961767
01/16/19 02:03 PM
01/16/19 02:03 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
@Furio I was really only speaking culturally from what I’ve experienced from immigrants hailing from Sicily and Calabria here in America. Not really organized crime. Perfect analogy of how the ndrangheta was looked at however until they really rose to power. Just like the Decavalcante’s. Can you expand on the story about cosa nostra men being trapped in Narcos hands because they didn’t have enough money? Sounds interesting. They didn’t have enough money for the supply they had agreed upon?

http://federicovarese.com/blog/garante-tra-cosche-e-narcos-italian-la-stampa-07072013

Roberto Pannunzi was a calabrian broker that buy coke for the ndrangheta and saved a mafioso (I can't find the name) that would be killed because the sicialians doesn't had the money for pay the narcos and bagged Pannunzi to save their man.The Colombians trust the ndrangheta at the point that they sell them even huge quantity of coke without ask for an hostage.Naturally this was a shame for the sicilians.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: BensonHURST] #961780
01/16/19 04:16 PM
01/16/19 04:16 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted by BensonHURST
Originally Posted by m2w

FreeMasons?

Tell me more?

italian organized crime groups were always linked to freemasons since 1800s, some mafiosi are freemasons and in italy there are several occult lodges, like the p2, that was very powerful in the 1980s

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: furio_from_naples] #961782
01/16/19 04:22 PM
01/16/19 04:22 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss

http://federicovarese.com/blog/garante-tra-cosche-e-narcos-italian-la-stampa-07072013

Roberto Pannunzi was a calabrian broker that buy coke for the ndrangheta and saved a mafioso (I can't find the name) that would be killed because the sicialians doesn't had the money for pay the narcos and bagged Pannunzi to save their man.The Colombians trust the ndrangheta at the point that they sell them even huge quantity of coke without ask for an hostage.Naturally this was a shame for the sicilians.

that's happened because italian police seized 600kg of coke and the sicilians thought the colombians stolen it and they didn't pay
lol the colombians are the first to not be trusted at all, theri men in spain sometimes stole drugs and money for multiple groups and go away
last year they stolen the money albanian paid for coke and albanians kidnapped a calabrian because they thought ndrangheta did it, because ndrangheta was intermediator between colombians and albanians, they are just incidents that happens

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961783
01/16/19 04:28 PM
01/16/19 04:28 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
Revis_Island this is not true,even if Calabria and Sicily border each other they were different as for dialect that for the other things (Im italian and can say the difference between the two dialects) for the oc the Calabrians was focused until the 1990 on the kidnappings and after when the mafia declared war to the italian state,the ndrine used the bilion that made with kidnappings for replace cosa nostra in drug trade.
The sicilians for example considered the ndrangheta as the gambinos considered the decavalcante aka a peasants because they were only focused in blood ties and had no International links.
That wasnt true and cosa nostra had to ask help for save their men that was in narcos hands because have no money for pay the drug.
Its hard to explane but the proximity is only physical for the rest there is a huge abyss that divides them.

huge abyss? lol sicily and calabria are similar, southern calabrian dialect is like sicilian dialect from certain areas, all southern italy is similar anyway
northern italians often didn't even understand the difference between sicilians or calabrians, they are same to them

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: furio_from_naples] #961803
01/16/19 07:04 PM
01/16/19 07:04 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss

No retaliation from the Sicilians? I guess there isn’t much to retaliate against though if they were just wrong in the situation.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961805
01/16/19 07:07 PM
01/16/19 07:07 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Did the Genovese have international rackets? I saw someone earlier in the thread say that they did. I know they were in on Cuba.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961809
01/16/19 09:24 PM
01/16/19 09:24 PM
J
JC Offline
Made Member
JC  Offline
J
Made Member
Did the Genovese have international rackets? I saw someone earlier in the thread say that they did. I know they were in on Cuba.

Richie the Boot Boiardo had a casino in Antingua, Charles Tourine and the Lansky group, which would include Alo, were said to have interests in casinos in the Carribean. Tourine and the Lansky group, which included Nesline and Celini among others, supposedly had interests in casinos in the Netherlands and Yugoslavia among other places in Europe. The Genovese through the Lansky group and guys like Joe Pagano were also said to have interests in the casinos in London. Supposedly the Genovese through Gerry Catena and the Lucheses controlled the slot machines throughout England.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961819
01/17/19 05:24 AM
01/17/19 05:24 AM
WhackWhack Offline
Made Member
WhackWhack  Offline
Made Member
@BensonHURST How did Vinny Gorgeous get his hands on that money exactly? I wasn’t even aware that he was involved whatsoever because I thought it was orchestrated by members of the Lucchese family more so than any other family. But I knew the Gambino’s had a hand in it as well. Didn’t know about the Bonnano’s.

According to Cicale, there was a lockbox that Bruno had access to that his wife, Jimmy Burkes daughter had the key to where the Lufthansa money was kept. Vinny and Bruno invested part of the $ in an animated movie featuring Ferrets and the rest they blew at the casinos. Vinny Gorgeous was a compulsive gambler and I assume Bruno was no different being a heavy coke user.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961893
01/18/19 02:38 PM
01/18/19 02:38 PM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Yeah that's what I am talking about.
I think the amount that was invested into the movie was peanuts.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961894
01/18/19 02:40 PM
01/18/19 02:40 PM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
That's KARMA for you

All that BLOOD on that money and it gets blown at a casino.

Burke must have risen from the grave as a spirit
And is probably haunting Vinnie Gorgeous

Last edited by BensonHURST; 01/18/19 02:40 PM.
Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #961895
01/18/19 02:42 PM
01/18/19 02:42 PM
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Remeber that episode of the sopranos when Christopher gets shot and dies for 1 minute.

He said I was in hell I seen my father he said he is an Irish bar and all they play is Irish music all day and all night.

And he loses every hand of cards.

I know he is in he'll.

Lol

Last edited by BensonHURST; 01/18/19 03:15 PM.
Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: JC] #961901
01/18/19 04:34 PM
01/18/19 04:34 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by JC

Richie the Boot Boiardo had a casino in Antingua, Charles Tourine and the Lansky group, which would include Alo, were said to have interests in casinos in the Carribean. Tourine and the Lansky group, which included Nesline and Celini among others, supposedly had interests in casinos in the Netherlands and Yugoslavia among other places in Europe. The Genovese through the Lansky group and guys like Joe Pagano were also said to have interests in the casinos in London. Supposedly the Genovese through Gerry Catena and the Lucheses controlled the slot machines throughout England.

How profitable were all those casinos they owned? Must cost a fortune just to keep the lights on.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: m2w] #961903
01/18/19 04:40 PM
01/18/19 04:40 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by m2w

huge abyss? lol sicily and calabria are similar, southern calabrian dialect is like sicilian dialect from certain areas, all southern italy is similar anyway
northern italians often didn't even understand the difference between sicilians or calabrians, they are same to them

I have heard that the dialect has little to no difference from people.

Last edited by Revis_Island; 01/19/19 11:37 AM.
Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: Revis_Knicks] #962005
01/20/19 05:37 PM
01/20/19 05:37 PM
J
JC Offline
Made Member
JC  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted by JC

How profitable were all those casinos they owned? Must cost a fortune just to keep the lights on.

No idea but I am sure that they figured out a way to make ends meet.

Re: Genovese crime family height of power [Re: JC] #962031
01/20/19 09:32 PM
01/20/19 09:32 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by JC
Originally Posted by JC

No idea but I am sure that they figured out a way to make ends meet.

If Gotti was making tens of millions a year allegedly I wonder how much Costello, Genovese, Luciano and Gambino we’re making in their day.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull