GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,349
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,726
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,813
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: OakAsFan] #953239
09/15/18 09:51 PM
09/15/18 09:51 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Originally Posted by hoodlum
I highly respect Pistone for is accomplishment..alas, until when my wife & I went 2 see him @The Free Library of Phila. 4 a book signing & lecture & he mentioned that he totally supports & respects Lin DeVecchio…...my opinion of him lowered greatly.

DeVecchio was the one who said "We're gonna win this thing" to another agent, while openly rooting for one side in the Colombo war. This is where the Sopranos got the line.

That is correct.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: Beanshooter] #953240
09/15/18 09:54 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by Beanshooter
Originally Posted by MightyDR
HEY DONNIE! HEY DONNIE! YOU FUCKIN RAT! lol

But seriously, I too think Moe summed it up pretty well. The sunglasses and 500k contract thing is getting old, but the guy did an amazing job. However, hoodlum makes a good point that I had forgotten about. The support of DeVecchio.

He also supported Dirty Agent Connolly in Boston.

That also is fact.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: hoodlum] #953241
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
I highly respect Pistone for is accomplishment..alas, until when my wife & I went 2 see him @The Free Library of Phila. 4 a book signing & lecture & he mentioned that he totally supports & respects Lin DeVecchio…...my opinion of him lowered greatly.

DeVecchio was the one who said "We're gonna win this thing" to another agent, while openly rooting for one side in the Colombo war. This is where the Sopranos got the line.

That is correct.

I think there was a reference to it in the Sopranos, in one scene the agent investigating Tony says the same thing in front of his fellow agents after getting word about a killing of a Soprano rival.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #953242
09/15/18 09:55 PM
09/15/18 09:55 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: hoodlum] #953243
09/15/18 10:00 PM
09/15/18 10:00 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
I don't care what anyone says, after reading the credible book "Deal w/ the Devil",Lin Devecchio is worse than Scarpa..a real scumbag..especially after reading about that poor detective Simone that they framed.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: hoodlum] #953247
09/15/18 10:25 PM
09/15/18 10:25 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
I don't care what anyone says, after reading the credible book "Deal w/ the Devil",Lin Devecchio is worse than Scarpa..a real scumbag..especially after reading about that poor detective Simone that they framed.

This is probably the first time we have diametrically opposed opinions H, in my eyes Lance is a propagandist for hire. He did the same kind of work for the Gottis..

And while I absolutely do believe DeVecchio 'crossed the line' more than once in his relationship (he even calls it a friendship) with Scarpa. I do not believe he gave Scarpa info on who, when and where he could kill his enemies in the Colombo war and even before that time with victims like Mari Bari and Joe Brewster..

Btw, in response to other posts: DeVecchio's book was even called WE'RE GOING TO WIN THIS THING.

EDIT:
If I'm completely honest, I have to admit that I'm probably a little biased because I just read DeVecchio's book and I haven't read Lance his book. I only read his book with Junior Gotti and some stuff on his website that I didn't find objective. But Nicky from Tampa also spoke highly of Lance's book about Scarpa, so I'm going to read it because now I'm very curious if it will change my opinion..

Last edited by BillyBrizzi; 09/15/18 10:44 PM.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #953248
09/15/18 10:26 PM
09/15/18 10:26 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Here is a shocking interview with Pistone. The part that he would kill someone is IMHO when Pistone crossed the line. He was not an Agent then he was a gangster. The fact that he would kill someone in furtherance of an investigation is mind boggling. Now it makes sense why he vouches for DelVecchio and Connolly. Surprised he doesnt vouch for the Mob Cops too.

http://www.thechicagosyndicate.com/2007/01/joe-pistone-confesses-to-crimes-as-mob.html

Monday, January 29, 2007
Joe Pistone Confesses to Crimes as Mob Mole
Email This
BlogThis!
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook

Friends of ours: Bonanno Crime Family, Gambino Crime Family, Benjamin "Lefty Guns" Ruggiero, Dominick "Sonny Black" Napolitano, Anthony "Bruno" Indelicato, Carmine Galante
Friends of mine: "Donnie Brasco"

Legendary FBI agent Joe Pistone is confessing for the first time that he broke the law during the years he spent undercover as mob wanna-be Donnie Brasco.

Warehouse burglaries. Beatings. Truck hijackings. And even a conspiracy to murder a Bonanno crime family capo.

In his new memoir, Pistone details the crimes he committed to prove his loyalty to the gang he eventually took down. "Sometimes you have to do stuff you don't normally do, you wouldn't do," Pistone told the Daily News, which got an exclusive peek at "Donnie Brasco: Unfinished Business."

For instance, there was the phone call that came in 1981 when Pistone and his mob buddies were playing cards in Brooklyn's Motion Lounge.

It was a tip that Bonanno big Anthony (Bruno) Indelicato, who took part in the infamous 1979 rubout of Gambino boss Carmine Galante, was camped out on Staten Island.

On the orders of his own capo, Dominick (Sonny Black) Napolitano, Pistone headed out to find Indelicato - with a .25-caliber automatic.

It turned out the caller had bum information, but the former lawman admits he would have pulled the trigger on Indelicato before jeopardizing his life or the operation. "If Bruno's there, he's gone," Pistone writes.

"If I have to put a bullet in his head, I will, and I'll deal with the federal government and the Staten Island DA later. ... There's no doubt they both would charge me for murder. The Bureau would brand me a rogue agent and hang me out."

During his six years infiltrating Sonny Black's vicious crew, Pistone dug up enough evidence to put away nearly 200 mobsters, all while making life-or-death decisions on how far to take his role-playing.

Now 65, the New Jersey native lives with his wife in an unidentified location, but will come out of hiding for a book tour in the coming weeks.

Over the years, Pistone - portrayed by Johnny Depp in the 1997 movie "Donnie Brasco" - has been cagey when discussing how he gained the trust of an insular gang of suspicious men because revealing more could have damaged prosecutions. But his most revealing book to date details the incredible lengths he went to.

Take the beating he delivered on two druggies dumb enough to stick up Pistone and his mob pal Benjamin (Lefty Guns) Ruggiero in the stairwell of a Little Italy walkup. "You just saw two dead punks run down the stairs," Ruggiero told him.

At Ruggiero's urging, Pistone caught up with them a few days later near Little Italy and meted out the punishment. "He hit the pavement as if I'd had a roll of dimes in my right fist," Pistone writes.

"I looked down at the kid on the ground and realized he was out cold and so I sprung suddenly and hauled off an overhand right on the other one and he went down ... "From the kidney blows they bled piss for weeks. And until the breaks healed they had no use of their fingers for such things as shooting a gun."

It was savage, but Pistone says the beating saved their lives. "Otherwise they would have got killed," Pistone said. "Either I go take care of it or they [the mob] will. You don't stick up a wiseguy and live to tell about it." He's quick to point out that the assaults he carried out always involved thieves or other wiseguys. "No citizens got hurt," he said.

Pistone also admits getting cuts of between $2,500 and $5,000 from warehouse burglaries he took part in but says he turned over the money to the FBI.

He doesn't offer details on the hijackings he carried out. But he admits that "my participation in Mafia hijacking has always been an open sore for me, something that I have hesitated to talk about."

Even after 30 years, Pistone is still angry that the FBI didn't let him stay undercover longer so that he could become a made man. "Imagine if I had been made," Pistone writes. "It would have been the biggest humiliation the Mafia had ever suffered. And it was the one chance the FBI would ever have to pull it off.

"Imagine the embarrassment for the Mafia from coast to coast and all the way to Sicily whenthe news got out that the exalted Bonanno crime family had made an agent."

Thanks to Thomas Zambito

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #953265
09/16/18 06:47 AM
09/16/18 06:47 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

It turned out the caller had bum information, but the former lawman admits he would have pulled the trigger on Indelicato before jeopardizing his life or the operation. "If Bruno's there, he's gone," Pistone writes.

"If I have to put a bullet in his head, I will, and I'll deal with the federal government and the Staten Island DA later. ... There's no doubt they both would charge me for murder. The Bureau would brand me a rogue agent and hang me out."

In his defense he never said he would follow through with orders to kill Indelicato or that it was his intent to kill Indelicato. What he was saying is that he would've prioritised his life over Indelicato's if it turned into a life and death situation; he would've used self-defense.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #953266
09/16/18 06:50 AM
09/16/18 06:50 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

@BillyBrizzi

I hear what you're saying re: mob books with a biased narrative and propaganda etc.

It's why I don't plan on reading Junior Gotti's book, or John Alite's book, or the book by Joe Colombo's son.

If I read a book about Gotti written by Jerry Capeci at least I know it will have the cold hard facts, and I won't be putting money in the pockets of a killer or someone who profited in some way from murder.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: Moe_Tilden] #953274
09/16/18 08:29 AM
09/16/18 08:29 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo

Sorry Moe, but I don't see it that way. I get the "jeopardizing his life" part but NOT for the "operation" part.

Last edited by Beanshooter; 09/16/18 09:10 AM.
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #953750
09/21/18 11:40 PM
09/21/18 11:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In the latest AHC episode about Pistone, he says that he was called to a meeting where two Bonanno soldiers accused him of not being a jewel thief and that he might be FBI. His mentor Jilly was there and defended him and Pistone punched one of his accusers.

There's no way to know if these accounts are true. I doubt this one.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: olivant] #953753
09/22/18 01:42 AM
09/22/18 01:42 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by olivant
In the latest AHC episode about Pistone, he says that he was called to a meeting where two Bonanno soldiers accused him of not being a jewel thief and that he might be FBI. His mentor Jilly was there and defended him and Pistone punched one of his accusers.

There's no way to know if these accounts are true. I doubt this one.

He's been telling that story for yrs....I believe it..he says that if he didn't sucker punch the non-made guy, he would have lost face & became (more) un-believable,,never had any identity problems after that ,except ,now Tony Mirra took notice.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #953770
09/22/18 11:42 AM
09/22/18 11:42 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Another claim by Pistone is that he was and is that he is still the target of a $500K mob contract. Have any other sources verified that? Years ago, in another mob related episode, that claim was disputed.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #953777
09/22/18 01:08 PM
09/22/18 01:08 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
Yeah I'm not a big fan of this DeVecchio either.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: OakAsFan] #953782
09/22/18 02:14 PM
09/22/18 02:14 PM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Yeah I'm not a big fan of this DeVecchio either.

Agreed. Look i dont like that Pistone was "going to bat" for Devecchio BUT i still consider them different. Pistone never fell in love with those guys like Devecchio admitted he did. Pistone was there to put those guys in jail and didnt feel any obligation to help them or feel sorry for them. Devecchio admits he had a genuine friendship with the grim reaper and got close to crossing the line(although we know he went past it).

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: olivant] #953832
09/23/18 01:07 AM
09/23/18 01:07 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Another claim by Pistone is that he was and is that he is still the target of a $500K mob contract. Have any other sources verified that? Years ago, in another mob related episode, that claim was disputed.

I think that's water under the bridge, I saw a video of him outside the Motion lounge..& somebody screamed out their car window "f------- rat!...why didn't they stop? like w/ a lot of old stoolies...nobody gives enough a shit ..was 2 long ago..besides , who's gonna fork over that kind of $$ nowadays 4 that old man who was a cop just doin; his job..like Sonny Black said...(..if it was anybody , I'm glad it was him...).

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #953886
09/23/18 02:51 PM
09/23/18 02:51 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
The glasses are a joke, like we wouldn't recognize him without them..But he had big balls...He went after the mob when they had dozens and dozens of killers, not like Garcia going after the weakest crew he could find !!

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: olivant] #953942
09/23/18 11:09 PM
09/23/18 11:09 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss

It's a lie by Pistone. He did a good job getting into that crew, but in trying to capitalize on it he lost his self respect in search of the Almighty dollar and his ego.

Last edited by jace; 09/25/18 04:55 PM.
Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: olivant] #954653
10/03/18 11:10 PM
10/03/18 11:10 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Well, who would you tend to believe? An FBI agent or criminals who lie, cheat, thieve and murder for a living? I know who I'd believe. Even if he's exaggerating, let him, he served his country, and put his ass on the line to put bad people away.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: Moe_Tilden] #954655
10/03/18 11:53 PM
10/03/18 11:53 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden

Well, who would you tend to believe? An FBI agent or criminals who lie, cheat, thieve and murder for a living? I know who I'd believe. Even if he's exaggerating, let him, he served his country, and put his ass on the line to put bad people away.

FBI agnets have been caught lying, cheating, and stealing, plus sending innocent people to prison. Also kidnappings. So they are not believable at all. Pistone lied about a bounty on his head, he's a proven liar.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #954662
10/04/18 05:52 AM
10/04/18 05:52 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Jace,

Firstly I want to apologise publicly for losing my temper and being terse with you before my suspension.

Secondly could you provide instances for what you speak of because I am sincerely interested in learning more about it? Who are these FBI agents you speak of and what kidnappings do you refer to?

Personally I wouldn't label FBI agents like that but that's your prerogative and you are definitely entitled to it. There are outliers in every profession, whether it's the clergy, or the FBI, or charity organisations.

But over 99% of FBI agents do their jobs conscientiously.

The mafia, by definition, are criminals who contribute the sum total of zero to society, and even when they go "legitimate" it's with proceeds from crime and/or a front for criminal endeavours.

Thank you, and again, I reiterate my apologies for the way I spoke to you in the past. I hope we can move forward.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #954667
10/04/18 06:31 AM
10/04/18 06:31 AM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
I have the utmost respect for what Pistone did when he was infiltrating the mob. I do think he kind of exaggerates the danger he is currently in though. The mob does not usually harm cops, most of those guys are dead or on jail and it's been several decades. That being said, the man had balls to go undercover around people who were more than capable of killing.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: night_timer] #954670
10/04/18 07:08 AM
10/04/18 07:08 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Why wouldn't he exaggerate it, though? It's his gimmick. He makes dough from it and he's entitled to. Look at it as a wink and nod. As you say, he had brass balls to do what he did. He did a commendable job at washing a little scum off the streets and he didn't do it behind a desk, he was on the frontline, putting his ass on the line for people like you and me.

Re: Do you respect Joe Pistone, then and now [Re: Moe_Tilden] #954750
10/04/18 10:59 PM
10/04/18 10:59 PM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
Jace,

Firstly I want to apologise publicly for losing my temper and being terse with you before my suspension.

Secondly could you provide instances for what you speak of because I am sincerely interested in learning more about it? Who are these FBI agents you speak of and what kidnappings do you refer to?

Personally I wouldn't label FBI agents like that but that's your prerogative and you are definitely entitled to it. There are outliers in every profession, whether it's the clergy, or the FBI, or charity organisations.

But over 99% of FBI agents do their jobs conscientiously.

The mafia, by definition, are criminals who contribute the sum total of zero to society, and even when they go "legitimate" it's with proceeds from crime and/or a front for criminal endeavours.

Thank you, and again, I reiterate my apologies for the way I spoke to you in the past. I hope we can move forward.

Fine with me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull