GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 90 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,162
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? #951397
08/27/18 12:16 AM
08/27/18 12:16 AM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
After reading and watching everything i can about philly during that period that Bruno was killed and phil Testa took over i still dont know why a guy as street smart as Testa chose Pete Casella as underboss. I know new york told him to give nicky the underboss spot or consigliere but at least he had a long history with scarfo. Casella had just gotten out of prison for drug dealing and from what i can tell Didnt have a history with testa or was a big earner. I remember Phil Leonetti said that the decision was met with shock and bewilderment

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: JCrusher] #951407
08/27/18 06:58 AM
08/27/18 06:58 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
I thinkTesta was just throwing him a bone after doing a bid probably Testa and Bruno were getting money from before he got pinched or just for being a member with good connections in NY and the guy can keep his mouth shut .

I don’t think it had much to do with anything else other then being close with Bruno and he knew the rackets or in other words he knew the job .

WellTesta thought !

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: JCrusher] #951408
08/27/18 07:02 AM
08/27/18 07:02 AM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline
Made Member
downtown  Offline
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
Could be that Testa was looking to move in that direction (narcotics) and needed Pete Casella to guide that operation. Testa must have known that Scarfo was opposed to dealing drugs made Casella his underboss.

wise old owl sat on a oak , the more he heard the less he spoke , the less he spoke the more he heard , wasn't that a wise ole bird.
Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: JCrusher] #951410
08/27/18 08:05 AM
08/27/18 08:05 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Casella was close to members of the Genovese, Lucchese, and Bonanno crime families of the New Jersey factions. It was also Gerardo Catena who saved Casella from being hit and allowed him to retire down in Florida.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #951411
08/27/18 08:18 AM
08/27/18 08:18 AM
Downtown NYC
D
downtown Offline
Made Member
downtown  Offline
D
Made Member
Downtown NYC
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Casella was close to members of the Genovese, Lucchese, and Bonanno crime families of the New Jersey factions. It was also Gerardo Catena who saved Casella from being hit and allowed him to retire down in Florida.

Thanx Giacomo for revealing Jerry Catena as Pete Cassella's protection. This is the first time that I ever heard a name provided regarding this. Was always sourced as a "Powerful Genovese member who saved Casella.

Last edited by downtown; 08/27/18 08:19 AM. Reason: correction

wise old owl sat on a oak , the more he heard the less he spoke , the less he spoke the more he heard , wasn't that a wise ole bird.
Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: JCrusher] #951412
08/27/18 08:23 AM
08/27/18 08:23 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
Listening to the mafia Prince and Leonetti explains how Long John approached Scarfo about dealing narcotics. And to Scarfo's surprise Long John tells him how they were all into narcotics: Bruno, Testa,... maybe the Chicken man wanted to improve his income with Casela's understanding of the narcotic trade. Serp, I sent you a pm.

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: JCrusher] #951430
08/27/18 01:25 PM
08/27/18 01:25 PM
UK
S
streetbossliborio Offline
Underboss
streetbossliborio  Offline
S
Underboss
UK
Always wondered this. My thoughts was that testa thought the old guy would be easy to control;

- just done a large bid, so trustworthy
- old guy, less ambitious easy to control
- old guys are usually old school
- knew ny guys

All the above was bs as the guy is like the majority of old mobsters who still want it all for some reason at 70+. Casella was a brokester too which didn’t help testa as he wanted more money then what was being offered clearly.

Sal should’ve found casella in Florida and whacked him. He deserved it as much as the others if not more as he was in an administration position and should’ve been grateful.

Reminds me of the Greg depalma wiretaps when the guy was over 70 - the guy was still chasing money and power like he was 20. Insane reading about how he was at that age. They’re a breed like no other these old mobsters - only the ones that never hit the millionaire status. The more successful ones tend to want to retire yesterday

Last edited by streetbossliborio; 08/27/18 01:26 PM.
Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: JCrusher] #951511
08/28/18 11:38 AM
08/28/18 11:38 AM
P
PHL_Mob Offline
Capo
PHL_Mob  Offline
P
Capo
If Sal did that the Genovese would have had him killed if Scarfo didn’t do it first. And to your point about retiring early, look at Greg DePalma vs Torre LoCascio... Diblutrich actually talks about that in the Scores book...

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: JCrusher] #951518
08/28/18 02:25 PM
08/28/18 02:25 PM
UK
S
Underboss
S
Underboss
UK
That’s true but I’m sure he wanted to whack him! Genoveses would of got Scarfo to do it. Whole lot of good it done him following the rules

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: streetbossliborio] #951523
08/28/18 03:27 PM
08/28/18 03:27 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted by streetbossliborio
Always wondered this. My thoughts was that testa thought the old guy would be easy to control;

- just done a large bid, so trustworthy
- old guy, less ambitious easy to control
- old guys are usually old school
- knew ny guys

All the above was bs as the guy is like the majority of old mobsters who still want it all for some reason at 70+. Casella was a brokester too which didn’t help testa as he wanted more money then what was being offered clearly.

Sal should’ve found casella in Florida and whacked him. He deserved it as much as the others if not more as he was in an administration position and should’ve been grateful.

Reminds me of the Greg depalma wiretaps when the guy was over 70 - the guy was still chasing money and power like he was 20. Insane reading about how he was at that age. They’re a breed like no other these old mobsters - only the ones that never hit the millionaire status. The more successful ones tend to want to retire yesterday

Casella's case is nothing compared to Sonny Franzese for example: the guy still extorted money at 93 years; by comparison, Casella was a young boy smile Or Nick Rizzuto who was still active at 86 when he was whacked.

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 08/28/18 03:29 PM.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: Serpiente] #951595
08/29/18 02:57 PM
08/29/18 02:57 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by Serpiente
I thinkTesta was just throwing him a bone after doing a bid probably Testa and Bruno were getting money from before he got pinched or just for being a member with good connections in NY and the guy can keep his mouth shut .

I don’t think it had much to do with anything else other then being close with Bruno and he knew the rackets or in other words he knew the job .

WellTesta thought !

I also think that's much it plain & simple in a nutshell..a bone...just as Bruno had done w/ Caponigro by appointing him consig after Rugnetta passed.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: hoodlum] #951609
08/29/18 05:54 PM
08/29/18 05:54 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by hoodlum
Originally Posted by Serpiente

WellTesta thought !

I also think that's much it plain & simple in a nutshell..a bone...just as Bruno had done w/ Caponigro by appointing him consig after Rugnetta passed.

Yeah because none of it makes any sense (Testa) had no grudges against Nick he actually had a relationship with him.

So it’s has to come down to money that was made for the family and he went away or he was a well connected member with tenure and in good standing .

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: JCrusher] #951612
08/29/18 06:22 PM
08/29/18 06:22 PM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
Scarfo took sides with Testa when Bruno and him were beefing.

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: blueracing347] #951617
08/29/18 07:36 PM
08/29/18 07:36 PM
UK
S
Underboss
S
Underboss
UK
That’s the writing on the wall for Bruno when as the boss he cannot control his admin. In other families test and Scarfo would’ve been whacked immediately for beefing with the boss and rightly so. Could you imagine the same situation with Scarfo as the boss.. you can say what you want about Scarfo but no one could dare plot against him or argue with him unless they wanted a quick dirt nap

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: streetbossliborio] #951656
08/30/18 03:51 AM
08/30/18 03:51 AM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
That’s the writing on the wall for Bruno when as the boss he cannot control his admin. In other families test and Scarfo would’ve been whacked immediately for beefing with the boss and rightly so. Could you imagine the same situation with Scarfo as the boss.. you can say what you want about Scarfo but no one could dare plot against him or argue with him unless they wanted a quick dirt nap

That’s also because Scarfo as Phil used to say or was it Crow preferred,’ more Indians than chiefs’

He purposely kept guys around him weak or anyone he suspected was getting ‘too big for their britches’ he’d demote/ or whack them (Chuckie) & (Salvie)

That’s why his admin was made up with his nephew and HAD Nicky jr been ready, Scarfo was grooming him to take over one day

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: streetbossliborio] #951665
08/30/18 07:01 AM
08/30/18 07:01 AM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss

True in our life it’s a crazy thing, but after a couple bosses went down to treason Nick was not going down like that. Now the guycould of had a different approach with keeping guys like Salvie and Chucky and Yogi he could of had someone very close listening for any type of treason ( like Tommy was constantly) he had guys loyal and just could not give them that extra inch .

Now what gets me is how vague Phil was in his book about the time leading up to Salvies murder and I totally think it was kept out to make him more likable to people buying the book and would one day in life .

Because if what really came out what was said and plotted would make him look bad I am sure . One thing is that there are many details about everything else and in Salvies murder it was my uncle wanted him dead and I (Phil) knew it after one thing his uncle said ......I say bullshit there must of been many many conversations! And yes I knew how greedy all the guys were in Philly wanted to chop up Salvies racketsfor them selves.

Something else happened and it went with Nick and Chucky and Yogi and Phil is the only one that was left privy to the info !

Re: Why did Phil Testa choose Pete Casella? [Re: Tonytough] #951694
08/30/18 02:27 PM
08/30/18 02:27 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by Tonytough

That’s also because Scarfo as Phil used to say or was it Crow preferred,’ more Indians than chiefs’

He purposely kept guys around him weak or anyone he suspected was getting ‘too big for their britches’ he’d demote/ or whack them (Chuckie) & (Salvie)

That’s why his admin was made up with his nephew and HAD Nicky jr been ready, Scarfo was grooming him to take over one day

NEPOTISTIC.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull