GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 117 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,406
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,807
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,300
Posts1,058,159
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? #944874
06/25/18 09:51 AM
06/25/18 09:51 AM
N
night_timer Offline OP
Capo
night_timer  Offline OP
N
Capo
Did Italians (whether LCN or nor) get heavily targeted by NY cops? I've often wondered about that.

When I lived in Detroit, you could say that African Americans will get treated the worst, but the majority of Detroit cops are black, so why would they target African Americans unfairly? (I can't comment on other parts of the US, so I wouldn't know.)

Last edited by night_timer; 06/25/18 09:52 AM.

"It was all crap, right up to the moment he died" - an investigator's opinion - and epitaph - of John Holmes (Johnny Wadd)

"Drunk words are sober thoughts" - Anon.
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #944891
06/25/18 11:57 AM
06/25/18 11:57 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
The Italians have long been way more heavily targeted by the FBI and Hollywood and the media. The police in cities tend to focus more on street gangs. I come form a small town where I was taught to be suspicious of all Italians being in the mafia. The big cities are different, as I have learned. Not very different in that regard, but less so.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #944894
06/25/18 12:22 PM
06/25/18 12:22 PM
J
Japseye1 Offline
BANNED
Japseye1  Offline
BANNED
J
Made Member
They also say that blacks are killed more than any other race by police however statistics show that the claim is false

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: jace] #944932
06/25/18 03:24 PM
06/25/18 03:24 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by jace
The Italians have long been way more heavily targeted by the FBI and Hollywood and the media. The police in cities tend to focus more on street gangs. I come form a small town where I was taught to be suspicious of all Italians being in the mafia. The big cities are different, as I have learned. Not very different in that regard, but less so.

Goodfellas was directed by Scorsese. The Godfather was directed by Coppola. The Sopranos was created by Chase (DeCesare). All Italian Americans. A lot of the same actors are in all the mob related movies and TV shows, look at their IMDB profiles and you will see they are rarely in anything else. Yes, they are pigeonholed. But is it Hollywood, or these same actors, who propagate the myth that all Italians are mobbed up? If they felt strongly about it, don't select those roles. A lot of the best actors are Italian American (De Niro, Pacino, Brando); acting in mafia related movies at the start of their careers never harmed them.

As for the FBI, I don't know if I agree with that. The reason why the mafia became so strong, and the reason why the Feds cracked down on the mafia in the 80's, is because they were allowed to become strong because, for whatever reason, J. Edgar Hoover didn't pursue them and allowed them free rein.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #944956
06/25/18 04:17 PM
06/25/18 04:17 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Here we go....

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: Moe_Tilden] #944958
06/25/18 04:22 PM
06/25/18 04:22 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
J. Edgar Hoover didn't pursue them and allowed them free rein.

The mob had evidence that Hoover liked to wear the old panties from time to time. Literally.

Bobby Kennedy was the first high ranking cop at the federal level to go after the mob.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #944968
06/25/18 05:08 PM
06/25/18 05:08 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
i think the freemasons has sure something to do with the fact even americans (hoower etc.) denied the existence of the mafia
american mafia existence was discovered when? 1970s?
the sicilian mafia existence was showed for the first time in 1992, and it existed since 1830s at least

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: m2w] #944971
06/25/18 05:27 PM
06/25/18 05:27 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Originally Posted by m2w
i think the freemasons has sure something to do with the fact even americans (hoower etc.) denied the existence of the mafia
american mafia existence was discovered when? 1970s?
the sicilian mafia existence was showed for the first time in 1992, and it existed since 1830s at least

First time in 1992? Everyone knew for mafia,but it was "public secret",when maxi trial started in 1986,that's when it was showed.

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #944974
06/25/18 05:45 PM
06/25/18 05:45 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

I think Italians were discriminated because they were Catholics, years before that the Irish were treated the same way.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #944980
06/25/18 06:22 PM
06/25/18 06:22 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by night_timer
Did Italians (whether LCN or nor) get heavily targeted by NY cops? I've often wondered about that.

Interesting question. I would think in the early days cops did target Italians. (Many of the police were Irish) I don't think that was really true in later years as Italians assimilated and many went into the NYPD.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: OakAsFan] #944982
06/25/18 06:27 PM
06/25/18 06:27 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by OakAsFan

The mob had evidence that Hoover liked to wear the old panties from time to time. Literally.

Bobby Kennedy was the first high ranking cop at the federal level to go after the mob.

I don't know for sure about the panties, but I know that there was a conversation recorded (Angelo Bruno, IIRC) where some mob guys said Hoover was a so called "fairy". Their word, not mine. So the rumors about him and Clyde spread far outside of Washington, D.C. In any case, Hoover was too busy chasing (mostly imaginary) Communists to give a shit about organized crime.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #944996
06/25/18 08:26 PM
06/25/18 08:26 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Nowadays I would say muslims and blacks, in the us but also in europe.

Last edited by Hollander; 06/25/18 08:26 PM.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #944997
06/25/18 08:32 PM
06/25/18 08:32 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I'm just making an observation here, but where I live a lot of young Muslim men are casually dealing drugs.

As I said, just an observation, I haven't seen any black men dealing, but I've witnessed transactions happening pretty much out in the open several times with these guys. Wouldn't be surprised if there are some illicit trading practices going on in terms of their businesses either..

Of course, this situation is going to exacerbate.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #945003
06/25/18 11:21 PM
06/25/18 11:21 PM
Rochester/Pittsburgh
FrankValenti Offline
The Sphinx
FrankValenti  Offline
The Sphinx
Made Member
Rochester/Pittsburgh
Italians were treated poorly and subject to racial discrimination and profiling from the police during the first half of last century. That being said, blacks have always been treated the worst. As bad as new Italian immigrants had it, compare how Italians were treated 100 years ago with how blacks were treated 100 years ago. It's not even up for debate IMO.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #945004
06/26/18 12:13 AM
06/26/18 12:13 AM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo
I recently worked with two northern Italians (from Rome). They live on the upper west side (doing well, financially). I tried to strike up conversation about the Italian presence in Queens and some of the neighborhoods. I was trying to segwey into discussion about Parkside, my favorite restaurant ever. They laughed. They don't even consider anything south of Naples to be true Italian. So there are differences in identity even within Italy.

It's not the first time I've worked with people from northern Italy. The last time a woman declared that if anyone mentioned the words "spaghetti" or "mafia" that she would take her shoe off and throw it at them. Just saying.

Don't know if this ties in with the topic but discrimination is ubiquitous. There is discrimination within families (parents favor one child over the other). Dating is discrimination. Shopping is discrimination.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: Moe_Tilden] #945006
06/26/18 01:07 AM
06/26/18 01:07 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

Goodfellas was directed by Scorsese. The Godfather was directed by Coppola. The Sopranos was created by Chase (DeCesare). All Italian Americans. A lot of the same actors are in all the mob related movies and TV shows, look at their IMDB profiles and you will see they are rarely in anything else. Yes, they are pigeonholed. But is it Hollywood, or these same actors, who propagate the myth that all Italians are mobbed up? If they felt strongly about it, don't select those roles. A lot of the best actors are Italian American (De Niro, Pacino, Brando); acting in mafia related movies at the start of their careers never harmed them.

As for the FBI, I don't know if I agree with that. The reason why the mafia became so strong, and the reason why the Feds cracked down on the mafia in the 80's, is because they were allowed to become strong because, for whatever reason, J. Edgar Hoover didn't pursue them and allowed them free rein.

Italians I have come to know hate those directors and actors for taking part in those films and tv shows. Many say they had no choice, others don't care. The Godfather and The Sopranos had Italian groups condemn those films. As for Hoover he went after them heavily after 1957.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: OakAsFan] #945007
06/26/18 01:09 AM
06/26/18 01:09 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

Wrong as usual. Dewey went after them, and other prosectors did too. Hoover and cross dressing is not believable. When he had agents harass Giancana and kidnap Marcello the photos would have come out.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: Flushing] #945008
06/26/18 01:11 AM
06/26/18 01:11 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by Flushing
I recently worked with two northern Italians (from Rome). They live on the upper west side (doing well, financially). I tried to strike up conversation about the Italian presence in Queens and some of the neighborhoods. I was trying to segwey into discussion about Parkside, my favorite restaurant ever. They laughed. They don't even consider anything south of Naples to be true Italian. So there are differences in identity even within Italy.

It's not the first time I've worked with people from northern Italy. The last time a woman declared that if anyone mentioned the words "spaghetti" or "mafia" that she would take her shoe off and throw it at them. Just saying.

Don't know if this ties in with the topic but discrimination is ubiquitous. There is discrimination within families (parents favor one child over the other). Dating is discrimination. Shopping is discrimination.

I work very close to that area, it is a mostly Mexican area, with Italians last in numbers behind Columbians and other South American groups. They say the last time it was Italian in Corona was way back in the 1980's or earlier.

Last edited by jace; 06/26/18 01:22 AM.
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: jace] #945011
06/26/18 01:17 AM
06/26/18 01:17 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

Italians I have come to know hate those directors and actors for taking part in those films and tv shows. Many say they had no choice, others don't care. The Godfather and The Sopranos had Italian groups condemn those films. As for Hoover he went after them heavily after 1957.

http://edition.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/13/sopranos.protest/

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: jace] #945032
06/26/18 07:36 AM
06/26/18 07:36 AM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo

I work very close to that area, it is a mostly Mexican area, with Italians last in numbers behind Columbians and other South American groups. They say the last time it was Italian in Corona was way back in the 1980's or earlier.

Corona and Spaghetti park still had a sizable population of Italians in the 90's. The Corona Park Salumeria moved a few neighborhoods over to Whitestone.

In Corona: The Bakery boys is still on 104th street, as is Mama's restaurant (they have a satellite branch within Citi Field and probably making huge bank), Parkside, Lemon Ive King, the Genovese "members only" club next to parkside, the Bocci Courts across the street which are filled with ex-neighborhood people coming from Long Island, Leo's Latticinni on 104th street, and Corona Pizza (which is still Italian). There was an N'dragheta cocaine dealership/restaurant near parkside called 'la cocina' but likely out of business after the big bust.

I ride through on my bike after trips to Flushing Meadows sometimes and still see Italian flags adorning some houses, especially near Flushing Meadows by the science center.

If you knew all this, I apologize. I like that neighborhood and always felt nostalgic there.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: jace] #945033
06/26/18 07:38 AM
06/26/18 07:38 AM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo

Forgot to mention Tony's on 104th street, where Nicky Santoro (Bonanno) meets with Tough Tony Federici (Genovese) on occasion.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/pillow-carrying-mobster-24-months-jail-article-1.1215812

Last edited by Flushing; 06/26/18 07:40 AM.
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #945038
06/26/18 11:03 AM
06/26/18 11:03 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
They have Italian restaurants, but the residents are rarely Italian. A few mostly elderly people live there, mostly on one or 2 small blocks. This is like when people try to call some areas Irish even though they too are all South American and Mexican. I went to a place called Doanvan's in Woodside, an old time Irish pub. I was told there were a lot of Irish in the area. Guess what, all the pool in the street were Spanish and speaking it. Inside it was Irish, and there are few living around there, but look at the numbers.

Corona

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Corona-Corona-NY.html

Last edited by jace; 06/26/18 11:07 AM.
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #945039
06/26/18 11:19 AM
06/26/18 11:19 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Watch the opening of this as the man discusses the area. He even mentions it "Used to be Dominican".

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #945041
06/26/18 12:13 PM
06/26/18 12:13 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
Italians didn't just get profiled, the police cracked their heads when they brought them in, and the italians never cried about police brutality, they took their punishment like men...That's what makes Italians stand up people compared to these others !!

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: DiLorenzo] #945050
06/26/18 01:30 PM
06/26/18 01:30 PM
Rochester/Pittsburgh
FrankValenti Offline
The Sphinx
FrankValenti  Offline
The Sphinx
Made Member
Rochester/Pittsburgh
Originally Posted by DiLorenzo
Italians didn't just get profiled, the police cracked their heads when they brought them in, and the italians never cried about police brutality, they took their punishment like men...That's what makes Italians stand up people compared to these others !!

You act like the same exact thing didn't happen to other ethnicities during that period. Some of them were murdered in cold blood by the police or rogue mobs and didn't cry police brutality. That's just the way society operated. You must think the Irish were slaves too, huh? LOL.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: FrankValenti] #945060
06/26/18 04:33 PM
06/26/18 04:33 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by FrankValenti

You act like the same exact thing didn't happen to other ethnicities during that period. Some of them were murdered in cold blood by the police or rogue mobs and didn't cry police brutality. That's just the way society operated. You must think the Irish were slaves too, huh? LOL.

There is a theory that Irish were slaves. I'm not sure if it was debunked or not. I think it was.

If someone has a genuine source that Irish policemen routinely targeted and discriminated Italian people (and not just hoods) I'd like to see it.

There were still "No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish" signs in England in the 70's. There are STILL "No Irish Need Apply" signs in Australia. I don't want to get into a dick measuring contest about which ethnicity had it worst after black people and Mexican people, but Irish had it pretty bad. There were still riots against Irish people being introduced into neighborhoods well into the 20th century. Look at the outrage about "the papist presidency" when Kennedy got elected.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: DiLorenzo] #945069
06/26/18 05:16 PM
06/26/18 05:16 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss

If there were a demand for Italian slaves like there was for African slaves, Italians would have been slaves, too.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: night_timer] #945077
06/26/18 05:59 PM
06/26/18 05:59 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
We're speaking OC profiling not general and it's depends on city for worst attention.
Italians are going to be viewed as guidos/mafiasos, Irish most likely in this time frame as connected to IRA or gun runners, Russian/ East European types generally Vors or High tech racketeers, Mexicans/Columbians/Peruvians/Puerto Ricans/Cubans/ drug cartels dons/kingpins, Haitians the Zoe Pound, Jamaicans the Posses/Massives/Yardies, Nigerians the professional scammers, Germans/English the Bikers or professional freelancers/racketeers, and Blacks the Drug Kingpin/Queenpin

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: BlackFamily] #945080
06/26/18 06:20 PM
06/26/18 06:20 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by BlackFamily
We're speaking OC profiling not general and it's depends on city for worst attention.
Italians are going to be viewed as guidos/mafiasos, Irish most likely in this time frame as connected to IRA or gun runners, Russian/ East European types generally Vors or High tech racketeers, Mexicans/Columbians/Peruvians/Puerto Ricans/Cubans/ drug cartels dons/kingpins, Haitians the Zoe Pound, Jamaicans the Posses/Massives/Yardies, Nigerians the professional scammers, Germans/English the Bikers or professional freelancers/racketeers, and Blacks the Drug Kingpin/Queenpin

Well said.

Re: OC Racial Profiling... who gets treated the worst? [Re: OakAsFan] #945113
06/26/18 11:53 PM
06/26/18 11:53 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

If there were a demand for Italian slaves like there was for African slaves, Italians would have been slaves, too.

The Italians and the Irish were slaves in Africa during the Barbary Coast Wars. Many British subjects were slaves after having been captured off merchant boats near Africa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull