GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 116 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,712
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,279
Posts1,057,746
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: helenwheels] #940914
05/23/18 08:53 PM
05/23/18 08:53 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by helenwheels
Again, feel free to disagree with what I've said. Don't name call. It's rude, and it's against board rules.

Well, you called me a kid, for nothing more than challenging your words. So, you really don't have the high ground here, either.

My point about less white had to do with gentrification. The definition of gentrification is white, upper class people moving into neighborhoods that were poor and usually black or latino. That's not what happened to Bay Ridge, which is what i wrote in my post, when Belmont mentioned it had gentrified.

Some of your descriptions were outright bigoted.

It's amusing being called a bigot here at GBB. Im usually being called a leftist/liberal here, so this makes for a nice change of pace.

If you normally use the kinds of descriptions you did today, I'd say "centrist" is a more accurate description of your politics. There's more than two ideologies on the spectrum.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #940915
05/23/18 08:59 PM
05/23/18 08:59 PM
Past caring, then hang a left
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Originally Posted by helenwheels
Again, feel free to disagree with what I've said. Don't name call. It's rude, and it's against board rules.

Well, you called me a kid, for nothing more than challenging your words. So, you really don't have the high ground here, either.

My point about less white had to do with gentrification. The definition of gentrification is white, upper class people moving into neighborhoods that were poor and usually black or latino. That's not what happened to Bay Ridge, which is what i wrote in my post, when Belmont mentioned it had gentrified.

It's amusing being called a bigot here at GBB. Im usually being called a leftist/liberal here, so this makes for a nice change of pace.

If you normally use the kinds of descriptions you did today, I'd say "centrist" is a more accurate description of your politics. There's more than two ideologies on the spectrum.

You're comparing 'kid' to 'jerkoff'?

And yes, I'm aware that there are more than two ideologies on the political spectrum, not that our current climate seems to allow for those type of nuances.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940917
05/23/18 09:05 PM
05/23/18 09:05 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Uh oh. This is the final phase of the Roseanne werewolf transformation. Pretending YOU'RE the victim because your words were criticized, not the people you equated to "trash".

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940918
05/23/18 09:07 PM
05/23/18 09:07 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Lmao, where did i claim victimhood?

Tough as cement tits babe.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940919
05/23/18 09:09 PM
05/23/18 09:09 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Your insinuation that you're not "allowed" to liken "less white", "Arabic" people to trash, when you obviously are.

It's like Roseanne saying that working class whites need a voice. oh my gawwd.....

Last edited by OakAsFan; 05/23/18 09:14 PM.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940932
05/24/18 12:06 AM
05/24/18 12:06 AM
Rochester/Pittsburgh
FrankValenti Offline
The Sphinx
FrankValenti  Offline
The Sphinx
Made Member
Rochester/Pittsburgh
Bay Ridge is one of the few decent neighborhoods left in Brooklyn that can be considered "affordable" without a complete butchering of the definition of that word. So yes, it's becoming a hipster "hood. That being said, the R Train absolutely fucking sucks and it's far enough away from downtown that there's a psychological barrier. That's why it may seem "trashy" to some. It's an eclectic neighborhood that attracts a diverse crowd from various socioeconomic backgrounds. That would include LCN. How big of a piece the Italians have left in Bay Ridge I couldn't tell you, probably very little, but I can guarantee you activity persists.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #940934
05/24/18 03:09 AM
05/24/18 03:09 AM
dominic_calabrese Offline
Made Member
dominic_calabrese  Offline
Made Member

What's wrong with being "bigoted" ??

It's like Roseanne saying that working class whites need a voice. oh my gawwd....

which is outright classist of you to say

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #940963
05/24/18 11:22 AM
05/24/18 11:22 AM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo
The immigrants moving in today are experiencing tenfold the challenges that immigrants of centuries' past have, especially in the Zenophobic Trump era. As far as Italians keeping the neighborhood clean or whatever, they had the unique privilege of being second and third generation residents of these working class areas just as the prosperous 20th century was taking hold. Massive government spending on basic services and maintenance in working class areas like Brooklyn during the New Deal years, along with district green lining by banks were privileges that the European immigrants of the 20th century enjoyed. Not only are these privileges non existent to today's immigrants, they weren't even available in the New Deal years to people of color.

Are you out of your gender neutral, cultural marxist, postmodernist mind?

Off the top of my white priviledged head: Polio, Frank McCourt's 3 dead siblings (in 1940's Brooklyn, well after the New Deal), no heat in winter, no refrigeration, no health insurance,"shape up" jobs, draft riots (civil war era), race riots (every fucking weekend thereafter) and murder rates in the thousands per year (2500 shootings in NYC in 1993) compared with a couple hundred in 2018.

Now as I am familiar with social services in both NYC and Nassau, since my youth was quite likely not even close to yours, I'll tell what modern immigrants receive:

In Nassau: A free smartphone, interpretation services, hotel stays for homeless families, shelters for single men, job placement, cash assistance, SNAP benefits, alcohol/drug counseling, career counseling, legal aid, fair hearings, WIC benefits (woman with infant child), restaurant vouchers, EEOC laws, countless nonprofit resources (including some that dole out free metrocards), medicaid, medicare (including MRI's and other astronomically expensive procedures not available in previous years), and HOSPITALS THAT MUST SERVE EVERY EMERGENCY ROOM VISITOR REGARDLESS OF CITIZENSHIP OR INSURANCE STATUS (aka: free health care for those too stupid to show up at DSS).

Not to mention immigrants keep pouring in from the Soros-sphere. People run FROM oppression, not TOWARDS it.

I know you liberals you've had a rough go of things lately, what with all the Jordan Petersons and Sam Harris's running around, but please go back to your cry closet/safe space/rent controlled luxury apartment. I'll be on the bus as usual watching grown men play video games on their free phone.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940976
05/24/18 12:50 PM
05/24/18 12:50 PM
M
majicrat Offline
Underboss
majicrat  Offline
M
Underboss
Well said Flushing. I don't normally get involved in these types of postings (last time I challenged a post I was accused of being someone else, and, being from another country) but felt the need to say I agree with your posting 100%

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: Slimshady] #941000
05/24/18 03:58 PM
05/24/18 03:58 PM
Hudson County NJ
D
DB Offline
Underboss
DB  Offline
D
Underboss
Hudson County NJ
I disagree too that gentrification is mostly white , upper class I agree but

Imo most gentrified areas in NYC / NJ are pretty diverse with Latinos , Asians and Indians now a big

Percentage of the population along with whites . Still not many American Americans but very diverse

They all basically make $100K+ in Manhattan or Jersey City

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941003
05/24/18 04:12 PM
05/24/18 04:12 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Figures someone would try to bring up the band aids given to immigrants today to disprove the glaring advantages that white immigrants of the 20th century enjoyed.

The fact that this person lists smart phones as their first example says it all.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941025
05/24/18 06:42 PM
05/24/18 06:42 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Oaks take your social justice crusade somewhere else it's just pathetic at this point.

Last edited by NickyEyes1; 05/24/18 06:43 PM.
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941043
05/24/18 10:53 PM
05/24/18 10:53 PM
Amherst
The_Rooster Offline
BANNED
The_Rooster  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Amherst
Agreed, nausea is the only contribution he brings to the board

Dont worry about what Im doing
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941046
05/24/18 11:07 PM
05/24/18 11:07 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
It's not social justice. It's justice.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #941058
05/25/18 12:01 AM
05/25/18 12:01 AM
dominic_calabrese Offline
Made Member
dominic_calabrese  Offline
Made Member
Great post by FLUSHING up above, detailing the many benefits extended to modern-day immigrants.

As for OakAsFan's understanding of justice, it is shallow and "universalist." True justice is what you owe to generations PAST and generations FUTURE, as you pursue a shared vision of the good, handed down from generation to generation, among groups related by bonds of race, culture, religion and blood. It is not something owed to people who originate halfway across the globe, and whose only claim is that they are contemporaneous with you

Last edited by dominic_calabrese; 05/25/18 12:04 AM.
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941061
05/25/18 12:10 AM
05/25/18 12:10 AM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Flushing's post was not great. He's comparing band-aid benefits offered to the poor today to the extensive New Deal programs that poor whites thrived on between the 1930s and 1980s. He thinks a smart phone is as valuable as a 30 year career at a union job.

Also, you're confusing justice with nationalism.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #941112
05/25/18 01:59 PM
05/25/18 01:59 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Flushing's post was not great. He's comparing band-aid benefits offered to the poor today to the extensive New Deal programs that poor whites thrived on between the 1930s and 1980s. He thinks a smart phone is as valuable as a 30 year career at a union job.

Hey OAF, I always like your posts on the mob, very informative..
But why do you want to ram your political views in everybody's throat? It's getting very annoying..

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: BillyBrizzi] #941134
05/25/18 06:38 PM
05/25/18 06:38 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by BillyBrizzi

But why do you want to ram your political views in everybody's throat? It's getting very annoying..

OakAsFan has a right to his opinion the same as everyone. Helenwheels gave his (her?) opinion and OakAsFan responded.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: Fleming_Ave] #941144
05/25/18 07:31 PM
05/25/18 07:31 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Fleming_Ave

OakAsFan has a right to his opinion the same as everyone. Helenwheels gave his (her?) opinion and OakAsFan responded.

True, but the problem is that he doesn't stop. Seems like once he gets on his soapbox he just can't help himself..

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: BillyBrizzi] #941146
05/25/18 07:38 PM
05/25/18 07:38 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
why do you want to ram your political views in everybody's throat?

You have it all wrong. I'm stopping lies from being rammed down everyone else's throats.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #941149
05/25/18 07:45 PM
05/25/18 07:45 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
why do you want to ram your political views in everybody's throat?

You have it all wrong. I'm stopping lies from being rammed down everyone else's throats.

OK, didn't know you were on of those guys with a monopoly on the truth..

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: BillyBrizzi] #941150
05/25/18 07:48 PM
05/25/18 07:48 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
OK, didn't know you were on of those guys with a monopoly on the truth.

It's not hard to be when you're arguing with right wingers (or centrists who sympathize with some of their misguided views).

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #941152
05/25/18 09:14 PM
05/25/18 09:14 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
OK, didn't know you were on of those guys with a monopoly on the truth.

It's not hard to be when you're arguing with right wingers (or centrists who sympathize with some of their misguided views).

Didn't know you were such a self-righteous prick OAF..

That's why I try to stay away from politics as much as possible over here, because it rarely does any good. Just like discussions about religion. The guys who share my political views know where I stand, but I don't have the urge to blurt out those views in unrelated, non-political threads..

Last edited by BillyBrizzi; 05/25/18 09:14 PM.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941153
05/25/18 09:20 PM
05/25/18 09:20 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Maybe you ought to review entire threads before doing some blurting of your own and placing blame where it doesn't belong.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941175
05/25/18 10:23 PM
05/25/18 10:23 PM
WhackWhack Offline
Made Member
WhackWhack  Offline
Made Member
Immigrants have it tough?? This is why Cosa Nosa strived in America, to protect the Italians from getting screwed over. New immigrants don't need Cosa Nostra they have the government. Or let's not pretend just 50 years ago we were all greaseball wops. Italians have been discriminated against for 100s of years in America.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941180
05/25/18 10:55 PM
05/25/18 10:55 PM
python134r Offline
Associate
python134r  Offline
Associate
Have not been around for 15 years but affirmative, there are some street guys around, not like 30 years ago,
However, Russians and Chinese own like all the businesses on 86th Street, 18th Ave is alive last I heard........
I owned a few places on 86th both in Bay Ridge and Bath Beach from 1975 to 1990, then came the murder, death, betrayal and lies.
Then and only then I jetted, after 80 months downtime from the Eastern District of NY. @ Various BOP facilities.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941181
05/25/18 10:56 PM
05/25/18 10:56 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Well, characters in mafia movies protected Italians from being screwed over. In real life, not so much.

And, as I've stated above, the second, third generations of Italians, along with the off spring other white immigrant groups in the mid 20th century, benefited from extensive government programs designed to form a middle class that were not as accessible to minorities, and which today's benefits are mere band aids compared to.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: python134r] #941199
05/26/18 07:14 AM
05/26/18 07:14 AM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Originally Posted by python134r
Have not been around for 15 years but affirmative, there are some street guys around, not like 30 years ago,
However, Russians and Chinese own like all the businesses on 86th Street, 18th Ave is alive last I heard........
I owned a few places on 86th both in Bay Ridge and Bath Beach from 1975 to 1990, then came the murder, death, betrayal and lies.
Then and only then I jetted, after 80 months downtime from the Eastern District of NY. @ Various BOP facilities.

Are you yourself from Bath Beach and if you don't mind me asking how old are you sir?

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #941389
05/27/18 11:09 PM
05/27/18 11:09 PM
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NYC
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NYC
Bensonhurst used to look like a beautiful town from Italy.
You had some of the best Salumeria's and Pizzeria/Restaurants in America.
The streets were cleaned and well manicured.
Bensonhurst probably had the lowest crime rate in the country.
Almost all who lived in the neighborhood took great pride.
Italian and other nationalities as well.
Almost all Italians loved America and and believed in American values and way of life.

Today Bensonhurst is a shit hole
It looks like a ghetto neighborhood from China.

Bayridge similar story 4th and 5th ave look like neighborhoods in IRAQ or Syria

These are facts it may not sound very nice but sometimes the truth isn't always nice.

No gentrification has occurred in either neighborhood I wish it would.

The middle eastern Bodega'a are disgusting and dirty I would say about 99% of them I will not buy a sandwich or a cup of coffee.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #941391
05/28/18 12:00 AM
05/28/18 12:00 AM
J
jace Offline
Underboss
jace  Offline
J
Underboss

Well, characters in mafia movies protected Italians from being screwed over. In real life, not so much.

And, as I've stated above, the second, third generations of Italians, along with the off spring other white immigrant groups in the mid 20th century, benefited from extensive government programs designed to form a middle class that were not as accessible to minorities, and which today's benefits are mere band aids compared to.

Italians and other white ethnic groups another offspring have not benefited from these programs anywhere near to the extent that minorities have. You lie constantly, and just make stuff up as you go along.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull