GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 131 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,359
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,200
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? #940776
05/22/18 02:24 PM
05/22/18 02:24 PM
J
JackieAprile Offline OP
Capo
JackieAprile  Offline OP
J
Capo
Same question as in the title.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940783
05/22/18 03:33 PM
05/22/18 03:33 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
Yes.
Bay ridge has been gentrified though and not what it once was. Benson, dyker heights, and even gravesend had a lot of clubs at one time. A lot of the action in bensonhurst moved to staten island.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940786
05/22/18 04:01 PM
05/22/18 04:01 PM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo
I was afraid the hipsters would take over Bay Ridge at some point.

https://twitter.com/HipsterBeatings

DieHipster once drew a line across Brooklyn and dared them to cross it. Guess they crossed it.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940794
05/22/18 04:47 PM
05/22/18 04:47 PM
Past caring, then hang a left
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
My observations of Bay Ridge are the opposite of gentrifying. I think it's gotten more trashy, for lack of a better word. When i think of gentrification I think more whites moving in, but Bay Ridge is less white than it used to be.

86th street by Century is absolutely disgusting. 5th Avenue as well, just gross. Loads of Arabic shops, at one time they ended at about 75th street, now they come all the way up to 86th.

There are still gorgeous residential blocks between Ridge Blvd and Shore Road, with very high ticket real estate and some excellent restaurants on 3rd ave, as always, but the ethnic makeup of the place has changed dramatically.

I grew up in Dyker, went to grade school in Bay Ridge. Lived there until my early 30s. I'm still in Brooklyn about once or twice a week and we never fail to comment on how the place has changed. Had dinner at Ho'brah on 3rd and 87th just the other day, and when we parked and walked from 4th to 3rd we were shocked by all the garbage bags on the street.

Bensonhurst is practically unrecognizable. 18th avenue has Chinese storefronts all over, Bath avenue has Arabic stores everywhere, or Russian, Cropsey Ave too (although the Cropsey lounge is still there, just saw it last week). The old Deluxe theater is a giant mosque.

Shockingly, I just found out that the old Fortune Cookie chinese restaurant on 13th in Dyker has now been sold to a Puerto Rican pastor, for another branch of his church. He has a radio show or some such. That's something I could never had imagined while I was living there.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940797
05/22/18 05:35 PM
05/22/18 05:35 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
I remember bay ridge back in the day. I was there a few months ago and saw a lot of those hipster type coffee shops and stuff. Thats why i thought the whole hood was gentrified. Lots of muslims chinese, and russians all over the once italian areas of brooklyn. They do NOT keep the neighborhoods up like the italians did.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: helenwheels] #940800
05/22/18 05:50 PM
05/22/18 05:50 PM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Originally Posted by helenwheels
My observations of Bay Ridge are the opposite of gentrifying. I think it's gotten more trashy, for lack of a better word. When i think of gentrification I think more whites moving in, but Bay Ridge is less white than it used to be.

86th street by Century is absolutely disgusting. 5th Avenue as well, just gross. Loads of Arabic shops, at one time they ended at about 75th street, now they come all the way up to 86th.

There are still gorgeous residential blocks between Ridge Blvd and Shore Road, with very high ticket real estate and some excellent restaurants on 3rd ave, as always, but the ethnic makeup of the place has changed dramatically.

I grew up in Dyker, went to grade school in Bay Ridge. Lived there until my early 30s. I'm still in Brooklyn about once or twice a week and we never fail to comment on how the place has changed. Had dinner at Ho'brah on 3rd and 87th just the other day, and when we parked and walked from 4th to 3rd we were shocked by all the garbage bags on the street.

Bensonhurst is practically unrecognizable. 18th avenue has Chinese storefronts all over, Bath avenue has Arabic stores everywhere, or Russian, Cropsey Ave too (although the Cropsey lounge is still there, just saw it last week). The old Deluxe theater is a giant mosque.

Shockingly, I just found out that the old Fortune Cookie chinese restaurant on 13th in Dyker has now been sold to a Puerto Rican pastor, for another branch of his church. He has a radio show or some such. That's something I could never had imagined while I was living there.

Hey helen, are you talking about the lucchese "cropsey lounge"? Where is it located?

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: Belmont] #940802
05/22/18 05:59 PM
05/22/18 05:59 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Originally Posted by Belmont
I remember bay ridge back in the day. I was there a few months ago and saw a lot of those hipster type coffee shops and stuff. Thats why i thought the whole hood was gentrified. Lots of muslims chinese, and russians all over the once italian areas of brooklyn. They do NOT keep the neighborhoods up like the italians did.

Pet accessories stores...Cupcake stores too lol. Who needs a bakery that only makes cupcakes?

Alex, it's on Cropsey avenue near 19th avenue. Still had a bunch of cars double parked outside, just like in the old days. Some street guy bars will never die, like the Homestretch on Kings Highway

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940814
05/22/18 08:27 PM
05/22/18 08:27 PM
B
Belmont Offline
Underboss
Belmont  Offline
B
Underboss
“Pet accessories stores...Cupcake stores too lol. Who needs a bakery that only makes cupcakes? “

Lol.. you are right on the money with that!!! What is up wiith cupcake stores.. they are also into dog parks and craft stores.
Lets not forget fusion food,

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940818
05/22/18 08:45 PM
05/22/18 08:45 PM
S
Slimshady Offline
Made Member
Slimshady  Offline
S
Made Member
Ofc the mob still exists there. Just not as ‘local’ as it once was. What i mean is ya dont see a wiseguy on every street corner like u used to. U prob would in staten island tho. SI is so mobbed up its crazy. Back to bensonhust, there’s actully a mob social club there. Its called the banner social club and its owned by the Bonnanos.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: Slimshady] #940821
05/22/18 10:03 PM
05/22/18 10:03 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Slimshady
SI is so mobbed up its crazy. Back to bensonhust, there’s actully a mob social club there. Its called the banner social club and its owned by the Bonnanos.

Yep, and Staten Island is mostly residential which shows you that the Mob has slowly changed (maybe from the late 90's onward) from an urban into a suburban phenomenon.. You see the same movements to the suburbs with Chicago Outfit..

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940829
05/23/18 12:08 AM
05/23/18 12:08 AM
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NYC
B
BensonHURST Offline
Bensonhurst
BensonHURST  Offline
Bensonhurst
B
Underboss
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NYC
Alot of Italians still in Dyker Heights
Bayridge below 3rd ave still alot of old money.

Other than that Bensonhurst a real shot hole very sad to see what is has become.

The Italians cashed out and moved away can't blame them.

Same thing that happened in little Italy.

So many bought houses for $30,000 and sold for $500, $600 $700 or more.

They took the money and bought houses with bigger living space and back yard and space from your neighbors.

Still LCN in B.K. underground now.
Alot of legit business

Persico still owns the best bagel store in Dyker, he has the limo service.
Vinnie T.V. owns a couple of Bagel stores a construction company.

Etc

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: helenwheels] #940834
05/23/18 04:45 AM
05/23/18 04:45 AM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Originally Posted by Belmont

Pet accessories stores...Cupcake stores too lol. Who needs a bakery that only makes cupcakes?

Alex, it's on Cropsey avenue near 19th avenue. Still had a bunch of cars double parked outside, just like in the old days. Some street guy bars will never die, like the Homestretch on Kings Highway

Hello again, tell me please is the lounge at the same spot where the Cadu lounge used to be? Or?

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: BillyBrizzi] #940853
05/23/18 10:40 AM
05/23/18 10:40 AM
F
Flushing Offline
Capo
Flushing  Offline
F
Capo
Originally Posted by BillyBrizzi
SI is so mobbed up its crazy. Back to bensonhust, there’s actully a mob social club there. Its called the banner social club and its owned by the Bonnanos.

Yep, and Staten Island is mostly residential which shows you that the Mob has slowly changed (maybe from the late 90's onward) from an urban into a suburban phenomenon.. You see the same movements to the suburbs with Chicago Outfit..

Agreed, Billy. I would add that the phenomenon started as rural (in Sicily), became urban (in NYC), and now is segwaying back to rural (Italian presence in the Poconos, PA). There are a lot of variables, however, and I doubt the mob will ever fully return to its rural roots, even in Italy. The maniacal suppression of nationalism in the western world makes the notion of a "town of Italians" or "neighborhood of Italians" seem more ludicrous every day.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940876
05/23/18 04:46 PM
05/23/18 04:46 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
This thread reminds me of that episode of The Sopranos when the old lady complains to Tony about the Puerto Ricans making noise in her building (she calls them "ni**ers"). Later in the episode, Tony is on the phone with the lady from Jamba Juice, takes one look at that wretched old woman from earlier, and decides to sell out the old neighborhood right then and there.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940890
05/23/18 05:25 PM
05/23/18 05:25 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
That would make more sense in that if the old lady lived in a $2, 3 or 4 million home like the ones in Bay Ridge and Dyker Heights, as opposed to the cold water walk up flat in Newark she had on the show.

Most people don't want to spend that kind of money on a house and then hit the main shopping area 3 blocks away and see streets full of garbage and crappy chain stores. It was once a bedroom community, like a small town in the city. Now it's overcrowded and different in a way that you can't understand unless you'd experienced it before and after. I'm sure there are paralells in many large cities.

Speaking of Bay Ridge, I came across this earlier this week

True Crime Bay Ridge: On Shore Road, the First Mafia Murder in New York
https://www.heyridge.com/2018/05/tr...road-the-first-mafia-murder-in-new-york/

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940891
05/23/18 05:44 PM
05/23/18 05:44 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
The immigrants moving in today are experiencing tenfold the challenges that immigrants of centuries' past have, especially in the Zenophobic Trump era. As far as Italians keeping the neighborhood clean or whatever, they had the unique privilege of being second and third generation residents of these working class areas just as the prosperous 20th century was taking hold. Massive government spending on basic services and maintenance in working class areas like Brooklyn during the New Deal years, along with district green lining by banks were privileges that the European immigrants of the 20th century enjoyed. Not only are these privileges non existent to today's immigrants, they weren't even available in the New Deal years to people of color.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940893
05/23/18 06:02 PM
05/23/18 06:02 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Bay Ridge was always a well to do area, not working class. Ditto Dyker. Its streets were lined with mansions, dating back to before the turn of the 20th century. Diamond Jim Brady had a home there, along with Lillian Russell, and many old NY blue blood families. Many of these homes are still there. Many others were built later. It wasn't primarily Italian, even 20 years ago. German, Irish, Norwegian, Lebanese, Greek, etc. all had large presences there.

It has become a working class area recently, in the last 20 years or so, full of newer immigrants, which is the point being made.

Bensonhurst is another matter. It was always immigrants, blue collar and working class. Not the same thing as Bay Ridge.

Again, if you aren't familiar with the area, you can't understand. All of Brooklyn isn't working class, and never was. It's a large city, with very diverse areas as far as wealth goes.

Last edited by helenwheels; 05/23/18 06:10 PM.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: helenwheels] #940894
05/23/18 06:20 PM
05/23/18 06:20 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Oh, come on. You were throwing out all of the bells and whistles.

Shockingly, I just found out that the old Fortune Cookie chinese restaurant on 13th in Dyker has now been sold to a Puerto Rican pastor, for another branch of his church.

This is Trump rally material.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940895
05/23/18 06:24 PM
05/23/18 06:24 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Ok kid. Whatever you say.

Seig heil, btw wink. Enjoy your day.

Last edited by helenwheels; 05/23/18 06:27 PM.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: Slimshady] #940897
05/23/18 06:29 PM
05/23/18 06:29 PM
Hudson County NJ
D
DB Offline
Underboss
DB  Offline
D
Underboss
Hudson County NJ
I agree and with the suburban move and internet i think their sports gambling book has exploded in size

Will be interesting how that plays out when NJ and NY have legal sports areas

It will always be there given credit and tax ( I’m not switching outside of now hitting AC for Super Bowl and March Madness

The internet and spreading out gave them access to huge swaths of gamblers that maybe didn’t have that connect in BK

If they lose big volume in sport book in the next 5-10 years your gonna have lots of guys starving
And probably doing more small time drug dealing . Sports has kept them alive and well with access
To tons of cash to fund legit rackets or a loan book

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: helenwheels] #940898
05/23/18 06:34 PM
05/23/18 06:34 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Ok kid. Whatever you say.

Seig heil, btw wink. Enjoy your day.

I'm not a kid.

And, I didn't personally insult you. I'm just challenging some of the terms you're using, which reek of zenophobia and racism.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940899
05/23/18 06:44 PM
05/23/18 06:44 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
It's xenophobia, btw. Unless you meant a fear of Mahayana Buddhists.

My points were probably more socio-economic than anything else, not that it matters. But you do you. I know enough not to take web conversations personally.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: helenwheels] #940900
05/23/18 06:55 PM
05/23/18 06:55 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Sometimes I like to spell words the way they're pronounced.

My points were probably more socio-economic than anything else,

What?

I suppose anyone could fall back on this disclaimer following a bigoted tirade.

"trashy"

"less white"

"gross...Arabic"

These are some of the words you chose in your "socio-economic" observations of modern day Brooklyn.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: OakAsFan] #940906
05/23/18 07:53 PM
05/23/18 07:53 PM
S
Slimshady Offline
Made Member
Slimshady  Offline
S
Made Member
The guy ur debating is a jerkoff. And he’s blind. Ive been to bensonhurst and bay ridge and both were gr8 experiences and the environment was very friendly. Only problem is the parking but thats always been a problem in Brooklyn. Any time a new group of people moves into an area thier unfortunately gunna be discriminated for thier culture. When italians and irish moved into Brooklyn, some bigots discriminated against them, and now the same ignorance is happening to arabs and chinese. Very unfortunate but whacha gunna do.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940907
05/23/18 08:03 PM
05/23/18 08:03 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Well, one key difference is that the immigrants of the 20th century had the fortune of being alive in a time when the U.S. was in its most prosperous century. Government spending in these working and middle class white neighborhoods was an open checkbook. These areas were also green lined by banks, (as opposed to communities of color, which were mostly shut out of the opportunity to own homes and accumulate wealth through them). This is why so many Irish and Italians were able to bolt to the suburbs. I'm not even saying these communities didn't have cultures that prided themselves on organization and cleanliness, I'm just saying they had a lot of help that people of color did not.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: Slimshady] #940908
05/23/18 08:22 PM
05/23/18 08:22 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
The guy ur debating is a jerkoff. And he’s blind. Ive been to bensonhurst and bay ridge and both were gr8 experiences and the environment was very friendly. Only problem is the parking but thats always been a problem in Brooklyn. Any time a new group of people moves into an area thier unfortunately gunna be discriminated for thier culture. When italians and irish moved into Brooklyn, some bigots discriminated against them, and now the same ignorance is happening to arabs and chinese. Very unfortunate but whacha gunna do.

The guy is a woman. Did you just call me a jerkoff?

You can disagree with anything I've said, but don't insult me or name call.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: helenwheels] #940910
05/23/18 08:28 PM
05/23/18 08:28 PM
S
Slimshady Offline
Made Member
Slimshady  Offline
S
Made Member
Bro stop bein so ignorant. The “less white” comment pretty much just proved u were ignorant. Imagine if u were arab and u read the shit u said. Prob wouldn’t like it. And i can call u a jerkoff based off of the shit u say. If u want to act stupid and ignorant don’t expect people to not think ur a jerkoff and call u out. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940911
05/23/18 08:37 PM
05/23/18 08:37 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Again, feel free to disagree with what I've said. Don't name call. It's rude, and it's against board rules.

My point about less white had to do with gentrification. The definition of gentrification is white, upper class people moving into neighborhoods that were poor and usually black or latino. That's not what happened to Bay Ridge, which is what i wrote in my post, when Belmont mentioned it had gentrified.

It's amusing being called a bigot here at GBB. Im usually being called a leftist/liberal here, so this makes for a nice change of pace.

Last edited by helenwheels; 05/23/18 08:39 PM.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940912
05/23/18 08:50 PM
05/23/18 08:50 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Jesus Christ, I can't believe this. Helen is going through a "Roseanne" transformation right before my eyes.

Re: Does LCN still exist in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst? [Re: JackieAprile] #940913
05/23/18 08:51 PM
05/23/18 08:51 PM
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Next I'll start posting tweets from Qanon...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull