GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 90 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,162
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: Turnbull] #966164
03/14/19 01:35 PM
03/14/19 01:35 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by Turnbull
Originally Posted by SC
Originally Posted by Irishman12

Thanks SC. How often do you go through blades? I've got the styptic pencil and from the research I've done, it looks like it takes some getting used to. I would be using it on my face and head as well. The razor and blades seem pretty inexpensive. Thinking about just buying what I need, giving it a shot and if I don't like it, switching back.

I-12, since I've retired I no longer shave everyday; more like 1 - 2 times a week, so my usage has of blades has dropped substantially. I buy the double edged blades in packages of one hundred each and that will last me about six months. That package costs me about $12. I shave my head also but I'm not worried about getting a super-close shave there so I use an electric razor for my head. Besides, I'd worry about getting nicks on my noggin. Your facial skin will "toughen up" a little after you shave your face regularly. Plus those blades are easier to use if you trim the top of a mustache like I do.

I use a Norelco daily because it's quick. Not as good as a blade shave, though. I've been searching for the perfect blade shave for years. The multi-blade cartridge shavers work best for me. I tried a highly touted safety razor with highly touted blades--not as good as ordinary multi-blade cartridges. Seldom shave with blades now.

Thanks TB for the feedback. What didn't you like about the safety razor?

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #967312
03/20/19 12:11 AM
03/20/19 12:11 AM
>>>OVA THERE
njcapo35 Offline
BANNED
njcapo35  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
>>>OVA THERE
SC, if you're interested???? Not my sale. was surfing the interwebs and thought it was fit with your avatar .

https://cnj.craigslist.org/clt/d/clark-vintage-humphrey-bogart-18x24/6813814916.html

"Jersey...It's where my story begins."
Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #967326
03/20/19 11:51 AM
03/20/19 11:51 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
^^^ I have that hanging up in my room. My grandmother couldn't wait to get rid of it when my grandfather passed.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: Turnbull] #967616
03/24/19 12:52 AM
03/24/19 12:52 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas

I use a Norelco daily because it's quick. Not as good as a blade shave, though. I've been searching for the perfect blade shave for years. The multi-blade cartridge shavers work best for me. I tried a highly touted safety razor with highly touted blades--not as good as ordinary multi-blade cartridges. Seldom shave with blades now.

I use a Norelco also. It's a manual one. It came with an Allen wrench which inserts into the side of the shaver head to rotate the blades.It takes a while, but it works and saves on electricity. The blades never wear out.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: Irishman12] #967617
03/24/19 02:51 AM
03/24/19 02:51 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by SC

Thanks SC. How often do you go through blades? I've got the styptic pencil and from the research I've done, it looks like it takes some getting used to. I would be using it on my face and head as well. The razor and blades seem pretty inexpensive. Thinking about just buying what I need, giving it a shot and if I don't like it, switching back.

I-12, since I've retired I no longer shave everyday; more like 1 - 2 times a week, so my usage has of blades has dropped substantially. I buy the double edged blades in packages of one hundred each and that will last me about six months. That package costs me about $12. I shave my head also but I'm not worried about getting a super-close shave there so I use an electric razor for my head. Besides, I'd worry about getting nicks on my noggin. Your facial skin will "toughen up" a little after you shave your face regularly. Plus those blades are easier to use if you trim the top of a mustache like I do.

Thanks TB for the feedback. What didn't you like about the safety razor?

Irishman, the safety razor pulled on the skin, making me back off on pressure, hence not as close or comfortable a shave as with cartridge.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #967656
03/24/19 01:46 PM
03/24/19 01:46 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
I shaved with my safety razor for the first time today and I got the same thing TB on my face. The razor seemed to pull at my skin, which I didn't like. Although, they say to give it a few times before you get comfortable with it so I'm going to continue with it for now. I shaved my head with it as well and only nicked myself one. But as you said TB, not as close of a shave. Although for a first time, not as bad as I thought it might have been. SC, how long do you use your blades for before switching to the other side of the blade or replacing it outright? I shave my face once a week (I'm lazy with it) but I shave my head about every 3 days just to give you an idea about my usage.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: Irishman12] #967661
03/24/19 02:35 PM
03/24/19 02:35 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
I shaved with my safety razor for the first time today and I got the same thing TB on my face. The razor seemed to pull at my skin, which I didn't like. Although, they say to give it a few times before you get comfortable with it so I'm going to continue with it for now. I shaved my head with it as well and only nicked myself one. But as you said TB, not as close of a shave. Although for a first time, not as bad as I thought it might have been. SC, how long do you use your blades for before switching to the other side of the blade or replacing it outright? I shave my face once a week (I'm lazy with it) but I shave my head about every 3 days just to give you an idea about my usage.

It's important to prepare the face first. The best time to shave is right after a shower when the face is at its "moistest". A good shave butter (instead of canned shaving cream) will help the pulling of the skin. This type of shaving is more labor and time intensive than a disposable cartridge with a lubricating strip. If you use plenty of warm water on your face you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

As far as the time I used one blade - I'd never use a blade more than two times (or two days) when I shaved my face. These blades lose their sharpness and deteriorate pretty quickly. I have to admit that I used a cartridge occasionally when I had to shave fast (i.e. when I overslept and didn't have much time). I liked the Gillette Atra blade with the lubricating strip. But I always felt "cleaner" with the old fashioned safety blade when I had the extra two minutes to shave my face daily. I will use an electric shaver on my head about once a week (more likely once every ten days) but my face warranted a daily shave back then.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #967664
03/24/19 02:52 PM
03/24/19 02:52 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Who knew guys paid so much attention to their face grooming. lol And here I thought guys had it pretty easy. At least you don't have to worry about night creams, make-up, hairdos and such. Ha ha.

Don't worry I'm sure you'll both look cute. wink

Me, last time I visited my brother in Michigan: "I need to fix my face before we go." My brother: "We don't have all day." lol All these years later and I still get teased. ha ha

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #967667
03/24/19 03:11 PM
03/24/19 03:11 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted by The Italian Stallionette
Who knew guys paid so much attention to their face grooming. lol

Those days are long gone for me, TIS. Now that I don't HAVE TO shave my face daily, I don't.

I started my old-fashioned method as a memorial to my dad. When I was a young kid I'd love to watch him shave and we'd bond during those times. He bought me a "play" plastic razor and a little cup with soap and a shaving brush so I'd get used to using it. Over the years I let that collection grow to usable items like a real razor, a shaving mug to hold the shaving soap and a good shaving brush to put the soap on with. Then a stand to hold the razor and brush in between shaves. Then a straight edge razor (the kind barbers used to run a leather strap over). And finally some old-fashioned after shaves and colognes (bay rum was the stuff all Brooklyn barbers used back in the day).

Amazing how one gets used to stuff like that.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: SC] #967679
03/24/19 06:37 PM
03/24/19 06:37 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by SC

It's important to prepare the face first. The best time to shave is right after a shower when the face is at its "moistest". A good shave butter (instead of canned shaving cream) will help the pulling of the skin. This type of shaving is more labor and time intensive than a disposable cartridge with a lubricating strip. If you use plenty of warm water on your face you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

As far as the time I used one blade - I'd never use a blade more than two times (or two days) when I shaved my face. These blades lose their sharpness and deteriorate pretty quickly. I have to admit that I used a cartridge occasionally when I had to shave fast (i.e. when I overslept and didn't have much time). I liked the Gillette Atra blade with the lubricating strip. But I always felt "cleaner" with the old fashioned safety blade when I had the extra two minutes to shave my face daily. I will use an electric shaver on my head about once a week (more likely once every ten days) but my face warranted a daily shave back then.

Thanks for the feedback SC. Yes, this is definitely a slower way to go and more labor intensive. I used a shaving cream on my head but a shaving oil on my face. I'll try the cream on my face next time and see if it helps any with the pulling of the skin. Also, I heard the best time to shave is right after a shower but I always shave pre-shower. I've also heard to wet a hot towel and wrap it around your head to simulate a fresh shower, but I just don't have the time for all of that lol Wow, only 2 shaves per side per blade? Geez, thought they lasted longer than that. One of the reasons I switched was to cut down on the number of times needed to switch out blades. Although these do seem to be cheaper. 5 came with the razor and I've seen on Amazon I can get a pack of 100 for about $8.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #967682
03/24/19 07:14 PM
03/24/19 07:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
I'm getting concerned. This thread is developing the trappings of a beauty parlor.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #967694
03/24/19 09:53 PM
03/24/19 09:53 PM
California

California
Oil,

Does this sort of give you the urge to get your nails done as well? 😉😂

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #967697
03/24/19 10:30 PM
03/24/19 10:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted by The Italian Stallionette
Oil,

Does this sort of give you the urge to get your nails done as well? 😉😂

TIS

Not just nails TIS, but Yoga pants too.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #968162
03/30/19 08:56 AM
03/30/19 08:56 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
SC, today I tried shaving after the shower and I do feel that's a better shave, so it looks like I'll be doing that from now on. Switched to the other side of the blade. Looks like I might get a week's use out of them. But I saw on Amazon 100 blades for $8, so that's about 2 yeas worth of blades at one a week! eek

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: Irishman12] #968170
03/30/19 10:49 AM
03/30/19 10:49 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
SC, today I tried shaving after the shower and I do feel that's a better shave, so it looks like I'll be doing that from now on. Switched to the other side of the blade. Looks like I might get a week's use out of them. But I saw on Amazon 100 blades for $8, so that's about 2 yeas worth of blades at one a week! eek

Yeah, it's really not expensive at all when it comes down to it.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: SC] #968183
03/30/19 03:50 PM
03/30/19 03:50 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Originally Posted by SC

Yeah, it's really not expensive at all when it comes down to it.

I appreciate the feedback. Still getting used to it. Nicked myself again a little (it's the area of my head in the front where it curves that I've been having trouble with). Takes more time too unfortunately but to spend $8 for almost 2 years worth of blades, I'll continue trying to adjust to it.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #970254
04/28/19 12:08 AM
04/28/19 12:08 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Hey guys, how are you all doing? I gave up reading about shaving process after a couple of posts and thanked my lucky stars I don't have to shave my face everyday. It totally makes up for not being able to pee standing up. lol

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: afsaneh77] #970256
04/28/19 01:25 AM
04/28/19 01:25 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted by afsaneh77
I gave up reading about shaving process after a couple of posts and thanked my lucky stars I don't have to shave my face everyday. It totally makes up for not being able to pee standing up.

lol lol

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: Irishman12] #970974
05/06/19 11:06 PM
05/06/19 11:06 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Irishman, another problem I have with a safety razor is that the edge is too wide to maneuver easily on and around the chin. The smaller cartridge razors get around more easily.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #971014
05/07/19 02:14 PM
05/07/19 02:14 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline
THE BOSS
Irishman12  Offline
THE BOSS

The Villa Quatro
Thanks Turnbull. I have a beard so I just need to trim it but I can definitely see how it would be difficult to maneuver with the safety razor. I primarily use it to shave my head and it can be a little troublesome with that as well. I'm sticking to it. Got 100 blades for about $9 after using the 5 that came with the initial razor. It takes a little longer to shave because I have to be more careful with it. I'm not sure if it gets a closer shave than what I was using prior. But overall, I'm happy with it (mostly due to the low cost of the blades).

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #971021
05/07/19 04:28 PM
05/07/19 04:28 PM
California

California
Off topic of beards for a moment :lol

I recently went to an awards assembly at my grandson’s elementary school. Believe it or not one of the students in his class, six grade, is actually named Luke Sky Walker. 😂 The teachers enjoy saying his name and the audience always responds. I’m sure his dad must be a Star Wars fan, because he had on a shirt that said “Luke Sky Walker’s Dad.” lol

TIS

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #971122
05/08/19 08:15 PM
05/08/19 08:15 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Just throwing in here: I got the Costco brand (Kirkland) razor with disposable cartridges. Triple blades made with "German precision". I've been using them several months, and like them quite a bit so far. I'm very erratic in shaving, have a very heavy beard, and can wipe out a Gillette double blade in one shave. I'm not sure how long the Costco blades last, because I've been disposing of them when I think to do it - I haven't had sign that the edges are beaten up, or had them get clogged with beard. The handle feels substantial and the head swivels. It's a little under $25 for the handle and the first 14 cartridges.

Last edited by mustachepete; 05/08/19 08:16 PM.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #971754
05/19/19 11:43 PM
05/19/19 11:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Are ya'll Paesani aware of this CBS Sunday Morning segment about gaining Italian citizenship?

Here's part of it: "Ferretti has found that, unlike U.S. citizenship which is based on where you were born, in Italy it's based on whether your parents had Italian blood in their veins – blood that can run down through the generations, all the way from Phil's immigrant ancestor, to him."

I guess I'm eligible to apply.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #971912
05/22/19 02:53 PM
05/22/19 02:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Okay fellow Board members, read the following mail from one of my prospective students. The class in which she has enrolled is conducted exclusively online and lasts only 30 days.Try to put yourself in my shoes: how would you respond to this student?

"I am a Dual Credit student taking your Government class over summer. I know the class starts on June 10th, and that until then I will not have access to ... assignments. During the days of June 12-17, I will be on vacation and unavailable to complete any class work during those days. Is there anything you can tell me about the structure of your class? If there is any work I can complete before class starts, I am happy to do so. If not, then I am prepared to make up everything I miss during those days."

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #971926
05/22/19 06:38 PM
05/22/19 06:38 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted by olivant
Okay fellow Board members, read the following mail from one of my prospective students. The class in which she has enrolled is conducted exclusively online and lasts only 30 days.Try to put yourself in my shoes: how would you respond to this student?

"I am a Dual Credit student taking your Government class over summer. I know the class starts on June 10th, and that until then I will not have access to ... assignments. During the days of June 12-17, I will be on vacation and unavailable to complete any class work during those days. Is there anything you can tell me about the structure of your class? If there is any work I can complete before class starts, I am happy to do so. If not, then I am prepared to make up everything I miss during those days."

Dear Student

The dates of the class run from June 10th through July {?}. You are expected to be online for all classes and to finish all assignments in a timely manner. If you cannot do so then I suggest this class is not for you.
Sincerely,

Oli, these are college level courses you're teaching, right? Summer vacation is not an option.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: SC] #971929
05/22/19 07:58 PM
05/22/19 07:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted by SC

Dear Student

The dates of the class run from June 10th through July {?}. You are expected to be online for all classes and to finish all assignments in a timely manner. If you cannot do so then I suggest this class is not for you.
Sincerely,

Oli, these are college level courses you're teaching, right? Summer vacation is not an option.

Exactly SC.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: mustachepete] #977770
09/02/19 01:41 PM
09/02/19 01:41 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally Posted by mustachepete
Just throwing in here: I got the Costco brand (Kirkland) razor with disposable cartridges. Triple blades made with "German precision". I've been using them several months, and like them quite a bit so far. I'm very erratic in shaving, have a very heavy beard, and can wipe out a Gillette double blade in one shave. I'm not sure how long the Costco blades last, because I've been disposing of them when I think to do it - I haven't had sign that the edges are beaten up, or had them get clogged with beard. The handle feels substantial and the head swivels. It's a little under $25 for the handle and the first 14 cartridges.

Just threw away my third cartridge this year.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #983936
01/02/20 07:17 PM
01/02/20 07:17 PM
California

California
I have a question.

I received a Belkin wireless phone charger for my iPhone 8 for Christmas. I really like it. What I want to know is can I leave both the adapter and the pad cord plugged in all the time, or do I have to keep it unplugged? I use it often on throughout the day. The charger isn’t working if there’s not a phone on it right? 🤔

I hope everybody had a Great holiday.

TIS

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #983939
01/02/20 07:40 PM
01/02/20 07:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
You can leave it plugged in.

Re: General Discussion Random Posts [Re: olivant] #983941
01/02/20 07:45 PM
01/02/20 07:45 PM
California

California
You can leave it plugged in.

Thanks

Hey Oli how's it going? Did you have a good Christmas/New Year?

TIS

Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull