GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 113 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,815
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,300
Posts1,058,173
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution #914035
05/30/17 05:59 AM
05/30/17 05:59 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline OP
furio_from_naples  Offline OP

naples,italy
http://gangsterreport.com/the-american-m...-j-olmos-movie/

The American Me Murders: Mexican Mafia Ordered Retribution Slayings For E.J. Olmos Movie
Scott Burnstein

Featured and Mafia and Mafia Insider and Mob Hits and Movies and West Coast

he Mexican Mafia was so offended by the critically-acclaimed 1992 film American Me, the violent and vengeful crime syndicate murdered a trio of consultants to the movie and threatened to kill the movie’s director and star Edward James Olmos, according to California State Police documents and court records. American Me is considered historical fiction, a raw and epic tale of one Hispanic man’s journey through the California prison system and his role in creating the Mexican Mafia, known around the world as “La Eme” (The ‘M’ in Spanish).

Charles (Charlie Brown) Manriquez, a Mexican Mafia member and unofficial consultant to American Me, was slain in March 1992 inside a Los Angeles housing project and La Eme stronghold less than two weeks after the film premiered. Ana (The Gang Lady) Lizarraga, a community youth counselor and official on-set paid consultant to Olmos, was shot to death in front of her house in May 1992. Manuel (Rocky) Luna, like Manriquez, a La Eme member who had served as an unpaid consultant for American Me, was killed a little over a year later. Olmos himself received a number of thinly-veiled threats on his life from the Mexican Mafia in the aftermath of the film’s release, causing him so much concern he contacted the FBI and went into seclusion for a brief period of time.

The character Olmos played in American Me was named “Santana” and based loosely on articulate and magnetic Mexican Mafia co-founder Rodolfo (Cheyenne) Cadena. The way the Santana character was portrayed in the movie is reportedly what so greatly enraged La Eme, specifically then-Godfather Joe (Peg Leg) Morgan, a fellow syndicate co-founder and close friend of Cadena’s who is also depicted in the film but called, “J.D.”(played by actor William Forsythe in the movie). Morgan wasn’t of Chicano descent, yet nevertheless rose to astronomic heights in Hispanic gang culture due to his sheer brutality and contacts he had made as a youth growing up in an all-Chicano neighborhood in East L.A.

The Mexican Mafia’s current Orange County (CA) boss, 73-year old Peter (The Fury) Ojeda, was groomed in the ways of La Eme by Cadena and Morgan in the late 1960s and early 1970s while incarcerated with them. Ojeda is on trial right now for racketeering and extortion in federal court.

La Eme was founded in around 1957 at the Deuel Vocational youth offender camp in Northern Cali’s San Joaquin County. Within a few short years, it spread like wildfire across the west coast penal system and then eventually onto the streets.

Cadena, an iconic figure in the annals of the west coast underworld, was murdered by members of rival gang, Nuestra Famillia (a Northern California Hispanic prison sect) in 1972. Morgan died of cancer behind bars in 1993, a year after American Me hit theatres and only months following him filing a lawsuit against Olmos and the makers of the film for defaming him and stealing his likeness without providing compensation.

Academy Award and Tony Award-nominee Olmos re-wrote portions of the original script, twisting the facts around in Cheyenne Cadena’s life story, at least partially, to provide the role a more redemptive quality. The rewrite didn’t sit well with Cadena’s former chums in La Eme, feeling the creative liberties Olmos took with the character were a giant affront to Cadena’s legacy as a martyr.

Most upsetting about the film to the Mexican Mafia were multiple male-rape scenes, one in which Olmos’ Santana is sexually assaulted by another inmate at the youth camp they were both in, the implication that he had trouble performing sexually with a woman and the fact the character turns his back on La Eme at the end of the movie, leading to his vicious murder by his own gang. In reality, the Mexican Mafia forbids homosexual sex and Cadena never left La Eme, nor did his comrades ever turn against him.

Mexican Mafia founders – c. 1968

Cadena was stabbed almost 100 times and thrown over a third-floor prison balcony by a group of Nuestra Familia assassins on December 17, 1972 in the wake of his controversial attempt at forging an alliance of between his Mexican Mafia, Nuestra Familia and the Black Guerilla Family (the primary African-American prison gang) fell apart. The carrying out of Santana’s murder in American Me mirrored the exact manner Cheyenne Cadena was slain.

La Eme’s dissatisfaction with the movie’s depiction of Cadena and the Mexican Mafia in general was evident within weeks of its’ March 13, 1992 premiere in theatres around the country. “Charlie Brown” Manriquez, a 53-year old La Eme gangbanger that Olmos consulted with in the years and months leading up to American Me’s 1991 shooting schedule, was gunned down inside the Ramona Gardens housing project on March 25 by the Mexican Mafia hitman team of David (Smiley) Gallardo and Randy (Cowboy) Therrien – they’d go on to be convicted in that murder, as well as others.

Ramona Gardens is located in Riverside, California and is the oldest and biggest Hispanic housing project in L.A. “The Gardens” has long been an epicenter of La Eme’s “outside” operations. Ana Lizarraga, Olmos’ No. 1 advisor on the American Me set, was an anti-gang counselor who worked at a community center inside Ramona Gardens trying to steer neighborhood youth away from a life of crime. Ligrew up in Ramona Gardens.

She was shot at point-blank range in the head by recently-paroled Mexican Mafia prospect Jose (Joker) Gonzales on May 13, 1992, executed in her driveway in front of her son and boyfriend. Besides drawing La Eme’s ire for her helping Olmos with his shaping of the syndicate’s on-screen portrayal, the 49-year old “Gang Lady” was also suspected of being a police informant.

Gonzales, just weeks removed from being sprung out of Folsom Prison, ambushed Lizarraga as she came out of her home and began packing up her car for a daytrip with her family to the beach. He was apprehended minutes later running from the scene and convicted at a forthcoming trial. Per court records, Joker Gonzales, 29 at the time of Lizarraga’s murder, received official initiation into La Eme as a reward for a job well done in killing the Gang Lady.

Similar to Charlie Brown Manriquez, Rocky Luna wasn’t a paid consultant on American Me, but aided Olmos in his research, meeting with him in both 1990 and 1991 to discuss Latino gang culture. Over the summer of 1993, Luna had upset his superiors in La Eme by dragging his feet in carrying out an assigned execution of another Mexican Mafia member. With Luna already treading on thin ice from the American Me consultation, his days were numbered.

On August 7, 1993 he was riddled with a fatal barrage of bullets while sitting behind the wheel of his car by Avenue Gang boss Alex (Pee Wee) Aguirre. The Avenue Gang is a subset of La Eme. Aguirre was convicted of the gangland slaying in 1997.

Back in the 1990s, the L.A. Times reported that as the bodies began dropping in the fallout from his movie, Olmos became so worried about his own personal safety that he arranged a meeting with retired Mexican Mafia leader and hitman, Ramon (Mundo) Mendoza and requested help. Mendoza, who penned a book about his life in La Eme (Gang of Gang’s), was the basis of a character in American Me played by Pepe Serna, famous for the chainsaw scene in 1983’s Scarface.

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: furio_from_naples] #914062
05/30/17 04:16 PM
05/30/17 04:16 PM
A
alicecooper Offline
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline
A
Underboss
My DVD has a bonus documentary on the making of the movie. I think all three of the people who were murdered are in it.

I think it's on YouTube also just look up American me documentary

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: furio_from_naples] #914082
05/30/17 09:31 PM
05/30/17 09:31 PM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss
Weird, the article says the Ramona Gardens projects are in Riverside California.
Of course it's really located in LA and is Big Hazards hood.
One of the mentioned Eme members named in the article had a house in Riverside in the 90's. Maybe that's why they got mixed up.

That movie had too much ass rape. That's where Olmos really went wrong.
Despite other inaccuracies, it was pretty decent for its time. There was still very little known the story of La Eme in the early 90s. The average gang member knew very little, so you only had rely on some law enforcement and actual members. According to Rene Boxer Enriques, that guy "Charlie Brown" that helped out as an advisor was a bum and a junkie that lived out of a garage by that time, so they considered him an embarrassment.

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: SoCalGangs] #914085
05/30/17 10:04 PM
05/30/17 10:04 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
SoCal,

Word is that a few Eme connected consultants on American Me" were hit and that Olmos had to pay money to get the contract on his head lifted.

He depicted the founder of Eme getting violated at youth detention center even though it didn't happen.

There was a greenlight on him for that.

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: getthesenets] #914087
05/30/17 10:05 PM
05/30/17 10:05 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Blood in Blood Out > American Me

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: getthesenets] #914088
05/30/17 10:16 PM
05/30/17 10:16 PM
A
alicecooper Offline
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline
A
Underboss
Originally Posted By: getthesenets

That's a tough call but I agree.

What's the song in blood in where it shows the h smuggling sequence and the guy takes the balloon out of the sewer pipe and bites right in to it? I was trying to find it on YouTube but couldn't. May be it's too hardcore for YouTube? I can't believe someone wouldn't have uploaded that...

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: furio_from_naples] #914093
05/31/17 12:54 AM
05/31/17 12:54 AM
S
SoCalGangs Offline
Underboss
SoCalGangs  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
SoCal,

Word is that a few Eme connected consultants on American Me" were hit and that Olmos had to pay money to get the contract on his head lifted.

He depicted the founder of Eme getting violated at youth detention center even though it didn't happen.

There was a greenlight on him for that.

Yeah I'm sure he did pay eventually. He was terrified during that time and basically hiding from what it sounds like.
And yeah they would've never let someone become a member knowing they were raped like that.
According to Olmos, he added that to make jail and prison life seem more brutal to scare kids from getting involved in gangs.

He was also naive about just how treacherous The politics of the Mexican Mafia really are.
He seemed to think having the approval of someone like "Charlie Brown" and others would would make him safe in making the movie. Which of course turned out to mean nothing.

Last edited by SoCalGangs; 05/31/17 03:55 PM.
Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: SoCalGangs] #914094
05/31/17 01:11 AM
05/31/17 01:11 AM
A
alicecooper Offline
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline
A
Underboss
He also got a ccw permit during the filming.

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: alicecooper] #914125
05/31/17 02:29 PM
05/31/17 02:29 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
SoCal,

In the Suge Knight thread, I put up a similar story about the filming of Boyz N The Hood.John Singleton,the director, being stubborn almost resulted in Ice Cube being shot.

When Spike Lee was filming Chiraq, major street guy out there JoJo Capone put pressure on him.

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: furio_from_naples] #914129
05/31/17 03:26 PM
05/31/17 03:26 PM
D
dsbaloo Offline
Underboss
dsbaloo  Offline
D
Underboss
For sure wrong about Ramona gardens being in riverside .its in Boyle heights..every time I've been around that neighborhood at night it's like a ghost town . Not sure if that's cause of the gang injunction or what.

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: furio_from_naples] #914161
06/01/17 03:39 AM
06/01/17 03:39 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
He filmed part of the movie in Folsom prison. Crazy huh. Here is part 3 and 4 of the four part documentary.

Here's doc part 3 of 4
https://youtu.be/tklSLZE5SRI

Part 4 of 4

https://youtu.be/dnS72s5W8Ik

The actress playing the grandma is one of the three who was killed for her participation in helping Olmos in this film. You can't be a rat. The Mexicans have a code they live by similar to the Italians. And at that time gang banging was at its peak. There were so many drive by's in the early 1990's that the county judges would lock up anyone affiliated with a gang until they were 25 years old. They pretty much locked up a whole generation. It was so bad that La M called a meeting to tell all the gang leaders around Orange County, to stop doing drive by's. No more bloodshed.

Article on meeting that Sana (Peter Ojeda) held in 1990's.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ocregiste...an-streets/amp/

Ojeda aka Sana just got 15 years and his girlfriend got 6 years

Blood In Blood Out.
La Onda https://youtu.be/BFcbh6G5Z7c

I liked Mi Familia (My Family) too. Both were authentic imo
https://youtu.be/9WRI8FNHHO8

There is no way out of La M. But if you're in a regular street gang, you can get JUMPED OUT. (Not sure what it's called nowadays) You have to go through a series of beatings from EACH gang member of your gang. Same thing goes for the female gangs.

Last edited by Alfanosgirl; 06/01/17 03:42 AM.
Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: Alfanosgirl] #914223
06/01/17 06:36 PM
06/01/17 06:36 PM
A
alicecooper Offline
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline
A
Underboss
I've almost bought my familia several times at the used DVD store, I had no memory of it from back in the day.. looks like the whole thing is on YouTube gonna have to watch it

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: alicecooper] #941041
05/24/18 10:45 PM
05/24/18 10:45 PM
WhackWhack Offline
Made Member
WhackWhack  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted by alicecooper
Originally Posted by getthesenets

That's a tough call but I agree.

What's the song in blood in where it shows the h smuggling sequence and the guy takes the balloon out of the sewer pipe and bites right in to it? I was trying to find it on YouTube but couldn't. May be it's too hardcore for YouTube? I can't believe someone wouldn't have uploaded that...

Mixing up movies. That was from American Me, the song is Slipping into Darkness by War and the character who bit into it was Puppet.

Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: furio_from_naples] #941049
05/24/18 11:18 PM
05/24/18 11:18 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
An LA Times article from around the time these murders took place quoted someone in law enforcement saying the victims were already marked for death before their involvement with the film, over other violations with la Eme. It's possible the entire movie retaliation angle is urban legend.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: alicecooper] #941050
05/24/18 11:23 PM
05/24/18 11:23 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by alicecooper
He also got a ccw permit during the filming.

He applied for one, and was denied. Los Angeles does not grant gun permits for civilians.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: The American Me Murders:La Eme Retribution [Re: furio_from_naples] #941054
05/24/18 11:37 PM
05/24/18 11:37 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
In the scene where la Eme and the black prisoners are about to fight in prison, look for the fat Latino guy all the way to the right, on the black side. I went to high school with him. He's wearing loc sunglasses with his hat bill flipped up, and a red bandanna over his forehead. I don't know why they had him marching with the black guys, but they did. Another guy I went to high school with was all the way in the back of the La Eme side, same scene, but he's out of camera view. Both these guys were Nortenos. Weird. Don't know how they got hooked up with Olmos or whoever, or why they were playing black or Sureno gangsters, respectively, but it was them. Guess they had a chance to be in the movie and jumped at it.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull