GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 74 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,190
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Alfanosgirl] #916530
07/05/17 02:25 PM
07/05/17 02:25 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Dion was absolutely one of the very best. But I have to go with Maestro as the best.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: olivant] #916538
07/05/17 09:26 PM
07/05/17 09:26 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: olivant
Dion was absolutely one of the very best. But I have to go with Maestro as the best.

Maestro had a better voice but Dion was more electrifying.

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Alfanosgirl] #916551
07/05/17 11:47 PM
07/05/17 11:47 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
I agree Oli and SC!!

Listen to this kid doing a cover of the song Why Do Fools Fall In Love by Frankie & The Teenagers

Benn Joe "Zeppa" Zeppanini is his name.
https://youtu.be/bSP6XQZusLg

Ever heard of him?

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: pizzaboy] #916552
07/06/17 12:12 AM
07/06/17 12:12 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
When Pizza comes on here I have to ask him if he's ever heard of this group because I think they're from the Bronx. They're called The Five Sharks. One of the singers is an actor now. He was in Donnie Brasco and a few other movies.

This is the other group. I think are from the Bronx. They're playing down in Wildwood though on this video. My Dad used to go see bands that added the Italian songs to their line-up. I guess that was popular back then. Was it? But, I've never heard of him mentioning this group called The Cousins.

Here is the song. Half in English half Italian.

https://youtu.be/0FSRQc0hapc

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: pizzaboy] #916553
07/06/17 12:25 AM
07/06/17 12:25 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
I must put this song up by The Channels. That's My Desire. Great song.

https://youtu.be/GJd9hDi7PNo

At the end when saying thank you, Earl Lewis reminds me of Eddie Murphy. Sounds just like him lol

Also, I never heard Dion sing Wonderful Girl by The Five Satins. So DREAMY! blush

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Alfanosgirl] #916556
07/06/17 03:02 AM
07/06/17 03:02 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
You probably know this, but...
...before they were the Four Seasons, they were the Four Lovers. Here's their first hit. Note Frankie Valli in the lead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgteu0I9fSY

Among New Yorkers of a Certain Age, this Channels hit is perhaps the most iconic Doo Wop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTktRmMHyp0

Into the Sixties, when I worked on Wall Street, I used to see Italian guys in NY Stock Exchange gray smocks, get together in office building vestibules (for the echo effect) to sing this song.

But, I prefer their second hit. I used to stay up all night, after Alan Freed went off the air, to hear Jocko Henderson play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsOtxaS9W1Y
(I had this record on 78 rpm.)

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Turnbull] #916557
07/06/17 03:19 AM
07/06/17 03:19 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Near the end of his life, Buddy Holly moved to New York City, married a Puerto Rican woman, and began diversifying his repertoire. Here he makes like the Tony Martin of Lubbock TX. Say what you want about this record, he was a real artist. Note the lavish arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjFRHIhSvwc

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Alfanosgirl] #916560
07/06/17 05:18 AM
07/06/17 05:18 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl

Listen to this kid doing a cover of the song Why Do Fools Fall In Love by Frankie & The Teenagers

Sounds a lot like Frankie Lymon.

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Turnbull] #916580
07/06/17 08:13 PM
07/06/17 08:13 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Near the end of his life, Buddy Holly moved to New York City, married a Puerto Rican woman, and began diversifying his repertoire. Here he makes like the Tony Martin of Lubbock TX. Say what you want about this record, he was a real artist. Note the lavish arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjFRHIhSvwc

I'm so impressed!! That was so lovely. Thanks for sharing.

RIP Buddy Holly

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: SC] #916581
07/06/17 08:19 PM
07/06/17 08:19 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
Originally Posted By: SC

Sounds a lot like Frankie Lymon.

I thought so too.

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Turnbull] #916582
07/06/17 09:04 PM
07/06/17 09:04 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
You probably know this, but...
...before they were the Four Seasons, they were the Four Lovers. Here's their first hit. Note Frankie Valli in the lead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgteu0I9fSY

Among New Yorkers of a Certain Age, this Channels hit is perhaps the most iconic Doo Wop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTktRmMHyp0

Into the Sixties, when I worked on Wall Street, I used to see Italian guys in NY Stock Exchange gray smocks, get together in office building vestibules (for the echo effect) to sing this song.

But, I prefer their second hit. I used to stay up all night, after Alan Freed went off the air, to hear Jocko Henderson play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsOtxaS9W1Y
(I had this record on 78 rpm.)

Yes, I do know about the Four Lovers. That's actually a pretty good song by them. Some aren't too good lol. Frankie Valli was always played in my household WAY TOO MUCH!!! But my father hung around those guys. They were acquainted through mutual friends.

I definitely posted The Closer You Are in my first list of songs because it's one I heard many times. And they still sound AMAZING singing it!!

I never knew you were on Wall St. That's a fantastic story. Did you see the subway doo wop battles too? That must have been so much fun.

Did the young people protest when Alan Freed had to go off the air? He seemed to be such an important figure of that time period.

The Gleam In Your Eye is one of my fave doo wop songs. I bought it on iTunes a couple years ago smile So, I completely understand how you would wait up until all hours of the night to listen to it. I can listen to it on repeat for hours.

I have a question for you and/or anyone else who wants to answer. Why do you think that doo wop songs have to always have the lyrics "I love you" in them? During that era did you have to tell a girl you loved her right away? Would the girls you date talk about getting married after a month of dating lol? It seems like it.

When I was younger there were places where we could go dancing or roller skating. There would of course be a DJ there. So, I would bring my records to the place because I had all the good stuff. If there was a party, I'd bring my records. Then, I started to help the cheerleaders and song leaders in junior high and high school with their dance choreography. I cannot think of a time when I was NOT dancing or listening to music. As I got older I would always get picked to go up on stage to dance. I was an assistant cheer coach for Pop Warner. I had a blast teaching kids how to cheer and had to choreograph dances for them to compete. The City of Anaheim wanted me to teach a cheer and dance class but I was much too busy at that time running my tutoring and house cleaning businesses plus going to college. So, I couldn't do it. My friends had a DJ business from the late 80's to mid 90's that I would help with. Music is my life. Right now I have my headphones on listening to my playlist as I'm typing this post. grin

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Alfanosgirl] #916649
07/08/17 12:13 AM
07/08/17 12:13 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Alf, Doo Wop music was kind of virgin music back when romance was still a huge part of song. So I love you was almost mandatory as a lyric.

By the way, Frankie Lyman or Little Anthony?

Last edited by olivant; 07/08/17 12:15 AM.

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: olivant] #916652
07/08/17 01:09 AM
07/08/17 01:09 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA
Alf, Doo Wop music was kind of virgin music back when romance was still a huge part of song. So I love you was almost mandatory as a lyric.

Makes a lot of sense, Oli. Frankie L or Little Anthony? How dare you ask me that question!! That's like asking me which of my kids I love more lol lol. I like them both equally. Who do you choose?

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Alfanosgirl] #916674
07/08/17 12:38 PM
07/08/17 12:38 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Makes a lot of sense, Oli. Frankie L or Little Anthony? How dare you ask me that question!! That's like asking me which of my kids I love more lol lol. I like them both equally. Who do you choose?

Mi dispiace!

I go with Little Anthony. As I posted before, Mary Lou had one heck of a record collection and it included alot of LA. But Frankie is a close 2nd.

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: olivant] #916683
07/08/17 02:23 PM
07/08/17 02:23 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA

Mi dispiace!

I go with Little Anthony. As I posted before, Mary Lou had one heck of a record collection and it included alot of LA. But Frankie is a close 2nd.

I was just busting you. Although it is true I really wouldn't be able to choose who I like better Their records were ALWAYS on. I overloaded on Tears on My Pillow and Why Do Fools Fall in Love so much that I don't have them on my doo wop Youtube playlist. And they are great songs. I can't listen to them anymore if that makes any sense. Same with most of Frankie Valli's stuff. Major overload.

Even in the early 80's those two groups were still popular. Down the Jersey shore on the boardwalk there would be a weekend show . One summer I saw almost all the performances. But, the one that stuck out in mind was of this girl who was 9 singing both the Lil Anthony & Frankie L songs. She was so very talented.

Here is a video you may like of Little Anthony and the Imperials. I thought it was pretty interesting. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/NyquD-YSQsw

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Alfanosgirl] #916739
07/09/17 04:26 PM
07/09/17 04:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

Did the young people protest when Alan Freed had to go off the air? He seemed to be such an important figure of that time period.

No. Here's the story:
Just before the House of Representatives adjourned for the T'giving/Xmas/New Year's break late in '59, the same subcommittee that investigated the quiz shows said it would investigate "payola" when the House reconvened in January, 1960. The New York DA, anxious to get in his dibs before Congress did, immediately brought charges of "commercial bribery" (payola) against Freed and several other NY-area DJs. But, by that time, doo wop was in a steep decline that had begun more than year ago as groups dissolved, kids got older and tastes changed. Murray "the K" Kaufman became the new NYC top DJ. Young people were satisfied with him. He did stage shows, too.

Quote:
I have a question for you and/or anyone else who wants to answer. Why do you think that doo wop songs have to always have the lyrics "I love you" in them? During that era did you have to tell a girl you loved her right away? Would the girls you date talk about getting married after a month of dating lol? It seems like it.

It was standard for the era, Alf--all the songs, including the bland "pop" songs and ballads of the time, had lyrics with moon/spoon, love/stars above, etc., because they couldn't be more explicit. No radio station would have played some of the songs we hear today wink

Speaking of ballads, here's one that Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers did. Really high-class stuff for that era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KOCYWKGwI

Re: Doo Wop Groups That Still Sound Good [Re: Turnbull] #916757
07/10/17 03:34 AM
07/10/17 03:34 AM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline OP
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline OP
Underboss
NJ/CA

No. Here's the story:
Just before the House of Representatives adjourned for the T'giving/Xmas/New Year's break late in '59, the same subcommittee that investigated the quiz shows said it would investigate "payola" when the House reconvened in January, 1960. The New York DA, anxious to get in his dibs before Congress did, immediately brought charges of "commercial bribery" (payola) against Freed and several other NY-area DJs. But, by that time, doo wop was in a steep decline that had begun more than year ago as groups dissolved, kids got older and tastes changed. Murray "the K" Kaufman became the new NYC top DJ. Young people were satisfied with him. He did stage shows, too.

Quote:

It was standard for the era, Alf--all the songs, including the bland "pop" songs and ballads of the time, had lyrics with moon/spoon, love/stars above, etc., because they couldn't be more explicit. No radio station would have played some of the songs we hear today wink

Speaking of ballads, here's one that Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers did. Really high-class stuff for that era:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KOCYWKGwI

Great post! I'm learning so much!!

I plan to respond in a more lengthy post when I have more time. Things are pretty crazy here today and will be for the next couple of days. To be continued.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull