GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (furio_from_naples, 1 invisible), 117 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,355
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,735
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,283
Posts1,057,853
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909563
03/27/17 01:00 PM
03/27/17 01:00 PM
F
faffy444 Offline
Made Member
faffy444  Offline
F
Made Member
adamrski

i read it in an article about the todaro's doing a good job of putting the family back together again in upstate n.y.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: faffy444] #909567
03/27/17 01:51 PM
03/27/17 01:51 PM
A
AdamRski Offline
Button
AdamRski  Offline
A
Button
Originally Posted By: faffy444
adamrski

i read it in an article about the todaro's doing a good job of putting the family back together again in upstate n.y.

Interesting. Sorry, I'm just a bit skeptical of that particular claim. That would be like a small family in Binghamton in the mid 90s and I can't quite bring myself to accept that. Doesn't really fit with everything else. Because weren't they saying about ten years later that the Buffalo family only had 20-30 members total in New York?

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909568
03/27/17 02:41 PM
03/27/17 02:41 PM
F
faffy444 Offline
Made Member
faffy444  Offline
F
Made Member
again keep in mind that all 11 may not have been active. my guess is the majority of them were retired or semi retired at the time, but the FBI did identify them as made members. remember you are made for life................or death.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: BillyBrizzi] #909596
03/27/17 09:30 PM
03/27/17 09:30 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: BillyBrizzi
Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples

Billy they had the seat because Magaddino was the cousin of Joe Bonanno.

I don't agree on this one Fur, Maggadino was a power in his own right.

Bonanno wasn't that powerful at all when the Commission was created in 1931. He was very young and probably the least powerful boss at that time. I think it was more the other way around, Bonanno was made boss of the Castellamarese after Maranzano died because of Maggadino's influence.

I don't agree with this for the most part. Do you not recall that Joe Bonanno was a founding member of Lucky Luciano's "Commission" post the Castellamarese war? This is fact. He was the youngest boss to ever head a family, especially in the midst of the jungle that NY's underworld was at the time. He was basically Maranzano's second in command towards the end of that conflict. He wasn't placed on the Commission simply because Maranzano said so, Bonanno was an accomplished guy in his own right. And in many ways Maggadino was jealous of his younger cousin, because despite bringing him to the US, and basically giving him a crew out right, which consisted of Willie Moretti, Bonanno simply surpassed him in power, this didn't take long to occur, according to Bonanno's own words.

Either way, they were both powers at the time you're speaking of, so trying to argue whom was more powerful than the other and who got a commission seat because of whom, is ridiculous. And at no point do I think the Buffalo family had 200 made guys. Buffalo was a powerful family at one point, however the fact is they never surpassed ANY of the NY families in terms of power at any point in time. And some NY families didn't even cap 200 made members.

And Buffalo is dead. There is simply NOTHING GOING ON. I really wish people would kill these rumors, like Todaro Jr putting ANYTHING back together. It's not happening.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 03/27/17 09:31 PM.
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909602
03/28/17 01:30 AM
03/28/17 01:30 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
I'll say this, it's silly to assume they woulda made Bonnano a boss cause he was Maggadinos cousin.

It's equally silly to assume they woulda made Maggadino a boss just cause he was Bonnanos cousin.

Cause them being cousins doesn't put money in anyone's pocket. They were BOTH LEGIT, Maggadino, cause of his families history in Sicily. They wiped out the Bucellatos, I think. Bonnano made his bones in the war, under Maranzano, plus he came from a mafia family anyway.

But at this point, he wasn't like rich yet. He didn't control any huge rackets he could cut people in on, ( in his book, he declines an offer for a piece of the Garment Center, so not to be beholden to Lucky..) He's a Youngster.

Like, a guy like Luciano was rich, guys like Maggadino and Bonnano were MAFIA.. Bonnano got a seat cause they didn't want to war with him, basically. He coulda kept it going after Maranzano got hit, all the La Marese guys woulda did whatever he told em, but HE wasn't happy with Maranzano either. You could say him being closer to Luciano's age, having similar interest, was a great factor too.

I really don't know why people get hung up on the made guys. ANY numbers from the sixties have to be taken with a grain of salt. The FBI didn't really know shit. They were playing catch up with all their black bag ops, the FBN were guys who knew what was up. All the FBIs numbers seem inflated at that time. Plus you gotta factor in the publicity component, how law enforcement exaggerates and shit.

Like I said in a previous post, if the Gambinos and Genovese could have 500-600 guys, Buffalo coulda had 200. But if we use common sense and see the numbers are basically kinda tripled, that woulda put Buffalo at about 60-70.
Those sixties numbers are goofy...

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909635
03/28/17 12:40 PM
03/28/17 12:40 PM
F
faffy444 Offline
Made Member
faffy444  Offline
F
Made Member
magaddino and bonanno both came from sicilian mafia royalty. both were heavyweights in their own right. there are those who believed that magaddino was the top castelammarese, not maranzano. that could have been true, but don stefano was wily enuf, and smart enuf to stay on the outskirts of the fray.

remember magaddino was the leader of the good killers, and very well connected in the u.s. and sicily. that catapulted him to being made the buffalo boss in 1922, while bonanno was only 17 at that time. magaddino didnt need bonanno to be made boss. i also think bonanno didnt need magaddino to become a boss. bonaano was well respected among the castelammarese in n.y.

my belief is the familys were larger in the 40's, 50's, and 60's than most believe. in the book honor thy father bill bonanno stated that the bonanno family had 400 members in 1965, and were considered to be one of the smaller n.y. families. in the early 1960's the FBI estimated 2700 made men in n.y./n.j. personally i think that was a reasonable assessment. as italians were the largest ethnic group in the area during the 40's thru 60's time frame.

i continue to allege the buffalo family had 200 made menders during the time frame i pointed out. my guess is if you go back to the 1930's and 1940's the buffalo family probably had more than 200 members.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: SinatraClub] #909639
03/28/17 01:36 PM
03/28/17 01:36 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
And in many ways Maggadino was jealous of his younger cousin, because despite bringing him to the US, and basically giving him a crew out right, which consisted of Willie Moretti, Bonanno simply surpassed him in power, this didn't take long to occur, according to Bonanno's own words.

Are you talking about Willie Moretti the underboss of the Genoveses based in New Jersey?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: faffy444] #909642
03/28/17 01:51 PM
03/28/17 01:51 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
magaddino and bonanno both came from sicilian mafia royalty. both were heavyweights in their own right. there are those who believed that magaddino was the top castelammarese, not maranzano. that could have been true, but don stefano was wily enuf, and smart enuf to stay on the outskirts of the fray.

remember magaddino was the leader of the good killers, and very well connected in the u.s. and sicily. that catapulted him to being made the buffalo boss in 1922, while bonanno was only 17 at that time. magaddino didnt need bonanno to be made boss. i also think bonanno didnt need magaddino to become a boss. bonaano was well respected among the castelammarese in n.y.

my belief is the familys were larger in the 40's, 50's, and 60's than most believe. in the book honor thy father bill bonanno stated that the bonanno family had 400 members in 1965, and were considered to be one of the smaller n.y. families. in the early 1960's the FBI estimated 2700 made men in n.y./n.j. personally i think that was a reasonable assessment. as italians were the largest ethnic group in the area during the 40's thru 60's time frame.

i continue to allege the buffalo family had 200 made menders during the time frame i pointed out. my guess is if you go back to the 1930's and 1940's the buffalo family probably had more than 200 members.

I'm one of those who also believe those numbers are exaggerated. I think the families' numbers in New York in the 1950s were probably similar to the numbers of the 1980s when the families had replenished their numbers after the books were re-opened in 1976.

I think Buffalo may have had close to 100 members at their height, but probably closer to 75 or as few as 60. It was a midsized family similar to Detroit and Philly.

I wonder since Magaddino was named boss whether Buffalo had a large Castellammarese community that was of influence in his election?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: Sonny_Black] #909817
03/30/17 10:18 PM
03/30/17 10:18 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
And in many ways Maggadino was jealous of his younger cousin, because despite bringing him to the US, and basically giving him a crew out right, which consisted of Willie Moretti, Bonanno simply surpassed him in power, this didn't take long to occur, according to Bonanno's own words.

Are you talking about Willie Moretti the underboss of the Genoveses based in New Jersey?

Yes, in Bonannos book he says the first guy he was introduced to was Willie Moretti. And that Moretti, I believe was the one whom picked him up from the airport and showed the ropes for a while before he got established in NY basically.

Bonannos father, and his ancestors were also a part of the Maggadino clan in Sicily and participated in the Buccellato War, and basically contributed to some of the murders of their guys. So Bonanno also had that going for him just as Maggadino did. Maggadino was the leader of the Good Killers, which was basically the US version of the Maggadino clan whose mission was to wipe out the remaining Buccellato's whom made it to America and their allies. They succeeded for the most part, so Maggadino could've very well carried considerable weight based on that as well.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909831
03/31/17 10:46 AM
03/31/17 10:46 AM
F
faffy444 Offline
Made Member
faffy444  Offline
F
Made Member
willie moretti was dispatched by stefano magaddino to florida to get joe bonanno and their mutual cousin peter magaddino out of hock from customs officials .

willie moretti at the time was a member of the magaddino family, and was located here in niagara falls n.y. moretti lived in niagara falls from about 1923 thru approx 1927 then moved on to new jersey and was a member of the luciano/costello /genovese family.

Last edited by faffy444; 03/31/17 10:47 AM.
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909926
04/01/17 11:50 AM
04/01/17 11:50 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Online content
furio_from_naples  Online Content

naples,italy
This page of mary ferrell'site on some made men names in the 1960s

Attached Files magaddino family.pngmagaddino family 2.pngmagaddino family 3.pngmagaddino family 4.pngmagaddino family 5.png
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909928
04/01/17 11:55 AM
04/01/17 11:55 AM
naples,italy

naples,italy
OTHER NAMES

Attached Files magaddino family 6.pngmagaddino family 7.pngmagaddino family 8.png
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: Sonny_Black] #909932
04/01/17 01:17 PM
04/01/17 01:17 PM
F
faffy444 Offline
Made Member
faffy444  Offline
F
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

I'm one of those who also believe those numbers are exaggerated. I think the families' numbers in New York in the 1950s were probably similar to the numbers of the 1980s when the families had replenished their numbers after the books were re-opened in 1976.

I think Buffalo may have had close to 100 members at their height, but probably closer to 75 or as few as 60. It was a midsized family similar to Detroit and Philly.

I wonder since Magaddino was named boss whether Buffalo had a large Castellammarese community that was of influence in his election?

to answer your question, yes buffalo did have a large castelammarese community during magaddino's reign. as did binghamton n.y., and detroit mich. the largest castelammarese group was in brooklyn.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909941
04/01/17 03:35 PM
04/01/17 03:35 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
Im the book Fatal Hour: The Assassination of President Kennedy by Organized Crime of Bob Berkeley is said that in the 1960s the Magaddino had 300 "members" so I think that the numbers included also the associates.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909961
04/02/17 06:23 AM
04/02/17 06:23 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
I'm still trying to find which thread it was, but there was a link to the Mary Ferrell docs, in it they had the Gambinos at 1000 members. That was when I said, " okay, the Feds were playing catch up still"... If you had the standard ten made guys per crew, you are talking about a hundred capos. I've heard as many as thirty for the Gambinos, but a hundred???!!!!

(It's something that inadvertently gives credence to the Gambinos selling memberships' but that another thread...)

If that's true, then sure, Buffalo coulda have two or even three hundred guys. It woulda still meant the Gambinos were five times bigger. And if you think the Gambinos were about 300, then the same rate of like 5-1 could apply, and that would have Buffalo at 60 guys. So to me either way, 200 or 60 are plausible, but I think the smaller number more likely.

But it's compelling, the MAFIA WAS STRONG AS HELL DURING THIS PERIOD. Think about it, the Yakuza ( the organization most similar to the Sicilian mafia, to me) could support 10-15 or 20 thousand guys. At the height of mafia power, I certainly think they coulda supported 2700 guys....mThe UNIONS alone might have been able to support 2000 guys, I dunno. It's an interesting question, the numbers of made guys during that period.

Last edited by CabriniGreen; 04/02/17 06:26 AM.
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #909979
04/02/17 05:46 PM
04/02/17 05:46 PM
naples,italy

naples,italy
CabriniGreen I think that at the beginings the Fbi due the lack of informants inflationated the numbers didnt make a divisione between made members and italian associates,because until the 1970s the mob prefered to had more italians as associates and not all members. The fbi thinked that all people with a italian surname was a soldiers so the 1000 gambino made men.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: faffy444] #935218
03/28/18 12:37 PM
03/28/18 12:37 PM
NickleCity Offline
Capo
NickleCity  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by faffy444
this article is basically the same article the local media has been writing about the magaddino family for the past 40 years. take it with a grain of salt. yes the buffalo family did have 200 members at one point, perhaps more.

Yeah, I think LeeCoppola wrote pretty much the same thing in '98. Here is the link:
The Withered Arm-1998

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #935221
03/28/18 01:05 PM
03/28/18 01:05 PM
Peoria,Illinois
S
Sonny_from_Peoria Offline
ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sonny_from_Peoria  Offline
ACCOUNT CLOSED
S
Made Member
Peoria,Illinois
Interesting I never knew Joe Scalise was in Buffalo I wonder which boss sent him there

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: Sonny_from_Peoria] #935229
03/28/18 01:56 PM
03/28/18 01:56 PM
NickleCity Offline
Capo
NickleCity  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by Sonny_from_Peoria
Interesting I never knew Joe Scalise was in Buffalo I wonder which boss sent him there

LOL--I think that Chicago Mobster was called "Withererhand."

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #1081665
01/30/24 08:21 AM
01/30/24 08:21 AM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/...b213760-bb91-11ee-97e0-535453324230.html

Pharaoh's case isn't the first that linked an Outlaws leader to a witness' death///// Federal prosecutors have focused most of their charges on Gerace, the Pharaoh’s owner who is Ermin’s boss there.

Gerace is the nephew of Joseph A. Todaro, owner of La Nova Pizza, who federal prosecutors and agents have accused of running the Buffalo Mafia.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #1081680
01/30/24 01:33 PM
01/30/24 01:33 PM
M
mike68 Offline
Underboss
mike68  Offline
M
Underboss
Real interesting read, there is definitely something still going on in Buffalo. I'm not sure how long a smaller outfit can last though.

Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: mike68] #1081688
01/30/24 02:31 PM
01/30/24 02:31 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

Originally Posted by mike68
Real interesting read, there is definitely something still going on in Buffalo. I'm not sure how long a smaller outfit can last though.

I think Buffalo will do all right. The Hamilton Mafia have become stronger so one will compliment the other. Some experts have said that the Ndrangheta may help revive some American CN families and there is plenty of Ndrangheta on the Canadian side. We will see if it happens.

Last edited by Ciment; 01/30/24 02:36 PM.
Re: The Mafia is dead in W. New York - Buffalo News [Re: LuanKuci] #1082556
02/07/24 10:39 PM
02/07/24 10:39 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

https://torontosun.com/news/world/h...s-a-dead-ex-stripper-outlaws-and-the-mob

HUNTER: Buffalo trial has alleged dirty cops, a dead ex-stripper, Outlaws and the Mob

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull