GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 96 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,190
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Selwyn Raab updating Five Families #899873
11/27/16 01:17 PM
11/27/16 01:17 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline OP
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline OP
ForeverBotheringIranians

http://aboutthemafia.com/mafia-resurgenc...k#disqus_thread

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/is-the-american-mafia-on-the-rise-w451888

Sounds like he's talking about a couple of people here (and on The Black Hand).

Quote:
You write that the Mob has become a "perennial favorite theme for the entertainment industry." How has this helped them in the modern age?

There are an immense amount of mafia groupies. There's a perverse aspect to this because it gets kids and young people interested in this feeling that [Mafia members] lives are glamorous and a way of beating the system. Hollywood and TV don't dismiss them as venal or pernicious. I think for very vulnerable people you get this vicarious kick that there's something to this life. Part of it comes from this anti-establishment thing. John Gotti personified this, that by being anti-establishment, anti-government you could somehow succeed in life and be envied. Look at Gotti's grandson's wedding last year; he collected two million dollars and the place was swamped with people giving him gifts. [The entertainment industry] turns these people into icons and interesting characters who are anti-society. It doesn't make them look like they're token bad guys.

A great example was Sammy "The Bull" Gravano; when he saw The Godfather he was in his late teens and he said it made him feel proud to be an Italian and to join the Mafia. And that movie is repeated endlessly. What The Godfather also does is establish that there is good mafia and bad mafia by essentially showing a white hat mafia that was opposed to the introduction of narcotics, which was a total lie and mischaracterization. But the point was there were still Mafiosi who were doing good work, and that there were traditions that were virtuous. This helps them.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Selwyn Raab updating Five Families [Re: Moe_Tilden] #899926
11/27/16 11:20 PM
11/27/16 11:20 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I will wait on line to buy the updated version. "Five Families" is the Bible.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Selwyn Raab updating Five Families [Re: Moe_Tilden] #899935
11/28/16 12:34 AM
11/28/16 12:34 AM
Y
yatescj7 Offline
Capo
yatescj7  Offline
Y
Capo
That Rolling Stones article sums it up perfectly. Sewlynn Raab, the "Mafia Expert". I did like his book. Pretty factual. Then he mentions the "mafia groupies". The title should be reversed. He is a "mafia groupie". He does it for the money. His so called "groupies" do it for the interest and passion. We don't get paid. He does it for the money, doesn't feel the need to fact check or employee a groupie. Lol. If he had, he would know that Gravano was born in March of 1945. He couldn't have seen The Godfather in his late teens. It was released in March of 1972 when Sammy the Bull was almost 27 years old. Little shit like that makes me believe we the "groupies" know way more than the "expert". Just not to the masses that are just becoming interested. That needs to change.

Re: Selwyn Raab updating Five Families [Re: Turnbull] #900985
12/08/16 01:28 PM
12/08/16 01:28 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Turnbull

anything on a supposed release? I know the current one is also a revised edition with a look into the early 2000s.

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Selwyn Raab updating Five Families [Re: Mukremin] #901024
12/08/16 05:20 PM
12/08/16 05:20 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mukremin

anything on a supposed release? I know the current one is also a revised edition with a look into the early 2000s.

I bought the new version of the book a couple of weeks ago Mukremin, I already had the e-book version but I also wanted the book in physical form because it's one of my favorite books of all time.

To be honest, the added content was a bit disappointing in that it was only a new preface of 5 pages.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Selwyn Raab updating Five Families [Re: BillyBrizzi] #901089
12/09/16 04:23 AM
12/09/16 04:23 AM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: BillyBrizzi

I bought the new version of the book a couple of weeks ago Mukremin, I already had the e-book version but I also wanted the book in physical form because it's one of my favorite books of all time.

To be honest, the added content was a bit disappointing in that it was only a new preface of 5 pages.

Thanks Billy, would you mind sharing it? Any new information or new names?

I want to buy it too, but dont know on eBay which one is the new version

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Selwyn Raab updating Five Families [Re: Mukremin] #901130
12/09/16 02:10 PM
12/09/16 02:10 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: BillyBrizzi

Thanks Billy, would you mind sharing it? Any new information or new names?

I want to buy it too, but dont know on eBay which one is the new version

No nothing new really, at least nothing that wasn't discussed already on this board.

He talks about that recent East Coast LCN Enterprise indictment with Joey Merlino and Patsy Parello and how it was somewhat of a new development that 4 of the 5 families together with the Philly boss were allegedly working together very intensively.

He also discusses very briefly the cases John Gotti jr had in the last 10 years, the Ligambi trial/wiretap by Stefanelli and the arrests in the so-called Mafia Takedown Day in 2011.

He states that the the Five Families have been very stable the last decade and that their overall numbers of 700 to 800 made men are not very far off from their highpoint of 1000 in the 80's.

He ends the prologue with discussing how Hollywood can't get enough from the mob as a subject and talks about the various shows and movies from the last decade like 'Boardwalk Empire' and the upcoming movie 'The Life and Death of John Gotti' which will star John Travolta.

Last edited by BillyBrizzi; 12/09/16 02:11 PM.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull