GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 85 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,399
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,292
Posts1,058,085
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + #888063
07/18/16 08:48 PM
07/18/16 08:48 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline OP
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
In the interest of sparking some new mob discussion and seeing the board is seriously lacking, i thought i'd pose this question(not saying my topics are any better or worse than anyones)...who is the longest running boss of any mob family in the US from 2000+ on? For this question, Id say if you get locked up even though they could and are likely still in charge, that would interrupt their time for the purposes of this thread..

My vote would have to John DiFronzo of the Chicago outfit....Although currently he may very well be retired and Solly D the new boss or at least front boss..DiFronzo I believe had an uninterrupted run for the last 16 years? Next I would have to say Steven Crea and or Joe Ligambi? They both had 10 years on the seat, 11 I believe for Ligambi before that trial started and Crea I think at least since he got outta prison in 2006? I may have his dates wrong so feel free to correct...also theres the issue that both Crea and Ligambi may very well have been just acting bosses for Vic Amuso and Joey Merlino respectively. although idc what anyone says, PB always said Crea was the man in charge, and I dont believe Amusos giving any approval on who to make and to me thats a pretty defining trait for a boss. However, Ligambi may have needed Joeys okay on who to make based on the Nicky Skins tapes.....any thoughts? How about a top 3-5 of longest serving bosses?

Last edited by mikeyballs211; 07/18/16 08:49 PM.

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888066
07/18/16 09:00 PM
07/18/16 09:00 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

You would have to include acting bosses if you want to consider either Crea or Ligambi because that's what they were/are.

Anyway, if the question is longest running since 2000, it would be Vic Amuso and Carmine Persico because they have all been the official boss of their families over that time period. John DiFronzo, also, but he may no longer be boss so I'm not sure about him. I don't recall off the top of my head exactly when Joey Merlino became official boss after Natale flipped.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 07/18/16 09:05 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888069
07/18/16 09:09 PM
07/18/16 09:09 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Ivy i specified that I was asking about acting bosses on the street, not ones incarcerated. Though they may be ones with the final say...I just meant bosses active on the street in power...I realize Ligabmi was likely acting, and its disputed if Crea is acting or official so I'll give you that....But besides Di Fronzo..who else would you say?

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888071
07/19/16 12:02 AM
07/19/16 12:02 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Then under that criteria it would be DiFronzo since Amuso and Persico were in prison the whole time, Merlino was in prison for part of that time, Ligambi was/is an acting boss, and Crea was/is underboss/acting boss. Internet poster's opinions that disagree with what the feds and Capeci says doesn't really rate as "disputed" in my book.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888077
07/19/16 02:18 AM
07/19/16 02:18 AM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Ligambi
Baby shacks
Jack Tocco
Peter limone

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888101
07/19/16 10:41 AM
07/19/16 10:41 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Domenico Cefalù from 2011
Steven Crea from 2013

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888108
07/19/16 01:08 PM
07/19/16 01:08 PM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
Liborio bellomo , John gambino , Steve crea , Andrew Russo , I think these guys have been in charge since the early 2000s

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888109
07/19/16 01:21 PM
07/19/16 01:21 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

The old guy in rhode island baby shacks had a good run from 1995 when frank salemmi went on the run. He just step up and took over. He stepped down as boss for peter limone in 2009. Guess he wanted peter to be boss all the way back to 2003 when he was released.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888110
07/19/16 01:22 PM
07/19/16 01:22 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Flemmi testified once he went on the run all his money came to a stop also brother was locked up n 95 96.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: gangstereport] #888123
07/19/16 07:51 PM
07/19/16 07:51 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Originally Posted By: gangstereport
Ligambi
Baby shacks
Jack Tocco
Peter limone

Gr good call with jack tocco he died a free man fuckin 30 year reign 2 years in the can

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: domwoods74] #888124
07/19/16 07:52 PM
07/19/16 07:52 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Liborio bellomo , John gambino , Steve crea , Andrew Russo , I think these guys have been in charge since the early 2000s

Dom- good point with Bellomo and Russo even if they were or are both acting at some point....in regards to John Gambino was he ever the official boss or I thought just a member of a ruling panel?.. How long he been free?

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: IvyLeague] #888126
07/19/16 08:00 PM
07/19/16 08:00 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Then under that criteria it would be DiFronzo since Amuso and Persico were in prison the whole time, Merlino was in prison for part of that time, Ligambi was/is an acting boss, and Crea was/is underboss/acting boss. Internet poster's opinions that disagree with what the feds and Capeci says doesn't really rate as "disputed" in my book.

Thanks ivy and i agree with you that DiFronzo is the number 1... In regards to Crea dont jump down my throat bc i know we've had this argument before but has Capeci or the Feds said that Amuso is calling any shots, or authorizing who and when to make guys? To me that's the difference between Lukes and Columbos.. Ive read Carmine still gives orders and still approves new members.. Ive never read at least since 2002ish that Vic Amuso is doing either? I know your research is impeccable so if you have a source that says otherwise ill stand corrected i just dont recall that at all?

Also ivy for arguments sake say you dont have a source saying Amuso still gives orders, or approves made guys, then even tho hes still listed on some arbitrary chart or according to Capeci's chart, then Steven Crea is the actual boss? Again im not trying dispute ur research and I couldn't care less one way or the other so please dont say i want my theory to be true, im just going off of my own logic?... I think we would both agree that amuso is def receiving an envelope but his brother Bobbys dead so he doesnt have any direct conduit or rep on the street right? Ill be happy to admit you're right if you have some sources but until then im still skeptical...anyone else have an opinion or info on this debate?

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888134
07/19/16 08:57 PM
07/19/16 08:57 PM
Zavattoni Offline
Underboss
Zavattoni  Offline
Underboss
I don't understand. Why would anyone be taking orders from Amuso while he's in prison? He's in there for life, and has little support from the streets. He and Casso ruined that family. My opinion is, Crea holds all the power.

“I called your f—— house five times yesterday, now, if you’re going to disregard my m—– f—— phone calls, I’ll blow you and that f —— house up… This is not a f—— game. My time is valuable. If I ever hear anybody else calls you and you respond within five days, I’ll f—— kill you.” ~ John Gotti.
Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888135
07/19/16 09:05 PM
07/19/16 09:05 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Remember this Gang Land article? Several law enforcement and mob sources all said that Amuso remains the official boss. The idea that he's not come largely from conjecture and guessing by some posters on the forums.

Vic Amuso Begins His 24th Year In Federal Custody As Luchese Family Boss

Next Monday marks the 23d anniversary of the day when two young FBI agents standing at a shopping mall outside of Scranton, Pennsylvania made one of the great collars in mob history. The target was Vittorio (Vic) Amuso, the fugitive boss of the Luchese crime family who had been on the lam for more than a year. All agents Stephen Byrne and Cindy Peil had to go on were some old photos. But they also had listened to a recording of Amuso talking on a wiretap. So as soon as they heard the distinctive high-pitched voice of the man wearing shades and a baseball cap speaking on a mall payphone they knew they had their man.

The 79-year-old wiseguy has been behind bars ever since. But while the feds can take a gang land chief out of circulation, they can't take his Mafia crown away from him. And from that day forward, even though he's been in federal custody for nearly a quarter century, Vic Amuso has remained the undisputed boss of his crime family.

That's right, uninterrupted. Despite what you may have read earlier — right here in Gang Land — Amuso's reign has been continuous since he took over in 1986 after his predecessor, Antonio (Tony Ducks) Corallo, was convicted in the historic Commission case, sentenced to 100 years, and ceded his lofty post to Amuso. Despite pressure from some underlings, and the difficulty of running a crime family from cells in the multiple prisons where he's been confined since his 1992 conviction, Amuso has retained his spot atop the battered borghata.

In other words, scratch that erroneous report that appeared here back in February, 2012 that Amuso had been replaced by longtime acting boss Steven (Stevie Wonder) Crea. Wrong. Maybe it was wishful thinking on the part of some otherwise usually reliable sources, but it turns out the rumors of Little Vic's alleged demise as Luchese boss were greatly exaggerated.

Don't get the wrong idea: Gang Land did not receive an official communique on the subject from Amuso, who is serving his life sentence these days at a medium security prison in Maryland. And neither Crea, 66, nor Matthew Madonna, 78, who sources say is Stevie Wonder's right-hand-man and serves as Amuso's "street boss," have contacted us either. Law enforcement authorities also offered no official comment on the matter.

But enough sources have since come forward to dispute the earlier claim about Amuso stepping down, that we now set the record straight: Vic Amuso remains the official boss of the Luchese crime family.

The closest thing to an official confirmation about Amuso's status came in April from the testimony by FBI agent Kenneth Terracciano at the racketeering trial of Luchese mobster Nicodemo Scarfo Jr. in Camden Federal Court. Terracciano, a Newark-based G-man, offered a simple declarative sentence on the matter: Amuso, he said, "is the boss of the Luchese family."

That claim has since been bolstered by several well-placed law enforcement and underworld sources, all of whom agree that Vic is still on top.

Not only is he still running the show, Amuso has no intention of giving up his post until he leaves the custody of the federal Bureau of Prisons, "one way or the other," said one law enforcement official. Sources say Amuso's mindset is the same as two contemporary mob bosses who died in prison, John Gotti and Vincent (Chin) Gigante, as well as Colombo boss Carmine (Junior) Persico, who's been incarcerated since 1984.

"By now," added the official, whom we'll identify as LEO#1 (Law Enforcement Official #1), "Vic knows he's not walking out; he's getting out in a body bag."

"There is no doubt, Vic is the man, end of story," agreed a second longtime mob buster who's been making cases against New York wiseguys for more than 20 years. "Vic has always been the (Luchese) boss," said LEO#2.

The longtime mob buster, as well as a third official, LEO#3, noted that when Amuso's wife Barbara died two years ago, it was "standing room only" at the one-day wake at the James Romanelli-Stephen Funeral Home on Rockaway Boulevard in Ozone Park on March 2, 2012. Mrs. Amuso, 69, was laid to rest the following day at St. Charles Cemetery in Farmingdale.

Barbara Amuso, who was a vocal supporter of her husband at trial, and who got into a shouting match with prosecutor Charles Rose outside the courtroom after her husband was sentenced to life for ordering nine mob murders and numerous other crimes, died on February 29, 2012 — six days after Gang Land's faux pas that her husband had stepped down.

"Amuso sent out word that he wanted everyone to show up, and the place was packed," said LEO#2. "The Lucheses showed up en masse," added LEO#3, who noted that a "sprinkling" of Gambinos from the Howard Beach, Queens area, where both Gotti and Amuso lived, also paid their respects.

Sources say that like virtually the entire crime family, Crea, the Bronx-based former boxer who owned construction companies and made millions of dollars though bid-rigging, price-fixing and kickback schemes involving construction industry union officials, and Madonna, attended the wake.

All of that jibes with what one underworld source (call him UW#1) told us: "Vic is still in the chair, still running the show," he said. "They (Luchese mobsters) don't like the fact that he's still calling the shots, but he's not giving it up. He's the boss," said the mob associate, a longtime cohort of the Luchese and Bonanno crime families.

It all makes sense to former FBI supervisor George Gabriel, who spearheaded the investigation that ended with John Gotti being sentenced to life in prison.

Gabriel, who was on the FBI team that scooped up turncoat acting Luchese boss Alfonso (Little Al) D'Arco two months after Amuso was arrested, told Gang Land he is not surprised that Amuso is holding on to his official title. D'Arco later was the key witness against his old mob boss at trial.

"Amuso and John Gotti are both cut from the same cloth, or similar cloth," said Gabriel.

"They both have the kind of ego that wouldn't let them walk away from being the boss of the family even though the rules of Cosa Nostra dictate that they should step down when they get life incarceration, or even a very long sentence – for the good of the crime family," said Gabriel.

"And Vic knows, like John knew, that if you give it up, not only are you out of sight, you're out of mind," said Gabriel. "The only way to insure that their own family is taken care of is to hold onto the reins of the crime family, and maintain the access to the crime family's money."

Amuso went on the lam in May of 1990 when he learned he was about to be hit with racketeering charges. The plan was for him and his number two, Anthony (Gaspipe) Casso to lay low long enough so that they could learn from the trials of those they left behind the kind of evidence the feds had against them.

But that plan went awry at 11 AM on Sunday, July 28, 1991 when agents Byrne and Peil showed up at the Viewmont Mall just off of Interstate 81 in Dickson City, PA. Sources say the agents went there after the FBI received an anonymous letter pinpointing a specific pay phone where "a fugitive New York organized crime boss" would be receiving a phone call.

Like a kidnap ransom note, the missive consisted of letters cut from newspapers and magazines. It arrived at the Queens-based squad on the previous Friday. Considered a likely wild goose chase, rookie agents Byrne and Peil were selected to handle the Sunday morning assignment. The thinking was there was "little chance of success," recalled a former member of the Luchese family squad (dub him LEO#4).

In addition to looking at photos of Amuso, Byrne and Peil listened as one agent played them a tape recording of Amuso's voice that had been picked up on a wiretap. The older agent offered a comparison: Amuso, he said, "sounds just like the guy with the high-pitched voice on the Bowery Boys," referring to one of the characters in the slapstick movies about kids from the lower East Side, said LEO#4.

Matthew MadonnaAt the mall, the agents weren't sure they had their man. Amuso showed up wearing a cap, Aviator sun glasses, shorts, and a T shirt. He could have been any suburban dad stopping off at the mall on a family errand. Then they sidled up to him. As they drew near, they heard the same "high pitched voice" they had heard two days earlier. Bingo.

Amuso was placed under arrest. The boss clammed up right away. He didn't say a word to the agents, or anyone else for the next 24 hours, said LEO#4. It wasn't until Scranton Federal Judge William Nealon told him he would have to wait four days in a local jail for "an identity hearing," that he finally piped up. "I'm Vic Amuso," he said in his squeaky voice.

"All I remember about the arrest is that they did an excellent job," said John Kapp, a former supervisor of the FBI's Luchese family squad. "They gave up a weekend, they moved on a tip that the FBI had received, and they arrested the boss of the Luchese crime family."

Make that the still reigning boss of the Luchese crime family.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888141
07/20/16 02:25 AM
07/20/16 02:25 AM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss
The difference is the Colombos have been run by Persico's family and close friends. Amuso has nobody on the outside. All his Brooklyn guys still on the streets are shelved or demoted. Why would a boss allow that? So he gets a nice envelope to keep him from talking to the feds.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mulberry] #888175
07/20/16 12:10 PM
07/20/16 12:10 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
you dont know if they have "all" been shelved your just assuming they have there is no nothing to support that. You think they kick up to him to stop him from flipping? You actually think amuso would ever flip?

Crea was kicking up to amuso in the late 90s aswell why would that change now? I dont think Amuso and Crea ever had beef with each other only time we know of Crea being angry with Amuso is from an alleged meeting with Al D`arco years ago. For all you know Crea kicks upto Amuso because he respects him he was taking orders from him in the 90s why would he suddenly change his mind?

We dont know if they have all been demoted because we dont know who has loyalty to Amuso and who the capos on the street are. Amuso was the boss why cannot he not have people who are loyal and still willing to kick up? If my memory is correct it was cassos guys who tried to kill Crea why would Amuso guys be getting shelved?

If he was simply a guy who got an envelope to stay quiet why is the entire luchese family and members of the gambino family turning up to his wifes funeral i mean for him to command these guys to turn up including Crea that is a show of power right?

Crea and the bronx faction are the guys running the family on the street which means they are the guys with the most power and wealth and they are probably making most of the day to day decisions but to say Vic amuso has no power or is simply a figure head there is no evidence to back that up apart from the fact that Crea is a bronx guy. Maybe you are right all of this will come out eventually but at the moment we dont know enough what you are saying is a guess nothing more.

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888176
07/20/16 12:14 PM
07/20/16 12:14 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Andy russo steped up as acting boss after the boston guy deleo got pinched. Russo was waiting till he got off parole and only last like a year or less cause the feds had that capo pauly guns wearing a wire to all there meeting plus others. I would guess if hes off parole hes acting boss again. He said on tape hes in it for life and is a persico.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888177
07/20/16 12:15 PM
07/20/16 12:15 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Russo was locked up from like 98 2008

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: IvyLeague] #888198
07/20/16 02:33 PM
07/20/16 02:33 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Remember this Gang Land article? Several law enforcement and mob sources all said that Amuso remains the official boss. The idea that he's not come largely from conjecture and guessing by some posters on the forums.

Next Monday marks the 23d anniversary of the day when two young FBI agents standing at a shopping mall outside of Scranton, Pennsylvania made one of the great collars in mob history. The target was Vittorio (Vic) Amuso, the fugitive boss of the Luchese crime family who had been on the lam for more than a year. All agents Stephen Byrne and Cindy Peil had to go on were some old photos. But they also had listened to a recording of Amuso talking on a wiretap. So as soon as they heard the distinctive high-pitched voice of the man wearing shades and a baseball cap speaking on a mall payphone they knew they had their man.

The 79-year-old wiseguy has been behind bars ever since. But while the feds can take a gang land chief out of circulation, they can't take his Mafia crown away from him. And from that day forward, even though he's been in federal custody for nearly a quarter century, Vic Amuso has remained the undisputed boss of his crime family.

That's right, uninterrupted. Despite what you may have read earlier — right here in Gang Land — Amuso's reign has been continuous since he took over in 1986 after his predecessor, Antonio (Tony Ducks) Corallo, was convicted in the historic Commission case, sentenced to 100 years, and ceded his lofty post to Amuso. Despite pressure from some underlings, and the difficulty of running a crime family from cells in the multiple prisons where he's been confined since his 1992 conviction, Amuso has retained his spot atop the battered borghata.

In other words, scratch that erroneous report that appeared here back in February, 2012 that Amuso had been replaced by longtime acting boss Steven (Stevie Wonder) Crea. Wrong. Maybe it was wishful thinking on the part of some otherwise usually reliable sources, but it turns out the rumors of Little Vic's alleged demise as Luchese boss were greatly exaggerated.

Don't get the wrong idea: Gang Land did not receive an official communique on the subject from Amuso, who is serving his life sentence these days at a medium security prison in Maryland. And neither Crea, 66, nor Matthew Madonna, 78, who sources say is Stevie Wonder's right-hand-man and serves as Amuso's "street boss," have contacted us either. Law enforcement authorities also offered no official comment on the matter.

But enough sources have since come forward to dispute the earlier claim about Amuso stepping down, that we now set the record straight: Vic Amuso remains the official boss of the Luchese crime family.

The closest thing to an official confirmation about Amuso's status came in April from the testimony by FBI agent Kenneth Terracciano at the racketeering trial of Luchese mobster Nicodemo Scarfo Jr. in Camden Federal Court. Terracciano, a Newark-based G-man, offered a simple declarative sentence on the matter: Amuso, he said, "is the boss of the Luchese family."

That claim has since been bolstered by several well-placed law enforcement and underworld sources, all of whom agree that Vic is still on top.

Not only is he still running the show, Amuso has no intention of giving up his post until he leaves the custody of the federal Bureau of Prisons, "one way or the other," said one law enforcement official. Sources say Amuso's mindset is the same as two contemporary mob bosses who died in prison, John Gotti and Vincent (Chin) Gigante, as well as Colombo boss Carmine (Junior) Persico, who's been incarcerated since 1984.

"By now," added the official, whom we'll identify as LEO#1 (Law Enforcement Official #1), "Vic knows he's not walking out; he's getting out in a body bag."

"There is no doubt, Vic is the man, end of story," agreed a second longtime mob buster who's been making cases against New York wiseguys for more than 20 years. "Vic has always been the (Luchese) boss," said LEO#2.

The longtime mob buster, as well as a third official, LEO#3, noted that when Amuso's wife Barbara died two years ago, it was "standing room only" at the one-day wake at the James Romanelli-Stephen Funeral Home on Rockaway Boulevard in Ozone Park on March 2, 2012. Mrs. Amuso, 69, was laid to rest the following day at St. Charles Cemetery in Farmingdale.

Barbara Amuso, who was a vocal supporter of her husband at trial, and who got into a shouting match with prosecutor Charles Rose outside the courtroom after her husband was sentenced to life for ordering nine mob murders and numerous other crimes, died on February 29, 2012 — six days after Gang Land's faux pas that her husband had stepped down.

"Amuso sent out word that he wanted everyone to show up, and the place was packed," said LEO#2. "The Lucheses showed up en masse," added LEO#3, who noted that a "sprinkling" of Gambinos from the Howard Beach, Queens area, where both Gotti and Amuso lived, also paid their respects.

Sources say that like virtually the entire crime family, Crea, the Bronx-based former boxer who owned construction companies and made millions of dollars though bid-rigging, price-fixing and kickback schemes involving construction industry union officials, and Madonna, attended the wake.

All of that jibes with what one underworld source (call him UW#1) told us: "Vic is still in the chair, still running the show," he said. "They (Luchese mobsters) don't like the fact that he's still calling the shots, but he's not giving it up. He's the boss," said the mob associate, a longtime cohort of the Luchese and Bonanno crime families.

It all makes sense to former FBI supervisor George Gabriel, who spearheaded the investigation that ended with John Gotti being sentenced to life in prison.

Gabriel, who was on the FBI team that scooped up turncoat acting Luchese boss Alfonso (Little Al) D'Arco two months after Amuso was arrested, told Gang Land he is not surprised that Amuso is holding on to his official title. D'Arco later was the key witness against his old mob boss at trial.

"Amuso and John Gotti are both cut from the same cloth, or similar cloth," said Gabriel.

"They both have the kind of ego that wouldn't let them walk away from being the boss of the family even though the rules of Cosa Nostra dictate that they should step down when they get life incarceration, or even a very long sentence – for the good of the crime family," said Gabriel.

"And Vic knows, like John knew, that if you give it up, not only are you out of sight, you're out of mind," said Gabriel. "The only way to insure that their own family is taken care of is to hold onto the reins of the crime family, and maintain the access to the crime family's money."

Amuso went on the lam in May of 1990 when he learned he was about to be hit with racketeering charges. The plan was for him and his number two, Anthony (Gaspipe) Casso to lay low long enough so that they could learn from the trials of those they left behind the kind of evidence the feds had against them.

But that plan went awry at 11 AM on Sunday, July 28, 1991 when agents Byrne and Peil showed up at the Viewmont Mall just off of Interstate 81 in Dickson City, PA. Sources say the agents went there after the FBI received an anonymous letter pinpointing a specific pay phone where "a fugitive New York organized crime boss" would be receiving a phone call.

Like a kidnap ransom note, the missive consisted of letters cut from newspapers and magazines. It arrived at the Queens-based squad on the previous Friday. Considered a likely wild goose chase, rookie agents Byrne and Peil were selected to handle the Sunday morning assignment. The thinking was there was "little chance of success," recalled a former member of the Luchese family squad (dub him LEO#4).

In addition to looking at photos of Amuso, Byrne and Peil listened as one agent played them a tape recording of Amuso's voice that had been picked up on a wiretap. The older agent offered a comparison: Amuso, he said, "sounds just like the guy with the high-pitched voice on the Bowery Boys," referring to one of the characters in the slapstick movies about kids from the lower East Side, said LEO#4.

Matthew MadonnaAt the mall, the agents weren't sure they had their man. Amuso showed up wearing a cap, Aviator sun glasses, shorts, and a T shirt. He could have been any suburban dad stopping off at the mall on a family errand. Then they sidled up to him. As they drew near, they heard the same "high pitched voice" they had heard two days earlier. Bingo.

Amuso was placed under arrest. The boss clammed up right away. He didn't say a word to the agents, or anyone else for the next 24 hours, said LEO#4. It wasn't until Scranton Federal Judge William Nealon told him he would have to wait four days in a local jail for "an identity hearing," that he finally piped up. "I'm Vic Amuso," he said in his squeaky voice.

"All I remember about the arrest is that they did an excellent job," said John Kapp, a former supervisor of the FBI's Luchese family squad. "They gave up a weekend, they moved on a tip that the FBI had received, and they arrested the boss of the Luchese crime family."

See Ivy my friend I have no issue admitting I was wrong..I dont recall that Gangland article bc I dont have a subscription but you produced the evidence and I stand corrected..I appreciate you taking the time buddy...

So with that in mind, let me ask you and anyone else this...Who of the current capos / admin do you think are the ones still fiercely loyal to Amuso, insuring he gets a taste, relaying his messages like commanding everyone show up to his wifes wake? He doesnt have anymore relatives that are involved or made correct? Any insight?

Also, since Im conceding Vic is still the boss, does that mean he has the final say on who gets made and when or do u think day to day thats Crea/Madonna?

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888211
07/20/16 03:08 PM
07/20/16 03:08 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211

See Ivy my friend I have no issue admitting I was wrong..I dont recall that Gangland article bc I dont have a subscription but you produced the evidence and I stand corrected..I appreciate you taking the time buddy...

So with that in mind, let me ask you and anyone else this...Who of the current capos / admin do you think are the ones still fiercely loyal to Amuso, insuring he gets a taste, relaying his messages like commanding everyone show up to his wifes wake? He doesnt have anymore relatives that are involved or made correct? Any insight?

Also, since Im conceding Vic is still the boss, does that mean he has the final say on who gets made and when or do u think day to day thats Crea/Madonna?

I have no idea which captains could be considered "Amuso loyalists" or anything about his relatives. But that's a key difference between me and some others in this debate. I don't think any of us are in a position to make assumptions on that while sitting at our computers. Others think they can but, in my opinion, they are going beyond what they're really in a position to know. I'm content to believe Capeci and his sources. In fact, that Capeci was willing to reverse himself on the issue tells me he seems pretty convinced himself.

Now, all that said, it's important to touch on what we do know about Amuso. Years after he got life, he still had the clout to call then acting boss Joe Defede on the carpet for tribute payments owed to him. In the article I posted above, it seems he can also send word from prison and people listen. However, Capeci also reported a while back that some in the family suggested to Amuso that he step down. We didn't see anyone suggesting that to Chin (though they likely assumed he'd survive his sentence) or Persico. It was suggested to Gotti that he step down at one point. That leads me to believe Amuso doesn't have iron clad, absolute power but he's not a powerless figurehead like some assume. He is the official boss and still holds a considerable amount of influence but it's somewhat muted simply because he is doing life.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 07/20/16 03:10 PM.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: IvyLeague] #888217
07/20/16 03:17 PM
07/20/16 03:17 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211

I have no idea which captains could be considered "Amuso loyalists" or anything about his relatives. But that's a key difference between me and some others in this debate. I don't think any of us are in a position to make assumptions on that while sitting at our computers. Others think they can but, in my opinion, they are going beyond what they're really in a position to know. I'm content to believe Capeci and his sources. In fact, that Capeci was willing to reverse himself on the issue tells me he seems pretty convinced himself.

Now, all that said, it's important to touch on what we do know about Amuso. Years after he got life, he still had the clout to call then acting boss Joe Defede on the carpet for tribute payments owed to him. In the article I posted above, it seems he can also send word from prison and people listen. However, Capeci also reported a while back that some in the family suggested to Amuso that he step down. We didn't see anyone suggesting that to Chin (though they likely assumed he'd survive his sentence) or Persico. It was suggested to Gotti that he step down at one point. That leads me to believe Amuso doesn't have iron clad, absolute power but he's not a powerless figurehead like some assume. He is the official boss and still holds a considerable amount of influence but it's somewhat muted simply because he is doing life.

Gotya Ivy thanks again...so you wouldnt care to speculate who could possibly even be an Amuso loyalist still allowing him to remain as official boss? Just for arguments sake?.....I'd guess guys like Bowat Barratta, Joey Giampa, Truscello, or maybe Cutaia? Just becase they all have allegedly been capos dating back to the time he was boss? Maybe Frank Lastorino? although I dont know if hes locked up or not.....Again just for strictly shits and giggles I respect that you dont like to speculate and deal with what is known factually thats why you're a great researcher but im just curious as to your opinion if you're willing to share...

What about my question regarding who and when to make guys, u think thats Vics call from the can or not? im curious as to how hes even getting messages outta his cell in MD? Gotta think its an attorney or some relative we dont know about right? Bc any made guys not related to him cant and wont go see him in jail

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888230
07/20/16 05:28 PM
07/20/16 05:28 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Guess amuso daughters husband is a made guy and basically a conduit for all things. Scarfo jr would go see him. Was seen by the fbi in queens meeting.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888251
07/21/16 12:00 AM
07/21/16 12:00 AM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
Thanks for posting that article Ivy. I was leaning towards Amuso just being a figurehead but that convinced me otherwise.

Interesting that he's in a medium security prison. I know he's an old man who's been locked up for a long time, but he was still convicted of being behind 9 murders!

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888252
07/21/16 12:29 AM
07/21/16 12:29 AM
U.S.A
T
Terence Offline
Made Member
Terence  Offline
T
Made Member
U.S.A
@IvyLeague

- Absolutely agree. Some men become so entrenched in the life that by the time they reach the top they know it's nearly a guaranteed prison sentence and would rather be immortalized in prison (and in death) than save their own skin and turn rat or just fade away without the title. Reminds me of Ralph in the Sopranos quoting gladiator, "What we do in life echoes in eternity". In order to create that echo your presence must have a great impact, those men fully held true to that mindset whether or not it was noble or a pipe-dream in their own comprehension of it.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888281
07/21/16 03:57 PM
07/21/16 03:57 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I would appreciate it if somebody posted a clip of the character in The Bowery Boys whose squeaky voice Vic's is similar to.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: pmac] #888292
07/21/16 08:13 PM
07/21/16 08:13 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Originally Posted By: pmac
Guess amuso daughters husband is a made guy and basically a conduit for all things. Scarfo jr would go see him. Was seen by the fbi in queens meeting.

Does anyone know the name of this guy Amusos son in law whos made w the the Lucchese's??

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888404
07/23/16 03:10 AM
07/23/16 03:10 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
Both these guys, Casso and Amuso, How they took over the family, I've always felt there should be more to the story there....

I've ALWAYS heard that the power in the Luchesse family was based in the Bronx, and it was, going back to Riena, so I could never understand how it was that they took over. Like with the exception of maybe Tieri, ( and he was till a front) the power in the genovese was Manhattan and will always be Manhattan, whether it was Harlem or Grenwich Village, or whatnot.
Now I remember in a thread asking Pizzaboy, " Was there a rift In the Bronx faction?" He said no way, and I had no reason to doubt him.

But the thing is I think historically these guys were presented as upstarts, that came outta no where and had little support and killed all opposition, but this always seemed so off to me. Santoro, the underboss was the leader of the Bronx faction right? But his choice was ultimately rejected In favor of Christy Ticks choice. Why? Why did this occur exactly? This is why I asked if there was a rift there. I ask because I think it goes a long way to explaining WHY these guys were so powerful at this time.
A lot of us make the assumption that they had a BROOKLYN faction, but these guys seemed to have been WIDELY RESPECTED across the families.
Awhile back, someone posted an old report on OC in Jersey from the Feds. In it, they have Chris Furnari as the heir apparent, OVER the Bronx guys back in like 83. Why was this? Why was he so powerful, and widely respected? And I know someone will dispute this, but HIS protégées DID take over, over the more established crew leaders from the Bronx, so to me this is a clear indication of his influence. Very similar to how Gotti " Inherited" a lot of Dellacroces power, these guys benefited from an association with Christy Tick.
Amuso was from the Gallo crew right? Well all the top guys from that crew were HEAVY HITTERS in Costa Nostra right? And that crew, through Carlo, Chin Gigante, were close to the strongest families right? He was also a prolific narcotics trafficker as well, I will come back to that....So his influence, and connections might be more extensive then realized, maybe.
As far as Gaspipe, I'm reminded of something in Sammy the Bulls book, where he names all the crews that got the most respect in the family, they were all the " work" crews. Well Gaspipe seems to have been on good terms with ALL THE TOP KILLERS OF HIS TIME. Demeo, Scarpa, Persico, Gravano, Chin. Basically he was cool with all the guys that make Cosa Nostra , Cosa Nostra.
On the drug thing, simple as it is, if you can manage a successful narcotics operation, it basically means you have a pretty good skill set to be a good mafia leader. And that's what both these guys were, major dealers, Gas was an importer, Vic a distributor? I think Gas supplied a lot of heavy hitters, just a suspicion... Also, drug guys are usually heavy guys, at this point in time I think they were the most feared guys in the family, so In spite of wealth or prestige or whatever, I think they WERE the power. Case in point when Gotti sought out the Luchesse leadership through back doors channels, I don't think he approached the Bronx guys, cause in his view they WERE NOT THE POWER, and he was pretty savvy about these things.....
Basically I try to actually trace the thread through the fabric of power. Who does it go through? Where did it come from, who is it connected to now?

I did a similar thing with Mancuso from the Bonnanos. Like he clearly has the title, but it appears he DOES NOT HAVE A MAJORITY OF THE CAPOS on his side. A key question then is HOW DID HE BECOME BOSS? To me he HAS TO HAVE SUPPORT FROM THE OTHER FAMILIES, otherwise, how did he get there, from jail? Explaining how he became boss goes along way to understanding how powerful he actually is. I've heard how he killed his wife, and he supposedly had a crew of shooters, I think he's might just be SCARIERthan the Bonano guys on the streets and that's a big part of it as well..

That's my thinking on Casso and especially Amuso, the question of HOW he became boss, is still kinda like, hmmmmm, like exactly WHO WAS SUPPORTING THEM, not just in their family, but the others as well. And why were they accepted over these Bronx guys.

Ok that's my two cents, good topic Mikey, hope we can get some good discussions on here.... Any thoughts?

Last edited by CabriniGreen; 07/23/16 03:12 AM.
Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888405
07/23/16 03:19 AM
07/23/16 03:19 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
A follow up example of what I mean, You know how it's been said that the Bronx Luchesses and west side operate as one? It seems like Casso ( from Brooklyn, or based there at least) was closer to the west side than a lot of those Bronx guys, I could be wrong.
And we know Amuso came from a crew where two of the soldiers basically became like Genovese co -capos right?

I'm trying to give illustration to what Ivey is saying in that we don't KNOW WHO THESE GUYS LOYALIST ACTUALLY ARE, maybe it's never been real clear...

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: mikeyballs211] #888407
07/23/16 04:13 AM
07/23/16 04:13 AM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
I think it just comes down to the Christy Tick, Casso and Amuso crew being big money makers and proven killers. Around the mid 80s they had the bypass gang, painting, serious amounts of drugs, the gasoline tax scam plus the remnants of the Demeo crew. And that's just what we know of.

Gaspipe had a good, or at least a working relationship with DeCicco, Gravano, Gotti and the Persicos. He was considered such a force that DeCicco sought his "approval" when they were making the move on Castellano.

So even though he wasn't part of the Bronx faction, I'm sure Gaspipe seems like a legit choice of successor in Tony Ducks mind around 1986. He probably couldn't have predicted how nuts Casso was/became.

Re: top 3-5 Longest Running Bosse from 2000 + [Re: MightyDR] #888414
07/23/16 08:19 AM
07/23/16 08:19 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MightyDR
I think it just comes down to the Christy Tick, Casso and Amuso crew being big money makers and proven killers. Around the mid 80s they had the bypass gang, painting, serious amounts of drugs, the gasoline tax scam plus the remnants of the Demeo crew. And that's just what we know of.

Gaspipe had a good, or at least a working relationship with DeCicco, Gravano, Gotti and the Persicos. He was considered such a force that DeCicco sought his "approval" when they were making the move on Castellano.

So even though he wasn't part of the Bronx faction, I'm sure Gaspipe seems like a legit choice of successor in Tony Ducks mind around 1986. He probably couldn't have predicted how nuts Casso was/became.

Gaspipe's paintings were beautiful. I heard Heidi Klum & Seal bought one.

Don't forget the Windows scam. They made a killing on that one too.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull