GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (joepuzzles234), 91 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,094
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,352
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,485
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,213
Posts1,056,147
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joey Cantalupo #887826
07/14/16 10:47 AM
07/14/16 10:47 AM
BillyBrizzi Offline OP
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline OP
Underboss
Does anybody know if this guy is still alive??

There's nothing recent to be found about him on Google, just old articles from the 80's and of course video clips of him on Crime Inc., which I found incredibly amusing. His anecdotes were the best part of the documentary for me..

Here's a very good article btw from Capeci about Cantalupo, taken from New York Magazine, 21 January 1980:
https://books.google.nl/books?id=t-UCAAA...upo&f=false

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887832
07/14/16 01:32 PM
07/14/16 01:32 PM
CA
joeydoves Offline
Wiseguy
joeydoves  Offline
Wiseguy
CA
I think he is, he knew alot of colombo buisness like joe colombos, father fuckin a wiseguys wife or gf they stuck his prick in his mouth wowww i have the 2 disc set of crime inc. The best doc on oc in my books

Get da fuck outta hearr
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: joeydoves] #887835
07/14/16 02:55 PM
07/14/16 02:55 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline OP
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted By: joeydoves
I think he is, he knew alot of colombo buisness like joe colombos, father fuckin a wiseguys wife or gf they stuck his prick in his mouth wowww i have the 2 disc set of crime inc. The best doc on oc in my books

Agreed, Crime inc. is definitely the best doc series on the mob ever.

I recently also bought the book that's based on the series: The Rise of the Mafia by Martin Short, who's also the maker of the documentary.
I enjoyed it very much, it was only 4 and a half euro as e-book.
A lot of content is familiar but it goes a little more in depth compared to the series..

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887836
07/14/16 03:04 PM
07/14/16 03:04 PM
CA
joeydoves Offline
Wiseguy
joeydoves  Offline
Wiseguy
CA
I gotta get that book

Get da fuck outta hearr
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887840
07/14/16 05:45 PM
07/14/16 05:45 PM
Great Britain
British Offline
Underboss
British  Offline
Underboss
Great Britain
Asked the same question a while back, not much seems to be known about him.

Same with that Gerry Denono who was also in crime inc and the Jewish fella Herbie something?

British is best....
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887847
07/14/16 08:00 PM
07/14/16 08:00 PM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
https://www.amazon.com/Body-Mike-Unspari...words=body+mike
That's a link to his book but I haven't read it yet. Reviews say its good though.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9501E5D81339E432A25755C1A9679D94619FD6CF
That's an article about when Cantalupo testified at Funzi Tieri's trial. He said that Funzi threatened his uncle into not selling pizzas in a particular spot, sent someone after him to make sure he paid a $10,000 loan from Funzi and that his apartment was used as a meeting spot for Joe Colombo, Funzi Tieri and Carlo Gambino. Cantalupo testified he had worked with the Colombo family for 14 years, committing robberies and loan sharking.

And thanks for mentioning that book BillyBrizzi. Crime Inc is my favourite series on the mob by far.

Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: British] #887851
07/14/16 08:17 PM
07/14/16 08:17 PM
The patch
Richards_bar Offline
Button
Richards_bar  Offline
Button
The patch
I believe gerry denona died within the last few years

Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: MightyDR] #887853
07/14/16 08:40 PM
07/14/16 08:40 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Originally Posted By: MightyDR
That's a link to his book but I haven't read it yet. Reviews say its good though.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9501E5D81339E432A25755C1A9679D94619FD6CF
That's an article about when Cantalupo testified at Funzi Tieri's trial. He said that Funzi threatened his uncle into not selling pizzas in a particular spot, sent someone after him to make sure he paid a $10,000 loan from Funzi and that his apartment was used as a meeting spot for Joe Colombo, Funzi Tieri and Carlo Gambino. Cantalupo testified he had worked with the Colombo family for 14 years, committing robberies and loan sharking.

And thanks for mentioning that book BillyBrizzi. Crime Inc is my favourite series on the mob by far.

mighty can you copy and paste that NYT article in the thread? The link sends u to the archives but you have to pay for a subscription to read it...be interesting to check out if u dont mind pal

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887854
07/14/16 08:44 PM
07/14/16 08:44 PM
T
tiger84 Offline
Capo
tiger84  Offline
T
Capo
yeah that was the best doc Ive seen by far on oc it was so gritty and non glamorizing .Its funny that a British doc did a better job than an American doc on the subject.

Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887856
07/14/16 09:06 PM
07/14/16 09:06 PM
CA
joeydoves Offline
Wiseguy
joeydoves  Offline
Wiseguy
CA
Yes sir

Get da fuck outta hearr
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887857
07/14/16 09:23 PM
07/14/16 09:23 PM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline
Underboss
North Jersey
I would think that Cantalupo HAS to be living under an alias....He went on those documentaries, spilling the beans about everyone.
He looked to be about 40-45 years old in the Crime Inc. So he would be 75-80 today.

He should come out of the shadows and write a book.....I always said that these well connected gangsters should ALWAYS leave their memoirs after they die. That way, their immediate family can always cash in on a book deal...Plus, it would show that the gangsters aren't selfish and want their fans (lol) to hear the true story, straight from the horse's mouth....Not point in dying with juicy details.

Hoping Big Joey writes his memoirs but I seriously doubt it.

Last edited by ItalianIrishMix; 07/14/16 09:24 PM.
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887858
07/14/16 09:36 PM
07/14/16 09:36 PM
In a wide open city
Tony_Pro Offline
Capo
Tony_Pro  Offline
Capo
In a wide open city
Herbie's name was Herbie Gross, I remember a couple of years ago I came across a story about him on a religious website/blog written by a neighbor who had befriended him and recounted his story about being an informant and his years as an associate, he was reportedly in his 90s at the time and living in poverty. He must be dead by now.

Last edited by Tony_Pro; 07/14/16 09:37 PM.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887871
07/15/16 04:08 AM
07/15/16 04:08 AM
Great Britain
British Offline
Underboss
British  Offline
Underboss
Great Britain
Cheers Tony Pro

He looked quite old in crime inc, amazing how many of these guy end up with nothing!

British is best....
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: ItalianIrishMix] #887938
07/16/16 05:14 AM
07/16/16 05:14 AM
Buffalo,New York
frankg2469 Offline
A.K.A. Benny Squint
frankg2469  Offline
A.K.A. Benny Squint
Button
Buffalo,New York
Originally Posted By: ItalianIrishMix
I would think that Cantalupo HAS to be living under an alias....He went on those documentaries, spilling the beans about everyone.
He looked to be about 40-45 years old in the Crime Inc. So he would be 75-80 today.

He should come out of the shadows and write a book.....I always said that these well connected gangsters should ALWAYS leave their memoirs after they die. That way, their immediate family can always cash in on a book deal...Plus, it would show that the gangsters aren't selfish and want their fans (lol) to hear the true story, straight from the horse's mouth....Not point in dying with juicy details.

Hoping Big Joey writes his memoirs but I seriously doubt it.

Cantalupo wrote a book in '89/'90 titled "Body Mike". His co-author was Thomas Renner. It's not a bad book.

"A mook---what's a mook ?" Johnny Boy Civello
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: tiger84] #887949
07/16/16 11:59 AM
07/16/16 11:59 AM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Originally Posted By: tiger84
yeah that was the best doc Ive seen by far on oc it was so gritty and non glamorizing .Its funny that a British doc did a better job than an American doc on the subject.

Not really surprising, considering it was made by the BBC, they might be horrible, peadophile harbouring scumbags but they've made some brilliant documentaries. lol

Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: TommyGambino] #887959
07/16/16 02:43 PM
07/16/16 02:43 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline OP
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted By: TommyGambino

Not really surprising, considering it was made by the BBC, they might be horrible, peadophile harbouring scumbags but they've made some brilliant documentaries. lol

Whattaya mean ol' buddy, ol' pal?? wink

EDIT: Unbelievable that this guy could get away with that crap all his life. Just by looking at this creep I would never let him near children..

Last edited by BillyBrizzi; 07/16/16 02:46 PM.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: BillyBrizzi] #887964
07/16/16 05:11 PM
07/16/16 05:11 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Im surprised he or his family didnt get whacked for the funzi trial but at the same time funzi died before he was sentenced and never did time. He died well the judge was looking at some appellate shit. But after funzi set that whole philly war maybe no one avenged him.

Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: mikeyballs211] #887977
07/17/16 02:06 AM
07/17/16 02:06 AM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211

mighty can you copy and paste that NYT article in the thread? The link sends u to the archives but you have to pay for a subscription to read it...be interesting to check out if u dont mind pal

Here ya go:
Joseph Cantalupo, a former loan shark in organized crime, has testified that Frank (Funzi) Tieri used deadly threat to prevent a Brooklyn restaurant from selling pizzas.
Mr. Cantalupo, testifying at the Tieri racketeering trial in Manhattan last week, said the incident occurred in 1974. He said his uncle had wanted to sell pizzas in Eddie Arcaro’s Restaurant at the Kings Plaza shopping mall, but Mr. Tieri had favored a rival restaurant called Sbarro’s.
The witness quoted Mr. Tieri as having said: “If your uncle thinks he’s going to put pizza in Eddie Arcaro’s, he’s better off putting pizza in Scarpaci’s.” He said Mr. Tieri had pointed to Scarpaci’s, which was “the funeral parlor across the street.”
Mr. Cantalupo said he then conveyed the message to his uncle, Sevarino Palotta, who became “so upset” that he sold his share of the restaurant.

The alleged threat is part of the main charge in the case, which accuses Mr. Tieri of operating a “crime family” in a pattern of racketeering. The trial is scheduled to end this week in Federal District court.
Mr. Cantalupo also testified that an associate, Johnny Russo, had threatened him for failing to repay a $10,000 loan from Mr. Tieri, who was called “the Old Man.” The jury heard a secretly recored 1977 conversation in which Mr. Russo told him: “Pay the Old Man – forget about everybody else.”
Answering questions by Barbara S. Jones, a prosecutor, Mr. Cantalupo said he had conducted loan-sharking activitires for Joseph Colombo’s “organized crime family” in Brooklyn and knew how delinquent debtors were treated.
“Were you ever present,” Miss Jones asked, “when certain debtors were beaten?”
“Yes,” he replied firmly, adding that many debtors had made payments or offered excuses in person at his father’s realty company, where Mr. Colombo had conducted some of his activties.
“Mr. Colombo at times would get furious with them,” he continued, “and send them downstairs to the basement with members of the family, and they would get beat up.”
Miss Jones asked about a 1969 meeting allegedly attended by Mr. Tieri, Mr. Colombo and Carlo Gambino. Mr. Cantalupo said his Brooklyn apartment had been used for the meeting at the request of Mr. Colombo, who told him what to do.
“I had my wife make a large pot of black coffee, go out and buy two pounds of Italian cookies, set the table for six and stay out for a part of the evening,” Mr. Cantalupo said “I sat on the stoop and kept my eyes open.”
Mr. Colombo arrived by car, also Mr. Tieri and then Mr. Gambino with three others, the witness continued. He said they stayed in his apartment about two hours and then “left the same way they came.”

“Do you see Mr. Tieri in the courtroom today?” Miss Jones asked.
“Funzi is sitting right there in the beige jacket and brown tie,” Mr. Cantalupo said, using Mr. Tieri’s nickname and pointing at the 76-year-old defendant, who stared back at the witness.
Mr. Cantalupo, who is 37, testified that he became a “confidential informant” for the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the 1973 and provided information about organized crime to the FBI agent who gave him cash payment amounting to as much as $1500 a month.
He also made an agreement with Federal Prosecutors in 1977 to testify about organized crime in return for immunity from prosecution, he said, and entered the Government’s witness protection program in order to be relocated with a new identity.
Mr. Cantalupo admitted that he had participated in numerous crimes, including several robberies, in addition to loansharking. He said he had belonged to the “Colombo family” for 14 years and also participated in crimes with members of the “Genovese family” that Mr. Tieri allegedly heads.
The prosecution, led by Nathaniel H. Akerman, has presented a series of witnesses against Mr. Tieri. The defense lawyers, Jay Goldberg and Jeffrey C. Hoffman, content that the witness lied to obtain leniency. Judge Thomas P. Griesa is conducting the trial with a sequestered jury.

I got a subscription for a few months a while back. Definitely worth it for the old articles.

Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: MightyDR] #887979
07/17/16 03:48 AM
07/17/16 03:48 AM
Great Britain
British Offline
Underboss
British  Offline
Underboss
Great Britain

Here ya go:
Joseph Cantalupo, a former loan shark in organized crime, has testified that Frank (Funzi) Tieri used deadly threat to prevent a Brooklyn restaurant from selling pizzas.
Mr. Cantalupo, testifying at the Tieri racketeering trial in Manhattan last week, said the incident occurred in 1974. He said his uncle had wanted to sell pizzas in Eddie Arcaro’s Restaurant at the Kings Plaza shopping mall, but Mr. Tieri had favored a rival restaurant called Sbarro’s.
The witness quoted Mr. Tieri as having said: “If your uncle thinks he’s going to put pizza in Eddie Arcaro’s, he’s better off putting pizza in Scarpaci’s.” He said Mr. Tieri had pointed to Scarpaci’s, which was “the funeral parlor across the street.”
Mr. Cantalupo said he then conveyed the message to his uncle, Sevarino Palotta, who became “so upset” that he sold his share of the restaurant.

The alleged threat is part of the main charge in the case, which accuses Mr. Tieri of operating a “crime family” in a pattern of racketeering. The trial is scheduled to end this week in Federal District court.
Mr. Cantalupo also testified that an associate, Johnny Russo, had threatened him for failing to repay a $10,000 loan from Mr. Tieri, who was called “the Old Man.” The jury heard a secretly recored 1977 conversation in which Mr. Russo told him: “Pay the Old Man – forget about everybody else.”
Answering questions by Barbara S. Jones, a prosecutor, Mr. Cantalupo said he had conducted loan-sharking activitires for Joseph Colombo’s “organized crime family” in Brooklyn and knew how delinquent debtors were treated.
“Yes,” he replied firmly, adding that many debtors had made payments or offered excuses in person at his father’s realty company, where Mr. Colombo had conducted some of his activties.
“Mr. Colombo at times would get furious with them,” he continued, “and send them downstairs to the basement with members of the family, and they would get beat up.”
Miss Jones asked about a 1969 meeting allegedly attended by Mr. Tieri, Mr. Colombo and Carlo Gambino. Mr. Cantalupo said his Brooklyn apartment had been used for the meeting at the request of Mr. Colombo, who told him what to do.
“I had my wife make a large pot of black coffee, go out and buy two pounds of Italian cookies, set the table for six and stay out for a part of the evening,” Mr. Cantalupo said “I sat on the stoop and kept my eyes open.”
Mr. Colombo arrived by car, also Mr. Tieri and then Mr. Gambino with three others, the witness continued. He said they stayed in his apartment about two hours and then “left the same way they came.”

“Funzi is sitting right there in the beige jacket and brown tie,” Mr. Cantalupo said, using Mr. Tieri’s nickname and pointing at the 76-year-old defendant, who stared back at the witness.
Mr. Cantalupo, who is 37, testified that he became a “confidential informant” for the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the 1973 and provided information about organized crime to the FBI agent who gave him cash payment amounting to as much as $1500 a month.
He also made an agreement with Federal Prosecutors in 1977 to testify about organized crime in return for immunity from prosecution, he said, and entered the Government’s witness protection program in order to be relocated with a new identity.
Mr. Cantalupo admitted that he had participated in numerous crimes, including several robberies, in addition to loansharking. He said he had belonged to the “Colombo family” for 14 years and also participated in crimes with members of the “Genovese family” that Mr. Tieri allegedly heads.
The prosecution, led by Nathaniel H. Akerman, has presented a series of witnesses against Mr. Tieri. The defense lawyers, Jay Goldberg and Jeffrey C. Hoffman, content that the witness lied to obtain leniency. Judge Thomas P. Griesa is conducting the trial with a sequestered jury.

I got a subscription for a few months a while back. Definitely worth it for the old articles.

Thanks for that it was an interesting read.

Never see much about Funzi..

British is best....
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: TommyGambino] #888155
07/20/16 08:36 AM
07/20/16 08:36 AM
UK
D
dsd Offline
Capo
dsd  Offline
D
Capo
UK
Originally Posted By: TommyGambino

Not BBC , The now defunct THAMES TV I'm sure made it

Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: MightyDR] #888203
07/20/16 02:52 PM
07/20/16 02:52 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs

Here ya go:

Mighty - Nice post my friend, thanks for taking the time to share that interesting read...As stated previously there really isnt much about Funzi Tieri...in regards to Tieri's mob history whos crew did he come up in and eventually take over? He was a Brooklyn genovese, so im guessing after he passed did Sally Dogs take over his crew?

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: Joey Cantalupo [Re: mikeyballs211] #888241
07/20/16 08:22 PM
07/20/16 08:22 PM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss

Here ya go:

Mighty - Nice post my friend, thanks for taking the time to share that interesting read...As stated previously there really isnt much about Funzi Tieri...in regards to Tieri's mob history whos crew did he come up in and eventually take over? He was a Brooklyn genovese, so im guessing after he passed did Sally Dogs take over his crew?

According to the Joe Valachi chart, Tieri was in Michele Miranda's regime in 1963. In Frank Palimeri's book, he says Funzi "stood on 64th Street and 20th Avenue at Tony's Cafe". NY Times says he had a conviction for robbery in 1922 and lived at 68 Bay 28th St in Bath Beach, Brooklyn.

There' some other old articles about him in the New York Times. Copy and paste isn't working with them so I'll summarize. He was arrested two times in about six months around 1973 for loan sharking, along with John Russo and Thomas Lombardi. It was over a $50,000 loan they made to two businessmen. It took a year's worth of investigation from the FBI. They were acquitted lol

His racketeering trial in 1980 was about proving he had authority and power as an organized crime boss. Evidence included the Cantalupo stuff mentioned earlier, Jimmy Fratianno being present when the Genovese hierarchy voted to have a guy killed and helping him get money out of the Westchester Premier theater, a labor scheme to defraud Korvettes Inc of $25,000 and presiding over a sitdown to resolve a loansharking dispute between two families.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull