GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 65 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,815
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,300
Posts1,058,173
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The most competent Bonanno boss #882405
04/29/16 05:48 PM
04/29/16 05:48 PM
ralphie_cifaretto Offline OP
Underboss
ralphie_cifaretto  Offline OP
Underboss
I've heard people say Joe Bonanno was the worst leader. Leaves me a little baffled. What do you guys say?

I put Spero in there because he was acting boss for a while and was a highly influential leader.

Who was the most competent Bonanno leader?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 04/29/16 05:47 PM
Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882406
04/29/16 05:58 PM
04/29/16 05:58 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Voted Massino, not counting him flipping. Probably not fair criteria but as boss, he was one of the best of the modern era.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882407
04/29/16 06:03 PM
04/29/16 06:03 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Bonnano.

Boss for close to 40years.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: mightyhealthy] #882408
04/29/16 06:06 PM
04/29/16 06:06 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Voted Massino, not counting him flipping. Probably not fair criteria but as boss, he was one of the best of the modern era.

I wasn't sure if I should've put Massino in there because he flipped, but yeah he was certainly a very good leader before that.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882410
04/29/16 07:06 PM
04/29/16 07:06 PM
CT
M
mightyhealthy Offline
Underboss
mightyhealthy  Offline
M
Underboss
CT
Yeah it's a tough call. He was probably the best boss from the 80s-2000s besides Chin.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882412
04/29/16 07:27 PM
04/29/16 07:27 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Massino flipping negates anything he previously did. In my opinion.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882413
04/29/16 07:29 PM
04/29/16 07:29 PM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
Massino all day long . If he hadn't have flipped would have gone down as one of the greatest bosses of all time

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882425
04/29/16 10:28 PM
04/29/16 10:28 PM
In a wide open city
Tony_Pro Offline
Capo
Tony_Pro  Offline
Capo
In a wide open city
The fact that I can enter a google search or open a book and know all of that's borgata's history is a reason enough to know that they are all failures.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi
Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: Tony_Pro] #882429
04/29/16 11:09 PM
04/29/16 11:09 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Tony_Pro
The fact that I can enter a google search or open a book and know all of that's borgata's history is a reason enough to know that they are all failures.

Ahhh..A Genovese fan boy from hell. DIE!

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: domwoods74] #882430
04/30/16 01:35 AM
04/30/16 01:35 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: domwoods74
Massino all day long . If he hadn't have flipped would have gone down as one of the greatest bosses of all time

So you're saying if he hadn't almost destroyed the borgota he would've been the best boss.
If he hadn't done the absolute worst thing he'd be the best.

Hmmm. Not sure that logic holds up.

Considering compared to Bonanno. Ran a borgota for 4 decades and lived out his days in his own bed.
Not sure how it's even a comparison.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882439
04/30/16 06:55 AM
04/30/16 06:55 AM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
What massino did with the family in the 90s was nothing short of phenomenal, the bonnanos considered the smallest of the 5 families were built up by massino to arguably one of the most powerful. Massino closed all the social clubs, stopped members from going to weddings and funerals and even got there seat back on the commission.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882440
04/30/16 06:56 AM
04/30/16 06:56 AM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
It still amazes me how people still compare bosses from the 40s 50s and 60s to the present day , modern day bosses like gotti , gigante , and massino had it far tougher than the likes of bonnano , gambino and lucchese , back then the Feds barely knew the mob existed let alone go after them . There was no Rico , no safety net of witness protection , no stiff penalties for drug dealing , no wiretaps and hardly any surveillance and hardly any rats , they had a free run . To compare bosses from back then to bosses of the modern era is naive , do u not thinking the the Feds back then had the resources and technology they have today that they wouldn't have got prosecutions and guys flipping left and right ?? Guys like accardo and gambino would have ended up in the same place as gigante , amuso and gotti . JAIL .

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882469
04/30/16 12:41 PM
04/30/16 12:41 PM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
Yeah Bonanno flipped but after the commission case was the only boss on the street and rebuilted the bonanno after the Donnie Brasco case, reported the family in the commission and in a case always successe to take the ok for made 10 men in s single ceremony.
Bonanno was boss for 40 y but wanted to left the power to his son and started a war and was force to go in exile in Arizona. Rastelli was for the most part of his reign in prison,Galante was the de facto boss but his greedy led to his dead.
So for me Massino,he received a family in bad situation and rebuilt it while the other bosses after bonanno ruined it.
Basciano was acting boss only for a while.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882478
04/30/16 02:57 PM
04/30/16 02:57 PM
B
Beenaround Offline
Capo
Beenaround  Offline
B
Capo
NONE...

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882479
04/30/16 03:08 PM
04/30/16 03:08 PM
Montreal, QC
TheRedZone Offline
Button
TheRedZone  Offline
Button
Montreal, QC
Could always go with Joe Bonnano if you're willing to overlook the stupid book, but I go Galante.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882484
04/30/16 04:36 PM
04/30/16 04:36 PM
In a wide open city
Tony_Pro Offline
Capo
Tony_Pro  Offline
Capo
In a wide open city
Originally Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto
Originally Posted By: Tony_Pro

Ahhh..A Genovese fan boy from hell. DIE!

lol, okay.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi
Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882486
04/30/16 04:50 PM
04/30/16 04:50 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Trying to choose the most competent Bonanno boss is like trying to choose the least diabetic mobster, or mobster with the smallest nose or mobster with the best hairpiece.

It's impossible.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: domwoods74] #882492
04/30/16 05:31 PM
04/30/16 05:31 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
It still amazes me how people still compare bosses from the 40s 50s and 60s to the present day , modern day bosses like gotti , gigante , and massino had it far tougher than the likes of bonnano , gambino and lucchese , back then the Feds barely knew the mob existed let alone go after them . There was no Rico , no safety net of witness protection , no stiff penalties for drug dealing , no wiretaps and hardly any surveillance and hardly any rats , they had a free run . To compare bosses from back then to bosses of the modern era is naive , do u not thinking the the Feds back then had the resources and technology they have today that they wouldn't have got prosecutions and guys flipping left and right ?? Guys like accardo and gambino would have ended up in the same place as gigante , amuso and gotti . JAIL .

Good point.

What massino did with the family in the 90s was nothing short of phenomenal, the bonnanos considered the smallest of the 5 families were built up by massino to arguably one of the most powerful. Massino closed all the social clubs, stopped members from going to weddings and funerals and even got there seat back on the commission.

A compelling argument can be made that it was circumstance, not Massino that enabled the Bonannos to rebuild.
Closing social clubs, preventing members from going to weddings and funerals have nothing to do with the Feds depriotising them.
More likely the growth and stability was due to not having a seat on the commission as a result of Pistone and Drugs which enabled the family to skirt the commission and concrete club convictions and directed the Feds attention elsewhere.
When federal attention finally turned their way they collapsed like a house of cards.
Vitale flipping can be seen as the catalyst and his decision to roll can be payed directly at Massino's feet. His decision to shelve Sal led to Sal rolling and the dominos of collapse that ensued.
So Massino it can be argued was not so much personally responsible for the growth and stability and caused the family to implode by his decisions with his final one to rat himself.

Find it hard to support a case for best boss ever, personally I think he is at the other end of the scale.

Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
Trying to choose the most competent Bonanno boss is like trying to choose the least diabetic mobster, or mobster with the smallest nose or mobster with the best hairpiece.

It's impossible.

lol

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #882498
04/30/16 05:46 PM
04/30/16 05:46 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein

Good point.

A compelling argument can be made that it was circumstance, not Massino that enabled the Bonannos to rebuild.
Closing social clubs, preventing members from going to weddings and funerals have nothing to do with the Feds depriotising them.
More likely the growth and stability was due to not having a seat on the commission as a result of Pistone and Drugs which enabled the family to skirt the commission and concrete club convictions and directed the Feds attention elsewhere.
When federal attention finally turned their way they collapsed like a house of cards.
Vitale flipping can be seen as the catalyst and his decision to roll can be payed directly at Massino's feet. His decision to shelve Sal led to Sal rolling and the dominos of collapse that ensued.
So Massino it can be argued was not so much personally responsible for the growth and stability and caused the family to implode by his decisions with his final one to rat himself.

Find it hard to support a case for best boss ever, personally I think he is at the other end of the scale.

Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden

It's impossible.

lol

+1 massimo got lucky. When massimo took over the feds had sqauds for every family except the Bonannos who shared theres with another sqaud only in the late 90s did the Bonannos get there own sqaud which they shared with the decavs i think

Look at the guys around him aswell his trusted guys all flipped as soon as there was heat one of his capos and vitale was his own mistake weeks before they all got busted guys were caught on tape saying they cant understand why vitale was made number 2 and he should be killed they were right he flipped as soon as there was heat

That was joeys hierachy he killed geogre S that was hardly showing smarts.

and the guy was a rat end of does not matter if he had been the greatest boss ever he flipped disgraced the family and made them into the laughing stock of the 21st century. The psychological damage of him the head of the commission official boss of the Bonanno mafia flipping can never be repaired the entire mafia was shaken when he flipped it was not just the Bonannos who felt it gambinos westside they all did

Other familys lost respect massimo left them in a worse situation than when he took over that in my eyes does not make a him a good boss one of the worst ever

Last edited by gangstereport; 04/30/16 05:47 PM.

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882553
05/01/16 08:01 PM
05/01/16 08:01 PM
Underboss
Underboss
It's been a long time since Joey Massino flipped. The Bonannos may have been a laughing stock at that particular time, but I tend to doubt they are viewed that way today. What this guy did is what he did. You're gonna view Joe C in a different light because of Massino? What about Porky? Louie DeCicco? Vinny TV? That doesn't make any sense. I agree that Massino was a disgrace, but he doesn't define who they are today. Not saying they are the perfect family.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882556
05/01/16 08:22 PM
05/01/16 08:22 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
your missing the point Joey massimo cant be a good boss he was a rat the damage psychologically he did to the mafia and to the Bonanno family is irreversible for someone like him to flip was shocking guys were caught on tape they were shocked.

The knock on effect of massimo and his hierachy all flipping hurt them bad that family for several years were seeing leading mobsters getting indicted all over the place it was a mess. That family is a mess compared to what it was and guys like joe C why would i look at them in a different light not there fault massimo and his leadership all of them massimos guys flipped.

No adminstration has lasted long there has been infighting tension in that family last year feds arrested street boss john pallazo for trying to start a war there knock on effect of those guys flipping is there all of the problems that family has had is linked back to massimo and those guys flipping

That family is still not the same never will be massimo and that leadership flipping that family has never been the same the knock on effect is still being felt today

Last edited by gangstereport; 05/01/16 08:25 PM.

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882557
05/01/16 08:27 PM
05/01/16 08:27 PM
Hudson County NJ
D
DB Offline
Underboss
DB  Offline
D
Underboss
Hudson County NJ
I have no clue on the answer but Massino was the worst boss in CN history. Thats the way he chose it to be and his name should not be on that list, that's just the game .

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: domwoods74] #882561
05/01/16 08:37 PM
05/01/16 08:37 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo

^^Well put Dom!

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: gangstereport] #882569
05/01/16 08:53 PM
05/01/16 08:53 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally Posted By: gangstereport
your missing the point Joey massimo cant be a good boss he was a rat the damage psychologically he did to the mafia and to the Bonanno family is irreversible for someone like him to flip was shocking guys were caught on tape they were shocked.

The knock on effect of massimo and his hierachy all flipping hurt them bad that family for several years were seeing leading mobsters getting indicted all over the place it was a mess. That family is a mess compared to what it was and guys like joe C why would i look at them in a different light not there fault massimo and his leadership all of them massimos guys flipped.

No adminstration has lasted long there has been infighting tension in that family last year feds arrested street boss john pallazo for trying to start a war there knock on effect of those guys flipping is there all of the problems that family has had is linked back to massimo and those guys flipping

That family is still not the same never will be massimo and that leadership flipping that family has never been the same the knock on effect is still being felt today

You do have a point. I'm not saying you don't. And I agree that Massino almost destroyed the family. He is the worst boss in the history of that family because he flipped. I agree with that! But we're also looking at what he did before he flipped. If he hadn't flipped then how would you view him?

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: DB] #882572
05/01/16 09:03 PM
05/01/16 09:03 PM
Underboss
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DB
I have no clue on the answer but Massino was the worst boss in CN history. Thats the way he chose it to be and his name should not be on that list, that's just the game .

You're right. It's not easy to include someone like Massino. I feel I was wrong and right. Wrong because he almost decapitated the family, but right because there's a few people who understand what he did before he made that decision. It comes down to a perspective. Both perspectives are interesting.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882574
05/01/16 09:53 PM
05/01/16 09:53 PM
Hudson County NJ
D
DB Offline
Underboss
DB  Offline
D
Underboss
Hudson County NJ
True - I guess looking at it in real life- the game vs. non real life - vid game

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882575
05/01/16 10:19 PM
05/01/16 10:19 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
My opinion it would be joe b, but he wrote that book guliani used to cripple the mob until today. massino ratted nothing to say there. galante was never boss, spero acting .rusty by default..vinny only there for a minute. rusty and joe killed a lot of good guys..that family was and is a mess. i can not vote..

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882580
05/01/16 10:50 PM
05/01/16 10:50 PM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
Originally Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto
Originally Posted By: DB

You're right. It's not easy to include someone like Massino. I feel I was wrong and right. Wrong because he almost decapitated the family, but right because there's a few people who understand what he did before he made that decision. It comes down to a perspective. Both perspectives are interesting.
exactly my point ralphie

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #882643
05/03/16 03:51 AM
05/03/16 03:51 AM
T
TheMechanic Offline
Made Member
TheMechanic  Offline
T
Made Member
Bonanno was the most influential and connected boss. None of the other bosses besides Galante (which he wasn't officially), had the political and business connections Bonanno had. Bonanno really didn't have any missteps until Appalachian, then Luchese and Gambino started maneuvering for Commission control and it kind of went downhill from there. Would of been a lot different if Columbo filled that contract instead of snitching.

Bonanno's book was a mistake, he said so much himself right before he was sentenced to almost 2 years for contempt for refusing to testify at the Commission trial. Massino shouldn't be on the ballot, he went full rat.

Re: The most competent Bonanno boss [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #918272
08/11/17 04:37 PM
08/11/17 04:37 PM
B
barry Offline
Made Member
barry  Offline
B
Made Member
Galante hands down !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull