GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 130 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,355
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,735
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,282
Posts1,057,844
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? #862077
10/02/15 03:04 PM
10/02/15 03:04 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Have been thinking lately: while I understand the so-called street "code of honor" about not giving up your friends/accomplices and not testifying to get you sentence reduced, I was wondering, what about the situations when a gangster has been mortally wounded and is dying, why do they refuse to identify the killers if they recognized them? I mean, killing you is one of the worst things they can do to you and, if you are in no position anymore to take revenge by the street code, using weapons, what's the point of protecting the people who KILLED YOU? I understand loyalty to friends, but loyalty to enemies is absurd imo. Like that gangster from the Chicago St.Valentine Day massacre who said "nobody shot me". How does make even little sense? Even if he hates cops more than gang rivals, he is dying, so naming the murderer wouldn't be "ratting", it would be "revenge", the only one a dying person is in a position to use.

What do you think? What's the point of refusing to identify somebody who killed you? I can even understand Frank Costello not identifying Gigante because at least he survived and, if necessary, was in a position to take care of things by himself. But a DYING person protecting THEIR OWN MURDERERS is simply laughable and stupid in my opinion. How does this even fit into the street code?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862085
10/02/15 03:21 PM
10/02/15 03:21 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Interesting question Dwalin. In my opinion, its knowing that you would die adhering to the oath and that you will be known as true Cosa Nostra. Ratting is Ratting no matter what, even in a revenge scenario.
Do you or anyone have any other examples besides Costello?

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862091
10/02/15 03:39 PM
10/02/15 03:39 PM
Past caring, then hang a left
H
helenwheels Offline
Underboss
helenwheels  Offline
H
Underboss
Past caring, then hang a left
Arnold Rothstein. The legend says that when the cops asked who shot him he replied "My mother did it"

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862093
10/02/15 03:43 PM
10/02/15 03:43 PM
NYC
tenpin477 Offline
Made Member
tenpin477  Offline
Made Member
NYC
A) They might target your family
B) These guys see Cosa Nostra as a thing of honor. Dying like a man brings great respect, even if they won't be here to enjoy it.

"Name one thing in this world that is not negotiable." Walter Hartwell White
Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862094
10/02/15 03:45 PM
10/02/15 03:45 PM
L
LurkerGuy Offline
Button
LurkerGuy  Offline
L
Button
"If I live, I'll kill you; if I die, I forgive you."

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: tenpin477] #862104
10/02/15 05:46 PM
10/02/15 05:46 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: tenpin477

HUGE point the original poster is missing. Not only family, but what if he had a brother that was also "in the family"? He could put that person in a world of trouble, especially if it was a family hit.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: dixiemafia] #862106
10/02/15 05:53 PM
10/02/15 05:53 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
Originally Posted By: tenpin477

HUGE point the original poster is missing. Not only family, but what if he had a brother that was also "in the family"? He could put that person in a world of trouble, especially if it was a family hit.

Mob guys don't take civilians out on purpose. Who is going to approve that? Hey if it was a failed hit on the mobster then that is on the shooter.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862108
10/02/15 05:58 PM
10/02/15 05:58 PM
F
fergie Offline
Underboss
fergie  Offline
F
Underboss
I think the obvious reason is that it's a belief about how they lived their life, rightly or wrongly in our opinion but others opinions count for nothing if you have strong beliefs...why would they consider it? Would you if it was something you had believed in for 50 plus years suddenly think it was a good idea to give a deathbed confession?

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Beanshooter] #862109
10/02/15 06:07 PM
10/02/15 06:07 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Beanshooter

Do you or anyone have any other examples besides Costello?

I am sure I read many examples, but I keep forgetting all those names, right now I have only 2 examples in mind:

1) Frank Gusenberg from the St Valentine Day Massacre who said "nobody shot me"

2) Benjamin Weiner killed in New York in 1948 by Bonanno associates Willie Rosenberg and Santo Bretagna. He was still alive when the police got to him, but just shook his head when asked who did it (not that it helped those 2, they fried on the chair anyway)

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 10/02/15 06:08 PM.

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862233
10/03/15 05:00 PM
10/03/15 05:00 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Courtesy of this 1963 Jimmy Breslin article....

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2...20456&hl=en

Quote:
One of the guys was a thin, dark-haired, soft-spoken 28 year-old named Carmine Persico. They call him Junior, but he has become a big man in South Brooklyn for the regular underworld organization

Early on the Sunday morning of May 19, Persico and another gangster were coming out of a girl's house when a truck came past them and rifle shots came out of the back.

Both Persico and the other gangster were hit.

Persico with five bullets in him, was taken to the hospital. Detectives quickly walked in to question him.

"Look, you're going to die any minute now," one of them told Persico. "Before you go, why don't you straighten this thing out and tell us who did it? You know who it was. What's the difference if you talk now? You're going to die.

Persico shook his head slowly. "I don't know anything," he told the detectives. They kept talking to him, and Persico kept saying, "I don't know anything," until they left.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862234
10/03/15 05:16 PM
10/03/15 05:16 PM
afriendofours Offline
Underboss
afriendofours  Offline
Underboss
Another example of this was in Australia Crime - Tony Eustace, who was alleged to have been murdered by Christopher Dale Flannery.

Eustace was found by two school children who were returning home from sports training at about 7 pm. He had been shot six times in the back outside the Airport Hilton in North Arncliffe and was lying beside his gold Mercedes, bleeding profusely. He was rushed to hospital.

Police attempted to speak to him, asking who had shot him, but Eustace told them to "fuck off" and died a short time later.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Moe_Tilden] #862280
10/03/15 11:17 PM
10/03/15 11:17 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
Courtesy of this 1963 Jimmy Breslin article....

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2...20456&hl=en

Quote:
One of the guys was a thin, dark-haired, soft-spoken 28 year-old named Carmine Persico. They call him Junior, but he has become a big man in South Brooklyn for the regular underworld organization

Early on the Sunday morning of May 19, Persico and another gangster were coming out of a girl's house when a truck came past them and rifle shots came out of the back.

Both Persico and the other gangster were hit.

Persico with five bullets in him, was taken to the hospital. Detectives quickly walked in to question him.

"Look, you're going to die any minute now," one of them told Persico. "Before you go, why don't you straighten this thing out and tell us who did it? You know who it was. What's the difference if you talk now? You're going to die.

Persico shook his head slowly. "I don't know anything," he told the detectives. They kept talking to him, and Persico kept saying, "I don't know anything," until they left.

Who shot him?

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862281
10/03/15 11:20 PM
10/03/15 11:20 PM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Its the principal. If you spend your whole life building a house, you wouldn't wanna help tear it down dying or not.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862282
10/03/15 11:28 PM
10/03/15 11:28 PM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
And apparently they wouldn't take you for your word if u were close to dying any way. Joey Chang told EMC "Timmy got me". Timmy was a nickname of one of zips with Stanfa. No one ever even entertained a jealousy motive or that maybe they caught Joey Chnag sharing info always beeen he was delusional and it was Joey,Mikey and the boys who did it. Not saying it wasn't just pointing out even if you rat on a guy as u lay wounded your word may not be taken as the truth.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: mchang93] #862293
10/04/15 04:12 AM
10/04/15 04:12 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: mchang93
And apparently they wouldn't take you for your word if u were close to dying any way. Joey Chang told EMC "Timmy got me". Timmy was a nickname of one of zips with Stanfa. No one ever even entertained a jealousy motive or that maybe they caught Joey Chnag sharing info always beeen he was delusional and it was Joey,Mikey and the boys who did it. Not saying it wasn't just pointing out even if you rat on a guy as u lay wounded your word may not be taken as the truth.

But was Timmy really one of the shooters? Did he switch from Stanfa to the Merlino faction?

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862358
10/04/15 01:36 PM
10/04/15 01:36 PM
Fleming_Ave Offline
Underboss
Fleming_Ave  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
Have been thinking lately: while I understand the so-called street "code of honor" about not giving up your friends/accomplices and not testifying to get you sentence reduced, I was wondering, what about the situations when a gangster has been mortally wounded and is dying, why do they refuse to identify the killers if they recognized them? I mean, killing you is one of the worst things they can do to you and, if you are in no position anymore to take revenge by the street code, using weapons, what's the point of protecting the people who KILLED YOU? I understand loyalty to friends, but loyalty to enemies is absurd imo. Like that gangster from the Chicago St.Valentine Day massacre who said "nobody shot me". How does make even little sense? Even if he hates cops more than gang rivals, he is dying, so naming the murderer wouldn't be "ratting", it would be "revenge", the only one a dying person is in a position to use.

What do you think? What's the point of refusing to identify somebody who killed you? I can even understand Frank Costello not identifying Gigante because at least he survived and, if necessary, was in a position to take care of things by himself. But a DYING person protecting THEIR OWN MURDERERS is simply laughable and stupid in my opinion. How does this even fit into the street code?

Like you said, they hated cops more than other gangsters. And also they may not have been certain they were dying. Before Witness Protection they might have figured it was better to take their chances, than be an informant.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862362
10/04/15 02:25 PM
10/04/15 02:25 PM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

But was Timmy really one of the shooters? Did he switch from Stanfa to the Merlino faction?
I think like many things in LCN we don't the whole story. Only people that testified were Natale a known bs artist and horsehead scafidi who said Mikey Chang held gun to his head and forced him to join hit party. Neither of those guys are believable in my book. Maybe I'm wrong but I think more was going on here then we are aware.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Dwalin2011] #862410
10/04/15 11:18 PM
10/04/15 11:18 PM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline
Underboss
North Jersey
Agreed!.....It makes no sense and maybe they are worried about ratting out the person who did it KNOWING that they only did it because their direct superiors(Capo, Boss) told them to do it.....Maybe the preservation of LCN is important to them since a lot have family involved in LCN.......You could essentially hurt the people and their ability to make money by speaking......Just speculation of course.

I also know that a lot of LCN member have such a deeply held disdain for government and their desire to take them down that, they are willing to give their own life to basically give them the proverbial finger of silence......I must say that, you gotta support their dedication either way.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: mchang93] #862533
10/05/15 09:31 PM
10/05/15 09:31 PM
K1NG6 Offline
Made Member
K1NG6  Offline
Made Member

What was "Timmy's" real name? Do you know? I think I saw this mentioned on one of the Mob Talk videos before by George Anastasia, but he never gave a full name either. Just said that the feds speculated that Timmy may have been a name/nickname for one of Stanfa's gunmen.

Did this Timmy really even exist? Or was Joey Chang just pulling something similar to the "I don't know who shot me" line by giving some generic name that he knew wouldn't be connected to anyone.

Re: Why do dying gangsters refuse to make statements? [Re: Beanshooter] #862550
10/05/15 10:54 PM
10/05/15 10:54 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Mob guys don't take civilians out on purpose. Who is going to approve that? Hey if it was a failed hit on the mobster then that is on the shooter.

You honestly think if a civilian threatened to put some big mob boss away they wouldn't at the least get threatened? Yes as time went out it was frowned upon. But in the era we of the murders we seem to be discussing anyone was fair game. If you were high enough up the ladder and one civilian stood in your way you better believe someone like Lucky would have had that person buried.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull