GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ciment, 1 invisible), 175 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,819
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,301
Posts1,058,208
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joseph and sam riccobono #825212
01/22/15 07:36 PM
01/22/15 07:36 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline OP
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Reading american desperado and i know roberts is nephew of these two guys. I believe joe was onetime consig of Gambinos and was caught at Appalachin.

Was sam a capo? Cant tell from Roberts book? Just speculating but was Riccobono ever in line to succeed when Gambino croaked or was he dead already? Pure speculation, and from what ive read castellano was always carlos choice to succeed him but just wondering?

Anyone have more insight on these two guys? Crew, power , turf etc?just me bein a curious novice mob reader any info the more knowledgeable guys on here can share would be much appreciated

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825257
01/23/15 05:37 AM
01/23/15 05:37 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
I know absolutely nothing about American Desperado. Haven´t read the book and have no clue if Jon Roberts were related to the Riccobonos in any way. Would be nice if somebody could set the record straight regarding this. He was definitely not made although he (may have) claimed this in his book.

Joseph Riccobono is an interesting guy. According to informants, he played a vital role in setting up the Anastasia hit. Allegedly, he appeared during a Commission meeting in front of the bosses and explained why Anastasia had been hit. He claimed that Anastasia had wanted to kill him and Joe Biondo and therefore had acted in self defence. Pretty sure this is not the whole picture of what actully happened. I believe in reality, Riccobono had his back covered by Lucchese and Genovese, and probably Gambino too, the real conspirators.

The crew Riccobono hailed from is the well known, once powerful Lower East Side Gambino crew that was run by Biondo and later by the Armone brothers. He seems to have been a filthy rich guy who had numerous of interests in the Garment center. Involved with labor racketeering first and foremost but I´m sure he also had traditional blue collar rackets under his control. He was caught in the Apalachin raid and jailed for a year for contempt. Released after having furnished "responsive" answers in front of a hearing, although he never revealed anything of importance.

Informants described him as very meticulous, neat, expensive dresser who was very devoted to his wife. They also described him as an avid boxer fan and race track addict. Loved to go fishing from charter boats leaving from Staten Island. He had terrible health. History of:

- sinus condition
- pleurisy
- bronchitis
- gallbladder problems
- prostate gland problems
- polyuria
- nocturia rales of both lungs
- syphilis of the central nervous system

In 1963, he attempted suicide by cutting his wrists and the alleged reason for him wanting to end his life was that he had just learned that he also was ill with cancer. He somewhat lost his stature with the Gambino Family after his suicide attempt. Joe Zingaro was a captain who was offered the consigliere spot but turned it down. Riccobono remained as consigliere but due to sickness and lack of mobilty, Joe N. Gallo was named acting consigliere and gradually took over Riccobono´s duties. It is believed that Riccobono was fully retired by 1969. He died in 1975. He was married to Christine, but I don´t think they had any children. Riccobono may have had children from a previous marrige though. One of the suicide notes found (which was addressed to his wife) said: "I tried my best to lead an honorable life. My greatest sin was to listen to my heart instead of my head. Forgive me. Try to readjust your life. There is Mary, Elsie and Johnny. God have mercy on my soul. Personally, my wife, my last thoughts are of you."

His brother is a mystery. I´m not sure they were close. I have no knowledge of him being a skipper. They say his name was Salvatore, but I´ve seen him listed as Thomas Salvatore Riccobono. According to FBI reports, Thomas was born in 1878.

[Linked Image]
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825260
01/23/15 06:56 AM
01/23/15 06:56 AM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Great info HK!

Mikeyballs211, the only real contenders for Gambino's throne were Castellano, Dellacroce & Gallo (Up until he had a heart attack)

Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825280
01/23/15 08:58 AM
01/23/15 08:58 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Joseph's parents were Joseph (Giuseppe), Sr., and Rosalie (Rosalia), and his siblings were Carmela, Maria and Dominick (Domenico). They originally came from Sferracavallo and were closely connected to the LoCiceros and the Vassallos. Joseph grew up at 426 East 13th Street, very close to Saverio Virzi, a caporegime under Ignazio Lupo and later Toto D'Aquila. All of these families, and that of Frank Scalise, were related back in Sicily and a number of these relatives (fathers, uncles, grandfathers, etc) were identified as Mafiosi in Palermo in the 1890s, some even farther back. Also, Giovanni Riccobono, Joseph's uncle or great-uncle (I'll have to double-check on that), was one of the oldest men to enter Sing Sing Prison; he was convicted of murdering a police officer. In the early 1900s, under Virzi, the Riccobonos were known as notorious Black Handers. BTW, this isn't too far from where Lucky Luciano grew up; Luciano was close to several young men who grew up here and later became Gambinos, such as Frank Scalise, Joe Biondo, Steve Armone and others, but Luciano ended up going with Masseria.

Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825281
01/23/15 09:06 AM
01/23/15 09:06 AM
Extortion Offline
Underboss
Extortion  Offline
Underboss
He's definitely is a Riccobono and in the suicide letter it even confirms it (although it could be another johnny I doubt it) and I believe in the book the author was able to verify him being one or having a name change. The guy is so rich and the story is so extensive I don't think he'd make up baseline facts like those up. Apparently his father was a complete and utter psychopath who told him "if you are going to do evil, make sure you do it as evil as you can." or something like that.

Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: Extortion] #825290
01/23/15 10:01 AM
01/23/15 10:01 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
Joseph's parents were Joseph (Giuseppe), Sr., and Rosalie (Rosalia), and his siblings were Carmela, Maria and Dominick (Domenico). They originally came from Sferracavallo and were closely connected to the LoCiceros and the Vassallos. Joseph grew up at 426 East 13th Street, very close to Saverio Virzi, a caporegime under Ignazio Lupo and later Toto D'Aquila. All of these families, and that of Frank Scalise, were related back in Sicily and a number of these relatives (fathers, uncles, grandfathers, etc) were identified as Mafiosi in Palermo in the 1890s, some even farther back. Also, Giovanni Riccobono, Joseph's uncle or great-uncle (I'll have to double-check on that), was one of the oldest men to enter Sing Sing Prison; he was convicted of murdering a police officer. In the early 1900s, under Virzi, the Riccobonos were known as notorious Black Handers. BTW, this isn't too far from where Lucky Luciano grew up; Luciano was close to several young men who grew up here and later became Gambinos, such as Frank Scalise, Joe Biondo, Steve Armone and others, but Luciano ended up going with Masseria.

"Mafia royalty" for sure. Perhaps even more so than the Gambinos. If anybody is interested in this early stuff, and would like to know more, you can find an excellent researched article here.

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/739915

I´m not trying to peddle here because I have no financial interest in this. I´m just giving you guys a heads up of what is available out there.

Originally Posted By: Extortion
He's definitely is a Riccobono and in the suicide letter it even confirms it (although it could be another johnny I doubt it) and I believe in the book the author was able to verify him being one or having a name change. The guy is so rich and the story is so extensive I don't think he'd make up baseline facts like those up. Apparently his father was a complete and utter psychopath who told him "if you are going to do evil, make sure you do it as evil as you can." or something like that.

Well, there were two John Riccobonos listed as have been with the Gambinos. But I doubt that either one of them is the Jon Roberts from American Desperado. The first one was born in 1910 and died in 1984. This is probably the Johnny referred to in the suicide note. This guy was made in the 1950s. The second one was an associate (possibly made) in the 1970s and nicknamed "Sonny". He was born in 1939. If anybody knows the exact date of Jon Robert´s birth, then we could confirm/challange Jon Robert´s story.

[Linked Image]
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: HairyKnuckles] #825312
01/23/15 12:21 PM
01/23/15 12:21 PM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: Faithful1

"Mafia royalty" for sure. Perhaps even more so than the Gambinos. If anybody is interested in this early stuff, and would like to know more, you can find an excellent researched article here.

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/739915

I´m not trying to peddle here because I have no financial interest in this. I´m just giving you guys a heads up of what is available out there.

Originally Posted By: Extortion

Well, there were two John Riccobonos listed as have been with the Gambinos. But I doubt that either one of them is the Jon Roberts from American Desperado. The first one was born in 1910 and died in 1984. This is probably the Johnny referred to in the suicide note. This guy was made in the 1950s. The second one was an associate (possibly made) in the 1970s and nicknamed "Sonny". He was born in 1939. If anybody knows the exact date of Jon Robert´s birth, then we could confirm/challange Jon Robert´s story.

Great post HK,great info and great research consistency.Because guys like you,Faithful and others this forum is worth checking into.The info you guys put up here,you could never find online.Its very helpfull for us who dont have acces to many LCN books,especially me coming from Serbia.
I Think i read somewhere that Jon Roberts was born in 47 or 48,if that helps at all.

Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825489
01/24/15 03:52 PM
01/24/15 03:52 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
In joe valachis book "the valachi papers" valachi had a sitdown with the Gambino family [Anastasia boss at the time] he was told that one joe ["staten island joe" riccobono was to be present at the table.

he learned just before entering dukes restaurant than Anastasia would be at the table instead. this was the late forties or early fifties.

In "American desperato" jon mentions that he had a meeting with his uncle joe at a restaurant where his uncle demanded a cut of his coke earnings.

is this the same joe riccobono that valachi mentions in his book?

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825533
01/24/15 06:29 PM
01/24/15 06:29 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Thanks for the insight fellas appreciate it.

Extorition- i know that comment his dad made about him bein as evil as he can be is seriously fucked up. Its no wonder he lived a life of crime.. The book is legit not all the way finishred, but from what i gathered he whacked a few people but was very coy bout it in the book I forget did he rat or did he do his time and just do interviews in the doc as a retired dealer?

Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825551
01/24/15 07:53 PM
01/24/15 07:53 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Binnie, I admit I don't know nothing about this Riccobono guy, but are you sure it was coke? I can't imagine coke dealing being that much of a racket in the 40-50s.. and I've studied drug addictions historically even in the US. It was probably heroin, right?

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: Malandrino] #825569
01/24/15 11:08 PM
01/24/15 11:08 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Malandrino-I just read the part binnie is referring to and hes correst joe riccobono shaked down his nephew jon for a portion if his coke money. In the story its early on in Jons coke dealing as he was still in nyc

Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825570
01/24/15 11:11 PM
01/24/15 11:11 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline OP
acting associate
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Anyone know anything about Sam Riccobono? I believe in American Desperado his nephew refers to him as a capo but maybe he was just a powerful soldier w a bunch of associates, just speculation on my part tho.

Curious to know more about Sam if anyone has any knowledge...I believe his brother Joe outranked him as a onetime consilgierr
E

Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825580
01/25/15 03:52 AM
01/25/15 03:52 AM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Ah, I misunderstood I thought the Anastasia sitdown was about coke, my bad.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: HairyKnuckles] #825809
01/26/15 10:57 AM
01/26/15 10:57 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Riccobono had his back covered by Lucchese and Genovese, and probably Gambino too, the real conspirators.

Why do you say probably? Wasn't Gambino the one who had the most to gain by having Anastasia killed?

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: mikeyballs211] #825863
01/26/15 04:20 PM
01/26/15 04:20 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
Malandrino-I just read the part binnie is referring to and hes correst joe riccobono shaked down his nephew jon for a portion if his coke money. In the story its early on in Jons coke dealing as he was still in nyc

yes, and jon referred to him as an old man and, refused to give him anything. if I remember right.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: Sonny_Black] #825929
01/27/15 06:59 AM
01/27/15 06:59 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Riccobono had his back covered by Lucchese and Genovese, and probably Gambino too, the real conspirators.

Why do you say probably? Wasn't Gambino the one who had the most to gain by having Anastasia killed?

I was referring to the ones who was at the Commission meeting described. Gambino may have been there. The informant doesn´t mention him being there though.

[Linked Image]
Re: Joseph and sam riccobono [Re: HairyKnuckles] #836760
04/09/15 01:12 AM
04/09/15 01:12 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
I read some passages in American Desperado and the claim that Jon Roberts was related to Joseph Riccobono (the Gambino consigliere) is complete bullshit.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull