GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 115 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,337
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,703
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,708
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810149
10/26/14 06:00 AM
10/26/14 06:00 AM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
Old Article from a bookie telling how the Merlino gang operates in Skinny joey's 2001 Trial...

Bookie tells how mob ruined his racket
Bookie tells how defendants ruined his racket

By KITTY CAPARELLA
caparek@phillynews.com

In 26 years, Michael Casolaro took action on whatever sport was in season - football, basketball, baseball, hockey - every day of the year.

He did so well, he bought a house, a car and was socking money away. And in all that time, he was arrested only three times for bookmaking. Not a bad career for a once-independent illegal sports bookie.

Then, the mob made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

In 1997, reputed mob soldier John "Johnny Chang" Ciancaglini told Casolara that he wanted to become "partners" in his sports- betting business.

"Since 1997, my life's been hell," testified Casolara yesterday in the mob racketeering trial.

"I really didn't want to do it," he added. But Ciancaglini insisted, 'You gotta or you gotta move.'"

Then, mob underboss Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino wanted a $15,000 loan to open a mob sports book. Casolara soon realized the loan would never be repaid.

"As soon as I started that day, I knew this day would come," said Casolara. "I told John I was not going to jail for those guys."

Ciancaglini and then-consigliere Steven Mazzone told Casolara to manage Ciancaglini's book and to pay the bettors' winnings from the books of Ciancaglini, Mazzone, George Borgesi and Martin "Marty" Angelina, all defendants on trial with Merlino.

Not only did Casolara have to collect bets and make payouts, he also had to come up with the mob's annual "Christmas package," or extortion payment of $5,000, even though he was managing the mob's sports book.

By Christmas 1998, the mob sports book was in the red more than $200,000. And Angelina was demanding a $10,000 Christmas package, he said.

Wracked with debt, Casolara appealed to Ciancaglini, who told him, "There's nothing I can do." He turned to then underboss Merlino for a break.

"No," Merlino told Casolara. "When are you going to pay the money? Go and pay it. That's the last time I'm going to tell you."

By then, Casolara had liquidated most of his assets to pay off bettors and had to borrow the $10,000 to pay off Angelina.

Four months later, Casolara heard loud banging on his door, so he flushed all his "work" - sports bets on rice paper - down the toilet, and waited for the cops to arrest him. But his neighbors told him it was Angelina outside with a baseball bat looking for him.

Casolara asked Ciancaglini to straighten out the problem with Angelina.

It turned out to be "a comment I never made" about Angelina, Casolara said.

So when his apartment was raided and his gambling paraphernalia seized on Dec. 19, 1999, he wasn't surprised, he said.

"I was affiliated with the mob."

Under questioning yesterday by Angelina's attorney, Jack McMahon, Casolara testified that he sold his video store and another business acquired as a result of his sports business.

"That's money laundering," charged McMahon.

When did you last make book?

"Last night."

You going to book bets tonight?

"Probably not."

The next day?

"Depending . . ." *

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: PetroPirelli] #810150
10/26/14 06:13 AM
10/26/14 06:13 AM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
Originally Posted By: PetroPirelli
You got it Mr. Vegas. I want a baker's dozen of cannoli's delivered to my door when he beats it. Maybe you can write everyone here an apology letter as well wink.

whistle

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810151
10/26/14 06:18 AM
10/26/14 06:18 AM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
I like the sound of that.... Mr. Vegas....

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810152
10/26/14 06:35 AM
10/26/14 06:35 AM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore
Old Article about Johnny Chang's release from his first stint in the can.....

'Johnny Chang' Out Of Slammer Mob Watchers Here Ponder His Future

by Kitty Caparella, Daily News Staff Writer
POSTED: January 06, 1995
Whose side are you gonna be on?

Your dead brother's or your disabled brother's - who had been jealous rivals in a deadly struggle to rule the Philadelphia crime family?

Or are you going to sit out the city's bloody mob war, now in remission, and go back to being a master plumber as you told U.S. District Judge Robert S. Gawthrop III and your jailed father?

These are questions mob watchers want to know about reputed mob associate John "Johnny Chang" Ciancaglini, who arrived home from prison yesterday.

Ciancaglini stepped off USAir Flight 244 at Philadelphia International Airport from Tallahassee, Fla., where he served six years in federal prison on 1988 drug-trafficking charges.

His dark hair lightened by the Florida sun, the 6-foot-1 Ciancaglini, 39, was wearing a burgundy turtleneck and charcoal slacks. Ciancaglini's cousin, Frank DiPasquale, one of the pallbearers at Ciancaglini's brother's 1993 funeral, was waiting to take him to a homecoming party to see two young daughters, his fiancee, Donna Rosa, family and friends, according to a mobwatcher.

Ciancaglini's youngest brother, Michael, was killed Aug. 5 1993, in a drive-by shooting while walking with Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino near their now-defunct clubhouse on Catharine Street near 6th. Merlino, the crime family's heir apparent, was wounded.

The two headed a rival faction of mob wannabes that had been engaged in a bloody war with crime boss John Stanfa to take over the crime syndicate.

Ciancaglini's middle brother, Joseph, however, was on Stanfa's side serving as his underboss, the No. 2 position.

On March 2, 1993, Joseph Ciancaglini was riddled with five bullets inside his takeout restaurant next to Stanfa's food-importing business in Grays Ferry.

He is permanently disabled, walks with a cane, has impaired eyesight and wears a hearing aid, say law enforcement sources.

Authorities believe Michael Ciancaglini may have set up his brother Joseph. That's why Stanfa gave his hitman-turned-informant John Veasey the go-ahead to ''take out" Michael.

Ciancaglini's father, Joseph "Chickie" Ciancaglini, is a mob capo serving a 45-year federal sentence for racketeering under the Nicodemo "Little Nicky" Scarfo regime.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: merlino] #810153
10/26/14 07:25 AM
10/26/14 07:25 AM
B
brock_samson Offline
Wiseguy
brock_samson  Offline
B
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: merlino
crazy how national joey has gone shows the ublic fascination with the mafia

I don't know, looks like PR strategy for his restaurant to me. Pretty good way to draw people in. Basically the same as actors calling the paparazzi or people magazine when they need attention.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: merlino] #810157
10/26/14 08:11 AM
10/26/14 08:11 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: merlino
crazy how national joey has gone shows the ublic fascination with the mafia

I wouldn't call it national. Maybe viral, but not national. Because this story has gotten almost zero press in the New York City media.

It's only big in Philly, Southeast Florida and online. But if it's not being covered in the New York Daily News or Post, then it's a safe bet that it isn't getting much press in the smaller markets.

My point is, most of your "citizen" types know the name John Gotti. But if you were to ask someone in Tulsa, Oklahoma or Boise, Idaho, who Joey Merlino is, they'd probably ask you if he was the guy who owned Papa John's pizza.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: DanteMoltisanti] #810163
10/26/14 10:05 AM
10/26/14 10:05 AM
LV
F
flamingokid123 Offline
Underboss
flamingokid123  Offline
F
Underboss
LV
Originally Posted By: DanteMoltisanti
And Nicodemo isn't as tough as some people make him out to be, he folded to the Pagans back in the day.
I don't agree. Dante out of the SOLDIERS that were out on the streets. Nicodemo I would say was the most feared. All due respect to the rest of the soldiers they aren't scaring anybody. Nicodemo however is no joke.

Last edited by flamingokid123; 10/26/14 10:22 AM.
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810165
10/26/14 10:26 AM
10/26/14 10:26 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Yea I wouldn't say he is national either. My parents watch the news every single damn day and they couldn't tell you who Joey Merlino is, but both would know who John Gotti was.

Last edited by dixiemafia; 10/26/14 10:26 AM.
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: pizzaboy] #810182
10/26/14 12:28 PM
10/26/14 12:28 PM
K1NG6 Offline
Made Member
K1NG6  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
The guy whose opinion I respect the most on that town tells me that he doesn't think Nicodemo will flip. And even if he did, that they'd have to flip Canalichio as well.

PB, I don't want to get into your business or personal conversations you've had with others, but would you be able to explain a little more about what he said about why they'd need Dame Canalichio, too? I know it's believed that Dame was one of the shooters (along with Nicodemo) for atleast the Johnny Gongs hit. Many believe that Dom Grande was the shooter for the DiPietro hit that Nicodemo is now waiting trial for. But, if Dame and Nicodemo were both there for the Gongs murder, why would they need both guys to flip?

And regarding Nicodemo, I've always pretty firmly believed that this guy wasn't going to turn rat, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out. I don't know Canalichio from a hole in the wall, but if I had to speculate I couldn't see him flipping either. He's in the can until 2021 because he went down in the Ligambi racketeering trial; and before that indictment came down in 2011, he was already in prison serving a nearly 5 year sentence for drug dealing.

I'm actually with Petro, for some odd reason, I think Nicodemo is going to beat this case.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: K1NG6] #810184
10/26/14 12:47 PM
10/26/14 12:47 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: K1NG6
PB, I don't want to get into your business or personal conversations you've had with others, but would you be able to explain a little more about what he said about why they'd need Dame Canalichio, too? I know it's believed that Dame was one of the shooters (along with Nicodemo) for atleast the Johnny Gongs hit. Many believe that Dom Grande was the shooter for the DiPietro hit that Nicodemo is now waiting trial for. But, if Dame and Nicodemo were both there for the Gongs murder, why would they need both guys to flip?

Because if Nicodemo were to flip, his character would be called into question. He'd be an admitted murderer at that point. And when you're ONLY witness is an admitted trigger man, you're less likely to sway a jury. But when you have BOTH shooters (assuming they're both shooters) take the stand, a conviction becomes far more likely.

Originally Posted By: K1NG6
I'm actually with Petro, for some odd reason, I think Nicodemo is going to beat this case.

No sense in speculating and bickering about something that's three months away, but I respectfully think you're both crazy. This is a slam dunk case. If Nicodemo doesn't flip---and again, some well connected Philly guys are saying they don't think he will---then he dies in jail. I just don't see any middle ground for him.

But time---and time alone---will tell. Because the bottom line is, none of what we post here matters. What matters is when the judge asks the foreman to read the verdict wink.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: pizzaboy] #810187
10/26/14 12:56 PM
10/26/14 12:56 PM
K1NG6 Offline
Made Member
K1NG6  Offline
Made Member
Because if Nicodemo were to flip, his character would be called into question. He'd be an admitted murderer at that point. And when you're ONLY witness is an admitted trigger man, you're less likely to sway a jury. But when you have BOTH shooters (assuming they're both shooters) take the stand, a conviction becomes far more likely.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks for the answer, and I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to get into your business.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: pizzaboy] #810189
10/26/14 01:10 PM
10/26/14 01:10 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
but I respectfully think you're both crazy. This is a slam dunk case.

Agreed. There is NO WAY he beats this case. To think a jury will buy "yea I was carjacked while I happened to be outside of a mob hit and I'm a mobster myself then the carjacker runs out of my car" bullshit is NOT going to fly with a jury. That is even laughable they even want to go ahead with that defense.

If I remember correctly didn't they even try tampering with a juror in the 1st case or was that the Ligambi trial? If it is this case that tells you how much they believe in that defense as well.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: DanteMoltisanti] #810222
10/26/14 04:14 PM
10/26/14 04:14 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss

"I really didn't want to do it," he added. But Ciancaglini insisted, 'You gotta or you gotta move.'"

Then, mob underboss Joseph "Skinny Joey" Merlino wanted a $15,000 loan to open a mob sports book. Casolara soon realized the loan would never be repaid.

"As soon as I started that day, I knew this day would come," said Casolara. "I told John I was not going to jail for those guys."

Ciancaglini and then-consigliere Steven Mazzone told Casolara to manage Ciancaglini's book and to pay the bettors' winnings from the books of Ciancaglini, Mazzone, George Borgesi and Martin "Marty" Angelina, all defendants on trial with Merlino.

So he basically admits to Ciancaglini that he will rat them out if arrested and Ciancaglini STILL does business with him?!?! Am I missing something here?

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810223
10/26/14 04:16 PM
10/26/14 04:16 PM
ItalianForever Offline
Capo
ItalianForever  Offline
Capo
Are people still debating whether Joey is involved? What are the odds when he gets out he's back in south jersey every other week?

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810225
10/26/14 04:21 PM
10/26/14 04:21 PM
Midwest
LittleNicky Offline
Underboss
LittleNicky  Offline
Underboss
Midwest
I have a better chance at becoming president than tony nicks beating that murder case with the braindead retarded defense.

Should probably ask Mr. Kierney. I guess if you're Italian, you should be in prison.
I've read the RICO Act, and I can tell you it's more appropriate...
for some of those guys over in Washington than it is for me or any of my fellas here
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: dixiemafia] #810247
10/26/14 07:29 PM
10/26/14 07:29 PM
USA
JoeSlim Offline
"You only live once"
JoeSlim  Offline
"You only live once"
Made Member
USA
Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
Yea I wouldn't say he is national either. My parents watch the news every single damn day and they couldn't tell you who Joey Merlino is, but both would know who John Gotti was.

No he is def not national news BUT if say Mazzone, Borgesi, Chang, Angelina. Or lancelotti flipped and gave the insight on Halloween night, the highway, the diner, turra, Veasey, or anything else that went on in the 90s it would be in CNN n everyone would know these guys, my point is if they were ever brought up on them charges and convicted that's when it would become big news.

"You treat me good I treat you better, you treat my bad I treat you worse" #respect
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: dixiemafia] #810251
10/26/14 08:11 PM
10/26/14 08:11 PM
New York
PetroPirelli Offline
Underboss
PetroPirelli  Offline
Underboss
New York

Agreed. There is NO WAY he beats this case.

Just like the OJ Simpson trial was a slam dunk case too, fellas. The glove don't fit ya honor!

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810252
10/26/14 08:14 PM
10/26/14 08:14 PM
New York
PetroPirelli Offline
Underboss
PetroPirelli  Offline
Underboss
New York
And I don't mean to continue speculating but I've seen people beat crazier cases.

Let's not forget that he cannot be recognized as a member of LCN in the case which means the jurors will have to look at Nico as a normal American citizen going to and from work everyday in busy South Philly.

Last edited by PetroPirelli; 10/26/14 08:15 PM.
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: PetroPirelli] #810254
10/26/14 08:17 PM
10/26/14 08:17 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Agreed. There is NO WAY he beats this case.

Just like the OJ Simpson trial was a slam dunk case too, fellas. The glove don't fit ya honor!

I get it, Petro. Stranger things have happened. But Anthony Nicodemo won't have the luxury of a race baiting attorney, or a predominantly Italian American jury (like Simpson had with the Blacks).

Let's just wait and see what happens wink smile.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: PetroPirelli] #810255
10/26/14 08:18 PM
10/26/14 08:18 PM
R
Red_63 Offline
Made Member
Red_63  Offline
R
Made Member
And I don't mean to continue speculating but I've seen people beat crazier cases.

Let's not forget that he cannot be recognized as a member of LCN in the case which means the jurors will have to look at Nico as a normal American citizen going tYo and from work everyday in busy South Philly.

Plus since this is a STATE case they just recently got rid of mandatory minimums and have set new guidelines but the prosecution isn't even offering the guy a plea

Yeah Your Gangster Alright!!
Keep making excuses on why our country is in bad shape just admit your a hump already
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: Red_63] #810256
10/26/14 08:19 PM
10/26/14 08:19 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Red_63

Let's not forget that he cannot be recognized as a member of LCN in the case which means the jurors will have to look at Nico as a normal American citizen going tYo and from work everyday in busy South Philly.

Plus since this is a STATE case they just recently got rid of mandatory minimums and have set new guidelines but the prosecution isn't even offering the guy a plea

Which speaks volumes about their confidence. But time will tell.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810306
10/27/14 06:24 AM
10/27/14 06:24 AM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
Too much to speculate about. Merlino is tucked away for a spell. Let's see what LE can pull together in the next few months, if anything substantial.

I've said this before but I really wouldn't be surprised if it takes Nicodemo a few years in the can before he comes around to the Feds. If he's convicted, it's his first real look at hard time. Some guys think they can do the time and then decide after a while it's not for them. Others, well, they like prison (I don't get that mentality).

As for Canalichio, he's a stubborn dude. And, quite a few dominoes have to fall for him to see the advantage to flipping. Nicodemo turning for 1, the law getting sufficient evidence to corroborate a convicted state murderers' story (Nicodemo won't flip until convicted), and a jury to be convinced of it all. We've all seen this go both ways in trials.

I'm not saying 12-15 years in jail is a cake walk. But, in the grand scheme of things, as a young guy (40-45 years old), getting away with murder and only having to sacrifice 12 years of your life for it, is a small price to pay. So, IF NICODEMO flips, Canalichio better hire a good lawyer to navigate this for him.

Last edited by NickyWhip; 10/27/14 06:25 AM.

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: PetroPirelli] #810342
10/27/14 08:58 AM
10/27/14 08:58 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama

Apples and Oranges my friend. I was a teenager then so there is a lot I don't remember of course, but I don't think they found the murder weapon on O.J. minutes after the murder and he wasn't seen "at the murder scene" by eyewitnesses.

Nicodemo is fucked.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810372
10/27/14 10:17 AM
10/27/14 10:17 AM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
More on the court testimony and the task force watching Joey at the Restaurant and Cigar Bar. The two investigators admit to having had a drink while watching Joey but claim they only did so because Fiore was getting suspicious, they denied smoking cigars. You know these two LE guys wanted to smoke a big fat blunt with their Jamieson on the rocks and dance the night away with all the hot South Florida ladies. smile

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/nw-ph...-prison-updated

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: NNY78] #810373
10/27/14 10:22 AM
10/27/14 10:22 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: NNY78
More on the court testimony and the task force watching Joey at the Restaurant and Cigar Bar. The two investigators admit to having had a drink while watching Joey but claim they only did so because Fiore was getting suspicious, they denied smoking cigars. You know these two LE guys wanted to smoke a big fat blunt with their Jamieson on the rocks and dance the night away with all the hot South Florida ladies. smile

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/nw-ph...-prison-updated

All kidding aside, I think undercover agents have a green light to break certain laws during the course of their investigations nowadays. Murder being the big no-no, of course. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out that female agents have gone as far as banging some of these guys.

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810376
10/27/14 10:31 AM
10/27/14 10:31 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

They would have looked WAY too conspicuous if they weren't having a cocktail or two. If I was in their shoes, I would have went much further. You're playing a part and if you aren't doing a good job of it you could get killed (worst case scenario).

Look at what happened to Everett Hatcher. Dangerous, dangerous work going undercover. IDK if I'd have the composure to do it.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: bobbyvegas] #810389
10/27/14 11:00 AM
10/27/14 11:00 AM
ne philly
merlino Offline
jesus quintana
merlino  Offline
jesus quintana
Underboss
ne philly

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: Moe_Tilden] #810398
10/27/14 11:18 AM
10/27/14 11:18 AM
Boca Raton
NNY78 Offline
The Counselor
NNY78  Offline
The Counselor
Underboss
Boca Raton
Moe, I managed to find a video of the two undercover guys while they were watching Joey at the night club. Seems these two have the same hobby you do. tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok62xAs0qy0

Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: DanteMoltisanti] #811459
11/03/14 11:36 AM
11/03/14 11:36 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Old Article from a bookie telling how the Merlino gang operates in Skinny joey's 2001 Trial...

Bookie tells how mob ruined his racket
Bookie tells how defendants ruined his racket

By KITTY CAPARELLA
caparek@phillynews.com

In 26 years, Michael Casolaro took action on whatever sport was in season - football, basketball, baseball, hockey - every day of the year.

He did so well, he bought a house, a car and was socking money away. And in all that time, he was arrested only three times for bookmaking. Not a bad career for a once-independent illegal sports bookie.

Then, the mob made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

In 1997, reputed mob soldier John "Johnny Chang" Ciancaglini told Casolara that he wanted to become "partners" in his sports- betting business.

"Since 1997, my life's been hell," testified Casolara yesterday in the mob racketeering trial.

Not only did Casolara have to collect bets and make payouts, he also had to come up with the mob's annual "Christmas package," or extortion payment of $5,000, even though he was managing the mob's sports book.

By Christmas 1998, the mob sports book was in the red more than $200,000. And Angelina was demanding a $10,000 Christmas package, he said.

Wracked with debt, Casolara appealed to Ciancaglini, who told him, "There's nothing I can do." He turned to then underboss Merlino for a break.

"No," Merlino told Casolara. "When are you going to pay the money? Go and pay it. That's the last time I'm going to tell you."

By then, Casolara had liquidated most of his assets to pay off bettors and had to borrow the $10,000 to pay off Angelina.

Four months later, Casolara heard loud banging on his door, so he flushed all his "work" - sports bets on rice paper - down the toilet, and waited for the cops to arrest him. But his neighbors told him it was Angelina outside with a baseball bat looking for him.

Casolara asked Ciancaglini to straighten out the problem with Angelina.

It turned out to be "a comment I never made" about Angelina, Casolara said.

So when his apartment was raided and his gambling paraphernalia seized on Dec. 19, 1999, he wasn't surprised, he said.

"I was affiliated with the mob."

Under questioning yesterday by Angelina's attorney, Jack McMahon, Casolara testified that he sold his video store and another business acquired as a result of his sports business.

"That's money laundering," charged McMahon.

When did you last make book?

"Last night."

You going to book bets tonight?

"Probably not."

The next day?

"Depending . . ." *

i know its easier said than done but the day Chang comes knockin is the day you close and move. and im being serious.

When Interpol?
Re: merlino hearing delayed [Re: pizzaboy] #811570
11/03/14 09:01 PM
11/03/14 09:01 PM
New York
PetroPirelli Offline
Underboss
PetroPirelli  Offline
Underboss
New York
But Anthony Nicodemo won't have the luxury of a race baiting attorney, or a predominantly Italian American jury (like Simpson had with the Blacks).

Let's just wait and see what happens wink smile.

Ok Ok I agree with you there and I get your point. The other comment about no plea does make it seem like the State is pretty confident but like you said let's wait and see what happens. I always rooted for the bad guys in movies wink.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull