GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 117 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,815
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,300
Posts1,058,175
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Organization or way of life #797056
08/20/14 12:00 PM
08/20/14 12:00 PM
Belette Offline OP
Made Member
Belette  Offline OP
Made Member
I recently read Bonannos biography and he kept repeating that Cosa Nostra is not an organization in the military sense of the world, but it's rather a culture, a way of life. Same way to be a mafioso is not to be a soldier or a captain, but rather a way to carry yourself. I'm currently reading the Five Families and some of the quotes from early investigations repeat this thought.

So, what do you guys think about this? Maybe it's a stupid philosophical question, but it makes me wonder. It seems like the cooperating guys often miss the way of life and at the same time talk about the resentment of no honor and everyone breaking the rules. Of course they sing to save their asses, but you get the idea. Is the problem of Cosa Nostra (and gain of society) a lack of organization and too much personal freedom? Is it too much of a lifestyle and not a tight organization? I guess the reason why the mob is popular for fiction is the fascinating culture of it, and I'm sure that's why most of us are here.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797057
08/20/14 12:04 PM
08/20/14 12:04 PM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
In the old days it was a brotherhood , no it's not our thing it's my thing . Times have changed young guys want everything and they want it yesterday , they have no respect for anyone , most of them r drug dealers and users because it's the quickest easiest way to make money plus u don't need brains

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797060
08/20/14 12:19 PM
08/20/14 12:19 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Agreed. The drug dealing destroyed the Mafia as Bonanno knew it. Today, or let me rephrase it...from the 1950s and on, the Mafia is almost synonymous with drug dealing. Although drug dealing doesn´t seem to be the major income for them nowadays. It´s been a while since NY members were caught dealing heavy drugs like heroin.

[Linked Image]
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: HairyKnuckles] #797064
08/20/14 12:56 PM
08/20/14 12:56 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
In Sicily and in Italy it's a way of life. In America it's a organization, and a collapsing organization at that. The End.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797065
08/20/14 12:57 PM
08/20/14 12:57 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
I have always compared the relationships between the members in the old Mafia to relationships between members in a traditional Sicilian blood family. Bonanno, when he talks about a culture, a way of life, his words are influenced by the culture of the old Sicilian ways, with roots in the old feudal society. The old Sicilan Mafia, of course, was a a mirror image of this society but a great part of it was lost when the Mafia was americanized. That´s why, perhaps, you who are more new to this can´t understand what Bonanno is talking about because you´ve missed the gap between the old Mafia and the Mafia of today.

Last edited by HairyKnuckles; 08/20/14 01:02 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: HairyKnuckles] #797066
08/20/14 01:01 PM
08/20/14 01:01 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
I have always compared the relationships between the members in the old Mafia to relationships between members in a traditional Sicilian blood family. Bonanno, when he talks about a culture, a way of life, his words are influenced by the culture of the old Sicilian ways, with roots in the old feudal society. The old Sicilan Mafia, of course, was a a mirror image of this society but a great part of it was lost when the Mafia was americanized.

See my post just above yours, HK.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: pizzaboy] #797068
08/20/14 01:05 PM
08/20/14 01:05 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I have always compared the relationships between the members in the old Mafia to relationships between members in a traditional Sicilian blood family. Bonanno, when he talks about a culture, a way of life, his words are influenced by the culture of the old Sicilian ways, with roots in the old feudal society. The old Sicilan Mafia, of course, was a a mirror image of this society but a great part of it was lost when the Mafia was americanized.

I could be wrong of course because I´m definitely not an expert on todays Sicilian Mafia. But I would bet that the Mafia in Sicily, just like the Italian sociaty as a whole and societies in the western world generally, is getting more and more americanized.

[Linked Image]
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: HairyKnuckles] #797069
08/20/14 01:12 PM
08/20/14 01:12 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

I could be wrong of course because I´m definitely not an expert on todays Sicilian Mafia. But I would bet that the Mafia in Sicily, just like the Italian sociaty as a whole and societies in the western world generally, is getting more and more americanized.

Agreed. But it will still outlive the American mob (and that's not to suggest that the American mob is closing up shop any time soon).

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: HairyKnuckles] #797071
08/20/14 01:15 PM
08/20/14 01:15 PM
Belette Offline OP
Made Member
Belette  Offline OP
Made Member
I see that the consensus is that the culture is dead. This is good news for Americans. I would challenge a little bit though the lack of brotherhood and their values. I can't imagine working with a guy for years and decades without feeling something for him. I think the reason that mob still exists is only because the culture isn't completely dead, I'm sure there are people who still feel ok in it. I imagine they'd all walk off if it was as dead as everyone says it is.

As I posted in an earlier thread, my gf is Corsican and I hope they and Italy will soon discover the RICO. I hope they lose the organization, but hopefully not the culture and spirit. There's a lot of good in that.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: pizzaboy] #797072
08/20/14 01:18 PM
08/20/14 01:18 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

Agreed. But it will still outlive the American mob (and that's not to suggest that the American mob is closing up shop any time soon).

Of course. I fully agree.

[Linked Image]
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797082
08/20/14 02:14 PM
08/20/14 02:14 PM
PA/FL
oldschool3 Offline
Capo
oldschool3  Offline
Capo
PA/FL
The reason it still exists isn't for warm fuzzy feelings for their brother soldier, its for money and the extraordinary greed that goes with it.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: oldschool3] #797086
08/20/14 02:37 PM
08/20/14 02:37 PM
Belette Offline OP
Made Member
Belette  Offline OP
Made Member
Originally Posted By: oldschool3
The reason it still exists isn't for warm fuzzy feelings for their brother soldier, its for money and the extraordinary greed that goes with it.

Oh I didn't know that, I thought these were fuzzy guys.

The fact that there are old timers and old guys who come back to this from prison indicates that it has something other than greed. This post is stupid because it's so obvious, I'm sorry.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797093
08/20/14 03:03 PM
08/20/14 03:03 PM
PA/FL
oldschool3 Offline
Capo
oldschool3  Offline
Capo
PA/FL
The old timers come back because this is the only life they ever knew and because greed doesn't know age...sorry...yes they may happen to feel deeply for one or another fellow soldier, but the mob is about money...period.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797097
08/20/14 03:09 PM
08/20/14 03:09 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Belette

Oh I didn't know that, I thought these were fuzzy guys.

The fact that there are old timers and old guys who come back to this from prison indicates that it has something other than greed. This post is stupid because it's so obvious, I'm sorry.

Relax. Take a deep breath. At the end of the day, they're all fucking criminals. And I think that's all that oldschool3 was trying to say.

If we're all judged by the sum total of what we do with our lives, the fact that some Mafiosi are dedicated to their criminal brothers will do very little to offset the fact that they've committed crime after crime all their lives.

And welcome to the board, Belette smile.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: oldschool3] #797099
08/20/14 03:13 PM
08/20/14 03:13 PM
Belette Offline OP
Made Member
Belette  Offline OP
Made Member
The old timers come back because this is the only life they ever knew and because greed doesn't know age...sorry...yes they may happen to feel deeply for one or another fellow soldier, but the mob is about money...period.

Yes, you are right. I'm just saying that greed doesn't keep that or any other organization together. Has to be something else. Otherwise we would have rats after getting a 3 year sentence.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: pizzaboy] #797100
08/20/14 03:24 PM
08/20/14 03:24 PM
Belette Offline OP
Made Member
Belette  Offline OP
Made Member
Hey, very nice to meet you Pizzaboy. Believe it or not, I'm the guy who checked the whole message board history with all interesting topics. It took me probably a few weeks to go though it all. I have a very good idea what has been discussed on this board, but I'm new and stupid still wink

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797104
08/20/14 04:18 PM
08/20/14 04:18 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Hey, very nice to meet you Pizzaboy. Believe it or not, I'm the guy who checked the whole message board history with all interesting topics. It took me probably a few weeks to go though it all. I have a very good idea what has been discussed on this board, but I'm new and stupid still wink
Welcome and enjoy. And don't sell yourself short,sometimes I'm old and stupid.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797118
08/20/14 04:41 PM
08/20/14 04:41 PM
New York
PetroPirelli Offline
Underboss
PetroPirelli  Offline
Underboss
New York
Too bad what the new generation is doing to not only the mob but the world. Lotsa you guys talk about the decline of LCN in the states. How long you guys think American LCN will be able to survive?

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797155
08/20/14 06:14 PM
08/20/14 06:14 PM
PA/FL
oldschool3 Offline
Capo
oldschool3  Offline
Capo
PA/FL
It will survive as long as there is a desire for easy/fast money..the question is how long will it survive as currently constructed...and that is very debatable...I believe that in the next 25 years that only NY and possibly Chicago will have enough of a depleted Italian population to continue as is; but then again, the criminal element is a resilient bunch.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: oldschool3] #797159
08/20/14 06:27 PM
08/20/14 06:27 PM
New York
PetroPirelli Offline
Underboss
PetroPirelli  Offline
Underboss
New York
It will survive as long as there is a desire for easy/fast money..the question is how long will it survive as currently constructed...and that is very debatable...I believe that in the next 25 years that only NY and possibly Chicago will have enough of a depleted Italian population to continue as is; but then again, the criminal element is a resilient bunch.

That's more of what I meant - how long will they continue to operate the way they were and are constructed today. Lets not forget the 6th family though. I believe the LCN in Canada has a better chance of surviving the test of time over any family in NY but correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Lou_Para] #797191
08/20/14 07:52 PM
08/20/14 07:52 PM
Belette Offline OP
Made Member
Belette  Offline OP
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Lou_Para
Welcome and enjoy. And don't sell yourself short,sometimes I'm old and stupid.

Thank you Lou!

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797195
08/20/14 08:24 PM
08/20/14 08:24 PM
T
TheAustralian Offline
Made Member
TheAustralian  Offline
T
Made Member
It seems to be a way of life with the few guys at the top treating it like a business.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797201
08/20/14 11:31 PM
08/20/14 11:31 PM
Ted Offline
Underboss
Ted  Offline
Underboss

God Damn! eek

And welcome.

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797209
08/21/14 01:09 AM
08/21/14 01:09 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss

Yes, you are right. I'm just saying that greed doesn't keep that or any other organization together. Has to be something else. Otherwise we would have rats after getting a 3 year sentence.

The core issue with LCN, what is its greatest strength and a core current weakness is that it pertains values stronger than just a criminal organisation.

It 'offers' community, self respect, honour, family, history and the opportunity to be part of something greater. A purpose.

Everyone cant be a brain surgeon. So for those that werent born with those abilities, those lacking or on the bottom end of the spectrum, it 'offers' success and respect for those who couldnt otherwise attain that via regular means in society.

And thats a point worth pondering.

What about the guy who wasnt born smart, intelligent but wants, like us, to have a rich, successful, respectful life?
Why should he be condemned to ditch digging purely out of genetic disposition (or social/economic means) that is no fault of his own?

LCN could, maybe historically have offered a semblance of honour/respect in theory for those who wanted success in life, but were born (genetically or socially) without the means.

These ideals are now gone. If they ever existed.

But that concept, for those on the harder side of life, true or not, will always be appealing. Until they learn the truth.

Though gone, its a concept worth consideration. And maybe there isnt a black and white here.

The world is FULL of grey.

But end of day, though worth musing, that's all it will be...

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797221
08/21/14 05:15 AM
08/21/14 05:15 AM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
Long before the internet and before the mafia media darlings (scarfo, gotti), it would be very easy for someone to justify their desire to become part of LCN because, there was very little "available" information to deter someone from joining. In the 50s, 60s and part of the 70s, guys still maintained their code of honor, even if it was a facade. And, the neighborhood kid had nothing else to go by, except his own observations.

But, don't get it twisted, LCN is very much gang mentality. It's completely americanized over here and now rooted 100% in greed. The sad thing is that most of america, banking, real estate, health care, construction, etc., is modeled on extreme capitalism. Which, also is rooted in greed.

And, if you are "chosen" to become a member, in todays age, it's 100% based on your earning potential. And you are joining for the comfort of knowing you can operate your criminal activities with zero impunity from your peers AND if someone tries to take it from you, the family is there for you.

In essence, the family extorts its own members. It's a pyramid scheme where you kick UP to be protected.

Last edited by NickyWhip; 08/21/14 05:18 AM.

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797222
08/21/14 05:41 AM
08/21/14 05:41 AM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Nicky you got to include another Mafia Darling there, Joey Merlino!

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: NickyWhip] #797238
08/21/14 06:30 AM
08/21/14 06:30 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: NickyWhip
In essence, the family extorts its own members. It's a pyramid scheme where you kick UP to be protected.

Absolutely.

As is all OC.

But the question is what draws people to LCN specifically.

Hence my answer.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
Re: Organization or way of life [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #797242
08/21/14 06:36 AM
08/21/14 06:36 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
But the question is what draws people to LCN specifically.

Years ago it was out of poverty, tradition and a desire to be part of something bigger than yourself.

Today it's David Chase and Martin Scorsese that draws people to the life tongue lol.

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: pizzaboy] #797248
08/21/14 06:52 AM
08/21/14 06:52 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Today it's ... Martin Scorsese that draws people to the life

HA!

Scorcese did the departed which was about the IRISH mafia!

I believe as they say in the classics.. Scorecheck, PB zero, Sonny, 1.

Whats that? Is that my Laurels be calling for a resting?
wink

(If it means anything PB, I think Im funny. wink )

Re: Organization or way of life [Re: Belette] #797258
08/21/14 07:22 AM
08/21/14 07:22 AM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
Sonny ya gotta be kidding, ever heard of goodfellas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull