GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (British, Thankyoukyle), 95 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,399
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,292
Posts1,058,082
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: pizzaboy] #792343
07/28/14 12:28 PM
LIVERPOOL UK
maddog Offline
Button
maddog  Offline
Button
LIVERPOOL UK
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
The only neighborhood I thought resembled the Italian neighborhood I've been to years ago was Arthur Ave in the Bronx. Little Italy NYC seemed to be filled with young ppl, but in the Bronx I got to see the old men hanging outside the market talking in Italian to the clam guy. That made me happy.

I think I already may have mentioned it to you. But I grew up on 187th and Hoffman, and I own a property there today. I've spent my entire life in and around that neighborhood, even after I moved out of it.

At the 2010 census the population in the 10458 zip code (Arthur Avenue/Botanical Garden/Bronx Zoo area) was less than 15 percent Italian. And even that's a stretch. Our Lady of Mount Carmel (made famous in "A Bronx Tale"), has Masses in Spanish every day. They're down to one Italian Mass per week. That's all you have to know.

The stores and restaurants will always be Italian (I hope so, anyway). But the third and fourth generation Italian Americans have almost all split for the burbs. Even the Albanians are starting to move out wink.

a few people told me that the albanians run the show around a lot of areas now like in europe

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Alfanosgirl] #792345
BennyB Offline
Made Member
BennyB  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
These guys have ulterior motives for their "good deeds". Gotti throwing those parties was all part of his act, and getting some of the neighborhood people onside really helped him in his strategic battle against the heat. None of the money that paid for all the booze, fireworks and food came out of his or Victoria's pocket anyway. It probably came from hard working people from other similar neighborhoods who were extorted by those bastards.

Yup all these nice gestures are always done with other peoples money that's a given. Gotti didn't just get "some" of the neighborhood people on his side, he got "almost all" of them. He was a "God" to those people. One thing about the wiseguys was they certainly took care of their neighborhoods. Old ladies felt safe walking down the street back then. Not like today. Those days are gone.

Selwyn Raab really nails Gotti's 2 sides in "Five Families." He writes how Gotti would throw parties for the neighborhood and was well loved by everyone, and then transcribes a phone call between him and an associate where he threatens to blow the guy's house up and kill him.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: maddog] #792347
07/28/14 12:29 PM
07/28/14 12:29 PM
BennyB Offline
Made Member
BennyB  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: maddog
a few people told me that the albanians run the show around a lot of areas now like in europe

They definitely run the restaurants...

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: BennyB] #792350
07/28/14 12:33 PM
07/28/14 12:33 PM
LIVERPOOL UK
maddog Offline
Button
maddog  Offline
Button
LIVERPOOL UK
Originally Posted By: BennyB

They definitely run the restaurants...

ha ha that a pretty big racket lol

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: maddog] #792358
07/28/14 12:41 PM
07/28/14 12:41 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
The only neighborhood I thought resembled the Italian neighborhood I've been to years ago was Arthur Ave in the Bronx. Little Italy NYC seemed to be filled with young ppl, but in the Bronx I got to see the old men hanging outside the market talking in Italian to the clam guy. That made me happy.

I think I already may have mentioned it to you. But I grew up on 187th and Hoffman, and I own a property there today. I've spent my entire life in and around that neighborhood, even after I moved out of it.

At the 2010 census the population in the 10458 zip code (Arthur Avenue/Botanical Garden/Bronx Zoo area) was less than 15 percent Italian. And even that's a stretch. Our Lady of Mount Carmel (made famous in "A Bronx Tale"), has Masses in Spanish every day. They're down to one Italian Mass per week. That's all you have to know.

The stores and restaurants will always be Italian (I hope so, anyway). But the third and fourth generation Italian Americans have almost all split for the burbs. Even the Albanians are starting to move out wink.

Lol maybe those old Italian men and the ppl I saw in the Bronx came there JUST FOR ME lol
Out here in California there are no real Italians unless they are transplants from the east coast

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Alfanosgirl] #792362
07/28/14 12:54 PM
07/28/14 12:54 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Lol maybe those old Italian men and the ppl I saw in the Bronx came there JUST FOR ME lol

All kidding aside, but you'd be shocked at how many Albanians pass themselves off as Italian. It's possible that you saw some of them. And don't feel bad, they fool me all the time. And like I said, I'm here all my life.

I posted about this fairly recently. But they're almost all from Montenegro, which is just on the other side of the Adriatic. They speak better Italian than anyone born here, and some of them even look Italian. When you throw in the fact that they settled in all of the Bronx neighborhoods that the Italians left behind, and that they own something like 75 percent of the pizzerias in New York City, it's actually very understandable.

They've done very well for themselves. It's estimated that Albanian Americans own over thirty percent of the apartment buildings here in the Bronx.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: pizzaboy] #792415
07/28/14 03:24 PM
07/28/14 03:24 PM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss

I posted about this fairly recently. But they're almost all from Montenegro, which is just on the other side of the Adriatic..

You should be happy with the ones from Montenegro. Over here we've got the Kosovo-variant of Albanians and some of them are batshit crazy if you don't know them lol

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #792418
07/28/14 03:37 PM
07/28/14 03:37 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Thanks pizzaboy for the kind words...I don't feel so dupid now.

Back to nice gestures from wiseguys-
The wiseguys were nice to my great grandpa.
They wanted to put a phone booth in his deli/restaurant but he told them NO cuz he had 4 daughters and didn't want "those type of men" congregating in his place making bets around his daughters. They respected his wishes and went to the next store.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #792419
07/28/14 03:38 PM
07/28/14 03:38 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Generally speaking Islamic Albanians are worse than christian ones.
Same with the Lebanese.

Read of that what you will.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #792422
07/28/14 03:45 PM
07/28/14 03:45 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
Same with the Lebanese.

Read what? It's the fucking truth lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #792424
07/28/14 03:50 PM
07/28/14 03:50 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Same with the Lebanese.

Every time I read or hear anything about Albanians all I can picture is wiseguys on one side n Albanians on the other in the middle of the day at a Jersey rest stop. I think it was the Gambino crew and the Albanians almost had a big blowout.
I can't remember where I read that but the Gambino's had a beef with them over territory and were trying to settle it. I don't know how true it is.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #792426
07/28/14 03:54 PM
07/28/14 03:54 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
There was a mafia hitman, that did kid parties dressed as a clown even into his old age, I forget the guys name or to which family he belonged to.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Alfanosgirl] #792428
07/28/14 03:57 PM
07/28/14 03:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Same with the Lebanese.

Every time I read or hear anything about Albanians all I can picture is wiseguys on one side n Albanians on the other in the middle of the day at a Jersey rest stop. I think it was the Gambino crew and the Albanians almost had a big blowout.
I can't remember where I read that but the Gambino's had a beef with them over territory and were trying to settle it. I don't know how true it is.

It was blown way out of proportion. That whole crew of Albanians fell apart with one indictment, which is very telling.

But for the most part, they get along pretty well with the Italians here. In the Bronx, anyway.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Alfanosgirl] #792430
07/28/14 04:03 PM
07/28/14 04:03 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Thanks pizzaboy for the kind words.

You're welcome, Chickie smile .

Things were different back then, Alfano. It can be said that some of the Italian American men of that generation turned to crime because doors were closed to them. And not to be an apologist, but it was true to a certain extent at that time. That's why they were more likely to look out for their neighbors back then. They were in crime out of necessity, not always by choice, so they were often kind to the people in the neighborhood. But anyone who uses that "doors are closed" excuse today is full of shit. If you join the mob today it's because you're criminal minded and lazy.

Italian Americans have produced more college graduates in this country than any other European immigrant group, save for the Jews. But keep in mind that the Jews came from more than one place (Poland, Russia, Hungary, etc.). So if you're born after, say, 1960, and you're still talking out of the side of your mouth, and saying thing like "I had no choice," and "they're only going after me because I'm Italian," you need to have your head examined.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #792431
07/28/14 04:05 PM
07/28/14 04:05 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
I imagine that the majority of those neighborhoods were a lot safer back in those days, pb. There's a lot to be said about the old guys from old school ways.

Last edited by Mark; 07/28/14 04:07 PM.
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #792433
07/28/14 04:15 PM
07/28/14 04:15 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Neighborhoods were a lot safer from outside interference, but were victimized to some degree from the local Italian gangsters, but not like it was when the 70's rolled around. A majority of those before the 1960's had a certain code of honor, that they left certain people alone who were actually helping out their nieghborhoods or other Italians in need. But a majority of shop owners in the Italian neighborhoods pay some sort of protection to the local crime group.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: pizzaboy] #792434
07/28/14 04:22 PM
07/28/14 04:22 PM
Yonkers, NY
Yonkers Offline
Button
Yonkers  Offline
Button
Yonkers, NY
Supposedly they buy a lot of the apartment buildings not a lot of people really want to deal with.(Albanians).

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #792435
07/28/14 04:23 PM
07/28/14 04:23 PM
D
dsbaloo Offline
Underboss
dsbaloo  Offline
D
Underboss
It was Squitieri and alex rudaj who had the beef and the meeting at the gas station in jersey

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #792436
07/28/14 04:29 PM
07/28/14 04:29 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
Neighborhoods were a lot safer from outside interference, but were victimized to some degree from the local Italian gangsters, but not like it was when the 70's rolled around. A majority of those before the 1960's had a certain code of honor, that they left certain people alone who were actually helping out their nieghborhoods or other Italians in need. But a majority of shop owners in the Italian neighborhoods pay some sort of protection to the local crime group.

Yeah, that's about it.

I have no illusions about these guys ever being Robin Hood. I grew up with with a front row seat to their bullshit, and little by little I saw every myth ever propagated about them being Robin Hood ripped apart.

But the older guys WERE different. And I don't necessarily mean the guys my father's age (he's in his 80's now). Because some of them were greedy pigs. I'm talking about the guys who would be a hundred today. These guys were old men when I was growing up, and I'm almost 55.

There was more of a duality to them. A lot of them ended up in the life by accident or by necessity. Most of the guys who I grew up with who ended up in the life lacked that duality. They became criminals not out of necessity, but by choice. Big difference.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Yonkers] #792437
07/28/14 04:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Yonkers
Supposedly they buy a lot of the apartment buildings not a lot of people really want to deal with.(Albanians).

True, but they still own 30 percent of the buildings in the Bronx. And if you break it down to the Pelham Parkway area, it's more like forty percent.

And I see that you're from Yonkers. They own a lot of the buildings that straddle Woodlawn, on the Bronx-Yonkers line. Still a very Irish neighborhood, but the apartment buidings around Katonah are partially owned by the Albanians.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: pizzaboy] #792438
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Thanks pizzaboy for the kind words.

You're welcome, Chickie smile .

Things were different back then, Alfano.

YUP, THOSE WERE THE DAYS OF LOYALTY, HONOR, AND RESPECT.

If you join the mob today it's because you're criminal minded and lazy.

TRUE THAT.

Italian Americans have produced more college graduates in this country than any other European immigrant group, save for the Jews. But keep in mind that the Jews came from more than one place (Poland, Russia, Hungary, etc.). So if you're born after, say, 1960, and you're still talking out of the side of your mouth, and saying thing like "I had no choice," and "they're only going after me because I'm Italian," you need to have your head examined.

Oh yea I didn't know that. The best thing for the wiseguys to do is KEEP THEIR SONS IN COLLEGE don't let them follow in their daddy's line of work.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #792439
07/28/14 04:35 PM
07/28/14 04:35 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
OOOOO I really botched that last reply up. I'm still learning my way around this site. oops

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Alfanosgirl] #792440
07/28/14 04:47 PM
07/28/14 04:47 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
OOOOO I really botched that last reply up. I'm still learning my way around this site. oops

That's okay. I was able to decipher it lol.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #792441
07/28/14 04:55 PM
07/28/14 04:55 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
K good

Last edited by Alfanosgirl; 07/28/14 08:19 PM.
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #794451
08/06/14 01:39 PM
08/06/14 01:39 PM
D
DoctorTwink Offline
Button
DoctorTwink  Offline
D
Button
Is this topic a joke? None of them were "nice" guys.

Sure a lot of them had families they were close to.

But that doesn't mean that they didn't separate their family life from their work life.

Even people who were involved in mafia activities such as bootlegging, illegal gambling/numbers games/betting, etc. were not always nice when they were at work or having to deal with people who they would see as customers at work who made them angry.

There were never days of "Loyalty, honor, respect, etc." they would kill each other or attempt to, rip each other off, break the rules or think the so called rules didn't apply to them, etc.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #794456
08/06/14 01:47 PM
08/06/14 01:47 PM
It's cold in the north
P
Primo Offline
Capo
Primo  Offline
P
Capo
It's cold in the north
Can you imagine if they had had snuggies before? I can just picture Galante curling up on home on the couch after a long day of peddling smack and just relaxing with some tv and pint of ice cream

I've walked along the red canal of mars
I've known kings and king makers
Poets painters and paupers
I've danced danced on the rings of Saturn
Still your pilgrim soul is the only thing that ever mattered
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: pizzaboy] #794464
08/06/14 02:49 PM
08/06/14 02:49 PM
Bugsyvegas1930 Offline
Made Member
Bugsyvegas1930  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: HuronSocialAthletic
Spilotro was killed because he gave the greenlight to kill people That weren't okayed by Aiuppa & they were also selling coke & heroin out There, as well as doing a bunch of other shit tax free & getting away with. Not to mention getting arrested right & left by local law out there.

So he killed people and sold dope, but he was a nice guy because he made his son heart healthy pancakes and went to little league games? (Okay, the pancakes and little league are from the movie lol).

Look, I firmly believe in the duality of man, and it applies to a lot of wiseguys in an almost disproportionate way. I've known a few of them who were genuinely benevolent given the right circumstances.

But when you live by the sword, it's quite possible that you'll die by the sword. And it seems to me that Spilotro ended up exactly where he belongs.

Good point. I knew a few as well who were more earners but if cornered, they wouldn't hesitate. I'm sure Tommy Gambino was overall a pretty nice, clean cut guy...but all he had to do was say the word.

Uncle Charlie once said; "Don't get into pissing matches with skunks."
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Crash] #794503
08/06/14 11:14 PM
08/06/14 11:14 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
W
Walkner Offline
Button
Walkner  Offline
W
Button
Phoenix, Arizona
Roy DeMeo was loved around his neighborhood. He would have insane firework shows on 4th of July, was quick to help/offer neighbors with yard work, etc. He even personally drove a neighborhood kid, who was hit by car, to the hospital. And according to his wife was "shaken" because the kid was his sons age. Even one of his neighborhood friends, helped Al get a job on Wall street out of friendship with Roy, when Al was all grown up.

Seemed like a real nice guy, outside of clipping a couple hundred people, and scamming countless others.

Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: Walkner] #794513
08/07/14 03:37 AM
08/07/14 03:37 AM
Bugsyvegas1930 Offline
Made Member
Bugsyvegas1930  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Walkner
Roy DeMeo was loved around his neighborhood. He would have insane firework shows on 4th of July, was quick to help/offer neighbors with yard work, etc. He even personally drove a neighborhood kid, who was hit by car, to the hospital. And according to his wife was "shaken" because the kid was his sons age. Even one of his neighborhood friends, helped Al get a job on Wall street out of friendship with Roy, when Al was all grown up.

Seemed like a real nice guy, outside of clipping a couple hundred people, and scamming countless others.

That's the definition of a sociopath.

Uncle Charlie once said; "Don't get into pissing matches with skunks."
Re: Mobsters that were very nice guys [Re: DoctorTwink] #794698
08/08/14 12:16 AM
08/08/14 12:16 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DoctorTwink
Is this topic a joke? None of them were "nice" guys.

Sure a lot of them had families they were close to.

But that doesn't mean that they didn't separate their family life from their work life.

Even people who were involved in mafia activities such as bootlegging, illegal gambling/numbers games/betting, etc. were not always nice when they were at work or having to deal with people who they would see as customers at work who made them angry.

There were never days of "Loyalty, honor, respect, etc." they would kill each other or attempt to, rip each other off, break the rules or think the so called rules didn't apply to them, etc.

i thought that you had to be a stone cold arch criminal to even join the mafia?

dishonest 24/7 but a nice guy....i don't know that's a tough one

in the history of the mafia i'm sure there were some nice guys but not mqny

Last edited by cookcounty; 08/08/14 12:18 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull