GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 77 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,189
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Bussetta] #980928
11/14/19 09:59 AM
11/14/19 09:59 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
The Last Woltz Offline
Underboss
The Last Woltz  Offline
Underboss
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally Posted by Bussetta

When Michael asks Tom to leave so he can speak to Johnny in private, when Tom leaves the room, the camera lingers on him for a pretty long time while you can still hear Michael and Johnny talk. Just thought that was an interesting shot.

Good catch! If I'm remembering this correctly, I think that shot is designed to show the ongoing dissatisfaction/humiliation of Tom as he is pushed out of certain aspects of the Family business.

During Roth's birthday scene on the roof, I'm not sure if I overthought this, but it seemed like Michael was absolutely trying to sour the mood. Roth is very friendly, making sure everyone sees the cake and makes a little quip about his birthday, and distributes his territory. Then Mike starts talking about the rebels. This is understandable, because of the Lake Tahoe hit, I just thought it was almost funny and that he was kind of trying to show him up in front of everybody. Bold move.

Michael rarely says anything without a purpose. He is absolutely trying to but a fly in Roth's ointment by bringing this up in front of everyone. I think that Michael knows that he or Roth will be dead within a few days and Michael is trying to do what he can to ruin Roth's investments just in case Roth survives and Michael doesn't.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"
Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: The Last Woltz] #980953
11/14/19 06:01 PM
11/14/19 06:01 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
At the opening of Roth's birthday cake scene, Michael's bodyguard looks up, looks annoyed, and takes off his hat to clean it--a bird must have shitted on it.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Turnbull] #980955
11/14/19 06:15 PM
11/14/19 06:15 PM
Michael_Giovanni Offline
Underboss
Michael_Giovanni  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Turnbull
At the opening of Roth's birthday cake scene, Michael's bodyguard looks up, looks annoyed, and takes off his hat to clean it--a bird must have shitted on it.

Olivant made a pretty compelling case for what actually happened in this scene on page 10 of this thread.

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: The Last Woltz] #980985
11/15/19 03:37 PM
11/15/19 03:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by The Last Woltz

When Michael asks Tom to leave so he can speak to Johnny in private, when Tom leaves the room, the camera lingers on him for a pretty long time while you can still hear Michael and Johnny talk. Just thought that was an interesting shot.

Good catch! If I'm remembering this correctly, I think that shot is designed to show the ongoing dissatisfaction/humiliation of Tom as he is pushed out of certain aspects of the Family business.

Just before that scene, Michael introduces Tom (although Ola already remembered him) as his lawyer and tells Ola that Tom only handles certain parts of the family business. Of course, that is in gigantic contrast with Tom's involvement in all Corleone business under Vito.

I've always maintained that Michael blamed Tom for much of the Corleone's misfortunes ("You're not a wartime Consigliere") One can go back even further to GFI: Michael to Kay: "He's a good lawyer. Not a Sicilian ..."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: olivant] #980988
11/15/19 04:02 PM
11/15/19 04:02 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
Originally Posted by olivant
One can go back even further to GFI: Michael to Kay: "He's a good lawyer. Not a Sicilian ..."

I recently noticed in the book. when they talk about maybe someone other than Michael taking out Sollozzo, they mention:

Sonny, but he has to run the Family;
Freddy, but he's in shock;
Tessio or Clemenza, but Sollozzo would be wise to them;
Some other button man, ditto;
Some young, tough kid, but that would be like calling a minor leaguer up to pitch in the Series;
So it has to be Michael.

Tom's in the middle of the conversation, he owes Vito more than anyone, but there's not even a word that he might do this.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Turnbull] #980993
11/15/19 05:17 PM
11/15/19 05:17 PM
Bussetta Offline
Wiseguy
Bussetta  Offline
Wiseguy

In II, when Michael and the other gringo businessmen are sitting around President Batista's table, we briefly see the Senate lawyer, Questadt, sitting directly behind Roth.

!!!!! Excellent catch.

This changes some things for me. Does Michael notice Questadt, and if he does, does he remember him during the hearings?

When Fredo tells Mike that Questadt belongs to Roth, Michael shows a little disgust then disowns him. I have always thought this was the last straw, and that Mike could have used this information much earlier—once Fredo tells him this, and Mike realizes this, then he truly understands how useless Fredo is and disowns him because this would have helped him.

BUT, if Questadt is in the Cuba meeting, and Michael does recognize him, then he already knows that he belongs to Roth—when Fredo tells him this information, is he dismissing Fredo's intel as old, useless knowledge that does him no good?

Or to put it simply—did Mike know that Questadt belonged to Roth before Fredo told him, so this info doesn't help him? Or does Fredo tell him when it's almost too late, and that's why he disowns him?

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: mustachepete] #981004
11/15/19 08:45 PM
11/15/19 08:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by mustachepete
One can go back even further to GFI: Michael to Kay: "He's a good lawyer. Not a Sicilian ..."

I recently noticed in the book. when they talk about maybe someone other than Michael taking out Sollozzo, they mention:

Sonny, but he has to run the Family;
Freddy, but he's in shock;
Tessio or Clemenza, but Sollozzo would be wise to them;
Some other button man, ditto;
Some young, tough kid, but that would be like calling a minor leaguer up to pitch in the Series;
So it has to be Michael.

Tom's in the middle of the conversation, he owes Vito more than anyone, but there's not even a word that he might do this.

As Sollozzo told Tom: "I know you're not in the muscle-end of the family ..." In any case, sending Tom would be "like calling a minor leaguer up to pitch in the Series;"

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Bussetta] #981015
11/15/19 11:04 PM
11/15/19 11:04 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

In II, when Michael and the other gringo businessmen are sitting around President Batista's table, we briefly see the Senate lawyer, Questadt, sitting directly behind Roth.

!!!!! Excellent catch.

This changes some things for me. Does Michael notice Questadt, and if he does, does he remember him during the hearings?

Thanks, but 'twasn't I who noticed Questadt in that scene, it was a sharp-eyed poster on this board at least 10 years ago. It set off a long discussion of some of the questions you raised. Some people speculated that Michael didn't notice Questadt at that meeting because, as we see in III, he had diabetes and had impaired vision. I thought that was a big stretch. Finally, another poster referred to an earlier script treatment in which Michael was supposed to have met Questadt in Havana for some purpose not revealed.

That explanation was credible: there were lots of scripts and revisions before FFC settled on the final cut. I'm guessing that Questadt was in that scene because of the earlier script treatment. Somewhere along the production line, FFC chose to abandon the idea of Michael meeting Questadt, but left him in that scene either because he didn't notice him, or because the Havana scenes (which were shot in the Dominican Republic) would be too costly to replicate if Questadt were edited out.

The boathouse confrontation with Fredo (one of the best in the Trilogy, IMO) had enormous drama. Michael was genuinely shocked when Tom told him Pentangeli was alive in the scene before. Another guess: Since Michael already knew Pentangeli had survived, FFC needed more drama for the Fredo confrontation scene, and gave him the line about Questadt belonging to Roth--it put the final nail into the coffin of Michael's relationship with his brother.

Last edited by Turnbull; 11/15/19 11:15 PM.

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: olivant] #981016
11/15/19 11:16 PM
11/15/19 11:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

As Sollozzo told Tom: "I know you're not in the muscle-end of the family ..." In any case, sending Tom would be "like calling a minor leaguer up to pitch in the Series;"

The novel says Tom said to Tess and Clem: "What about somebody really tough who hasn't made his rep yet, a good rookie?" Tessio smiled to take the sting out of his words and said, "That's like bringing a guy up from the minors to pitch in the World Series."

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Frankie_Five_Angels] #981471
11/23/19 10:16 PM
11/23/19 10:16 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
Kay when she phoned Michael to ask after Vito I love you, I love you, Tell me you love me even after Michael says I can't talk, Can't you say it?

Always demanding and whiny

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Evita] #981483
11/24/19 08:16 AM
11/24/19 08:16 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
Apollonia was also demanding and whiny Kept honing when Don Tommasino was informing Sonny's murder

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: don illuminati] #982322
12/08/19 09:50 AM
12/08/19 09:50 AM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Originally Posted by don illuminati
Don't forget that Tom was the one who Vito showed parental compassion to when Tom told Vito that sonny was dead.

I just watched the movie for the 800 billion and 53rd time last night. I notice that Tom seems to always be the one to give the bad news.

1) Senator Cauley not making it to the wedding
2) Luca Brasi wants to say thanks
3) Michael killed Sollozzo and had to leave America
4) Sonny got shot at the causeway
(and then later)
5) Kay "lost" the baby

Montauk

We might be able to tape the gun behind it.
Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Turnbull] #982325
12/08/19 10:07 AM
12/08/19 10:07 AM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Also notice that in the film and the novel, Tom never refers to Vito as "Pop," "Godfather" or "Don Corleone." In fact, he never uses any form of address.

Turnbull, you're a good man. But Tom does refer to Vito as Pop after they all leave his bedroom after telling him the heartbreaking news that Mike killed Sollozzo; Sonny's wants to go after that pimp Tattaglia and Tom counters with "let the smoke clear, Pop can negotiate."

Montauk

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Montauk] #982335
12/08/19 01:42 PM
12/08/19 01:42 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Montauk
Also notice that in the film and the novel, Tom never refers to Vito as "Pop," "Godfather" or "Don Corleone." In fact, he never uses any form of address.

Turnbull, you're a good man. But Tom does refer to Vito as Pop after they all leave his bedroom after telling him the heartbreaking news that Mike killed Sollozzo; Sonny's wants to go after that pimp Tattaglia and Tom counters with "let the smoke clear, Pop can negotiate."

So he did--excellent catch, Montauk! clap
The novel says that Vito told Tom never to forget his own father, even though Tom's father was an alcoholic and left him wandering the streets. Perhaps that's why Tom never called Vito "Pop" to his face.

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Montauk] #982336
12/08/19 01:47 PM
12/08/19 01:47 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by Montauk

Also note that Tom tells Sonny to make the deal "if your father dies" followed by Sonny's exclamation "he's not your father." Tom does refer to Vito as the old man and to Woltz Tom refers to Vito as Mr. Corleone.

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: olivant] #982345
12/08/19 07:30 PM
12/08/19 07:30 PM
M
mobcleve Offline
Wiseguy
mobcleve  Offline
M
Wiseguy
That “Lou the Driver” in GFI looks exactly like Questadt, Senate Lawyer in GFII. Were they played by the same actor?

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Frankie_Five_Angels] #982843
12/15/19 03:19 PM
12/15/19 03:19 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
More bad new delivered by Tom:
When he calls Bonasera.
In the book, Bonasera goes through some hilarious mental gyrations speculating on the nature of the service he will be asked to perform.

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Lou_Para] #982844
12/15/19 03:49 PM
12/15/19 03:49 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
When he calls Bonasera.
In the book, Bonasera goes through some hilarious mental gyrations speculating on the nature of the service he will be asked to perform.

In a deleted scene, after that phone call, Bonasera says to his wife, "Do you know what they have-a done now? They have-a killed someone so important that they need him to be buried by an undertaker. I curse-a the day that you and Carmella Corleone became friends."

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Turnbull] #982845
12/15/19 04:20 PM
12/15/19 04:20 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted by Lou_Para
When he calls Bonasera.

In a deleted scene, after that phone call, Bonasera says to his wife, "Do you know what they have-a done now? They have-a killed someone so important that they need him to be buried by an undertaker. I curse-a the day that you and Carmella Corleone became friends."

It was Bonasera who cremated Hoffa. It's about as plausible as Sheeran's guy. So why not?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: pizzaboy] #982848
12/15/19 05:51 PM
12/15/19 05:51 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted by pizzaboy
]
It was Bonasera who cremated Hoffa.

Yes. Hoffa tried to get his hearse drivers to join the Teamsters.
wink

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Turnbull] #982849
12/15/19 05:52 PM
12/15/19 05:52 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted by pizzaboy
]
It was Bonasera who cremated Hoffa.

Yes. Hoffa tried to get his hearse drivers to join the Teamsters.
wink

I was one of them and you know it lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: pizzaboy] #982859
12/15/19 09:55 PM
12/15/19 09:55 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I do. IJM

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Frankie_Five_Angels] #984402
01/10/20 04:06 PM
01/10/20 04:06 PM
Bussetta Offline
Wiseguy
Bussetta  Offline
Wiseguy
Not sure where else to put this question, but I've always wondered:

In GFII, when Merle asks if he could have a drink, what does Michael say to him?

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Bussetta] #984406
01/10/20 05:02 PM
01/10/20 05:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Not sure where else to put this question, but I've always wondered:

In GFII, when Merle asks if he could have a drink, what does Michael say to him?

It sounds like he says Che vuoi. It means what do you want. Actually, he says it to Connie, not Merle.

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: olivant] #984687
01/15/20 11:15 PM
01/15/20 11:15 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
It sounded like something sarcastic oh boy! You shouldn't even be here and now you want a drink

If Michael was offering him, his drink of choice, why did Connie yell to Neri to get him a drink

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Evita] #984689
01/16/20 01:44 AM
01/16/20 01:44 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Michael ignored Merle.

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Evita] #984704
01/16/20 12:30 PM
01/16/20 12:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted by Evita
It sounded like something sarcastic oh boy! You shouldn't even be here and now you want a drink

If Michael was offering him, his drink of choice, why did Connie yell to Neri to get him a drink

Exactly TB. As I posted above, Che vuoi was directed at Connie, not Merle. If he were directing his question at Merle, he would have said Che voule.

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Turnbull] #984740
01/16/20 11:36 PM
01/16/20 11:36 PM
E
Evita Offline
Underboss
Evita  Offline
E
Underboss
So Michael's what do you want? was not answering Merle asking if he could have a drink but it was what did Connie want from him

No wonder he never got his drink!

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Evita] #984761
01/17/20 06:03 AM
01/17/20 06:03 AM
C
Capri Offline
Capo
Capri  Offline
C
Capo
audacity of him Michael pay for their cruise too

Re: Did anyone else notice that ....... [Re: Turnbull] #984774
01/17/20 10:27 AM
01/17/20 10:27 AM
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Montauk Offline
Made Member
Montauk  Offline
Made Member
Carmine Cuneo's Turf
Also, remember when he breaks the sad news after Vito says, "My wife is crying upstairs." Tom replies with, "I didn't tell Mama anything."

Oh but HERE'S a "did anyone notice" that I just picked up on.

During the Five Families meeting, keep your eyes on Tom. It's interesting his reactions, esp. as he's coldly staring down that pimp Tattaglia. At this point, he's under the impression that he's looking a the man behind the murder of his brother Sonny. Also, when Barzini sez "Then we're agreed..." He seems a little taken aback by it, while some have said this, for Vito, was the tipoff that Barzini was the culprit. The acting by everyone in that scene was golden.

Montauk

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull