GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Jimmy_Two_Times, 1 invisible), 136 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,356
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,218
Posts1,056,200
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
gangster disciples running identity theft scam #782092
06/05/14 03:36 AM
06/05/14 03:36 AM
S
Scorsese Offline OP
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline OP
S
Underboss
Cartersville Police Warn of Identity Theft Scam
Two instances of identity theft cases that Cartersville police believe is a scam that originates with the "Gangster Disciples" have occurred in the city.

Posted by Kristal Dixon (Editor) , June 04, 2014 at 01:17 PM

A form of identity theft the Cartersville Police Department said has been occurring across the country has made an appearance in its jurisdiction.

The agency notes an identity theft scam that originates with the "Gangster Disciples" gang has occurred twice in the city of Cartersville.

The scam, according to the agency, is as follows:

A person comes up to you and says that if you give them your ATM Card and PIN, they will go withdraw a certain amount of money. They tell you to report the loss of your information to the bank and police after the withdrawal. In exchange, they offer to give you a cut of the withdrawal and say that the bank will refund all of the withdrawal once you report it.

"The obvious issue is that you become party to the crimes of fraud, theft by receiving and conspiracy," the agency said.

The Gangster Disciples is a Chicago-based organization known for its distribution of narcotics and engagement in white collar crimes, according to the Washington/Baltimore High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, a project backed by the Bureau of Justice Assistance that tracks gang activity.

If you are approached by anyone ask you to engage to a scam like the one described above, Cartersville police ask that you obtain a good description of the suspect and, if possible, a tag number of their vehicle and immediately call 911.

“Identity theft is a serious reality in our world today," said Police Chief Thomas Culpepper. "Unless you personally make a purchase or payment with a debit or credit card, do not give your information to anyone else.”

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782101
06/05/14 05:08 AM
06/05/14 05:08 AM
P
PKDickman Offline
Button
PKDickman  Offline
P
Button
Let me get this straight.
In Cartersville GA, (pop <20,000) a couple of rubes get taken by con men with a variation of the pigeon drop.

The local police chief attributes this the Black Gangster Disciples.

Is he up for election?

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: PKDickman] #782106
06/05/14 06:28 AM
06/05/14 06:28 AM
S
Scorsese Offline OP
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline OP
S
Underboss
it is kind of a weird story. people just give their details and cards to strangers.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782122
06/05/14 08:39 AM
06/05/14 08:39 AM
P
PKDickman Offline
Button
PKDickman  Offline
P
Button
Originally Posted By: Scorsese
it is kind of a weird story. people just give their details and cards to strangers.

That's the way the pigeon drop works.

You convince people to front up money to get a bigger score.

This version seems to need a complete moron for a mark.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782203
06/05/14 02:01 PM
06/05/14 02:01 PM
M
mldetroit Offline
Made Member
mldetroit  Offline
M
Made Member
I don't think it's the same as the pigeon drop. According to the article the "mark" actually makes a little money from the ATM withdrawal and will recoup all funds from their bank. They simply become part of a fraud - which they may or may not get away with.

The pigeon drop is a complete loss for the mark.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782230
06/05/14 03:55 PM
06/05/14 03:55 PM
P
PKDickman Offline
Button
PKDickman  Offline
P
Button
The mark does lose.
You cannot dispute atm charges like credit card charges. Your liability can be limited if the card is promptly reported lost or stolen, but since the real prize is not the amount withdrawn but the acct. number and pin to victims bank account, I suspect the con man suggests that they dispute the charge on the next statement.

The money they give back to the mark is his own.
It seems like money, but it is really the bundle of newspaper wrapped in a handkerchief.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: PKDickman] #782276
06/05/14 07:41 PM
06/05/14 07:41 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
A lot hustles goes on small cities whistle
And GDs are in Georgia , matter of fact the whole south.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: BlackFamily] #782296
06/06/14 05:09 AM
06/06/14 05:09 AM
P
PKDickman Offline
Button
PKDickman  Offline
P
Button
Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
A lot hustles goes on small cities whistle
And GDs are in Georgia , matter of fact the whole south.

It is not the notion that Professor Harold Hill has come to River City, nor the fact that street gangs are selling crack in Georgia, that I find incredulous.

It is the fact that the local PD came to the conclusion that GD (who's primary business is drug dealing and shooting each other over drug corners) would be behind some street level hustle to separate a couple of yokels from their seed money.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: PKDickman] #782377
06/06/14 11:47 AM
06/06/14 11:47 AM
S
Scorsese Offline OP
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline OP
S
Underboss
this explains the scam a bit more.

Police warn of identity theft scam involving bank cards; 2 victims reported in Cartersville

(AP photo)
Floyd - rome Piggly Wiggly Lindale - Rome
Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014 2:00 am | Updated: 7:33 am, Fri Jun 6, 2014.
cgrindrod
Posted on Jun 6, 2014by Carolyn Grindrod
Two recent reports of identify theft were actually elaborate tricks aimed at swindling money from banks, Cartersville authorities said Wednesday.
“The banks are the ones getting scammed,” said Capt. Mark Camp, public affairs officer with Carters ville police.
Investigators are now working to identify all parties — who they say could be linked to a notorious street and jailhouse gang, “the Gangster Disciples” — who were involved in the local banking scam.
Camp said in the past few months his department has had two individuals file false claims that their wallet or debit card information was stolen.
These “victims” report that money was taken from their accounts and attempt to work with the banks get that money reimbursed.
“They called the banks and say ‘Hey, I lost my card,’ or ‘my wallet was stolen,’” said Camp. “The bank freezes everything but won’t refund any of the money that went ‘missing’ without a police report, so they file a police report.”
Camp said Cartersville police investigators worked with the banks to determine that the two stolen money reports were false.
“I’d say about 99 percent of the time, these kind of fraud claims turn out to be true,” he added. “However, in these two cases the banks figured out that something else had to be going on, and when investigators conducted interviews with the complainants they realized that something wasn’t adding up in their stories.”
Camp said police believe the complainants gave their banking information to a scam artist who offered to give them a share of the money that was withdrawn.
Investigators also noticed that similar crimes have been reported around the nation and linked to the “Gangster Disciples,” he said.
“We’re talking about millions of dollars that have been reported swindled in these type of crimes,” he added.
These kinds of crimes, Camp added, could bring major penalties for not only the perpetrators, but the account-holders as well.
“These individuals could be facing some serious charges,” he said. “These are all acts of theft, fraud and conspiracy to commit a crime, which is a felony. In addition, they are filing fraudulent reports, so they could be charged with making false statements.”

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: PKDickman] #782412
06/06/14 02:04 PM
06/06/14 02:04 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
"It is the fact that the local PD came to the conclusion that GD (who's primary business is drug dealing and shooting each other over drug corners) would be behind some street level hustle"

Their major income is from drug trafficking but it isn't their primary activity. GDs are involved in a range of activities from extortion, gambling, prostitution, and white collar frauds. The Chicago GDs have renegades crew warring each other, but and the other 33 states it's All Is One in different cities. They still have meetings and social events, ex: In Hattiesburg there was a B.O.S weekend some weeks ago. Therefore these local police aren't wrong if they did the investigation.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782419
06/06/14 02:40 PM
06/06/14 02:40 PM
P
paprincess Offline
Capo
paprincess  Offline
P
Capo
ha ha... a couple of the black bitches I used to work with back in the day used to love to try and pull this stunt... they eventually got caught... which is prob why they were the bitches putting away the clothes and I was the cashier... then three weeks later their entire crew would get busted for trying to steal clothes from the shop too... dumb hoes... didn't they know I didn't HAVE TO rat... there were cameras in the store everywhere. oh yeah they used to try and peak in my purse which the managers made us carry that were clear to try and get at my social security number... I used to laugh at them because I would keep most of the numbers blacked out in my little notebook of my vital info... stealing is a lot of work people!!

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782421
06/06/14 02:44 PM
06/06/14 02:44 PM
P
paprincess Offline
Capo
paprincess  Offline
P
Capo
I guess 40 percent discount wasn't enough for them... bitch please!!! 30 cents for a thong ain't THAT expensive...

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: PKDickman] #782449
06/06/14 06:44 PM
06/06/14 06:44 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: PKDickman

It is not the notion that Professor Harold Hill has come to River City, that I find incredulous.

good one, took me a second to get it

As far as this scam, whoever is behind it..I'd have to assume that they are sending attractive women to scam the marks.

Also, unless things are done differently in that town...I'd have to assume that there is video footage of people taking cash from ATM machines at specific times using specific cards (as most bank atms have cameras.)

Think the link to the GDs is bogus and is being used by the Police Dept. for either political reasons or to get access to city/state/federal funds allocated for fighting gangs.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: getthesenets] #782461
06/06/14 08:05 PM
06/06/14 08:05 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
I don't think there's a political reason nor as for funding to fight gangs. Generally when gang violence escalates or when the public gets antsy about blatant gang crimes is when they start reaching out for funding. Again , it's not that unrealistic for this scam to be link to the GDs.

- African Proverb
Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782462
06/06/14 08:07 PM
06/06/14 08:07 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
@ paprincess ,

I don't understand how that correlates to the topic .

- African Proverb
Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782468
06/06/14 08:59 PM
06/06/14 08:59 PM
P
paprincess Offline
Capo
paprincess  Offline
P
Capo
Black Family... basically I was trying to say there were girls at my old work that used to knowingly cash bad checks and take a cut of the money... they eventually ended up getting caught because sooner or later a bank teller or someone would figure out what was going on... those same girls also would knowingly steal from our store and they eventually got caught there. some people just have like a desire or love to run scams...they also like to brag about it.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: BlackFamily] #782542
06/07/14 08:43 AM
06/07/14 08:43 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
@BF

I didn't say it was unrealistic as criminal organizations will always expand into more lucrative or less risky ways of making money.

This hustle isn't specific to the GDs though, and unless there is an article about this being their M.O. or several GDs in Chicago already in jail for this type of crime..I'm gonna have to call BS on the cop using their name this time.

You've posted articles and threads about Nigerians being caught in sting for crimes similar to this one. 419 scams and those types of scams could be linked to Nigerian syndicates and individuals because there's evidence and arrests of people from that background doing those types of crimes.

GDs may do these types of scams, but without at least a few arrests in his town linked to them for this type of crime...he is reaching.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: getthesenets] #782588
06/07/14 12:39 PM
06/07/14 12:39 PM
P
PKDickman Offline
Button
PKDickman  Offline
P
Button
mldetroit, You're right, it's not the pigeon drop.

But the subsequent description, makes me think it is it is even less likely that it was the act of any organized group.

It is a very short con with a high risk to reward ratio.

First the risk.
Grifter comes to town, takes the lay of the land, finds out where likely marks hang out.
Of the marks he meets, two out of three will be unsuitable, no money, no bank card, or they tell the guy to FOAD right off the bat.
Of each that fill his need, he will have to gain his confidence, cut him out of the herd and broach the subject of bank fraud.
Of these guys, two out of three will be too smart or too honest to go along.

To find the two marks in this town, the grifter has chatted up 18 people, and explained the crime to six of them.
This could take all day.

That is a lot of people who've seen your face. The only way to reduce your risk is to be across the county line by morning.

Now the reward.
Since the mark is instructed to report a theft right away, the prize is limited to the one withdrawal, minus the marks cut.
The best the grifter can count on is the standard $500 daily withdrawal limit. I would guess the mark wouldn't do this for any less than half.

Go our con-man worked all day, and came away with $500. By the time you add in expenses, (gas, meals, motel, drinks to ply the mark) he's probably clearing less than $400 a day.

That's might be enough for some jamoke working his way to Fresno, but not if there are a lot of mouths to feed.

This only makes sense as an organized effort if the 99% of the cases that the cops thought were legit, were actually part of this scam.

I think it much more likely that these two nitwits got bilked by some hooker (who may or may not be associated with the GD), and this mysterious stranger story is the best thing they could come up with to keep their wives from finding out.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: PKDickman] #782592
06/07/14 01:21 PM
06/07/14 01:21 PM
S
Scorsese Offline OP
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline OP
S
Underboss
the only things you'll get if you type in gangster disciples and fraud together on google besides this story is mortgage fraud and check fraud cases, nothing else about this kind of scam.

But it does seem that a lot of different little police departments are claiming that they have gangs now from ny, chicago or LA.

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782601
06/07/14 02:14 PM
06/07/14 02:14 PM
P
paprincess Offline
Capo
paprincess  Offline
P
Capo
jamoke???? lmao....

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: getthesenets] #782627
06/07/14 07:22 PM
06/07/14 07:22 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
@ Gets
I understand your point now. Only time will tell when they capture the culprit and if they are members of the GDs. But I do have an article on their identity scam.

@ Scorsese

The latest FBI report on gang threat reveal that gangs expansion have increase the most in the small cities and suburbs.

Here's the article :

A Fort Hood Criminal Investigation Division special agent testified Friday that he believes a 29-year-old Fort Hood soldier is the leader of a criminal street gang in Killeen.

The soldier, Sgt. Jerome A. Smith, is on trial in Judge Martha Trudos 264th District Court and charged with aggravated robbery and being a member of a criminal street gang.

Smith is charged with the Nov. 7, 2003, armed robbery at the home of a Harker Heights man and the Nov. 9, 2003, charge of armed robbery of the Wolaes Convenience Store in Killeen.

Smith is also accused of being the leader of a criminal street gang in Killeen known as the Gangster Disciples, a national gang based out of Chicago.

Special agent Christopher Schrock took the stand Friday and gave testimony concerning his investigation into the Gangster Disciples.

Smith is the leader of the gang, Schrock testified.

Schrocks investigation started in December 2003, when he brought Pvt. Brandon Reed into his office to talk about his possible involvement in identity theft. At the time, Reed was a member of the Gangster Disciples, and he has since provided testimony against Sgt. Smith.

Schrock said Reed started talking about the Gangster Disciples (GD) and providing information about gang activity.

Reed didnt volunteer much at first, but if the right questions were asked, Reed provided the answers, Schrock said.

Schrock testified that with each meeting he had with Reed, more and more information emerged about the GD activities in the area.

Reed gave information about identity theft, credit card fraud, drug selling and eventually about the two robberies. All were associated with the GD, Schrock said.

Schrock said he then contacted Detective Robin Rubidoux with the Killeen Police Department. A task force was developed with other government agencies the Drug Enforcement Agency, the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Schrock said they were able to identify 165 folks who were associated with gang activity. Of that number, 40 percent were active-duty military personnel at Fort Hood.

CID began coordinating with the U.S. Attorneys office, and it was decided to screen things locally. Certain cases concerning racketeering and money laundering are ongoing with the U.S. Attorneys office. Several other cases were run through the Bell County District Attorneys office, Schrock said.

As a result of these investigations, the CID office on Fort Hood began to be watched by GD members.

We received information that countersurveillance was going on outside the CID office, Schrock said.

Schrock testified that he had discovered Latoya Arnold, a GD member, sitting outside the building watching and taking notes on who entered.

In response to this countersurveillance, Schrock said his office locked down files and limited distribution. He said the major concern was that this activity by the GD would hinder witnesses. They were trying to get as much information as possible in a certain time frame.

Schrock said Reed became more and more concerned about repercussions from the gang. On Jan. 22, 2004, a call came from police at Killeen Mall saying that an attempt had been made on Reeds life and that Reed was on his way back to post.

Reed testified on Tuesday that after the incident at the mall while he on his way back to Fort Hood, several cars pulled up alongside him, boxing him in. In one vehicle was Smith, who was looking at him and pointing a gun.

Reed saw a state trooper on the side of the road and pulled up in front of her. Smith and the others kept driving.

Schrock said that because of this incident, Reed was put into a jail cell for protective custody. They believed the barracks were not a secure location. Schrocks office had a list of names of military members who were GD members, and many of them were in Reeds unit.

Reed was then discharged from the Army because he feared for his life. He was given a general discharge with honorable conditions. Reed was put on a bus directly from his jail cell with only the clothes on his back and sent to an undisclosed location, Schrock said.

Reed returned to Fort Hood a week later and gave his final statement. Schrock said his office decided to videotape Reeds statement because there were concerns about Reed being alive for the trial.

Schrock said that Reed provided information that authorities were able to substantiate; therefore, he became a credible witness.

Schrock testified that Reed didnt care about being charged; he cared about breathing the next day.

The government did not have probable cause to arrest Smith for solicitation of Reeds murder, Schrock said.

Reed has pleaded guilty to the Nov. 7 and 9, 2003, charge of aggravated robbery and being a member of a criminal street gang.

Reed testified Tuesday that Smith ordered him to perform those robberies. Reed and several other gang members this week testified that Smith is the GD leader.

Smith is still a soldier in the military. The only thing keeping him in the Army is being flagged, Schrock said. Being flagged means that he is part of an ongoing investigation, he explained.

Smith has been in the military since 1993. During his career, he has been involved in several incidents that have gone onto his military record, though he has never been convicted.

Schrock said Smith was arrested for a malicious wounding in Virginia. The case was turned over to the military, and he was given a summary court-martial. Also on his record are charges of unlawful carrying of a weapon, drunken disorderly, failure to obey a lawful order from a noncommissioned officer and indecent assault.

Not the mark of an exemplary soldier, Schrock said.

Regardless of whether he is convicted of the Nov. 7 and 9, 2003, robberies, Smith probably will be discharged from the Army, Schrock said.

Many Gangster Disciples have been removed from the military as a result of the ongoing investigation, Schrock

- African Proverb
Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #782724
06/08/14 01:08 PM
06/08/14 01:08 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
@paprincess

something tells me that you've had jungle fever before

@thread topic

these cats probably weren't gd's and even if they were it's not a gd operation

just some idiots with a quick scam

Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: Scorsese] #786120
06/26/14 02:52 PM
06/26/14 02:52 PM
P
paprincess Offline
Capo
paprincess  Offline
P
Capo
lmao!!!!! I thought everyone's had jungle fever before... I love the ****... xxoo

Last edited by SC; 06/26/14 04:24 PM. Reason: remove racial slur
Re: gangster disciples running identity theft scam [Re: paprincess] #786130
06/26/14 04:26 PM
06/26/14 04:26 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: paprincess
lmao!!!!! I thought everyone's had jungle fever before... I love the ****... xxoo

paprincess has a learning disability and doesn't understand (or refuses to follow) the board's rules of conduct especially pertaining to racial and ethnic slurs.

Goodbye.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull