GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 95 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,399
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,794
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,294
Posts1,058,093
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #774880
04/30/14 07:39 AM
04/30/14 07:39 AM
C
cornuto_e_contento Offline
Capo
cornuto_e_contento  Offline
C
Capo
The majority of black African slaves wound up in Brasil, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic/Haiti, Colombia, and Cuba.

The majority of Mexicans do not have black African heritage; but some do in some areas. A lot of Mexicans and people from central and South America are of Indigenous and Spanish descent, or Spanish and descendant from other European countries. The Spanish and Portuguese who are of Moorish descent are Caucasians as the Berbers and moors from North Africa are Caucasian.

Yes there are different terms used in Latin American countries for someone's heritage.

Last edited by cornuto_e_contento; 04/30/14 07:42 AM.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: bigboy] #774883
04/30/14 07:59 AM
04/30/14 07:59 AM
C
Capo
C
Capo
Originally Posted By: bigboy
African invaders

My nephew is 100% Sicilian and has blond hair and bule eyes, His father had dark skin and black hair.

This sounds like the whole "one drop" racist racial-purity BS with regards to Italian heritage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

All that means is that he took after his mother or there was a recessive gene in his past for fair complexion and blue eyes, and that he possibly has French or Norman heritage and not Italian, Iberian, or Greek heritage.

Why do some people insist Sicilians are part black or are black-African descent?

It seems to me like this this is quite a phenomena amongst Afrocentric and some Noridicist circles. Both insist a lot of "Sicilian"features such as curly hair, a darker pigmentation, and oddly once a more convex nose is solely attributable to Sub Saharan admixture. Whereas, genetics disprove this argument by showing that depending on which part of the Island one is from Sicilians are an amalgam of Phoenician, Italic, Iberian, Norman, and a significant amongst of Neolithic West Asian. And yet this racist myth that Sicilians are "black" or "African" is still perpetuated both among mainland Italians and an American myth created by the media and during slavery/segregationist times in the United States.

Stupidity, that's why.

Sicilians are mostly ancient Greek, genetically. Anything else (Phoenician, Norman, Iberian, and Moorish) is common more or less in one area or another in smaller amounts, and sub-saharan-African is almost nonexistent.

It's surprising to a lot of Americans but in Mexico there are a lot of people who have a light complexion, blue eyes, and blond hair. Also many Americans are surprised that people from Spain look nothing like people from Mexico and Latin American countries.

Last edited by cornuto_e_contento; 04/30/14 08:13 AM.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: cornuto_e_contento] #774950
04/30/14 02:29 PM
04/30/14 02:29 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: cornuto_e_contento
The majority of black African slaves wound up in Brasil, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic/Haiti, Colombia, and Cuba.

The majority of Mexicans do not have black African heritage; but some do in some areas. A lot of Mexicans and people from central and South America are of Indigenous and Spanish descent, or Spanish and descendant from other European countries. The Spanish and Portuguese who are of Moorish descent are Caucasians as the Berbers and moors from North Africa are Caucasian.

Yes there are different terms used in Latin American countries for someone's heritage.

Listen..are we going to discuss issues or am I going to have to read freshly googled information whenever you respond?

Again, in this hemisphere...the English, Dutch, French, Spanish and Portuguese were the colonial powers.

over 90% of the enslaved Africans during the transatlantic slave trade ended up in Spanish or Portuguese claimed territories. Brasil is often classified as a latin american country.

There are descendants of the enslaved Africans in EVERY country in Latin America with some countries clearly having higher concentrations of Negro blood in the gene pool.

Your defensiveness about things that are facts highlight the residual effect of the casta system and it's prejudice.

The social system in Spain, if I had to bet money, probably places a premium on those Spaniards who do NOT have Moorish blood/heritage...so I doubt that the social hierarchy doesn't see a difference between pure Spaniard and in your words,descendants of moorish caucasians.

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #774957
04/30/14 04:19 PM
04/30/14 04:19 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
By American standards (and by most European/North African standards as well I would guess) these people are "Black". They are also indigenous North Africans (Berber/Tuareg/Sahrawis). Black/White is a social category much more than a biological one. Not every Berber or North African is Caucasian. Some ethnic/linguistic/religious/national groups do not precisely match up with "race".

Tinariwen (Tuareg musicians from Mali)

Doueh (Sahrawi musician from Western Sahara)

Mahmoud Guinia (Gnawa musician from Morocco)

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Lilo] #774958
04/30/14 04:22 PM
04/30/14 04:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Not every Berber or North African is Caucasian.

That Canadian kid Justin Berber is White. I don't care what you say whistle.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: pizzaboy] #774960
04/30/14 04:28 PM
04/30/14 04:28 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I thought he got deported.. smile

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Lilo] #774961
04/30/14 04:30 PM
04/30/14 04:30 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

I thought he got deported.. smile

Can you imagine bothering the President of the United States with this shit? lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #775094
05/01/14 11:36 AM
05/01/14 11:36 AM
C
Capo
C
Capo
@Lilo and GetThesenets:I don't care what the American public thinks about race. Many Americans are surprised to learn that people from Afghanistan are not Arabic but are Caucasian. That Spanish people from Spain look completely different than people in Latin America do, and that yes you can be African and Caucasian. But then again the American public thinks that Sicilian people are "black" or part "African", and that if you are from Mexico you're of Native Mexican Indian descent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_people

100's of years ago people cared if someone was of Moorish descent in Spain but it's not like that now. Even in Mexico someone's ancestors do not matter as someone's social class has everything to do with how much money they have or appear to have.

In regards to Spain, there are some Spanish people who still think that Castilian Spanish is the only correct way to speak and pronounce Spanish and that Spanish that is used in the rest of the world is not really Spanish or it's incorrect; but they did not like the dialects of Catalan people, Galician people, or Basque people in Spain either. Not that many Spanish people today think this and if they still do they are in the vast minority; but when I was growing up decades ago you still did have Spanish people who thought this about Castilian Spanish but this was when Franco was still in power in Spain.

Last edited by cornuto_e_contento; 05/01/14 12:51 PM.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: cornuto_e_contento] #775107
05/01/14 12:23 PM
05/01/14 12:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Even in Mexico someone's ancestors do not matter as someone's social class has everything to do with how much money they have or appear to have.

Yeah, money talks and bullshit walks wink .

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: cornuto_e_contento] #775144
05/01/14 03:08 PM
05/01/14 03:08 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss

100's of years ago people cared if someone was of Moorish descent in Spain but it's not like that now. Even in Mexico someone's ancestors do not matter as someone's social class has everything to do with how much money they have or appear to have.

Masculine , beloved national hero of DR, filthy rich..and....

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: getthesenets] #775145
05/01/14 03:17 PM
05/01/14 03:17 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: getthesenets

........ Self-hating.

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: getthesenets] #775165
05/01/14 05:27 PM
05/01/14 05:27 PM
C
Capo
C
Capo

He's Dominican. Not Spanish or Mexican. Either way he is an adult it's his body and appearance, and he can do whatever he wants.

It's like how Mike Tyson now has a tribal face tattoo, or how Michael Jackson bleached his skin and had tons of plastic surgery done. I personally do not want to do this (get any type of plastic/cosmetic surgery or tattoos) but it's their appearance or body, and it was their choice to do this.

These people are all examples of people who have so much money they do not know what to do with it so they spend it on cosmetic surgery, tattoos, etc.

Last edited by cornuto_e_contento; 05/02/14 10:07 AM.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #775210
05/02/14 05:29 AM
05/02/14 05:29 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
My Great Aunt was Sicilian and she was dark, she came over around 1905ish time frame.

I've noticed here in the South the whites seem to be darker than up North. I guess maybe it was from the farming culture here where everyone was always outside compared to factory workers up North??

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: dixiemafia] #775329
05/02/14 02:01 PM
05/02/14 02:01 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: dixiemafia
I've noticed here in the South the whites seem to be darker than up North. I guess maybe it was from the farming culture here where everyone was always outside compared to factory workers up North??

Farmer tans dont count, Gomer tongue grin..

Relax, Dix. You know I love ya lol.

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: pizzaboy] #775340
05/02/14 03:34 PM
05/02/14 03:34 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss

........ Self-hating.

true but I was going to write...a product of his environment and era in which he lived

Hear me out...because on surface level(pun) it may sound like I'm making excuses for a grown man.

With your username,Piazza, I take it that you are a baseball fan and have seen several Dominican baseball players.

What if I told you that LEGALLY during an era of the 20th century that there were NO Black Dominicans? No ,your eyes weren't playing tricks on you....Big Papi ,Vlad Guerrero, Rafeal Soriano...or even Rafeal Santana from that magical Mets team do look like what you think they look like but.......

The govt. of DR legally had NO Black Dominicans. There were national ID cards issued for citizens. and the 3 racial categories were white, meztizo and indio or indian.

Schools taught that the darker Dominicans were descended from the indigenous natives of the island.

Africans were erased from the history and racial categorization of the state.

If I'm not mistaken, Sosa was born under this state sponsored nonsense.

The nonsense thought and TAUGHT about race ,skin color and hair texture in Latin America is a result of the casta system put in place hundreds of years ago in Spanish colonies. Closer to white..the higher you are social ladder. Black is at the bottom and there are gradations of status/stature based on heritage and phenotype.

Cornuto trying to imply that the Moors were not Black or even dark, Sosa bleaching his skin to fit into old money D.R. society, and hundreds of examples I've seen in real life(including examples from Spain and Mexico) are just part of much bigger issues.

I don't blame Cornuto anymore than I blame Sosa

For sure, I've met several people who are from these cultures who DON'T subscribe to this nonsense, but they are swimming against the current.

Last edited by getthesenets; 05/02/14 03:39 PM.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: getthesenets] #775343
05/02/14 03:43 PM
05/02/14 03:43 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
My "self-hating" post was a deliberate overstatement, Gets smile .

I mean, really, how far removed is this from White people laying in a tanning bed or living at the beach in the summer to get darker (which I myself have been "guilty" of), or from Black folks straightening their hair back in the '50s and '60s?

I think it's human nature to not be a hundred percent comfortable in your own skin.

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: pizzaboy] #775349
05/02/14 04:42 PM
05/02/14 04:42 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
@ pizza

Indeed, but there is a big difference between a bleach blonde White woman and a Black woman wearing wig weave etc that looks absolutely nothing like what her natural hair texture looks like.

I used the Sosa example to refute Cornuto's point about money trumping heritage. Here's a man with as much money as all but maybe a handful of old money families in his country , but who feels that his heritage/appearance puts him at a social disadvantage....and who bleaches his skin to fit into high society.

Last edited by getthesenets; 05/02/14 04:50 PM.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #775430
05/03/14 11:07 AM
05/03/14 11:07 AM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
@pizzaboy

not being 100% comfortable in your own skin and bleaching your skin are two diff things

sammy sosa is probably damn near insane.....maybe it's from the roids

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: cookcounty] #775433
05/03/14 11:10 AM
05/03/14 11:10 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: cookcounty
@pizzaboy

not being 100% comfortable in your own skin and bleaching your skin are two diff things

sammy sosa is probably damn near insane.....maybe it's from the roids

lol lol

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: pizzaboy] #775439
05/03/14 11:56 AM
05/03/14 11:56 AM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama

I took no offense.

Hey when I was still on a line crew back in the day you would have thought I was from somewhere other than the South because I was so dark until I took my shirt off.....haha

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: dixiemafia] #775442
05/03/14 11:58 AM
05/03/14 11:58 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: dixiemafia

I took no offense.

I know. You're a good sport smile.

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #776398
05/08/14 11:40 AM
05/08/14 11:40 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Yeah I've seen some extremely dark Italians in my day and some very pale Italians in my day. Some Italians who looked black, middle eastern or Indian and some who looked Irish or German.They come in all shapes, sizes and colors really which is great. I always used to think it was funny how many Italians back in the day were so ignorant to discriminate against black people when Italians were called the N word in the south when they first came over in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Some of them were hung in the south. I just never saw how people could hate because of someone else's background when in the end I'm sure our ancestors all came from the same piece of land anyway at the beginning of hunan time.

Last edited by Revis_Island; 05/08/14 11:40 AM.
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #776403
05/08/14 11:57 AM
05/08/14 11:57 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
I knew one Dark Italian his nick name was Blackie.

only the unloved hate
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #776405
05/08/14 12:11 PM
05/08/14 12:11 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
When my mother came back from Florida from vacation she looked black. Her family was from Naples.

only the unloved hate
Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #776509
05/08/14 09:27 PM
05/08/14 09:27 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Lmao at that blackie joke. Blackie Napoli! Idk why they called him blackie though

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #777828
05/15/14 06:21 AM
05/15/14 06:21 AM
B
botz Offline
Underboss
botz  Offline
B
Underboss
Does anyone think that native americans and Italians look alike?

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #777840
05/15/14 06:58 AM
05/15/14 06:58 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I've seen some that look like native Americans sure.

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #777859
05/15/14 08:11 AM
05/15/14 08:11 AM
M
MikeyO Offline
BANNED
MikeyO  Offline
BANNED
M
Capo
You guys are as FF would say "DUMMIESS DUMMY DUMMIES!!!""""

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: getthesenets] #777863
05/15/14 08:17 AM
05/15/14 08:17 AM
M
MikeyO Offline
BANNED
MikeyO  Offline
BANNED
M
Capo

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Re: Southern Italians dark skin? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #777865
05/15/14 08:21 AM
05/15/14 08:21 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Remember the movie imitation of life?

only the unloved hate