GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Toodoped, Malavita, MeyerLansky), 128 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,355
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,735
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,283
Posts1,057,851
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Michael killing the Turk #7298
03/18/04 07:39 PM
03/18/04 07:39 PM
The Corleone Offline OP
Wiseguy
The Corleone  Offline OP
Wiseguy
When Michael said, "I gotta go to the bathroom."
then Solozzo frisked him, but when he returned, Solozzo did not. But it was more reasonable that he frisk Mike when he comes back. What is this ? Is not it a weakness of the story ?

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7299
03/18/04 08:53 PM
03/18/04 08:53 PM
USA
Don Pope Offline
Underboss
Don Pope  Offline
Underboss
USA
he didnt expect them to find out about the location non the less a gun planted in there

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" -Micheal Corleone

"Suck it up, take the fall, do the time. That makes you what you are, that makes you who you are." -John Gotti

"you heard of the new chinese godfather? He made em an offer they couldnt understand" -Corrado Soprano

"Ahhh, im gonna go wash up" -Paulie Gultiari
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7300
03/18/04 10:48 PM
03/18/04 10:48 PM
Desolation Row
Don Sonny Corleone Offline
Underboss
Don Sonny Corleone  Offline
Underboss
Desolation Row
Yeah frisking him when he comes back would be a better plan. Also Michael took a huge risk, because Clemenza told him to come out blasting, not to sit down. Imagine if Sollazzo had frisked him on the way back too.

If winners never lose, well, then a loser sure can sing the blues.
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7301
03/18/04 11:28 PM
03/18/04 11:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The novel provides another key detail: Sollozzo had a man in the restaurant at another table. When Michael asked to go to the john, Sollozzo looked to the man, who gave him a sign that it was ok because he had checked the bathroom. That's probably why Sollozzo didn't search Michael when he came out.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7302
03/19/04 09:03 AM
03/19/04 09:03 AM
Netherlands
M.M. Floors Offline
Underboss
M.M. Floors  Offline
Underboss
Netherlands
Originally posted by Don Sonny Corleone:
Yeah frisking him when he comes back would be a better plan.
No effect...cause when Mike came out of the bathroom he could shoot immediately. There is about 10 meters between the sitting place and the bathroom door. Enough to shoot from a distance.In other words: it could be too late to frisk him.

And Turnbull I know the man already checked the bathroom, but it was so small you could easily find it behind the flusher.

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7303
03/19/04 09:49 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by M.M. Floors:
[QUOTE]...I know the man already checked the bathroom, but it was so small you could easily find it behind the flusher.
Except that he didn't.

There is a good point made that Michael took a risk by sitting down before shooting, despite Clemenza's instructions.

However McClusky's declaration of 'I frisked him, he's clean!'...along with the fact that the bathroom was considered clean...apparently led Sollozzo to a false sense of safety.

And gosh, what a different story (if any) we would be discussing if Michael's gun was somehow discovered!!

rolleyes

AppleOnYa

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7304
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Did you notice however, that it did take Michael a bit to find it? Remember he had to feel around a little? I always thought that was a nice touch to that scene. ohwell It seemed for a brief moment we saw a little panic/fear in Michael's face as he was feeling around for the gun, as though he was thinking it wasn't there. It wasn't like he just reached and retrieved it right away.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7305
03/19/04 11:52 AM
03/19/04 11:52 AM
california
Robo Offline
Made Member
Robo  Offline
Made Member
california
Also Michael took a huge risk, because Clemenza told him to come out blasting, not to sit down. Imagine if Sollazzo had frisked him on the way back too.
i could only imagine being in michaels position, someone who had a whole other destiny chosen, just walking out of the bathroom blasting. knowing that this single incident would change his life forever and that he would need to dissapear.....i think i would need to sit down too and think it over. wink
rob

In my home! In my bedroom, where my wife sleeps! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7306
03/19/04 11:59 AM
03/19/04 11:59 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by Robo:
[QUOTE]...i think i would need to sit down too and think it over...
Somehow I don't think Michael's reason for sitting down was to 'think it over'. Once he walked into that restaurant he knew what he had to do, and that he was going to do it. The 'thinking it over' part was long past.

I would agree that Micheal just didn't have it in him to 'come out blasting'. One would guess he was a nervous wreck and simply had to sit down and gear himself up. YOu can see it all in his face.

Apple

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7307
03/19/04 12:03 PM
03/19/04 12:03 PM
california
Robo Offline
Made Member
Robo  Offline
Made Member
california
sorry that was a little confusing...i wasnt saying that that was michaels reasoning for sitting down. i was just saying "i would to need to sit down too"............and think it over personally, if it were me

cool

rob

In my home! In my bedroom, where my wife sleeps! Where my children come and play with their toys. In my home.
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7308
03/19/04 02:12 PM
03/19/04 02:12 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
This scene is good example of the "repeated viewing analysis" syndrome. We really have to throw out the book scenario of the third man. It would have added clutter to the scene. But think of viewing the scene for the first time. This scene has an enormous amount of dramatic build-up and consequence.

Michael is making his leap into family business. A very personal struggle and decision that will be consumated by his act of violence. As the viewer we feel Michael's anxiety. Play that against Sollozzo's desparation and suspicion. Will Michael be able to do it? Will Sollozzo foil the attempt? Sollozzo frisks him going into the bathroom (thank God we sigh, I hope he doesn't do it on the way out). Then Michael comes out of the bathroom, AND HE DOESN'T COME OUT BLASTIN'!!. Omigod what if Sollozzo frisks him again!!!? Coppala builds up the suspense through, sound, sight and dialog AND the actors play beautifully against each other.

Without a doubt one of the most dramatic and perfectly executed scenes in movie history.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7309
03/20/04 08:36 PM
03/20/04 08:36 PM
Happy Valley
Freddie C. Offline
Underboss
Freddie C.  Offline
Underboss
Happy Valley
After Mike kills the two of them and runs out of the restaurant, where was the driver Lou? The car was still parked out front. He should've been standing out there next to the car. That might have made Mike's exit a little more interesting. Maybe Coppola could've added a quick shot of some Corleone buttons taking care of the driver.

"The Dewey Decimal System... What a scam that was!"
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7310
03/21/04 11:05 AM
03/21/04 11:05 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
And Turnbull I know the man already checked the bathroom, but it was so small you could easily find it behind the flusher. [/QB]
As Stallionette said, even Michael had a hard time finding the gun so it was not that easy to find. Secondly let's remember something here : Mike was checked when he first gets into the car, then again when he gets up to go to the bathroom, right? Well they ALL knew that Michael was a civilian and not an acting participant in the family business. This probably made them all a bit more relaxed, especially after checking Mike out twice, and Sollozo's man who checked the bathroom probably knew this too, so he OBVIOUSLY did not do a thorough job. Sollozo's guy probably checked out the bathroom before they arrived to make sure that no one was hiding in there that would come out shooting when Sollozo entered the restaurant. That was more his mission then finding anything planted in there.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7311
03/21/04 11:09 AM
03/21/04 11:09 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally posted by Freddie C.:
After Mike kills the two of them and runs out of the restaurant, where was the driver Lou? The car was still parked out front. He should've been standing out there next to the car. That might have made Mike's exit a little more interesting. Maybe Coppola could've added a quick shot of some Corleone buttons taking care of the driver.
I don't recall if the novel explains this, but I have to figure that a Corleone Soldier "QUIETLY" took the driver "OUT" after they were dropped off. Let's face it, the whole Corleone plan was a well planned one, so I don't think that a detail like the driver would be "overlooked" by Clemenza and Tessio.

Don Cardi cool

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7312
03/21/04 12:30 PM
03/21/04 12:30 PM
No where
B
Boss_of_bosses Offline
Underboss
Boss_of_bosses  Offline
B
Underboss
No where
In the Novel Sollozzo had a henchman in the restaurant but in the movie he doesn't.

Everybody wonders where Lou was when Mike came out. Well I guess he was taken out by Tessio or his regime. After all Tessio was waiting for him

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7313
03/22/04 04:40 AM
03/22/04 04:40 AM
Bella_Dana Offline
Made Member
Bella_Dana  Offline
Made Member
Originally posted by The Italian Stallionette:
Did you notice however, that it did take Michael a bit to find it? Remember he had to feel around a little? I always thought that was a nice touch to that scene. ohwell It seemed for a brief moment we saw a little panic/fear in Michael's face as he was feeling around for the gun, as though he was thinking it wasn't there. It wasn't like he just reached and retrieved it right away.

TIS
yeah i know, that was really a nice touch, and first time i watched the movie i thought it really wasn't there or that he wouldn't find it.

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7314
03/25/04 01:16 PM
03/25/04 01:16 PM
juventus Offline
Underboss
juventus  Offline
Underboss
Wasn't it better that Micheal go to the bathroom and when micheal was in the bathroom a few corleone-soldiers come in and shot Sollozzo and McCluskey to death (like Luciano did with Masseria).

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7315
03/25/04 02:31 PM
03/25/04 02:31 PM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by juventus:
Wasn't it better that Micheal go to the bathroom and when micheal was in the bathroom a few corleone-soldiers come in and shot Sollozzo and McCluskey ...
No.

Because how would the 'soldiers' know exactly when Michael went into the bathroom? Remember, this is 1946.

And suppose everyone agreed on an exact time when he would get up to go to the bathroom? Do you think Sollozzo would be just a tiny bit suspicious that Michael checks his watch and then leaves the table?

And suppose some 'soldier' is watching from across the street to see just when Michael gets up. You think Sollozzo doesn't have the whole block swept and a lookout for something like that already covered?

The only way to get this done was to have them completely trusting of Michael and the Corleone Family.

Apple

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7316
03/25/04 03:10 PM
03/25/04 03:10 PM
juventus Offline
Underboss
juventus  Offline
Underboss
1946...yes but the killing on Joe Masseria was in 1931, so that was earlier. And of course there were people of Sollozza outside. But they also saw Micheal killing the 2 and Micheal hadn't got problem with the Sollozzo men also..
Tell me if I'm wrong.

'This was just another Bronx tale.'
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7317
03/25/04 10:01 PM
03/25/04 10:01 PM
Angel_Dust Offline
Wiseguy
Angel_Dust  Offline
Wiseguy
Originally posted by Don Pope:
he didnt expect them to find out about the location non the less a gun planted in there
what he said

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7318
03/25/04 11:22 PM
03/25/04 11:22 PM
New York
DonsAdvisor Offline
Underboss
DonsAdvisor  Offline
Underboss
New York
A potentially fatal flaw and loose end in the Corelone plan was that unarmed Michael was a sitting duck, vulnerable to Sollazzo's presumably armed driver outside.

Sollazzo's driver mysteriously and conveniently disappears when Michael exits the restaurant. This is true both in the book and the film. Puzo and FFC gloss over this. Maybe the guy just went around the corner for a smoke?

There are no other Sollazzo people outside (book and film). In the book, there is a Sollazzo goon inside the restaurant, but not outside. If we assume that Sollazzo people were outside, we must also assume that Corleone soldiers took them out for Michael's safety.

However, during the Coleone planning sessions, neither Sonny nor Tom nor anyone else mentions whacking potential Sollazzo people outside the restaurant, in defense of unarmed Michael.

Sonny tells Tessio to pick up Michael after the job. That's it.

Michael was just lucky.

Here is Michael thinking... "Gee.. I just whacked Sollazzo and McCluskey. Now, I've got to drop the gun. But what about LOU THE DRIVER outside? He must HAVE A GUN! I better hold on to my gun just in case.. But no. I can't get caught with the gun. Maybe Tessio will take care of the Driver. But Tessio is such an old fart? Sonny never ordered Tessio to do this!!!.. What do I do.. shit in my pants... MARIO PUZO, please write in the story that the driver disappears... .... ... ... Thank you Mario!! Now I can drop the gun and leave the restaurant.. I'm the most important character in the trilogy, you can't kill me this early."

"A refusal is not the act of a friend"
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7319
03/26/04 09:55 AM
03/26/04 09:55 AM
New Jersey
AppleOnYa Offline
AppleOnYa  Offline

New Jersey
Originally posted by juventus:
1946...yes but the killing on Joe Masseria was in 1931, so that was earlier. And of course there were people of Sollozza outside. But they also saw Micheal killing the 2 and Micheal hadn't got problem with the Sollozzo men also..
Tell me if I'm wrong.
Well I suppose you're right...I'm not the gangster history expert around here.

So I guess instead of playing the game with you, the simple answer is, that it worked out the way it did because Puzo wrote it that way. All the alternate plans and the fact that Mike was taking a big risk and what COULD have happened can be run into the ground. If we had not read/seen it depicted just the way it was, then we would be talking about a different story.

Best,
Apple

PS - To get back to 'the game'...I do think part of the reason the plan worked was that Sollozzo DID trust Michael. They frisked Michael in the car, took that famous abrupt turn on the bridge...and he had McCluskey with him. A fact that even Tom had surmized earlier made him virtually invulnerable. And Michael up to that point was considered 'a civilian'. Plus, how was Sollozzo to know that the Corleones had the informer in the police force to pass on that McClusky would be on call at Louis' in the Bronx.

Considering those circumstances I think Sollozzo took all the precautions he thought he would need to take. I believe he & McClusky thought they were perfectly safe.

- THOMAS JEFFERSON

Re: Michael killing the Turk #7320
05/04/04 02:21 AM
05/04/04 02:21 AM
washington dc
sonof70s Offline
Button
sonof70s  Offline
Button
washington dc
Yeah frisking him when he comes back would be a better plan. Also Michael took a huge risk, because Clemenza told him to come out blasting, not to sit down. Imagine if Sollazzo had frisked him on the way back too.
He seemed to disregard a lot of what Clemenza said. He didn't drop the gun to his side right away, he ran out, instead of walking (i think). He only shot the Turk once, after Clemenza said shoot each twice in the head. But it sure as hell worked.

"...for old times' sake?"
Re: Michael killing the Turk #7321
05/04/04 09:56 AM
05/04/04 09:56 AM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
I do think part of the reason the plan worked was that Sollozzo DID trust Michael. They frisked Michael in the car, took that famous abrupt turn on the bridge...and he had McCluskey with him. A fact that even Tom had surmized earlier made him virtually invulnerable. And Michael up to that point was considered 'a civilian'. Considering those circumstances I think Sollozzo took all the precautions he thought he would need to take. I believe he & McClusky thought they were perfectly safe.
In the novel, Puzo made a point of Michael experiencing a "strange delicious chill" during the dinner because "Sollozzo was underestimating him as a punk kid."
Underestimations lead to errors in judgment, and much of the action in the entire Trilogy pivots on underestimations. The Don underestimated Sollozzo...Sollozzo underestimated Michael...Sonny underestimated Carlo...Barzini and Tessio underestimated Michael...Michael underestimated Roth...Roth underestimated Michael...and so on.

Re: Michael killing the Turk [Re: Freddie C.] #973193
06/16/19 03:12 AM
06/16/19 03:12 AM
Over Here < < in TX
U talkin' da me ?? Offline
Shiny Brass
U talkin' da me ??  Offline
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Originally Posted by Freddie C.

This what I came here tonight to ask about. As Michael comes out of Louis's restaurant, there is the car they came to the restaurant in, with the white sidewalls and all. Surely Lou would have heard the shots fired from the "noisemaker" that Clemenza chose for Michael to use. I don't relish finding these plot holes, but when I notice one, I want to know what others think. And I have read the other comments here, and so, the answer is... we really don't know, and are free to fill in what seems plausible. But if there's no Lou sitting in the car, then I'd have to assume he'd been whacked on the street, but somehow without drawing attention to it.

Bty, while lining up the shot outside to watch in slo-motion as Michael comes walking out past the parked car where Lou should have been... in the scene --just-- before that, where Captain McCluskey is lying on the floor, at 1:29:56, I spotted that he blinks his eye one time. I saw this in regular motion. I couldn't see the blink as well in slo-mo. wink

"It's nothing personal, Sonny....... It's strictly business."

Re: Michael killing the Turk [Re: The Corleone] #973194
06/16/19 03:26 AM
06/16/19 03:26 AM
blueracing347 Offline
Underboss
blueracing347  Offline
Underboss
It would've been nice if Lou's death (a picture with his head against the steering wheel) was on one of the first newspaper articles they showed after the murders. Just my .02

Re: Michael killing the Turk [Re: blueracing347] #973195
06/16/19 04:11 AM
06/16/19 04:11 AM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Originally Posted by blueracing347
It would've been nice if Lou's death (a picture with his head against the steering wheel) was on one of the first newspaper articles they showed after the murders. Just my .02

I was wondering what happened to the hostage the Corleone's were holding? Do think they killed him out of spite??

Re: Michael killing the Turk [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #973200
06/16/19 06:12 AM
06/16/19 06:12 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted by U talkin' da me ??
Originally Posted by blueracing347

I was wondering what happened to the hostage the Corleone's were holding? Do think they killed him out of spite??

The hostage(s) were only arranged to guarantee Michael's safety, not Sollozzo's. The Corleones would have released any hostages they were holding.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Michael killing the Turk [Re: U talkin' da me ??] #973207
06/16/19 12:43 PM
06/16/19 12:43 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ

Bty, while lining up the shot outside to watch in slo-motion as Michael comes walking out past the parked car where Lou should have been... in the scene --just-- before that, where Captain McCluskey is lying on the floor, at 1:29:56, I spotted that he blinks his eye one time. I saw this in regular motion. I couldn't see the blink as well in slo-mo. wink

Note, also, that Michael's first shot hits Mac in the throat, but while he's clutching his throat, you see the bullet hole from the second shot already on his forehead-- before Michael pulled the trigger the second time.

Re: Michael killing the Turk [Re: Turnbull] #973214
06/16/19 04:57 PM
06/16/19 04:57 PM
Over Here < < in TX
Shiny Brass
Shiny Brass
Underboss
Over Here < < in TX
Originally Posted by Turnbull

Note, also, that Michael's first shot hits Mac in the throat, but while he's clutching his throat, you see the bullet hole from the second shot already on his forehead-- before Michael pulled the trigger the second time.

That second shot was from a different gunman...on the grassy knoll.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull