GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 98 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,403
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,800
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,295
Posts1,058,116
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GF III. Was it misunderstood? #768540
03/17/14 06:33 PM
03/17/14 06:33 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
Recently I purchased the Trilogy on Blue Ray with the FFC comments. BTW, very nice in Blue Ray. Last night I watched GF III and although I haven't watched it anywhere near the amount of times I've seen GF and GF II, I believe it finally found its way into my mental Trilogy and I understand why it was critically panned. It wasn't a romanticized family story with lovable characters. It was no longer a story about the Corleones, it was story about greed and corruption and how it destroys people.....like the Corleones. And to provide the ultimate impact, the story implicates one of the highest bastions of morality - the Catholic Church. What a heavy dose of depression.

FFC gave us a mighty slap across the face. Michael never really morphed into a bad guy. The Fredo thing was a brick in the head, but all his attempts to legitimatize were thwarted by greed...and not by individuals, but by "legitimate" organizations.

I thought Al Pacino may have given his best performance of the Trilogy. Sophia Coppola was lambasted by many, but her understated portrayal of Mary was a necessary contrast to Vincent and her parents. Even George Hamilton fit the part. Now Eli Wallach?? The character was wrong, not the actor. He was a devious bastard.

One question. Why was Joey Zaza invited to the Atlantic City meeting? Was he the only one who didn't get a "gift" from Michael. If so, he shouldn't have been there. Artistic License?

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #768543
03/17/14 06:42 PM
03/17/14 06:42 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
I think he was there to be snubbed, so he thought he was getting something.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: waynethegame] #768599
03/17/14 11:15 PM
03/17/14 11:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I agree with Wayne: he was there to set up the machine gun attack--directorial license.

I thought GFIII isn't a bad movie if considered as a standalone. But, of course, it can't be considered as a standalone. It is glaringly worse than the other two.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #768680
03/18/14 03:31 PM
03/18/14 03:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
MC, those are some interesting observations. I've posted elsewhere that I thought that Sophia's portrayal of a teenager on the threshold of womanhood was just fine.

The greed and corruption theme? Indeed, and it was also about it taking place in the legitimate world. But Michael was still complicit. As several of we Board members have posted elsewhere, Michael could have backed out at any point and certainly at any time during III. I never bought the they draw me back in. While it may be true that one can never leave the Mafia, one can retire and Michael was in a position to do so. I just never understood what legitimate interest he could have had in the Corleone family other than trying to have a vote (maybe the controlling one) about its leadership. It was never clear to me that Altobello and his Europeon allies wanted Immobliere for nefarious reasons, so why would they want Michael out of the way?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #771598
04/05/14 06:19 AM
04/05/14 06:19 AM
D
DonJon Offline
Button
DonJon  Offline
D
Button
Sophia was unwatchable in this movie. She was just plain horrible.

Plus the other thing that sticks out with me on this that is incredibly dumb. After they kill Zaza, Connie states "now they will fear you."

Michael wiped out the heads of the 4 other crime families, killed his own sibling, Hymen Roth, and THIS is the event that will make them "fear him" ?? Really ??

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: DonJon] #771658
04/05/14 11:14 AM
04/05/14 11:14 AM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The problem with III is that the storyline is too forced. II uses the backstory of Vito's early life which was part of the original Godfather novel, with the plotline of Michael's being the Don in Nevada being a logical extension of the "move to Vegas" they discussed in the original.

I think I am correct in saying that at the time of III FFC and Puzo may have needed the money, and unlike the original, III was something the studio wanted instead of it being something the director wanted.

I believe Wynona Ryder was slated to play Mary, but became ill at the last minute, and FFC made the terrible mistake of casting his daughter, who is a talented writer and director for sure, but no actress. The casting of Hamilton was a bit of Hubris also. I think FFC thought he pulled off a fast one by casting Troy Donahue ad Merle in II, and was trying to duplicate it.

For my taste Pacino overracted. Eli Wallach was just awful.

Standing alone it would be a 3 out of five star movie... along the lines of another mediocre but entertaining Pacino turn in "Devil's Advocate." Nothing more.

If there is anything good in GFIII its the acting of Talia Shire.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: dontomasso] #771684
04/05/14 11:50 AM
04/05/14 11:50 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
DT, I completely agree with your description of III as forced. That's a great characterization. For sure, some of the casting was inappropriate. But that may have been due to a lack of applicants. Of course, the screenplay wasn't the best; some of the dialogue was just plain silly and the film too long and involved.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #771773
04/05/14 05:07 PM
04/05/14 05:07 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Turnbull took the words I would use. It's a good movie if taken on its own. The problem is that it is a sequel to not one, but two of the best films in cinematic history. It was doomed to fail to live up to such lofty standards.

It's flawed. I agree with the comment that it's "forced." I hate the trading in on the preceding films with comments such as "temper like his father" and "learn from your father." BJ Harrison & Sofia Coppola bring the film down IMHO. I like the treachery of Gilday & Lucchese, the contrition of Michael, and the no more bullshit attitude of Kay. Plus Connie had too much control over Michael to be believable.

The characters used in GFIII from the first film were poor choices: Lucy, Johnny Fontaine, & Sonny's twins from Part II. I think Tom Hagen would have made the film much better.

Sequels rarely work. But GFII was the exception. To think lightning would strike a third time is unrealistic.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: olivant] #771902
04/06/14 01:49 PM
04/06/14 01:49 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: olivant
DT, I completely agree with your description of III as forced. That's a great characterization. For sure, some of the casting was inappropriate. But that may have been due to a lack of applicants. Of course, the screenplay wasn't the best; some of the dialogue was just plain silly and the film too long and involved.

Oli.. one point about lack of applicants...the studio wanted to make the movie, but not badly enough to pay Robert Duvall what he was worth at the time. By then Duvall had made quite a name for himself. Would a young FFC have bowed to this so easily?

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: waynethegame] #771905
04/06/14 01:58 PM
04/06/14 01:58 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: waynethegame
I think he was there to be snubbed, so he thought he was getting something.

There may have been a reason Michael allowed all this to play out. At that point Michael knew that Zasa knew that he (Michael) was preventing Zasa from rising up in the Commission. For some reason, probably preventing a war, Michael was completely against having Zasa killed, but embarrasing him like that in "public" got just the reaction Michael wanted...a declaration from Zasa that the two of them were now "enemies." Of course Michael underestimated Zasa, and did not see the Zasa-Altobello alliance (thats what he gets for having George Hamilton as a lawyer.....Hagen would have figured this out) coming, and he was clueless about the helicopter attack. This was a terrible tactical mistake.

Of course once Vincent an Neri rescued him from the attempted hit, Michael, who was plotting against Zasa in a rather feckless way, indulges in self-pity by claiming he is beind "dragged back in" when in fact he was never really trying to get out.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #772692
04/11/14 08:26 PM
04/11/14 08:26 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
DT, there's no indication that Hamilton was a consigliere. on the other hand, there is evidence that he was a corporate attorney. Also, Altobello was a long time family ally. So, why would Michael view him as otherwise. Being clueless about the helicopter attack was not monopolized by Michael; none of the dons saw it coming.

Of course, as so many of us have posted in other threads, Michael could have retired from the life whenever he wanted. He let himself be pulled back in.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: olivant] #773021
04/14/14 02:54 PM
04/14/14 02:54 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

dammndest thing........I was watching the HBO version of III on my DVR this weekend, and right after the order came down to Neri, "light a candle under the archbishop)I got a message saying "for technical reasons the rest" of the movie was not recorded. I felt awful I missed the ending.... So it can't be all that bad.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: dontomasso] #773339
04/16/14 08:42 PM
04/16/14 08:42 PM
Westchester
Frankie_Five_Angels Offline
Made Member
Frankie_Five_Angels  Offline
Made Member
Westchester
Not misunderstood... just an obviously weak movie..(when compared to first two)

Wallach and S.Coppolla had big important roles that were both awful. Wallach was miscast and acted horribly.

Although not S.Coppolla's fault that she was miscast, her role was completely unbelievable. No shot Mancini would fall in love with her.. looks wise (considering who she was)...

Last edited by Frankie_Five_Angels; 04/16/14 08:43 PM.

"I'll give you undignified. Go fuck yourself. You, Phil... whoever. He's my fuckin' cousin."

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents"..
Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #775008
05/01/14 06:05 AM
05/01/14 06:05 AM
Capo_Clemenza Offline
Associate
Capo_Clemenza  Offline
Associate
The story they originally had for Hagen and Michael falling out, Willie Chi Chi and Rocco surviving would have made a much better movie.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: dontomasso] #775037
05/01/14 07:50 AM
05/01/14 07:50 AM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

I think I am correct in saying that at the time of III FFC and Puzo may have needed the money,

I believe that you are correct DT. The story goes that FFC's winery was losing money and in order to save it he decided to make GFIII.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #775291
05/02/14 12:45 PM
05/02/14 12:45 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I used to really love Part III. It was probably the movie that stayed with me the most after I saw the trilogy for the first time, especially because of the ending, which I still do think is pretty damn good.

Over time, I've come to see it for its flaws and each time I watch it, I see more reasons why it was so panned. Ironically, I see Sofia's performance as less and less a mark against it. It's bad, sure, but not as bad as some of the other acting (Wallach) and the dialog. My god, the dialog. "My lucky coat", and "Vincent, do you love me" even though we just met?

It's a decent capper to the trilogy and I can appreciate its ambition. That it is as good as it is (if you can say it's good) despite what went wrong during production, is a testament to everyone involved.

But it's still a terrible movie.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #793892
08/03/14 06:26 PM
08/03/14 06:26 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
We've extensively discussed the disappointing III and part of that disappointment is with some of the casting. But I don't recall any comments about why certain casting decisions were made. Can any Board members enlighten us?

I think we've pretty much indicted the casting of Michael's attoney with Hamilton, Altobello with Wallach, and Lucchese with the german sounding actor. Given the array of actors available to casting agents, why would Puzo and FFC settle for them?

Last edited by olivant; 08/03/14 06:27 PM.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: olivant] #793934
08/04/14 05:22 AM
08/04/14 05:22 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

The only things I know for sure is thet Duvall would not reprise his role for financial reasons, and Wynona Ryder, who was supposed to play Mary got sick, could not fufill her contract and was replaced by Sofia Copppola.

IMHO, FFC and even Puzo did III for the money more than out of artistic inspiration. I think everyone enjoyed being reunited, going back to Sicily, and enjoying themselves offscreen, but thats a far cry from the effort that went into I and II.

In one of the documentaries about the Godfather, FFC and Pacino make a big fuss about Michael's speech to the corpse of Don Tomassino as representing the theme of the movie, but even that very good scene seems forced, and almost not a part of the picture.

I have no clue what possesed FFC to make some of the awful casting decisions. I think Eli Wallach was some kind of Lee Strassberg protoge, so maybe that had something to do with it, but then again he was also in a bunch of Spaghetti Westerns, which is a sketchy connection. As for Hamilton, I can only guess it was hubris. FFC pulled off using Troy Donahue as Merle in II, but that was a very small part. Hamilton was simply not credible as Hagen's replacement. Even worse, he wasn't even given good lines. Telling the archbishop he got gray hair from worrying was embarrasing.

Even Andy Garcia, who was considered an up and comer at the time was something of a bust, because after that role he really didnt do anything notable until the Ocean's 11, 12, and 13 movies, in which he was already playing a parody of himself.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #817371
12/06/14 09:24 AM
12/06/14 09:24 AM
newcastle upon tyne uk
djdt77 Offline
Wiseguy
djdt77  Offline
Wiseguy
newcastle upon tyne uk
i did enjoy the GF3 ............but it was lacking something compared with the first movies

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: DonJon] #818737
12/14/14 03:59 AM
12/14/14 03:59 AM
EnzoBaker Offline
Capo
EnzoBaker  Offline
Capo
Well, we are given to believe that Michael has been trying to take the Corleone family legitimate for several years at the time of GF III, so it is not inconceivable that for many of the members of the Commission, especially newer members who came in after 1960s, might have considered Michael's bad-ass reputation as more the stuff of legend than anything else.

By smoking Joey Zasa (or allowing Vincent to do it), he serves notice he can still be brutal when he feels like it.

"You did good."
Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: EnzoBaker] #818755
12/14/14 08:09 AM
12/14/14 08:09 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Originally Posted By: EnzoBaker
Well, we are given to believe that Michael has been trying to take the Corleone family legitimate for several years at the time of GF III, so it is not inconceivable that for many of the members of the Commission, especially newer members who came in after 1960s, might have considered Michael's bad-ass reputation as more the stuff of legend than anything else.

By smoking Joey Zasa (or allowing Vincent to do it), he serves notice he can still be brutal when he feels like it.

From the looks of the gathering in Atlantic City, most of the people there looked to be Michael's age or even older, so I think they knew he was a bad ass. Still, Michael did not approve of the killing of Zasa, which he made clear to Vincent, Neri and Connie. He may have even got the word out that this was a rogue opertaion, so I do not think the killing of Zasa served notice to anyone.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #821368
12/31/14 03:40 PM
12/31/14 03:40 PM
afriendofours Offline
Underboss
afriendofours  Offline
Underboss
My biggest gripe with GF III was that Michael was no longer Michael anymore, but he was Al Pacino, during his "hoo-hah" era.

I mean not only did he no longer look like Michael but the brooding, calculating demeanor was gone completely.

Im not sure if that was done on purpose to show us Michael had grown, but it was like watching a different character or just Pacino.

Sofia Copppola takes alot of flack for her acting in the movie, it probably didn't help that she was the directors daughter. But i really didn't think she was that bad, i mean shes not a top class actress sure, but she wasn't as bad as some make out.

GF III for me showed us just how invaluable John Cazale and Robert Duvall were to the first two movies. Its a pity they didn't work something out for Duvall.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #821369
12/31/14 04:17 PM
12/31/14 04:17 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Well friend, III was intended to show a Michael torn between giving up power (or having it taken from him) and redeeming his soul.

As far as Sophia goes, I agree with you. She accurately and credibly portrayed a vulnerable girl on the verge of womanhood.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #821401
12/31/14 07:16 PM
12/31/14 07:16 PM
Scottsdale
Its_da_Jackeeettttttt Offline
Underboss
Its_da_Jackeeettttttt  Offline
Underboss
Scottsdale
Something else that bugged me about Eli Wallach's character...

Way back when, Altobello was consigliere for the Tattaglia family, yet he's Connie's godfather. It strikes me as a bit odd that someone from a rival family would be godfather to one's only daughter.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: afriendofours] #821405
12/31/14 07:50 PM
12/31/14 07:50 PM
Scottsdale
Its_da_Jackeeettttttt Offline
Underboss
Its_da_Jackeeettttttt  Offline
Underboss
Scottsdale
Originally Posted By: afriendofours
My biggest gripe with GF III was that Michael was no longer Michael anymore, but he was Al Pacino, during his "hoo-hah" era.

I mean not only did he no longer look like Michael but the brooding, calculating demeanor was gone completely.

Im not sure if that was done on purpose to show us Michael had grown, but it was like watching a different character or just Pacino.

Sofia Copppola takes alot of flack for her acting in the movie, it probably didn't help that she was the directors daughter. But i really didn't think she was that bad, i mean shes not a top class actress sure, but she wasn't as bad as some make out.

GF III for me showed us just how invaluable John Cazale and Robert Duvall were to the first two movies. Its a pity they didn't work something out for Duvall.

To me, the role of Michael Corleone goes like this:

GF1, GF2: Al Pacino
GF3: Tony Montana with a New York accent

Voice aside, it's as if Pacino is playing a parody of Michael Corleone in GF3. For somebody who's out of the business and supposed to be redeeming himself via charity, he's anything but. The outbursts are so over the top; granted Michael was angry at times in GF2, but his reactions were much more controlled and measured.

I don't have an issue with Sofia Coppola's acting, aside from some shitty lines she was given -- her telling Vincent "I'll give you a hint...he's Italian" is just horrid. I don't think any other actress would have been much of a difference. Sofia probably gets more flak because of the nepotism perception.

On the other hand, Bridget Fonda serves no purpose in the film, other than a parking place for Vincent for the night.

FFC did alright when he was able to slot Michael V. Gazzo into what was Clemenza's character in GF2. That does not work when you swap George Hamilton for Robert Duvall. Besides, what powerful businessman has a lawyer named BJ Harrison?

Oh, let's not forget GF3 also had Ron Jeremy...

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt] #822281
01/05/15 02:10 PM
01/05/15 02:10 PM
afriendofours Offline
Underboss
afriendofours  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt

Voice aside, it's as if Pacino is playing a parody of Michael Corleone in GF3. For somebody who's out of the business and supposed to be redeeming himself via charity, he's anything but. The outbursts are so over the top; granted Michael was angry at times in GF2, but his reactions were much more controlled and measured.

I love the explosiveness of Michael's anger in the first two movies, something that was completely lost in the third.

Watching GF II yesterday the scene where Tom is telling him about the "miscarriage" and Michael explosively yells can't he just give a straight answer anymore.

Where as Godfather 3 felt like watching Al Pacino in Scent Of A Woman lol. Hoo-Hah..

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: dontomasso] #843904
05/29/15 10:34 AM
05/29/15 10:34 AM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
The problem with III is that the storyline is too forced. II uses the backstory of Vito's early life which was part of the original Godfather novel, with the plotline of Michael's being the Don in Nevada being a logical extension of the "move to Vegas" they discussed in the original.

I think I am correct in saying that at the time of III FFC and Puzo may have needed the money, and unlike the original, III was something the studio wanted instead of it being something the director wanted.

I believe Wynona Ryder was slated to play Mary, but became ill at the last minute, and FFC made the terrible mistake of casting his daughter, who is a talented writer and director for sure, but no actress. The casting of Hamilton was a bit of Hubris also. I think FFC thought he pulled off a fast one by casting Troy Donahue ad Merle in II, and was trying to duplicate it.

Standing alone it would be a 3 out of five star movie... along the lines of another mediocre but entertaining Pacino turn in "Devil's Advocate." Nothing more.

FFC didn't want to do Part II initially. He relented when the studio gave him total control.

Part III was a cash grab. It financed his winery.

Had Rider and Duvall been a part of Part III it would have instantly been much better...but it still had a weak script and was made too long after Part II.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #846279
06/15/15 01:49 PM
06/15/15 01:49 PM
T
ToadBrother Offline
Wiseguy
ToadBrother  Offline
T
Wiseguy
Originally Posted By: DeathByClotheshanger

FFC didn't want to do Part II initially. He relented when the studio gave him total control.

Part III was a cash grab. It financed his winery.

Had Rider and Duvall been a part of Part III it would have instantly been much better...but it still had a weak script and was made too long after Part II.

A Godfather Part III that was about the final split between Michael and Tom would have been a monumental movie; as big in scope as the Godfather Part 2. Instead it always feels to me like two poorly coordinated stories; one a sort of corporate thriller about a bad guy trying to wash himself clean with a big acquisition while his enemies try to prevent it, and the other a sort of passing of the torch from the king to his heir (Michael to Vincent, much as Godfather 1 was about Vito to Michael).

It's these two poorly sewed together plots that drive me nuts about the movie. I get the whole Vincent-Mary plot line, even if the wrong actress was cast. I get the whole Immobiliare plot line, though George Hamilton sort of plays a rather dull "hotshot" corporate lawyer type that gives us nothing emotional to attach ourselves to.

If I could not have got Robert Duvall to come back (and I would have paid him whatever he wanted, even costar billing with Pacino), then I would have eliminated the whole Don Altobello angle. It really does poorly fit the story, and always feels patched on. I would have played up the whole "enemies in high places" angle much more; sort of a Sollozzo-Barzini writ large. You could still have worked in the other points without a distracting never-before-seen-but-so-very-powerful Don.

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #848047
06/26/15 05:55 PM
06/26/15 05:55 PM
Graveyard
The Iceman Offline
Official BB Hitman
The Iceman  Offline
Official BB Hitman
Underboss
Graveyard
I remember watching Godfather III in the theater when it was released, I do remember the theater was basically dead me and like one other person. If it is viewed as a stand alone film it's not bad it's a hell of a lot better than what is coming out nowdays. But like Turnbull stated it can't be viewed as a stand alone film now obviously when compared to the first 2 both winners of Best Picture(Godfather II, being the only sequel to accomplish such a feat)it will come up short. I heard that FFC was having financial problems and that it was rushed into production. If both of those scenario's are indeed fact the movie is bound to fail right off the bat

Re: GF III. Was it misunderstood? [Re: MaryCas] #875332
02/12/16 11:45 PM
02/12/16 11:45 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
My theory: They didn't meet Robert Duvall's demand, so, no Tom Hagen. Pacino was upset about that, and mailed in his performance. I mean he wasn't even trying to be Michael, and that alone about ruined it. I actually think the Vatican involvement was a good idea, just poorly acted and probably a poor final draft that Coppola and Puzo would have given more attention to if the environment surrounding production wasn't so disgruntled. Also, Sophia Coppola might be the worst actor ever, although she's a good director. Lost in Translation is good stuff.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull