GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Irishman12, 1 invisible), 99 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,336
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,699
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,502
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,277
Posts1,057,700
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Philly Iron workers indicted #764669
02/19/14 06:13 PM
02/19/14 06:13 PM
P
padrone Offline OP
Made Member
padrone  Offline OP
P
Made Member
Thought some of the Philly Guys would find this interesting. Wasn't Lucibello an iron worker?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaki...indictment.html

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764671
02/19/14 06:23 PM
02/19/14 06:23 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Very interesting to me. It's all over the news and the papers. I am a union masonry guy out of local 1 Philly. The iron workers hall is about 5 minutes from my hall. I no lots in the iron workers, work with a lot sometimes on a daily basis. This whole situation puts a bad taste in people's mouths about the unions. So this definitely sucks for all us union members. But a lot of bullshit goes with the unions. That goes for all the trades.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764672
02/19/14 06:38 PM
02/19/14 06:38 PM
Cajunland
LaLouisiane Offline
Cajun Mafia
LaLouisiane  Offline
Cajun Mafia
Underboss
Cajunland
Geeze, I'm glad we don't have that union business down south in the oilfield industry they would wreck havoc down here..

"What are you cacklin' hens cluckin' about?!?!"

"Is that him?!? With the sombrero on?!?"

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764681
02/19/14 07:07 PM
02/19/14 07:07 PM
B
BigRed Offline
Button
BigRed  Offline
B
Button
Philly being Philly.

I'm a former Teamster (107) and this stuff is just business as usual. I remember it a decade ago and I've heard from my dad how bad it used to be. The more things change...The only thing new is that they were actually indicted this time.

Philly has a chance to be a dynamic city again. Business wants it and, more importantly, it's citizens want it. But a bunch of guys in hardhats from the suburbs want their piece first.

Edit: Paper Shredders Local 1 is going to have double overtime over the next couple weeks all over the city.

Last edited by BigRed; 02/19/14 07:08 PM.
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764684
02/19/14 07:32 PM
02/19/14 07:32 PM
J
Jose Offline
Capo
Jose  Offline
J
Capo
I was surprised to see the amount if arson in the indictments - surprised it took as Long as it did. IMO they were way too sloppy - the indictment has tons of quotes which mean there were plenty of wires .. Wonder which one of these guys flip first and bring down the hierarchy. After uncle joe acquittal Feds will drop the hammer on these guys.

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: BigRed] #764688
02/19/14 08:14 PM
02/19/14 08:14 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: BigRed
Philly being Philly.

I'm a former Teamster (107) and this stuff is just business as usual. I remember it a decade ago and I've heard from my dad how bad it used to be. The more things change...The only thing new is that they were actually indicted this time.

Philly has a chance to be a dynamics city again. Business wants it and, more importantly, it's citizens want it. But a bunch of guys in hardhats from the suburbsd want their piece first.

Edit: Paper Shredders Local 1 is going to have double overtime over the next couple weeks all over the city.

;5
My father is also in the trades. He was the business agent and Vice President of local
1. He is with the international now. Works out of the house. Big wig in the trades. But he told me a lot of stuff that has gone on over the years.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764715
02/19/14 10:28 PM
02/19/14 10:28 PM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
Chickie Ciangalini was an iron worker.

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764754
02/20/14 05:42 AM
02/20/14 05:42 AM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
Do you guys believe that the philly mob are involved?

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764755
02/20/14 06:17 AM
02/20/14 06:17 AM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
No

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: thebigfella] #764761
02/20/14 08:38 AM
02/20/14 08:38 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: thebigfella
Do you guys believe that the philly mob are involved?

The bikers are more involved with the iron workers then any LCN guys.

When my dad was still the Vice President in my local, they did work on Merlino's house years ago. They knocked the wall down between the two houses and turned 2 into 1. But back on topic.
There was a big meth bust like 6 or 7 years ago with the bikers and my buddies dad got pinched along with them. But he was with the iron workers and still is he just got about year or so ago.
Not sure how long ago this was but my father also told me about Merlino's people kicking in Johnny Dougherty's (electrician president) brothers door. I guess for not falling in line and making payments but who knows.
Me being a union member and knowing stories from my dad I still believe LCN has their foot in the door with the unions but no where near what Scarfo was doing in A.C. with the bartenders and others.

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764777
02/20/14 10:53 AM
02/20/14 10:53 AM
spmob Offline
Underboss
spmob  Offline
Underboss
I think it was the 401 and not the 405. My Brother in law is in the one that didn't get indicted.

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #764823
02/20/14 02:20 PM
02/20/14 02:20 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

the arson in the aid of ract. holds like 15yrs mando minimum. that's what gonna start making couple of the guys singing. shit that guy moosie got 16yrs for poker machines, these dudes are goona get smoked. somme union guys in boston got indiced last yr by the feds don't know the outcome, but I don't remember any violence.

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #765302
02/23/14 07:45 PM
02/23/14 07:45 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Philly.com has another article up today on the local.

"Ironworkers Local 401: Proud thugs"

"Ironworkers local is stuck at an earlier evolutionary state"

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201402...nary_state.html

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: Giancarlo] #765347
02/24/14 06:33 AM
02/24/14 06:33 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
Philly.com has another article up today on the local.

"Ironworkers Local 401: Proud thugs"

"Ironworkers local is stuck at an earlier evolutionary state"

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201402...nary_state.html

Thank you for post Carlo.

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: PhillyMob] #765422
02/24/14 05:14 PM
02/24/14 05:14 PM
B
BigRed Offline
Button
BigRed  Offline
B
Button
The bikers are more involved with the iron workers then any LCN guys.

You think? I didn't think the Pagans or Warlocks had enough juice to control union jobs anymore. I knew some owned construction companies back in the day though.

Anyway the Ironworkers Local is a weird one. If I remember correctly they began as a half-dozen families who came to Philadelphia from Newfoundland a fifty years ago. They also have a substantial amount of Mohawk Indians who are good on high structures I guess. Needless to say there aren't many Mohawks or Indians in general in Philadelphia. I feel like they are one of the most insular of Philadelphia unions and that is why stuff like this happens. It's also why the Mob was unlikely to infiltrate.

http://articles.philly.com/2008-02-07/news/25265483_1_minority-participation-ironworkers-dougherty

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #765425
02/24/14 05:21 PM
02/24/14 05:21 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
The Mohawks...weren't they those beam walkers......on the skyscrapers? I'd literally shit my pants if i ever was up that high on a beam.

Used to have a buddy that worked high up on bridges....i think it was one of those iron worker unions but i'm not positive.

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: PhillyMob] #765458
02/24/14 09:22 PM
02/24/14 09:22 PM
S
ScottD Offline
Made Member
ScottD  Offline
S
Made Member
Originally Posted By: PhillyMob
Very interesting to me. It's all over the news and the papers. I am a union masonry guy out of local 1 Philly. The iron workers hall is about 5 minutes from my hall. I no lots in the iron workers, work with a lot sometimes on a daily basis. This whole situation puts a bad taste in people's mouths about the unions. So this definitely sucks for all us union members. But a lot of bullshit goes with the unions. That goes for all the trades.

My Dad was an Ironworker out of Jersey for many years. Definitely not indicative of the profession as a whole.

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: Giancarlo] #765471
02/24/14 11:42 PM
02/24/14 11:42 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
The Mohawks...weren't they those beam walkers......on the skyscrapers? I'd literally shit my pants if i ever was up that high on a beam.

Used to have a buddy that worked high up on bridges....i think it was one of those iron worker unions but i'm not positive.

Lol I do restoration work on swings all the time almost everyday. The highest I been is 34 stories from ground to roof. Then had to climb out over this wall another 8 ft. Making if almost 35 stories. Pretty hairy when it's windy but I'm always harnaced in. Safety first. I don't even think about the height you just work and do your thing but always safe so yu go home to your family

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: PhillyMob] #765473
02/24/14 11:56 PM
02/24/14 11:56 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss

Lol I do restoration work on swings all the time almost everyday. The highest I been is 34 stories from ground to roof. Then had to climb out over this wall another 8 ft. Making if almost 35 stories. Pretty hairy when it's windy but I'm always harnaced in. Safety first. I don't even think about the height you just work and do your thing but always safe so yu go home to your family

More power to ya PhillyMob...me i'd be holding on for my life...lol.

Heights don't bother me that much but walking those beams is just not my thing. They'd probably have to come up there and rescue my ass....i'd be holding onto that fucking beam with everything i got! lol

You guys got balls.

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #765589
02/25/14 04:50 PM
02/25/14 04:50 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Union violence in philly rarely prosecuted

Union violence in Phila. area rarely prosecuted

Jeremy Roebuck Inquirer Staff Writer February 24, 2014 5:04 AM
Authorities announced a racketeering conspiracy case against 10 members of Ironworkers Local 401.
Labor-related prosecutions remain rare, often stymied by hesitant victims, political pressures, and legal hurdles.
Prosecutors will have to establish a pattern of behavior instead of proving individual acts of extortion.
GALLERY: Union violence in Phila. area rarely prosecuted

After his Chestnut Hill Quaker meetinghouse construction site was torched in December 2012, builder Robert Reeves Jr. immediately knew whom to blame.

Weeks of aggressive confrontation with members of the Philadelphia ironworkers' union had led up to the attack. But despite his confidence in their involvement, he remained reluctant to pursue a criminal case.

"This type of retaliation has been going on all of my lifetime, my entire career," he said. "What was going to change here?"

So, Reeves said, he was as surprised as anyone when federal authorities last week announced a sweeping racketeering conspiracy case against 10 members of Ironworkers Local 401, alleging top leaders, including union head Joseph Dougherty, had doled out violent retribution for years against contractors who refused to hire their members.

MORE COVERAGE
Ironworkers Local 401: Proud thugs
10 Ironworkers charged for racketeering
Authorities hailed the indictment - with charges for beatings, threats from goon squads, and arson - as a bid "to change the culture of unions in Philadelphia."

Dougherty and the others have denied the accusations.

But in a city with an outsize reputation for labor-related violence and vandalism, prosecutions remain exceedingly rare, often stymied by hesitant victims, political pressures, and legal hurdles.

Pressed to recall the last large case against Philadelphia union members, federal authorities reached as far back as the 1980s to their case against Roofers Local 30-30B - a massive corruption probe that brought down 13 union leaders, three reputed mobsters, two lawyers, a judge, and a police officer on accusations of extortion, intimidation, and political bribery.

"These are very difficult cases to make," said Richard Scheff, the ex-federal prosecutor who handled the case. "It's difficult to find witnesses who will testify. For most, it's easier just to move forward and put it all behind you."

Although reports of labor-related violence in Philadelphia have declined over the last 40 years, the circumstances of the 2012 Quaker meetinghouse arson brought fresh attention to labor violence.

Vandals crept onto the project's muddy construction zone under cover of night four days before Christmas. The next morning, workers found the work site in disarray.

A burned-out shell was all that remained of their smoldering construction crane. Dozens of shaved-off bolts threatened the integrity of the structure's steel columns.

Reeves, the builder, estimated the damage at $500,000 and weeks of lost work.

Even so, he remained wary of cooperating with investigators, said George McClay, a former Philadelphia police lieutenant who handled the initial investigation.

Reeves "looked at me and said, 'How can I trust you? You're union, too,' " McClay, now Morrisville's chief of police, said. It took him a few moments to realize the builder was referring to his membership in the Fraternal Order of Police.

Reeves was eventually won over. But witness reluctance remained a problem for investigators.

Several developers contacted for this story declined to comment, saying they were wary of inflaming already tense relations with organized labor.

Fred Hagen, president of Hagen Construction in Bensalem, maintained he had never had a problem with the ironworkers union, despite an NLRB order issued just days before Tuesday's indictment that suggested simmering tensions between the two.

The decree barred Edward Sweeney, an ironworkers business agent charged in the federal case, from entering Hagen job sites or threatening employees with violence. Still, Hagen declined to elaborate on the circumstances behind the case.

"I have not personally had any negative experiences with the Ironworkers," he said in an e-mail.

Glenside contractor Steve Kane said he, too, was initially skeptical when police took on the case of an attack on two of his nonunion workers outside a King of Prussia construction site in 2010.

With fists and baseball bats, ironworkers shattered rear windows on his workers' trucks and chased fleeing men, indiscriminately throwing kicks and punches.

Two union members, caught on camera, eventually faced state assault charges. But both accepted plea deals that let them go with minimal jail time.

Upper Merion detectives said they suspected others in the attack, but a lack of cooperation hindered their efforts to build a case.

"I grew up in this city," Kane said. "When it comes to unions, you take care of your own business."

Investigators encountered similar hesitance in building their case against the roofers in the '80s.

"We had tape recordings of people being threatened and hit, and when we asked them about it, they would later deny it ever happened," said Scheff, the prosecutor.

Only by amassing hundreds of stories of fractured jaws and firebombed trucks that had gone unprosecuted for years did authorities eventually persuade witnesses to come forward.

By combining their tales, "there was a feeling that no one witness was going to be in this alone, that there would be enough strength in numbers to bring the truth forward," said LeRoy S. Zimmerman, Pennsylvania attorney general at the time.

Scheff cited another tool as key to assuring convictions - electronic surveillance.

With three microphones installed in the union's headquarters, FBI agents caught union head Stephen Traitz Jr. and others on tape counting out cash and stuffing money into envelopes destined for Philadelphia judges.

Court filings in the ironworkers case suggest prosecutors will again also rely heavily on recorded evidence.

The indictment quotes dozens of texts and conversations in which Dougherty, Sweeney, and other leaders allegedly congratulated one another for pulling off acts of vandalism.

"Nice hit," Sweeney texted the Quaker meetinghouse arsonists the day after the attack.

In another exchange, Dougherty allegedly vetoed a sabotage of a communications tower because it could put the union in the sights of the feds.

Later, indicted ironworkers business agent Francis Sean O'Donnell allegedly chastised a union member for creating a paper trail that could tie the ironworkers to an attempted arson by sending bills to the union for the acetylene and oxygen used in the attack.

Dougherty, who had authorized the action, agreed, saying: "He just got to be careful."

But even with such potentially damaging recordings, the ironworkers case could face hurdles that have plagued similar labor-violence cases.

Unions have repeatedly turned to a 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision to fend off extortion prosecutions. USA v. Enmons barred lower courts from convicting union members under the anti-extortion Hobbs Act for violence tied to "legitimate union objectives," such as campaigning for raises or more union hires.

Lower courts have since differed on where to draw the line.

But federal prosecutors in Philadelphia have sought to avoid such land mines altogether, bringing their cases instead under racketeering laws.

That decision will require them to establish a pattern of behavior among multiple union members, instead of proving individual acts of extortion, said Robert Doren, a New York labor lawyer who often represents developers.

"They understand what arguments they are going to be facing, and it appears they have built their case around them," he said. "They've studied the cookbook on how to present this type of case."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201402...IfrqJgzDc8sL.99

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #765603
02/25/14 06:16 PM
02/25/14 06:16 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
But when it's all said and done, I'm grateful to be in the union and to have a very strong backbone with all the trades.

You don't fuck with the Philly unions. We will burn your house down lol

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: PhillyMob] #765790
02/27/14 01:16 AM
02/27/14 01:16 AM
J
JoeySmokesBalls123 Offline
GONE.
JoeySmokesBalls123  Offline
GONE.
J
Wiseguy
But when it's all said and done, I'm grateful to be in the union and to have a very strong backbone with all the trades.

You don't fuck with the Philly unions. We will burn your house down lol

This guys got HUGE COJONES MANG O O

^^^

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #773618
04/19/14 08:05 PM
04/19/14 08:05 PM
C
cornuto_e_contento Offline
Capo
cornuto_e_contento  Offline
C
Capo
Is anyone actually really surprised about this?

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #773967
04/23/14 03:02 PM
04/23/14 03:02 PM
P
paprincess Offline
Capo
paprincess  Offline
P
Capo
I'd go up there.. they get a lot of protective equipment, you'd just want to check and recheck all of it a few times, it's loud too... a great workout but long hours... hopefully the guys get to take decent breaks and have decent insurance. they would also need decent food and good break times. What happens in the winter? you would also start works so early! Never mind! ummm I'm scared of heights too...

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #822642
01/07/15 01:07 PM
01/07/15 01:07 PM
The Jersey Shore
D
DanteMoltisanti Offline
Underboss
DanteMoltisanti  Offline
D
Underboss
The Jersey Shore

Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #822754
01/07/15 10:17 PM
01/07/15 10:17 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
I know the current case has no connection to the Philly fam, but does anyone know if philly mob had any connections with the iron workers union or any other unions in philly in the past or present?

I know from Leonetti and Caramandis books that philly had hooks in AC local 54 with Bruno and mainly scarfo but jw if they had much labor union involment in Philly itself?

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: mikeyballs211] #822863
01/08/15 12:30 PM
01/08/15 12:30 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
I know the current case has no connection to the Philly fam, but does anyone know if philly mob had any connections with the iron workers union or any other unions in philly in the past or present?

I know from Leonetti and Caramandis books that philly had hooks in AC local 54 with Bruno and mainly scarfo but jw if they had much labor union involment in Philly itself?

The family also had ties to the Roofers and Bartenders Unions there.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #822867
01/08/15 01:09 PM
01/08/15 01:09 PM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
It's very difficult to state that Philly controlled/controls a specific union because the construction industry here is not "booming", nor do the developers have deep pockets, like NYC.

IVY is correct. Bruno/Scarfo had local 54 bartenders and local 30 roofers completely under their control, in terms of using the pension funds like cash registers.

The other trades are a little different. Philly LCN controlled them in the sense that the BA's knew if they fucked with certain LCN-influenced jobs, they were gonna get hurt. The unions had to keep away from certain jobs, and were not allowed to organize certain places.

But, Philly LCN never had a bunch of union reps from different trades completely under their thumb.

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #822937
01/08/15 09:15 PM
01/08/15 09:15 PM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Thanks for the info ivy and nicky..I kind of figured philly had little direct influence in most unions and nicky is def right on about the lack of construction boom here

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: Philly Iron workers indicted [Re: padrone] #822964
01/09/15 07:39 AM
01/09/15 07:39 AM
P
padrone Offline OP
Made Member
padrone  Offline OP
P
Made Member
Nicky is correct. A friends brother has a small contracting firm where he is partnered with a connected guy that is non-union and they are never picketed or bothered. Other jobs in Philly if there is a hint of non-union work going on you get the inflatable rat, bull-horns and guys handing out flyers.

There does seem to be a bit of a construction boom in West Philly around U-Penn.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull