GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 168 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,415
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,817
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,505
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,301
Posts1,058,198
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[Re: paprincess] #771117
04/02/14 05:36 PM
04/02/14 05:36 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: paprincess
I was aware of all the laws and benefits of being married... it's not that I find it "icky" I find it repulsive and I'm sure there are plenty of pretend homosexuals and greedy f*cks that will find a way to use these "rights" to their benefit. Whatever not a big deal... the economy always finds a way to balance itself out.

I'm not going to pretend I would want to see a gay dude take it up the ass but what people do behind closed doors is none my business. As far as I'm concerned you can't deny marriage to someone based on sexual orientation.

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
[Re: olivant] #771178
04/03/14 06:43 AM
04/03/14 06:43 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: olivant

By the way the Pirates are undefeated while the Phillies are 1-1.

I stayed up last night to watch the Buccos win in the 16th while the Phillies blew a 3-1 lead in the ninth. The balance of power is entrenched in the western part of the commonwealth.

[Re: paprincess] #771195
04/03/14 08:04 AM
04/03/14 08:04 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

Re: [Re: klydon1] #771199
04/03/14 08:32 AM
04/03/14 08:32 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

Last edited by SC; 04/03/14 08:32 AM.

Re: Gay Marriage Discussion [Re: SC] #771200
04/03/14 08:33 AM
04/03/14 08:33 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
<adjusting post to reinstate the thread's title>

Last edited by SC; 04/03/14 08:55 AM.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah's gay marriage [Re: paprincess] #771245
04/03/14 02:28 PM
04/03/14 02:28 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: paprincess
I was aware of all the laws and benefits of being married... it's not that I find it "icky" I find it repulsive and I'm sure there are plenty of pretend homosexuals and greedy f*cks that will find a way to use these "rights" to their benefit. Whatever not a big deal... the economy always finds a way to balance itself out.

i became a katy perry fan when i saw her and rihanna feeling on each other at the mtv awards

i would find it hilarious if a man asked his ex husband for alimony or spousal support

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah's gay marriage [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #771505
04/04/14 01:08 PM
04/04/14 01:08 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah's gay marriage [Re: olivant] #771911
04/06/14 02:12 PM
04/06/14 02:12 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

This is all happening very quickly, and my guess is the next time around the Supremes are going to give enforcement in all fifty states to gay marriage to those who moved from those places or who were married there, and who live in backwaters like Florida.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah's gay marriage [Re: dontomasso] #771916
04/06/14 03:18 PM
04/06/14 03:18 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso

This is all happening very quickly, and my guess is the next time around the Supremes are going to give enforcement in all fifty states to gay marriage to those who moved from those places or who were married there, and who live in backwaters like Florida.

I think the Court will extend recognition of gay marriage but only per Article IV's full faith and credit clause. Total recognition of gay marriage will be a function of the 14th amendment's interpretation and will come down to Justice Kennedy.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah's gay marriage [Re: olivant] #771945
04/07/14 01:55 AM
04/07/14 01:55 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

I think the Court will extend recognition of gay marriage but only per Article IV's full faith and credit clause. Total recognition of gay marriage will be a function of the 14th amendment's interpretation and will come down to Justice Kennedy.

Agreed Oli. It ill be full faith and credit. Seems like the 14th is going out of style.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah's gay marriage [Re: dontomasso] #772088
04/07/14 04:50 PM
04/07/14 04:50 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Agreed Oli. It ill be full faith and credit. Seems like the 14th is going out of style.

Just to be sure what I meant was I think the Court will opine that states have to recognize gay marriages performed in other states. However, I don't think they'll strike down all gay marriage laws and constitution content in all states.

[Re: ronnierocketAGO] #772119
04/08/14 01:56 AM
04/08/14 01:56 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
But, but I heard that if gay marriage becomes legal I will have to pretend to be gay to get benefits... rolleyes

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #772158
04/08/14 08:58 AM
04/08/14 08:58 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Test (to bring down thread title)

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #779301
05/20/14 04:49 PM
05/20/14 04:49 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Add my home Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to the list of states that now recognize same-sex marriages. A federal judge from the Middle District struck down PA's ban of same-sex marriage. It doesn't appear that the governor will appeal as it is an election year (primaries today).

The decision was written by Judge John E. Jones, whose most famous decision was the order rejecting the Dover, PA school district's attempt to insert creationism/intelligent design in the science curriculum alongside the teaching of evolution.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: klydon1] #779306
05/20/14 04:52 PM
05/20/14 04:52 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Add my home Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to the list of states that now recognize same-sex marriages. A federal judge from the Middle District struck down PA's ban of same-sex marriage. It doesn't appear that the governor will appeal as it is an election year (primaries today).

The decision was written by Judge John E. Jones, whose most famous decision was the order rejecting the Dover, PA school district's attempt to insert creationism/intelligent design in the science curriculum alongside the teaching of evolution.

And on cue, here comes Ivy to take activist judges and give them what for . . . . . . . .

lol lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: pizzaboy] #779414
05/21/14 11:54 AM
05/21/14 11:54 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

And on cue, here comes Ivy to take activist judges and give them what for . . . . . . . .

lol lol

I've said pretty much all I can say.

I just don't want anyone trying to deny these are activist judges who are overstepping their bounds. There's something wrong when a single power-hungry judge can twist the law to fit his or her warped interpretation and overrule the will of the majority of the people in a state.

Even though I think gay marriage is an abomination, and anyone who supports it is morally bankrupt, I'm content to let those states where the people want it to have it. The same should be allowed for those states that don't. But liberals have never wanted this because, as we've seen here, few states would allow it. So they force their sick, Godless agendas through the courts via corrupt lawyers and judges.

And the thought that it all could come down to one guy on the Supreme Court (Kennedy) is really scary. But I guess we can thank President Obama...Mr. Self-Professed Christian...oh wait...and supporter of traditional marriage...oh wait...for his Supreme Court appointments.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 05/21/14 11:56 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: IvyLeague] #779415
05/21/14 12:00 PM
05/21/14 12:00 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

lol lol

I've said pretty much all I can say.

I just don't want anyone trying to deny these are activist judges who are overstepping their bounds. There's something wrong when a single power-hungry judge can twist the law to fit his or her warped interpretation and overrule the will of the majority of the people in a state.

Even though I think gay marriage is an abomination, and anyone who supports it is morally bankrupt, I'm content to let those states where the people want it to have it. The same should be allowed for those states that don't. But liberals have never wanted this because, as we've seen here, few states would allow it. So they force their sick, Godless agendas through the courts via corrupt lawyers and judges.

And the thought that it all could come down to one guy on the Supreme Court (Kennedy) is really scary. But I guess we can thank President Obama...Mr. Self-Professed Christian...oh wait...and supporter of traditional marriage...oh wait...for his Supreme Court appointments.

who should take the blame for all the children being held captive in polygamy or cults?

i mean who should we blame in utah for that debauchery

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: cookcounty] #779418
05/21/14 12:07 PM
05/21/14 12:07 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: cookcounty
who should take the blame for all the children being held captive in polygamy or cults?

i mean who should we blame in utah for that debauchery

Yeah, that's it. When all else fails attack a man's religion rolleyes.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #779510
05/21/14 07:09 PM
05/21/14 07:09 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
When twelve separate federal courts and seven state courts come to the same conclusion that prohibitions against marriage, based on sexual orientation, are unconstitutional, it's time to stop whining about activist and rogue judges, especially when there has not been a decision upholding the ban.

It is long established that the right to marry is embedded in the right to liberty under the XIV Amendment. Interpreting laws that affect fundamental rights of citizens, especially suspect classifications is the role of the judiciary, and not the legislature. This is made clear in Article III.

Moreover, where the legislature operates on majoritarian principles, the judiciary has been specifically designed not to operate in this fashion because constitutional rights are not subject to the whims of popular opinion.

Constitutional challenges to marriage laws are properly decided in courts of law. In each of these cases the courts properly framed the issue of whether the prohibition of marriage, based on sexual orientation is substantially related to a compelling or important government interest. And in each case the state could not present such an argument.

By the way, Judge Jones was appointed to the bench by George W. Bush. He's also a devout Lutheran.

The issue (not the PA case as Governor Ridge indicated that the commonwealth will not appeal the decision) will eventually come before the Supreme Court probably in a few years. There will be several consolidated cases. Perhaps the composition of the Court will be different, but you can probably bet that the opinion will be assigned to Kennedy. Don't be surprised if Roberts rules that same-sex marriage bans violate the due process and equal protection clauses and it's a 6-3 vote. He can see the precedent of cases in the past 10-15 years and has a unique sense of his historical standing as Chief Justice, and he wouldn't want to be caught on the wrong side of history. It will be hard for him not to apply heightened scrutiny in his review.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #779517
05/21/14 08:32 PM
05/21/14 08:32 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Who cares whether gay people get married or not. Not my business let them get married. Then when they divorce lawyers can do a job on them like they do with straight people.

What I don't like is teaching 6 yr olds about aids and HIV during aids awareness week. Like they did in the public school system last week. Without asking permission from their parents first. They did not ask because they knew a parent would say no to that request. They are a bunch of scumbags

only the unloved hate
Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: klydon1] #779522
05/21/14 09:53 PM
05/21/14 09:53 PM
M
MikeyO Offline
BANNED
MikeyO  Offline
BANNED
M
Capo
When twelve separate federal courts and seven state courts come to the same conclusion that prohibitions against marriage, based on sexual orientation, are unconstitutional, it's time to stop whining about activist and rogue judges, especially when there has not been a decision upholding the ban.

It is long established that the right to marry is embedded in the right to liberty under the XIV Amendment. Interpreting laws that affect fundamental rights of citizens, especially suspect classifications is the role of the judiciary, and not the legislature. This is made clear in Article III.

Moreover, where the legislature operates on majoritarian principles, the judiciary has been specifically designed not to operate in this fashion because constitutional rights are not subject to the whims of popular opinion.

Constitutional challenges to marriage laws are properly decided in courts of law. In each of these cases the courts properly framed the issue of whether the prohibition of marriage, based on sexual orientation is substantially related to a compelling or important government interest. And in each case the state could not present such an argument.

By the way, Judge Jones was appointed to the bench by George W. Bush. He's also a devout Lutheran.

The issue (not the PA case as Governor Ridge indicated that the commonwealth will not appeal the decision) will eventually come before the Supreme Court probably in a few years. There will be several consolidated cases. Perhaps the composition of the Court will be different, but you can probably bet that the opinion will be assigned to Kennedy. Don't be surprised if Roberts rules that same-sex marriage bans violate the due process and equal protection clauses and it's a 6-3 vote. He can see the precedent of cases in the past 10-15 years and has a unique sense of his historical standing as Chief Justice, and he wouldn't want to be caught on the wrong side of history. It will be hard for him not to apply heightened scrutiny in his review.

We need Tom Wolf!

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: MikeyO] #779553
05/22/14 05:41 AM
05/22/14 05:41 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: MikeyO

We need Tom Wolf!

It will be quite a run-off in November. Corbett's approval ratings hit rock bottom this past winter, and Wolf, who's from my area, rose from obscurity in a lackluster field of Democrats to run away with the nomination.

Corbett may not recover politically from having dramatically slashed the education budget, but he showed an ability to get things done and build bipartisan bridges with the transportation bill.

Incumbent governors never lose in PA. Corbett may be the first.

(By the way, in my earlier post I referred to the governor as Ridge. What the hell was I thinking? He was three governors ago.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: klydon1] #779575
05/22/14 10:04 AM
05/22/14 10:04 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

You can't argue several judges coming to the same conclusion as evidence they got it right. Gays having the "right" to marry is no more embedded in the XIV Amendment than woman having the "right" to have an abortion is found in IV amendment. The Constitution says what it says and anything else should be left up to the states. But that's where activist lawyers and judges, and their liberal supporters, twist and pervert the Constitution to say anything they want it to say. The laws are eventually no longer based on what the Founders actually intended but on case precedent based on the bone headed ruling of one judge or another. When you have a group of supreme court judges all looking at the same case, and going by the same laws, and yet coming out with different rulings, that shows you some are actually going by what the law says and others have some other agenda. And what the hell does that mean, the "wrong side of history?" Even if the majority of people eventually came to believe gay marriage was OK, and it was the law of the land across the nation, it wouldn't automatically make it right.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 05/22/14 10:07 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: IvyLeague] #779595
05/22/14 11:01 AM
05/22/14 11:01 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
[You can't argue several judges coming to the same conclusion as evidence they got it right. Gays having the "right" to marry is no more embedded in the XIV Amendment than woman having the "right" to have an abortion is found in IV amendment. The Constitution says what it says and anything else should be left up to the states. But that's where activist lawyers and judges, and their liberal supporters, twist and pervert the Constitution to say anything they want it to say. The laws are eventually no longer based on what the Founders actually intended but on case precedent based on the bone headed ruling of one judge or another. When you have a group of supreme court judges all looking at the same case, and going by the same laws, and yet coming out with different rulings, that shows you some are actually going by what the law says and others have some other agenda. And what the hell does that mean, the "wrong side of history?" Even if the majority of people eventually came to believe gay marriage was OK, and it was the law of the land across the nation, it wouldn't automatically make it right.

First of all, you are quite wrong on your belief that the basis for Roe v. Wade was the IV Amendment. You have posted this multiple times, and you're misinformed. Roe rests on substantive due process of the XIV Amendment, which protects fundamental unenumerated rights "implicit in the concept of ordered liberty."

Your application of Constitutional principles is appallingly narrowminded and contrary to what the framers intended. How do you account for the IX Amendment if the Constitution is an exhaustible list of rights? The Constitution is not statutory law, but constitutionalism requires applying the principles of the document (broadly spelled out, rather than narrowly crafted, like statutes) to laws passed by legislatures.

Because marriage, procreation, family decisions, etc. aren't specifically mentioned in the constitution doesn't mean that laws affecting these rights should not be held up to the constitutional mandates of due process and equal protection, guaranteed in the XIV.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: klydon1] #779599
05/22/14 11:25 AM
05/22/14 11:25 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

First of all, you are quite wrong on your belief that the basis for Roe v. Wade was the IV Amendment. You have posted this multiple times, and you're misinformed. Roe rests on substantive due process of the XIV Amendment, which protects fundamental unenumerated rights "implicit in the concept of ordered liberty."

Thanks for proving my point.

"Substantive due process of the XIV Amendment, which protects fundamental unenumerated rights "implicit in the concept of ordered liberty."

In other words, we'll just go ahead and assume this is what the Founders meant or stretch the original intention so far out of wack to justify anything we want.

Quote:
Your application of Constitutional principles is appallingly narrowminded and contrary to what the framers intended. How do you account for the IX Amendment if the Constitution is an exhaustible list of rights? The Constitution is not statutory law, but constitutionalism requires applying the principles of the document (broadly spelled out, rather than narrowly crafted, like statutes) to laws passed by legislatures.

Because marriage, procreation, family decisions, etc. aren't specifically mentioned in the constitution doesn't mean that laws affecting these rights should not be held up to the constitutional mandates of due process and equal protection, guaranteed in the XIV.

Not "norrowminded," just going by what the Constitution actually says and not buying into this it being a "living, breathing" document BS that lawyers like yourself use as the basis for making new laws based on perversion of the Constitution.

You and I both know there is nothing the Founders put in the Constitution that would have ever justified support for gay marriage. Rather, you take a basic principle found there, bastardize it with a bunch of legalese mumbo jumbo, and misuse it to justify gay marriage.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 05/22/14 11:28 AM.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: IvyLeague] #779611
05/22/14 01:04 PM
05/22/14 01:04 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Ivy, here is a news flash. the Founding Fathers did not believe in "original intent." The proof is that they provided for a process to amend the constitution (which only allowed white male property owners to vote, governors to appoint senators and slavery). As Michael Corleone said, "tempi cambi." The founders were in favor of amendments. Get over it.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: IvyLeague] #779642
05/22/14 03:06 PM
05/22/14 03:06 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

"Substantive due process of the XIV Amendment, which protects fundamental unenumerated rights "implicit in the concept of ordered liberty."

In other words, we'll just go ahead and assume this is what the Founders meant or stretch the original intention so far out of wack to justify anything we want.

That's an inference or spin, based on ignorance. If you were familiar with the standards and tests developed to determine when restrictive laws rise to the level of creating an undue burden on personal liberty, such that the law is unconstitutional, you wouldn't resort to the hysterical cry of the ill-informed: "They're just doing anything they want." And I guess you're still looking up the IX Amendment on Wikipedia.

It's funny how you hailed and cheered a year ago when the Court struck down part of the Civil Rights Act on what many considered an infringement on the legislative branch. Hypocrisy.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: dontomasso] #779647
05/22/14 03:18 PM
05/22/14 03:18 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Ivy, here is a news flash. the Founding Fathers did not believe in "original intent." The proof is that they provided for a process to amend the constitution (which only allowed white male property owners to vote, governors to appoint senators and slavery). As Michael Corleone said, "tempi cambi." The founders were in favor of amendments. Get over it.

This

When Interpol?
Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: IvyLeague] #779659
05/22/14 04:30 PM
05/22/14 04:30 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
[
You and I both know there is nothing the Founders put in the Constitution that would have ever justified support for gay marriage. Rather, you take a basic principle found there, bastardize it with a bunch of legalese mumbo jumbo, and misuse it to justify gay marriage.

What the founders thought about constitutional rights concerning marriage is irrelevant. They were all dead before the XIV Amendment was passed. They were never aware of the Incorporation Clause, The Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause and how they apply to laws that discriminate against a classification of citizens.

Re: Federal judge strikes down Utah’s gay marriage ban [Re: dontomasso] #779662
05/22/14 04:37 PM
05/22/14 04:37 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

Moreover, those framers of the Constitution, who happened to be congressmen, stood mute in the formative years when Congress discussed and had to iron out apparent conflicting provisions in the Constitution. Madison especially followed this practice and even sealed his historic notes from the Constitution for thirty years, lest subsequent congresses relied too heavily on the framers' opinions and not on their own sensibilities concerning a working government under the Constitution.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull