GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Capri, Jimmy_Two_Times), 111 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,095
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,284
Hollander 23,355
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,487
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,216
Posts1,056,191
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How Would Sol Get to Vito? #743338
10/07/13 04:19 PM
10/07/13 04:19 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Michael kills Sol and McCluskey because he and Sonny want him dead, and because Michael thinks that the "key" for Sol is to "kill Pop." My question is "How?" Strike one was that the hit men did not kill him when he was at his most vulnerable. Strike two was when McCluskey called off his guards at the hospital but was thwarted by Michael and Hagen's legal maneuvering. After that Vito returned to his Mall, and he was too sick to be out in public all of the time. In fact the only times ever was seen to leave the mall again was when he went to Bonasera's funeral home and when he went to make the deal to sell drugs and bring Michael home. Otherwise he would have been under very tight security, and other than getting someone inside the family to do it a' la the drapes in II, how would Sol have killed him?
As Sol himself said, " I missed my chance."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: How Would Sol Get to Vito? [Re: dontomasso] #743347
10/07/13 04:56 PM
10/07/13 04:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
DT, it wasn't until February 1946 that Vito was moved from the hospital to the Mall. If the attempt on Vito took place in December, Sollozzo would have had several weeks at least to attempt another murder. Keep in mind that after Vito was admitted to the hospital, Sonny didn't know how long he would have to be there.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: How Would Sol Get to Vito? [Re: olivant] #743349
10/07/13 05:01 PM
10/07/13 05:01 PM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

Yes but didn't the armed guards they got make it impossible to penetrate the hospital? I mean they would have to screen all the nurses, doctors and even the meds given to Vito, but with security that tight I wonder if Barzini wold tel Sol to back off.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: How Would Sol Get to Vito? [Re: dontomasso] #743365
10/07/13 06:41 PM
10/07/13 06:41 PM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
No way,no how, is Sol going to get a chance to hit Vito in the hospital. Between the "private detectives" and the Corleone guys,any unusual activity is going to be noticed and dealt with immediately. Any ripple in the normal routine,any new face on the staff,the newspaper coming five minutes late,any thing out of place would shut the place up tight as a vault.

Having said that,Sollozzo may have been successful using unconventional means.Let's say that he had a contact who could have poisoned Vito's food while it was being made,or an employee who would go on the take to spike Vito's IV bottle.

If he didn't get killed in the hospital,I agree that Vito would not have been an easy target once he got home,and Sol would not have had another crack at him.

Re: How Would Sol Get to Vito? [Re: dontomasso] #743376
10/07/13 07:53 PM
10/07/13 07:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Yes but didn't the armed guards they got make it impossible to penetrate the hospital? I mean they would have to screen all the nurses, doctors and even the meds given to Vito, but with security that tight I wonder if Barzini wold tel Sol to back off.

As Michael opined after returning from the hospital: "And with that police captain helping him who knows what the hell might happen. We can't take that chance."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: How Would Sol Get to Vito? [Re: olivant] #743390
10/07/13 09:26 PM
10/07/13 09:26 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
It was a matter of life and death for Sol--every day, a hundred of Sonny's button men were on the streets hunting for him. The clock was ticking. Sol would have tried anything--anything at all--to kill Vito, even if it came to bribing or coercing someone on the medical staff of the hospital to poison Vito before he could be moved to the mall.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: How Would Sol Get to Vito? [Re: Turnbull] #743457
10/08/13 11:17 AM
10/08/13 11:17 AM
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

I am convinced Oli and TB are right on this one, which would mean that Sonny and Michael were right as well. Given that when you watch the scene play out, it is Sonny who first tells Tom he wants Sol dead, and it is Tom who taks him out of it, in order to "patch things up." It is only when Tom prevails on Sonny and Sonny says, "I'll wait," does Michael speak up. His approach is very cold blooded, and very well reasoned. He gets Tom on board by selling him the idea that they can get newspaper people on the payroll to smear McCluskey and minimize the murder of a police captain. Then after Sonny mocks him, Michael convinves him be coldly telling him "Its not personal. Its business." It is at that moment that Michael becomes the de facto head of the family.

Re: How Would Sol Get to Vito? [Re: dontomasso] #744814
10/17/13 05:25 PM
10/17/13 05:25 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
I always figured that it meant not immediately, but if Sollozzo was allowed to live he would make peace and then later finish the job.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: How Would Sol Get to Vito? [Re: dontomasso] #751577
12/04/13 08:13 PM
12/04/13 08:13 PM
Buffalo,New York
frankg2469 Offline
A.K.A. Benny Squint
frankg2469  Offline
A.K.A. Benny Squint
Button
Buffalo,New York
I think it's perfectly clear that Sollozzo is still going to try to have Vito killed one way or another during the restaurant chat between him and Michael.When Michael says that he wants a guarantee that there will be no more attempts on his father's life,Sollozzo says that he can't give one and only wants a truce.This was the key part of the whole discussion----it confirms beyond a shadow of a doubt Michael's belief that Sollozzo was never going to stop trying to eliminate Vito until he was unable to do so----A.K.A. HE'S DEAD !!!! I know Sollozzo goes into that whole spiel about being the hunted one,missing his chance,etcetera,but his initial reflexive answer revealed the truth.Michael even shows a slight hint of recognition(great acting,Al)upon hearing this.The conversation is over at this point and Michael is determined to get it over with as quickly as possible.

Last edited by frankg2469; 12/04/13 08:15 PM.

"A mook---what's a mook ?" Johnny Boy Civello

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull